Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

General Morden posted:

can someone provide me with a list of total war youtube content creators that aren't weird alt right wackos

something about this series attracts that kind of crowd and i'm trying to find actual helpful guide videos

PartyElite, Turin, JanetOnOccasion, and MilkandCookiesTW are pretty good and not wackos afaik

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Nephthys posted:

This may sound stupid but Skaven garrisons are part of why I lost my motivation to play this game. I feel like I've sieged them more than any other faction and its so painful every time. The Warp Lightning spam is just bullshit and just decimates things on walls. And theres nothing you can really do about it because its actually pretty hard to snipe the caster and at some point your units will bunch up and get obliterated.

There's a mod that gets rid of walled sieges if you find them annoying btw.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

General Morden posted:

can someone provide me with a list of total war youtube content creators that aren't weird alt right wackos

something about this series attracts that kind of crowd and i'm trying to find actual helpful guide videos

Cody Bonds for hilarious videos, Zerkovitch for tactics.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

General Morden posted:

ElichTV's good

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

General Morden posted:

Zerkovich, Turin

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Is it just me or do High elves get kinda shafted on artillery? Eagle throwers don't seem to be very good

What's a magical powerhouse for high elves? I've tried the Sword-masters of hoeth with their T1 AOE spell and it doesn't seem to do much of any damage, and the life AOE damage spells don't seem to be that crash hot either. I kinda want a mage that I can just huck a spell from and just watch an enemy's frontline crumple, much like their spells do to mine.

Also: Phoenix guard or White Lions of Crache as frontline? Phoenix guards seem to struggle to hold the line.

E: Is there a rule that archers won't shoot on enemy heroes if they're engaged with your front line? I've got skirmish mode turned off and my archers are a decide way back but they won't fire on an enemy hero.

tithin fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Dec 28, 2019

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
heavens is a good lore.
phoenix guard are strong elites.
your ranged is the best in the game, pound for pound i would say

also watch this helpful tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L99aZwGhFs

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
Dragons are your artillery and mobile artillery at that, their breath attacks will kill a poo poo ton if you time/aim it right, they destroy everything on walls, and are just generally tough as poo poo. The frost phoenix is tanky as poo poo, and it recently got buffed. Frontline for Helves is phoenix guard or lothern sea guard, hell you can put swordmasters or even white lions if you wanted on the line, they just need to block cav from killing your archers, which are your dps for Helves, and will generally count for the most kills on any battlefield by a lot. In Tyrion's army it doesn't matter what's in his stack, going full melee on him, he can solo entire armies easily enough, though for later higher tier armies he'll also need the sword of khaine.

There's a really easy way to game sieges so you take no losses basically every time, especially against skaven. There are gaps at the edge of the battlefield wide enough so that you only get attacked by one tower, stick your lords further ahead of your army (the tower will attack your lords/heroes) which your army cramps in that little area, while your own artillery knocks down that one tower. What to do after that is up to you, aim your now safe artillery to knock out further towers along the battlement to increase the amount of room you have to work with. Send flyers ahead to kill the warlock master/engineer, if you don't have any strong enough to survive a melee on the walls, you just have to accept the fact that you'll lose 100 more men then you should have had warp lightning not been present.

https://www.twitch.tv/fenronjenkins
https://www.twitch.tv/arkcard
https://www.twitch.tv/elichtv
https://www.youtube.com/elichtv
Is how I learned to play the game, and eventually be able to play on Legendary/Very Hard like they all do. They usually answer a lot of basic questions thrown their way, and you'll eventually pick up patterns and tips that usually can be applied regardless of the difficulty you play. Turin, Janet, etc, mainly play MP which is fine, they also play campaign, but not at a high level as the people listed above.

ad090 fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Dec 28, 2019

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

tithin posted:

Is it just me or do High elves get kinda shafted on artillery? Eagle throwers don't seem to be very good

uh no 4 eagle claws can take most of their army to half hp and archers finish them off

they're excellent

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

How do you fix the desync problem? A friend and I get it 100% of the time while watching an ally try to cross the ocean with their army.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Are the random floating navies around for a reason and/or do they do anything other than float around?

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
They're pirates. You can kill them for their piece of eight if you're also a pirate. They'll attack you, but won't come on to land.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Reaching the end of a pirate campaign and I am growing weary of them. At rank 3 infamy, just slowly grinding out more playing out the same battles over and over. Set up a gross amount of artillery, blow them to pieces, smash whatever gets close with monsters and magic. Repeat over and over. Upkeep costs make it prohibitive to run more than two stacks so it's rare to get chances to diversify. I finally got a third stack just because I have 120k in the bank and nothing else to spend it on. I never got thought I would get bored of seeing infantry ranks knocked apart. I don't even really have much of a sense of accomplishment, pirate coves are cool but not very exciting. There's not really much sense of danger either since it doesn't seem like anyone besides other pirates will come out to my cool sea fortress, and I've killed most of them.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Somberbrero posted:

Reaching the end of a pirate campaign and I am growing weary of them. At rank 3 infamy, just slowly grinding out more playing out the same battles over and over. Set up a gross amount of artillery, blow them to pieces, smash whatever gets close with monsters and magic. Repeat over and over. Upkeep costs make it prohibitive to run more than two stacks so it's rare to get chances to diversify. I finally got a third stack just because I have 120k in the bank and nothing else to spend it on. I never got thought I would get bored of seeing infantry ranks knocked apart. I don't even really have much of a sense of accomplishment, pirate coves are cool but not very exciting. There's not really much sense of danger either since it doesn't seem like anyone besides other pirates will come out to my cool sea fortress, and I've killed most of them.

Pretty sure every faction has this when they're winning and winding down a campaign. Which is why I generally never see it through.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Bolt throwers lack in power but make up for in accuracy. They are excellent at countering enemy artillery. Also their accurate damage can wear down high hp targets. Just don't count on them for taking out infantry blocks.

For HE magic you generally want to stick to high, life, or heavens. High is your grab bag with the final wind spell being heavily buffed so it's actually worth casting. Life is life, and they keep improving the utility spells in it. And Heavens is the Wind Blast lore. Luckily Wind Blast is crazy good. Not as flashy as Dark or anything but it will get the job done.

As others have said your archers are the real heroes. Shadow Warriors are awesome vanguard skirmishes, sisters of avelorn are the premier archer, and even your standard archers will punish pretty much anything but chosen thanks to their insane range.

For a front line I typically just go with sea guard since I'm usually running table top unit caps. Of the elite front line I would use phoenix guard over swordmasters but dont expect them to be insanely killy.

Also don't forget a dragon and some dragon princes. Star dragons are amazing single entities and dragon princes are one of the best cavalry units in game.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
the beaglerush TWWH2 series aren't going to teach you how to play the game by any means (I'll second Arkcard for that--he's very responsive to any questions chat has about why he's doing what he's doing), but they are goddamn entertaining.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Somberbrero posted:

Are you setting up pirate's coves on all port cities that you can? Sounds like you are playing Noctilus, and he is pretty much easy mode and you're right that nobody seems to ever attack. VCoast shouldn't have much of a money issue if you've been setting up coves in ports especially big $ ones Marienburg, Lothern, etc.

Damn Dirty Ape fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Dec 28, 2019

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

tithin posted:

This might be a really silly question, but you are switching modes on the bolt throwers depending on what you are shooting at right?

Also if High Elves had artillery that shot giant eagles, I might actually use giant eagles.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Multi shot will delete infantry, you just need several units of bolt throwers to do it. 4-5.

I don’t know why but they feel like they get exponential damage when massed. Maybe the saturation of bolts is needed to start making models die instead of chipping health off?

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Theswarms posted:

This might be a really silly question, but you are switching modes on the bolt throwers depending on what you are shooting at right?

Also if High Elves had artillery that shot giant eagles, I might actually use giant eagles.

artillary that actually shot out some kind've monster that than fights on would be sick as gently caress.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Multi shot will delete infantry, you just need several units of bolt throwers to do it. 4-5.

I don’t know why but they feel like they get exponential damage when massed. Maybe the saturation of bolts is needed to start making models die instead of chipping health off?

I think you’re wasting bolts if you have all of them hit one unit. They don’t do much once battle lines are engaged unless you can get them in a good flanking position or the enemy has a good chunk of ranged, but artillery taking 30% off 4-5 units before the clash does wonders for making sure their lines don’t have strong cohesion.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

When you have 4 or more though you can take a unit to half health or less in one volley. Before lines meet you can do this 3-5 times, severely weakening their best units before switching to ranged counterfire. I stan elven bolt throwers.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

You will not need Bolt Throwers to fire into melee if a melee never starts, though. Between Elven Archers and their Bolt Throwers you can shred most of everything before it gets into melee range. At least, I have managed to do this on Normal and Hard games reliably. If you need to stop a unit from getting into melee charge a single model hero into the unit, then arrow/bolt it anyway.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah the game got a lot easier for me when I just started using 2/3 heroes to absorb units of infantry while whatever range unit i had shot into their sides.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Started a Lokir campaign on hard/hard (Lucky's Overhaul) and I've had like, 5 phyrric victories in a row and it's the most fun I've had in a while. Black ark is able to support me just enough to turn the tide of each battle. Kraken face is a great duelist as well so I always have an answer for enemy foot lords. Doesn't look like he gets a mount as far as I can tell, so hopefully the buffs to foot lords can keep him competitive. If he can't fight a lord on a dinosaur himself I get it, but I hope he can.

I have never gotten far into a DE run, and Lokhir and his manticore are for sure carrying the load, but basic DE units are very strong it seems and I can't wait to put a million spears into dinosaurs instead of rats. Though I'm noticing clan pestilens doesn't actually have any aversion to me? Should I be making friends instead? They own the capital of my starting province though so this seems counter intuitive.

I'm thinking of turning the battle difficulty down though, it's just buffing the AI units instead of actually making what they do more difficult to manage. I'm worried about how this works later when elite units are the norm, sounds like a nightmare.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

lokhir gets a black dragon mount

battle difficulty is a boondoggle. it raises enemy melee effectiveness and hugely buffs their morale. they dont do anything smarter. all battle difficulty does is make your ranged units more important. imo vh/normal (or vh/h so the ai isnt constantly routing) is the best setting.

Ammanas fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Dec 28, 2019

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

The Duggler posted:

Started a Lokir campaign on hard/hard (Lucky's Overhaul) and I've had like, 5 phyrric victories in a row and it's the most fun I've had in a while. Black ark is able to support me just enough to turn the tide of each battle. Kraken face is a great duelist as well so I always have an answer for enemy foot lords. Doesn't look like he gets a mount as far as I can tell, so hopefully the buffs to foot lords can keep him competitive. If he can't fight a lord on a dinosaur himself I get it, but I hope he can.
He gets a Black Dragon mount in vanilla, no idea about Lucky's.

The Duggler posted:

I have never gotten far into a DE run, and Lokhir and his manticore are for sure carrying the load, but basic DE units are very strong it seems and I can't wait to put a million spears into dinosaurs instead of rats. Though I'm noticing clan pestilens doesn't actually have any aversion to me? Should I be making friends instead? They own the capital of my starting province though so this seems counter intuitive.
I dunno if Lucky's changes the map but I recommend playing Lokhir on Vortex, and this is coming from someone who doesnt do Vortex because even the event popups about it get old to me. I recommend this because in ME there are no major ports nearby other than Star Tower, so its a long wait till you can get a second Black Ark out, while in Vortex there are major ports everywhere.

The Duggler posted:

I'm thinking of turning the battle difficulty down though, it's just buffing the AI units instead of actually making what they do more difficult to manage. I'm worried about how this works later when elite units are the norm, sounds like a nightmare.
I'm not sure how much Lucky's changes it but I never go above Hard on battle difficulty because past that the AI is just cheating too hard for my taste. I wouldnt blame you if you turned that down but kept the campaign difficulty up.

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

The Duggler posted:

In my Vortex Lokhir campaign, Lustria was split between myself, Clan Pestilens, and Lybaras, and we were all military allies at war with a confederated Naggarond. Good times.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
the bad guys in lustria all like each other since they fight lizardmen, dwarves and elves together
skaven are good friends. ..even if skrolk might permanently infect part of the world with his own mixture of ebolaids (which by the way, is the most fun and flavorful poo poo ever)

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Now that my computer can play mortal empires, I really wish they'd just give us the WH1 map with new races where appropriate. How mortal empires truncates the locations of game 2 races makes them awful to play largely. I suppose they could try and actually fit the whole of the Vortex map now that it might not destroy turn times though.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Eimi posted:

Now that my computer can play mortal empires, I really wish they'd just give us the WH1 map with new races where appropriate. How mortal empires truncates the locations of game 2 races makes them awful to play largely. I suppose they could try and actually fit the whole of the Vortex map now that it might not destroy turn times though.
I feel this way too now that I have been trying more and more factions now that games go faster. The abbreviated Not-Americas, Not Africa, and even Ulthuan just seem sad in comparison to how they are on Vortex and it makes things wonky.

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019
Shadow and Blade is the first DLC in the Warham series that's a complete miss for me. I can finally unlock the 500th Skaven Lord and Badguy Evilsword, the 5th dark elf who's a bad guy with an evil sword.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

OP ninja rats are kinda fun though.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

As Repanse on Vortex its turn 75 and I have all of northern Not-Africa conquered from the Tomb Kings. I'm super rich and have 4 full stacks marching around; Repanse's stack is all elite peasant archers, 2 Grail Knights, 2 Grail Guardians, a Royal Pegasus Knight unit, a Royal Hippogryph Knight unit, a turbocharged Life damsel, two Blessed Trebuchets, and the desire to conquer. I just took a fully-built-up-and-full-stack-led-by-Aranessa-garrison'd-Sartosa with Repanse and now I'm not sure what to go do. I dont think there is much besides Norscans north of Sartosa, and they are pretty far north. Should I go burn down Galleon's Graveyard? Invade Brazil The Awakened? The rest of the Southlands is a hugfest and I dont think I need to conquer much more - I just need more Chivalry.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Dec 29, 2019

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

buddhist nudist posted:

Shadow and Blade is the first DLC in the Warham series that's a complete miss for me. I can finally unlock the 500th Skaven Lord and Badguy Evilsword, the 5th dark elf who's a bad guy with an evil sword.

yeah the patch improvements and repanse are the big highlights. more skaven nonsense and a suckass de lord, who cares. im happy to buy it to pay for continued CA support of the game though

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
As an affluent straight white male I know quite a bit second hand what it's like to be incredibly poor and oppressed.

lurksion posted:

Are the random floating navies around for a reason and/or do they do anything other than float around?

Probably at least partially to increase the rate at which different factions bump into each other in mortal empires.

Like: as a Lizardman you have to cross the entire map to fight Norsca or vampire counts. But there are rogue armies that visit Lustria so that the player can fight them in the campaign and enjoy fighting a relatively novel enemy without it being turn 150.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Trying out Arkhan the Black in ME (for fun in Nagashizzar - VH/VH) and these early Bret stacks are causing me heartburn, the Knights of the Flame just stack yeomen and use a second stack of peasants to ruin my day. Should I save gold for the necrotect ritual (to send to nagashizzar) or get right in and build more burial mounds (or some other building? chariots?). The skeletons just perform terribly, even against peasants, unless I can funnel them into a choke point - there's one near Lashiek. Ghouls do okay but seem squishy. I run with mostly skeleton spears, a necrotect, 4 ghouls, 2 dogs, and I've tried a few combinations of other units without a lot of initial success. Any thoughts?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Tomb kings is an exercise in your army being complete and utter trash until you start unlocking constructs/tomb guard. You should basically expect to lose half or more of your poo poo skeletons and call that a win. They are utterly free so it's just the turn recruiting. Though I'm sure someone made a mod that makes TK skeles at least comparable to VC.

Ammanas posted:

yeah the patch improvements and repanse are the big highlights. more skaven nonsense and a suckass de lord, who cares. im happy to buy it to pay for continued CA support of the game though

Repanse is fun but just Brets do not click with me no matter I do. Like with tabletop unit caps on they are basically impossible for me, something I haven't found an issue with every other race. And even without it, well then it just turns into a doomstack that is incredibly terrifying but I don't feel like I'm winning fairly.

Earl Chestnuts
Feb 19, 2013
Playing as Empire, can you only get one fealty point for having high relations? Is it ever worth making two of the AI provinces like/hate each other?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
One of these days I'm gonna do a High Elf campaign where I actually use cavalry before Dragon Princes.