Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Nice uh, um, manatee defense. Loser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Elephant Ambush posted:

Only because you asked me too. I disagree that it's embarrassing to fight against bigots but okay.

:goonsay:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

Only because you asked me too. I disagree that it's embarrassing to fight against bigots but okay.

It's not embarrassing to do that.

It's also not at all what you're doing in this thread, and what you are doing is deeply embarrassing and offensive

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Spanish Manlove posted:

Nice uh, um, manatee defense. Loser.

You get a gold starfish, for effort

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Fantastic Flyer posted:

Not nearly as long as Jim's face :cawg:

:laffo: fair enough

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Yeah motherfucker, how do you like the taste of that dolphin dive

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Heath posted:

I don't think it ever reached this scale but I think that yes, that has in fact been suggested if not necessarily acted upon. Somewhere in the far reaches of my memory I feel like there has been at least one major purge of ATRDW for things skirting the line of hentai. I am fuzzy on details and maybe someone with a longer memory than me can elaborate.

There have been multiple adtrw purges over the years

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Spanish Manlove posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8yVv5cRHic

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Spanish Manlove posted:

franco im curious whether you remember PMing me when i was a babby poster and offering to help me post better :shobon:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm not sure what "sealioning" means, so I'm just gonna take that as my cue to go to bed. Can someone PM me and let me know if I have to tell Elephant Ambush to gently caress off in the morning please? Thank you.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Krankenstyle posted:

There have been multiple adtrw purges over the years

The only specific thing I can seem to remember involved some kind of Anime Which Shall Not Be Named that featured a teacher's questionable relationship with his very young student, and the fans of the show getting run off or banned from discussing hit, hence the refusal of posters to name it (also I'm not actually sure what it's called)

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'm not sure what "sealioning" means, so I'm just gonna take that as my cue to go to bed. Can someone PM me and let me know if I have to tell Elephant Ambush to gently caress off in the morning please? Thank you.

i do not believe you were sealioning but here is the definition of it

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Stop being such goons, you CLODS!

CascadeBeta has directed all anger at transphobes and bad faith posters exclusively and a lot of effort has been made to paint every post as "hysterical" to make it seem like the transphobes were the calm rational correct ones.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Reopen QCS.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

razorrozar posted:

franco im curious whether you remember PMing me when i was a babby poster and offering to help me post better :shobon:

I remember, but I guarantee no one would believe you in that I actually did try to put forth effort into making things better.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

yeah there are probably still a couple people making fun of posters who post embarrassing poo poo x and y because they hold those posters' identity/race/etc in contempt, and I acknowledge that mocking bad posts can provide camouflage for such behavior that shouldn't be tolerated. Hopefully the forthcoming transfer mod will be able to suss out the bad actors

I don't believe that to be the case for most posters however, or that it's surreal to think that there are bad posts worth making fun of on their own merits

ps. the new posters that came after reopening should be looked at especially skeptically in thsi regard

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

razorrozar posted:

Asking for evidence and responses and expressing civility is a form of harassment now? Am I reading this right?

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

razorrozar posted:

Here's the comic that originated the term as well:

http://wondermark.com/1k62/

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

razorrozar posted:

she has a lot to be angry about, and regardless of whether you want to make fun of her posting you should not make fun of her or anyone else for being a member of a minority and fyadites are continuing to do that under a thin veneer of deniability and you are posting in bad faith so im going to disengage from you now. toodles

Fwiw, as a non fyad poster, it really reads like making fun of CascadeBeta's posts, at least now (but lots of transphobic posts got people banned in the last couple weeks for sure). I'm not saying that in a tone policing way or anything, just like, if she'd made those posts as a Star Citizen subforum poster complaining about fyad mocking Star Citizen-obsessed people in that forum (like replace trans with star citizen in her posts), she'd be getting no sympathy as a victim of fyad bullying.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Heath posted:

Asking for evidence and responses and expressing civility is a form of harassment now? Am I reading this right?

Pretty much, yeah. Welcome to modern discourse

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Spanish Manlove posted:

I remember, but I guarantee no one would believe you in that I actually did try to put forth effort into making things better.

it is possible that there is an irreparable divide between our personal definitions of good posting.

regardless i still appreciate that you reached out to me :tipshat:

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Heath posted:

it's contingent on perceived false civility, which is not at all easy to project on someone you disagree with

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017

Heath posted:

The only specific thing I can seem to remember involved some kind of Anime Which Shall Not Be Named that featured a teacher's questionable relationship with his very young student, and the fans of the show getting run off or banned from discussing hit, hence the refusal of posters to name it (also I'm not actually sure what it's called)

That series was really, really, really bad. It cannot be overstated just how terrible it is and you're better off not knowing the name.

Fantastic Flyer has a new favorite as of 08:47 on Dec 28, 2019

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

sourdough posted:

Fwiw, as a non fyad poster, it really reads like making fun of CascadeBeta's posts, at least now (but lots of transphobic posts got people banned in the last couple weeks for sure). I'm not saying that in a tone policing way or anything, just like, if she'd made those posts as a Star Citizen subforum poster complaining about fyad mocking Star Citizen-obsessed people in that forum (like replace trans with star citizen in her posts), she'd be getting no sympathy as a victim of fyad bullying.

if you do not see the difference between mocking someone for something they have control over like being a Star Citizen fan and mocking someone for something they have no control over like being transgender then we have very little to say to each other, im afraid

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Heath posted:

if you're going to accuse others here of maligning you it would do well to back it up with facts rather than framing it as incredulous rhetoric.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

razorrozar posted:

it is possible that there is an irreparable divide between our personal definitions of good posting.

regardless i still appreciate that you reached out to me :tipshat:

I have lost the will to actually try unless I'm really bored or I'm posting about guitars

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Jonathan Fisk posted:

it's contingent on perceived false civility, which is not at all easy to project on someone you disagree with

"Bad faith" does seem to be the word of the day around here nowadays, as calling something "bad faith" appears to absolve anyone of having to respond to a point because it's simply assumed to be self-evident that the argument has no merit because the person saying it is a bad actor, or else they wouldn't have said that thing to begin with.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Heath posted:

It is when you use false civility as a thin veil over harassment, but that's not at all what Solice Kirsk was doing and Elephant Ambush is just having a meltdown

Comes from this

Spanish Manlove posted:

Pretty much, yeah. Welcome to modern discourse

That's what happens when the appearance of civility is used in bad faith.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Heath posted:

"Bad faith" does seem to be the word of the day around here nowadays, as calling something "bad faith" appears to absolve anyone of having to respond to a point because it's simply assumed to be self-evident that the argument has no merit because the person saying it is a bad actor, or else they wouldn't have said that thing to begin with.

are you referring to a particular point that has been evaded this way that you would like answered or are you just whining because no one is obligated to engage in interaction with you

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

razorrozar posted:

it's advice trans people and, i would imagine, any other marginalized community hears and it accomplishes nothing because it places responsibility for avoiding bigotry on us, to ignore it, rather than on others, to not be bigots, and that is hosed and you are wrong and your advice is actively harmful. hth

if thats what you read into it, im sorry for being bad at communicating vague life advice.

more or less im advocating this position:

Emma Goldman posted:

I did not believe that a Cause which stood for a beautiful ideal, for anarchism, for release and freedom from convention and prejudice, should demand the denial of life and joy. I insisted that our Cause could not expect me to become a nun and that the movement would not be turned into a cloister. If it meant that, I did not want it. "I want freedom, the right to self-expression, everybody's right to beautiful, radiant things." Anarchism meant that to me, and I would live it in spite of the whole world — prisons, persecution, everything. Yes, even in spite of the condemnation of my own closest comrades I would live my beautiful ideal.

less about "ignoring problems" and more about personal spiritual takes on the meaning of existence and life. like all anarchistic thoughts its the sort of smug tripe that leads to anarchists being the second group of people to be shot in revolutions regardless of who wins them so yet again if you dont like it thats okay.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Heath posted:

"Bad faith" does seem to be the word of the day around here nowadays

It's accurate.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

razorrozar posted:

are you referring to a particular point that has been evaded this way that you would like answered or are you just whining because no one is obligated to engage in interaction with you

What makes you think I posted that in bad faith?

Like, sincerely. Do you honestly think I'm trying to make a hostile point here, from what I've said?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Xarbala posted:

It is when you use false civility as a thin veil over harassment, but that's not at all what Solice Kirsk was doing and Elephant Ambush is just having a meltdown

Comes from this

Yo, Heath knows what the gently caress it is, they're doing it right now. If someone complains about a "lack of civility" or some such bullshit, chances are they're right ignorant -- which means they back down after a post or two -- or they're assholes playing "I'm not touching you!" with discourse.

Report, ignore, and move on. There's no talking with people like that.

Heath posted:

Like, sincerely. Do you honestly think I'm trying to make a hostile point here, from what I've said?

Xarbala posted:

Comes from this

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
quote is not edit gently caress

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Screaming Idiot posted:

Yo, Heath knows what the gently caress it is, they're doing it right now. If someone complains about a "lack of civility" or some such bullshit, chances are they're right ignorant -- which means they back down after a post or two -- or they're assholes playing "I'm not touching you!" with discourse.

Report, ignore, and move on. There's no talking with people like that.

Yeah one post is genuine. Keeping on like this is a red flag and by that point I'd already posted.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Heath posted:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Lol at equating being trans with posting about star citizen

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I really wish this would stop.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

content! Here's an extremely wholesome story out of SA-Mart of all places:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3907072

Madness posted:

Man my kid would love this, wish our Christmas budget was not already spent.

LODGE NORTH posted:

I'll buy it so you can give this to your kid, if that's cool with you.

:unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Snow Cone Capone posted:

content! Here's an extremely wholesome story out of SA-Mart of all places:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3907072

:unsmith:

wholesome energy