Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Time for James' bike adventures :barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
James is a perfect allegory for Lynch being gone...but still there

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Is that one of the slickbacks from TNG

e: Duchovny! :woop:

El Jeffe fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Dec 22, 2019

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

White Lodge/Black Lodge explanation time!

"If you confront the Black Lodge with imperfect courage, it will utterly annihilate your soul."

El Jeffe posted:

e: Duchovny! :woop:
FIX YOUR HEARTS OR DIE

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

"My father, my master, my lover" :barf:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

"Catch anything?"
"I hope not."

:allears:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
I'm sure I've said it before in this thread or another, but the funeral reception at the Palmer house reads so much darker following The Return. It's the last day the community was ever there for Sarah Palmer. And then twenty five years of festering grief and rage with only the occasional visit from Hawk.

Cooper's remarks from around 3:20 onward (Netflix's timestamp) are so much sweet poison to her ears. "Leland died at peace".

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The parts where they talk about how Cooper is fearless in this world but should be wary of the Lodge, and then the bit about imperfect courage, and the campfire scene with the Major also discussing Cooper's concern about Bob being out there looking for a new victim to inhabit... :gonk:

It does kind of makes me laugh that the plot to plant incriminating drugs on Cooper is openly dismissed by everybody as clearly a frame-up, but if you take the events of The Return into consideration then not long after Agent Cooper disappears, and then "he" is next seen running a major crime ring.

In regards to Episode 18, I still find the Catherine/Josie subplot utterly baffling. I can't figure out which of the characters I'm meant to empathize with because they're both seemingly such horrible people. That said I did love how Catherine's clearly bullshit story to Truman actually pulls off successfully purely because of the immediacy and simplicity with which she answers his question about why she came back - she ran out of tunafish!

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Oh no, it's the Dougie sideplot. :geno:

Rageaholic posted:

Time for James' bike adventures :barf:

By the way, James' manly Japanese voice became slightly less interesting when I realised that literally all male characters in Japanese Twin Peaks have a deep sexy voice.

Cooper is like 80% less attractive in that goddamn fishing jacket. His lumberjack get-up isn't very flattering, either. When Harry offers him the lure, and he admiringly says "a green butt skunk" the episode pretty much turns into self parody. It's like they're trying to channel that SNL skit with Cooper in his undies.

Jerusalem posted:

In regards to Episode 18, I still find the Catherine/Josie subplot utterly baffling. I can't figure out which of the characters I'm meant to empathize with because they're both seemingly such horrible people. That said I did love how Catherine's clearly bullshit story to Truman actually pulls off successfully purely because of the immediacy and simplicity with which she answers his question about why she came back - she ran out of tunafish!

I don't know whether I'd call it clearly bullshit. It's pretty much par for the course in Twin Peaks that characters encounter spirits and start wandering about after traumatic events. Josie always seemed to me like the more sympathetic character. Catherine is extremely competent at playing the game, while Josie just doesn't seem to be cut out for this. She seems more like a victim of the hosed up people she has to deal with. Kind of like Ernie Niles.

Rageaholic posted:

"My father, my master, my lover" :barf:

It's super confusing that Mark Frost's book reveals this all to be a lie. In that book, Josie is actually the leader of a prostitution ring turned triad bigwig who works as a partner of Thomas Eckart. Maybe she's just supposed to be that good of a liar, but I find her cover story in this episode more believable than the truth.

The whole sideplot setup with Jean Renault is pretty tense. I think it's good.

The major disappearing from the campsite is also pretty spooky. Two dutch tilts in quick succession, a hooded figure and the Evil Dead POV. It doesn't get more twisted than that.

For episode 17 could I get screenshots of
- Cooper in the fishing jacket
- Catherine with her walking Cane, please?

And More fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Dec 22, 2019

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Jesus the soap opera overacting, especially in the Horne/Hank scene

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just watched the 4 hour twin peaks video, and, well, goodbye

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

And More posted:

For episode 17 could I get screenshots of
- Cooper in the fishing jacket
- Catherine with her walking Cane, please?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"I'll recycle this." Lol how 1991

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ooh yeah, you know what else —

GOLDEN SHOVEL :woop:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I got the the Twin Peans from Z to A box set for Christmas and I’m watching the FWWM missing pieces for the first time and goddamn. These scenes are loving good, gently caress I wish there was a cut of the movie with these

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
If that sweater scene wasn’t cut, where Sarah realizes “it’s happening again”, that’d change so much about twin peaks

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I got the the Twin Peans from Z to A box set for Christmas and I’m watching the FWWM missing pieces for the first time and goddamn. These scenes are loving good, gently caress I wish there was a cut of the movie with these
Google the FWWM Q2 fan edit :)

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

gently caress I just finished that 4 hour Explanation video and it just fits. drat.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I think there's a lot of good stuff in that video, particularly about FWWM, but I also think it went a bit off the rails about season 3. It presents Lynch as this bitter grudge-holding scorned director who never forgave the audience for wanting closure and ruining the show, but my interpretation is that Lynch's problem was really with the network for not giving him room to dream, not the fans.

It's really something interesting to think about and broadly grasps Lynch's way of communicating with the audience but in no way do I think the show is "solved" now. There's a lot of overwrought interpretation that falls into the same old trap of assuming that the whole thing is one big puzzle to solve or hidden message to decode, when not everything has to have a singular allegorical meaning.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Volte posted:

It’s really something interesting to think about and broadly grasps Lynch's way of communicating with the audience but in no way do I think the show is "solved" now. There's a lot of overwrought interpretation that falls into the same old trap of assuming that the whole thing is one big puzzle to solve or hidden message to decode, when not everything has to have a singular allegorical meaning.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. I have a big problem with assigning meaning to minute details in art. Sometimes a Floating Briggs Head is just a Floating Briggs Head. Now, I’m definitely not Lynch, but it seems like he operates on instinct and dream logic, with sometimes entire plot threads not having any specific meaning other than to leave a vague impression of a feeling on you while watching.

I don’t think there’s this grand plot to unfold - and I don’t think Lynch and Frost really know more than we do. Season 3 was this brilliant, semi Dadaist...thing that definitely made us feel something. And I think that alone was the point.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
One thing I think the video did get right (or at least, is on the right track about) is that Twin Peaks is a TV show whose "TV-show-ness" is part of the fabric of its universe. Not necessarily in a fourth-wall-breaking meta kind of way, but in the sense that when the characters question the nature of their universe (or should I say "the absurd mystery of the strange forces of existence") they are really wondering about the medium in which they exist: television.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I don’t gently caress with twin perfect because they were huge assholes back in the day so gently caress them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQR3SRggiF0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EfcatLcrrA

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

Regardless of your personal feelings, that theme is something Lynch plays with frequently. Mulholland Dr and Inland Empire are perfect examples.

The characters themselves literally being in a TV show is totally Lynch and I don't think it takes away from the show at all but enhances it.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Can't stay up but here are the log ladies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eHZWpx1EB4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zu8O5lNkLwM

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh poo poo, I forgot we moved the time up. I'm so used to this being at this time every week haha

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

RIP to Dougie (#1)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Time for Ben Horne's Civil War re-enactment!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hahahahahaha, that shot of Andy imagining Little Nicky as the devil :allears:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Wait, Denise turns into Dennis? Or is that just a temporary costume?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Leo's back :stonk:

As is Windom Earle!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I haven't been following the rewatch, but I hope y'all have been enjoying it.

Volte posted:

One thing I think the video did get right (or at least, is on the right track about) is that Twin Peaks is a TV show whose "TV-show-ness" is part of the fabric of its universe. Not necessarily in a fourth-wall-breaking meta kind of way, but in the sense that when the characters question the nature of their universe (or should I say "the absurd mystery of the strange forces of existence") they are really wondering about the medium in which they exist: television.
I think the biggest "Oh, duh" moment about Twin Peaks' "TV-show-ness" for me is when I read an article that suggested Andy and Lucy's names are probably references to Andy Griffith and I Love Lucy. Just seems so obvious in retrospect.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

HD DAD posted:

I don’t think there’s this grand plot to unfold - and I don’t think Lynch and Frost really know more than we do. Season 3 was this brilliant, semi Dadaist...thing that definitely made us feel something. And I think that alone was the point.

That's exactly what bothers me about these "Ending Explained" videos. They are so concerned with plot minutiae that they don't actually end up explaining what something means, what meaning or message it has. Like, Inception is first and foremost about coping with grief, but that's not something anyone ever considers important enough to explain.

On to the rewatch
This first episode is pretty boring. I particularly dislike the awkward infatuation that all men seem to have with Dougie's widow. The only real standout scene to me is Major Briggs' return. Still, there is quite some whiplash between Bobby talking to his mother about the dream and Bobby attempting to scam Ben Horne out of money and macking on Audrey. He's gone more astray than ever. What is he trying to do?

The show slightly undoes Denise's great introduction by having Cooper make assumptions about her sexuality. C'mon, man. I know it's the 90s, but you're supposed to be better than this. :colbert: In general, I really love how competent and cool she is. Jean Renault's demise is unfortunate since he is a fun bad guy. It's a great end to the episode, though. "Suddenly, the simple dream become[s] the nightmare. […] Maybe the nightmare will die with you." His reasoning kind of makes sense to me on a lynchian level.

Windom Earle's move is also surprisingly gruesome, and I remember actually being kind of excited about the next episode when I first watched the show.

Random observations:
Is it just me or does the whole "Major Briggs is a great pilot" thing make him either sound like a ufo pilot or a psychonaut? :v:

Ben reminds us of the halcyon days when a grown man getting into tabletop roleplaying was considered a symptom of a mental breakdown.

Nadine beating the tar out of Hank is the best. :allears: This scene is pretty much shot the same way as the Freddie/BOB fight. It always seemed to me that it should have been her.

Could I get screenshots from Ep. 20 of
- The magic burning radiation symbol
- Major Briggs on a throne with fire overlayed on top
- A red traffic light (transition before Mike and Nadine talk at the diner)
- Josie's maid getup (talking to Truman)
- Catherine's coat when she meets Ben
- The chess board

(Oh yeah, and thanks for the last batch. They were excellent as always. :))

And More fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Dec 29, 2019

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Nadine lifting Mike up over her head :eyepop: Good stunt double work? They sure look like the real actors.

Also :wtf: that nonsensical speech by the coach. “Look at that Indian go!”

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

And More posted:

Could I get screenshots from Ep. 20 of
- The magic burning radiation symbol
- Major Briggs on a throne with fire overlayed on top
- A red traffic light (transition before Mike and Nadine talk at the diner)
- Josie's maid getup (talking to Truman)
- Catherine's coat when she meets Ben
- The chess board

(Oh yeah, and thanks for the last batch. They were excellent as always. :))
Anytime :) Here's the new batch:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I had completely, completely forgotten that the Hank and Nadine stories intersected even though it should have been obvious, and I loving laughed so much when evil murderer Hank makes his move on Big Ed and promptly gets his rear end handed to him by a little woman in a cheerleader outfit :hellyeah:

The writing on Bobby right now is really schizophrenic. He jumps between maturing and caring in one scene to a complete dipshit the next, and I'm really not a fan of him dumping Shelly when the one consistent bit of characterization he's always seemed to have is that as hosed up as he is/was, his devotion to her was actually genuine.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

Jerusalem posted:

He jumps between maturing and caring in one scene to a complete dipshit the next

Well, this is extremely accurate to the teen boy experience

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
I joined the rewatch out of a desire to finally watch Season 3, but man I forgot how rough season 2 can be at times. I completely forgot about this whole 'trick James into murdering my husband' plot.

I agree that Bobby seemed uncharacteristic in the last episode, but I suppose that was an attempt to build up more suspense for the return of Leo.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Data Graham posted:

Nadine lifting Mike up over her head :eyepop: Good stunt double work? They sure look like the real actors.

If VFX artists react has taught me anything, they probably lifted Mike up by a wire, and painted it out afterwards.

Rageaholic posted:

Anytime :) Here's the new batch:

I appreciate it. My desktop has never looked this Twin Peaksy. Regarding the second screenshot, I thought the combination of fire and leaves would look cool, but I guess it's just a mess when it's not in motion. May I bother you for a screencap of just Major Briggs on the throne?

It's actually kind of surprising to me that the show still maintains an iconic style when introducing new imagery. Obviously, it's somewhat different from Lynch's aesthetic, but I think the old school pilot gear and the jungle setting are interesting in their own right.

zelah posted:

Well, this is extremely accurate to the teen boy experience

It could be cool if it came off as deliberate rather than unintentional. I think these inconsistencies are a sign that there is no showrunner keeping track of the overall plot. It's just scenes from different side plots strung together in a way that doesn't add up when looking at them side by side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I can’t help but do this rewatch with an eye toward the nature of aging and what makes a person the same person he was 25 years ago, and what makes him different

What makes a person recognizable, in face and in spirit

I’m absorbing as much as I can of each of these characters as they were in 1991, so I can weather the leap to 2017 when it comes up on me