Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

josh04 posted:

Now you have an even bigger insane VFX workload, and proportionally less money to spend on it. You think these Cats look bad, these are the best Cats money can buy. TV grade VFX cats are beyond mortal conception.

And the second time.

I figure they'd be in something closer to the stage costumes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
cats?? cats and politics??

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Uncle Wemus posted:

did robotnik nudes ever return from his acid trip

I think so.

It was a strange experience. My sense of body and being a cat or not, not to mention my perception of my own cat was pretty messed up for a while and I got to spend six hours with
SKIM
BLE
SHANKS
THE
RAIL
WAY CAT

Running in my head on a hell-loop.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The Little Death posted:

The second time was interesting because up until that point I'd been willing to treat at least some of what happened in the musical numbers as non-diegetic. Then she uses her unzipping skin to escape her chains, and that second time my skin crawled like I had tap-dancing roaches with human faces underneath it.

It's not a film willing to let you assume or forget anything. See: the return of the child-mice where they plead for their lives.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Why was Idris Elba the only cat with abs?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I think there's a coherent logical line from understanding that the appeal of Cats is the performances -> filmed play performances not translating well to film (and also already existing) -> using CG as a way to give the performances themselves a cinematic texture (rather than just overhauling the plot, sets, etc. to make them more 'filmic', operate in 3D space, etc.).
I think its actually a pretty clever solution, adding a degree of wonder @ the technical skill involved in reproducing the technical skill of the performers (and also, pretty clearly showcasing the performers, like Rum-Tum-Tugger, over the priorities of the actors conveying 'plot').
obviously the inconsistency of the cg makes that 'wonder' maybe more like 'bafflement' or disorientation but the movie leans into that with its canted angles & as mentioned, the sort of weird purgatorial undertones of this dimly-lit totally uninhabited space, which, with the Jenny-Any-Dots performance creates this instant sort of aesthetic sensibility that immediately has u wondering like...what would a 'dog' look like here ? U watch the cat tap dance and its conceptually and literally baffling, but genuinely surprising & impressive, if ur open to it anyways

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

literally me closing this tab and opening up fandango.com

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

DeimosRising posted:

Who the gently caress would want to watch that

I mean you wouldn't axe every single one, it would just be Disney-movie levels of songs rather than "the entire thing is songs"

Jellicle Cats, Rum Tum Tugger, Skimbleshanks and Memory would all stay full songs in this idea off the top of my head (because you literally can't get rid of the first and last and still call it Cats, and the middle two are actually good songs)

e: But I mean, like, Jennyanydots doesn't need a full song, Macavity in theory needs one but his villain song sucks so bare minimum he'd need a different one, Mister Mistofelees' song isn't terrible but is just conceptually weird and could probably go without issues

There's songs you'd have to keep, but there's also plenty that you could cut and just do what I said and have it hurt nothing

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Dec 28, 2019

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Hat Thoughts posted:

-> (and also) -> as a way to (rather than etc. 'filmic', , etc.).
solution, @ the technical skill in the technical skill of (and also, pretty clearly, like, 'plot').
makes 'wonder' maybe more like 'bafflement' or disorientation but that with & as mentioned, , which, with has u like...'dog' ? U, but &, if ur

I thought it would be interesting to shorten your post but otherwise keep the structure intact.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Theater kids would burn down the theaters if they cut Mr. Mistofoles song

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I hope to god this movie hits Netflix in March or something, I wanna see it again but can’t really justify paying to see it again.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Dumb Lowtax posted:

I thought it would be interesting to shorten your post but otherwise keep the structure intact.

i dont know computer (proudly) but enjoy coding bootcamp soldier

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

https://twitter.com/lrbarrit/status/1210725282543357952

😿😿

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The Little Death posted:

The second time was interesting because up until that point I'd been willing to treat at least some of what happened in the musical numbers as non-diegetic. Then she uses her unzipping skin to escape her chains, and that second time my skin crawled like I had tap-dancing roaches with human faces underneath it.

Like I said, nightmare logic.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Hat Thoughts posted:

i dont know computer (proudly) but enjoy coding bootcamp soldier

No computer stuff here, that's literally the weird symbols and dividers that you typed with your actual keys

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Robotnik Nudes posted:

Theater kids would burn down the theaters if they cut Mr. Mistofoles song

It's iconic to Cats as a stage musical, but even by the standards of this musical it's kind of inexplicable, and in the movie it didn't match up very well with his characterization outside the song (where he seems to be kind of a barely-tolerated dingus rather than the adored Cat David Copperfield the song portrays him as)

I feel like it's the kind of cut you could justify by saying that it doesn't work in a movie that's not just 1:1 Literally The Musical

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

https://twitter.com/LouisPeitzman/status/1210217574442635265

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

That's literally the only moment of any song in the entire musical that's stuck in my head, but it plays in my brain 24/7 and I don't know how to stop it.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
I'm guessing the trailer doesn't do this justice? I mean, I've never had any interest in CATS but the musical was just annoying singing and dancing people in 80s cat makeup and this movie looks like the same thing only they're in 2010s cat CGI.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Dumb Lowtax posted:

No computer stuff here, that's literally the weird symbols and dividers that you typed with your actual keys

Woah..😯 thats so crazy

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

I'm guessing the trailer doesn't do this justice? I mean, I've never had any interest in CATS but the musical was just annoying singing and dancing people in 80s cat makeup and this movie looks like the same thing only they're in 2010s cat CGI.

There is a drat good reason this thread is as big and stupid as it is.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

As far as I can tell they tried to make the cats more cat-like, and it drops it so firmly at the bottom of the uncanny valley that it is, as other have said, like watching a nightmare. It's not even repulsive, just wrong in some fundamental way that makes you squirm.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

weekly font posted:

There is a drat good reason this thread is as big and stupid as it is.

At this point I'm convinced goons are responsible for at least a fifth of this movie's box office.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
OK, this post here is kind of selling the absurdity to me, I admit:

goodog posted:

I got to see the version without the FX patches, since they didn't bother shipping it overseas. In a small way the missing CGI makes it better, since you visualise what the poor actors were doing on a sound stage. Its like how that leaked workprint of Wolverine is better than the finished movie.

The parts with Memory is so bad and proud of itself that it's offensive. Because Tom Hooper blatantly repeated his own gimmick from Les Mis. Les Mis is a bad movie, but the scene with I Dreamed a Dream was praised because it worked around Anne Hathaway's limitations as a singer. She acts the hell out of it and the static closeup gives her space to work.

Jennifer Hudson on the other hand, is a professional singer. There's no reason to compensate by zooming in on her face for 5 minutes. Just like there's no reason to make her try an English accent which interferes with the song. There's no emotion in her face because its covered in CGI. They added CGI boogers running down from her nose to her lips. I feel so bad for her.

They repeat the song three times because its the one people know the most. The second time is during the climax, but then it cuts to cat Judi Dench with a completely blank expression. Everyone in the theatre burst out laughing.

I feel so drained. I feel like its stopped me from thinking in a linear fashion. I wish I could describe it tersely. gently caress James Corden.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
When is this poo poo out on blu ray?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Delthalaz posted:

When is this poo poo out on blu ray?

It just hit theaters a few weeks ago. Probably March-ish.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

OK, this post here is kind of selling the absurdity to me, I admit:

I'd disagree with most of that. I felt real emotion in her performance and I'm sure she was actually crying (though no doubt you'd have to CG that into the face replacement.) Totally glad the camera was just on her face and not swooping around.

I didn't know Ray Winstone was gonna be in the movie. I want a sequel based solely on his cat (but he might have died?)

Cats>Rise of Skywalker

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Dec 28, 2019

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
if theres one thing that Cats lore makes clear it is that death is not an end

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Is there a novelization of CATS? No T.S. Eliot please

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Timby posted:

At this point I'm convinced goons are responsible for at least a fifth of this movie's box office.

Wouldn't be too hard.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Wouldn't be too hard.

:thejoke:

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Fun thread on r/vfx with artists recriminating over who's to blame: https://www.reddit.com/r/vfx/comments/efw594/somethings_for_us_to_learn_after_cats_fiasco/

quote:

Just want to add my perspective on it. You’re right, the post is not what I saw working on cats.

The shadow renders using the lidar were beyond hosed, so many shots had to be done by compers trying their best to mask back in plate shadows and then get the tails from the shadow passes, which was a huge challenge when the cg bodies were either a) a different size to the actors’ bodies, or more commonly b) the rotoanim was just not even close to the plate.

All the prep work was also done extremely poorly, and huge areas would be softened, different hues, or sometimes even denoised in small patches or have a frameheld grain in some areas but not others. Of course, it was too late to send that poo poo back, but it had all been approved in aug-sept...

Mpc ldn would send a list of shots they wanted finalled each day, and you’d just have to put on some music and think about your ot meal orders while trying to polish turds with virtually no qc, one round of dailies, and almost no kickbacks.

Towards the end, the tasks were just to get working wips out for each shot, which are probably the worst ones that are being roasted hardest.

Often cats were missing layers, lights, and cryptos were unusably broken. But you couldn’t ask for a rerender unless there was something egregious like a whole cat missing.

The show was one uphill battle for every artist and sup involved, with a client that could only identify what they don’t like and not offer any clues as to how to get to what they did like.

We did what we could

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Lol I forgot that they rotoscoped the whole thing. No wonder they missed so many little details. Jesus I feel bad for those animators.

E: I realize that's the only way things like the hand could possibly happen, but like that is an enormous amount of work to take on for a production as heavily stylized as this.

That piece mentions the other big nightmare part of the movie, that the cats vary wildly in size from scene to scene in ways that are totally disorienting. When the dog is barking at the door it looks like it would be a Cerberus sized animal next to the cats.

Also the mice and roaches are the proportion size for humans, not cats.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Dec 28, 2019

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

Another post on the VFX subreddit says that after Tom Hooper hated the work of the first VFX studio he hired, the parent company outsourced it to another studio they owned. In India.

The Indian team had assisted on The Lion King but were totally unable to handle Cats by themselves. So their sister studio in London was brought in to work on some key components. Trouble is, the departments that specialize in that sort of thing had been decimated after The Lion King was completed.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

goodog posted:

Another post on the VFX subreddit says that after Tom Hooper hated the work of the first VFX studio he hired, the parent company outsourced it to another studio they owned. In India.

The Indian team had assisted on The Lion King but were totally unable to handle Cats by themselves. So their sister studio in London was brought in to work on some key components. Trouble is, the departments that specialize in that sort of thing had been decimated after The Lion King was completed.

Tom Hooper is the guy who thought the SPLAT in Les Mis was a good idea, so gently caress him anyway.

(It's terrible to see effects studios wrecked because of underbidding and being over-worked.)

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Mister Mistofelees is a girl cat.
'And not long ago, this phenomenal cat produced seven kittens right out of a hat'
He's a girl cat. The family thought he was a boy cat and then he had kittens so whoops, no, he's a girl cat, that is the joke
It's a poem for children!!

I'm glad everyone else knows Skimbleshanks now, I was a fan of the direct-to-video production back in the day and he is definitely the best cat.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

What is the splat?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

The Saddest Rhino posted:

What is the splat?

when Javert hurls himself off a bridge to his tragic death, there's a hilarious misplaced 'crunch' noise when he hits the weir beneath. It's amazing.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
In the les Miserables movie, Javert leaps to his death with an awkward, anticlimactic splap

https://youtu.be/hRzvdQh8D2Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Teenage Fansub posted:

I didn't know Ray Winstone was gonna be in the movie. I want a sequel based solely on his cat (but he might have died?)

Good news, there's an entire ten minute musical number in the original show all about his character, Growltiger! it is traditionally cut from all showings after the original theater run in the 80s because it is incredibly, uncomfortably racist