Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

The Bloop posted:

Just use the Insert Imgur feature

It does both things and it's already right there

Yeah, my post here was a result of a conversation in the Android thread, and shortly afterward I was reminded of the Insert Imgur feature.

Still, if that site goes the way of the waffle, God forbid, or gets banned from here like Image$hack, then the request will be less moot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I hate imgur, I use the attachment feature all the time.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Yeah, my post here was a result of a conversation in the Android thread, and shortly afterward I was reminded of the Insert Imgur feature.

Still, if that site goes the way of the waffle, God forbid, or gets banned from here like Image$hack, then the request will be less moot.

I did just fix up the script to make waffleimages work again from the existing mirror, at least in firefox. See the waffleimages SAclopedia article. It makes browsing the archives a lot nicer. It'd be cool to have that in the app but also it might be nice to ask the mirror owner if that's okay first. (Who is that you might ask? No idea.)

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

baka kaba posted:

coming soon: chat with goons in your area

our themes are a bit involved so it's probably not doable, or it would be a bunch of work to try and make it happen anyway

the way it normally works is you have a special day/night theme with stylings for either mode, so the app can automatically transition from using one set to the other, and you don't need to do anything. But we have a bunch of selectable themes that would all need redoing, the thread view is themed separately so it wouldn't transition automatically and would need its own logic watching the system for mode changes, it would look real janky, that kind of thing

The first problem can be solved by just letting someone select their "day" theme and their "night" theme.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

yeah that just means now you have two versions of the second problem!

I mean yeah, if we were doing the day/night thing that's how we'd end up doing it, it would just mean reworking a bunch of stuff - especially the thread view, which would end up randomly reloading/clearing when the theme switched. It's not so much the "how do thing" as "how do thing while unravelling what's already there"

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

baka kaba posted:

yeah that just means now you have two versions of the second problem!

I mean yeah, if we were doing the day/night thing that's how we'd end up doing it, it would just mean reworking a bunch of stuff - especially the thread view, which would end up randomly reloading/clearing when the theme switched. It's not so much the "how do thing" as "how do thing while unravelling what's already there"

Ah the somethingawful.com web conundrum

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Don't know if this is a problem or a new feature, but here's the deal.

Here is the default look of the forums now.

I can't make the thread lists full screen, and the menu on the left doesn't go away until I go into a thread. Is this a bug, my G7 Plus loving up, or a setting I'm not seeing?

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
That looks like Tablet mode.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Queen Combat posted:

That looks like Tablet mode.

And I suddenly feel like an idiot.

Thanks!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Tablet mode is the loving worst. Thankfully, my new tablet tells apps that it's a phone, so I never see that poo poo.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Just wanted you let you all know that the new FYAD isn't pink, was hoping this could be fixed at some point in the future. Thanks, I appreciate the hard work you all do!

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Is there an option to default to the bookmarks instead of the forums main page?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

HardDiskD posted:

Is there an option to default to the bookmarks instead of the forums main page?

IIRC it's an app shortcut (i.e. long-press on the app's icon).

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
There's also a widget that does it.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Thanks!

Tyler_FYAD
Mar 17, 2019

New FYAD isn't pink on the app

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

And once again glacial development speed pays off :shepface:

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Apologies if this has been asked before. I keep avatars hidden so I can browse inconspicuously on my work computer but I like seeing them otherwise. Would there be an easy way to have an "avatars on for app only" type setting?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Unfortunately it does not work like that. Basically the app sees the same thing as you do, so if you have avatars turned off there are none for the app to see.

If you can go that far I think that the salr browser extensions can hide avatars. That or an adblock rule.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Okay cool that's a good enough workaround for me, thanks for the tip.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

The Ninth Layer posted:

Okay cool that's a good enough workaround for me, thanks for the tip.

Yeah if you don't have it get SALR it's great

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Sereri posted:

And once again glacial development speed pays off :shepface:

I heard in the mod forum the main reason they got rid of it was because the android app didn't support the pink background.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug
Any idea on whether I'm missing something or would this be a feature request?

For those of us using it mostly for mobile text reading (with images and tweets and clips set to off/link/manual), is there a way to tell any given thread page or post to load all media?

Like a "gently caress it" button in the drop-down or something, rather than manually getting them all individually.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
If I'm in the middle of a page and have to put the phone down long enough for the screen to turn off, when I unlock it, the app is still there but it quickly resets my view to the very top of the page, losing my place. Anything I can do to avoid that?

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
That's probably Android's aggressive garbage collection causing that. How much RAM does your phone have? I had this happen regularly on my Pixel XL with 4GB RAM. That seems to have gone away since I upgraded to a Pixel 4 XL with 6GB.

Not a realistic solution, I admit, but this is one of my main issues with Android :/

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Even happens when I use the lock screen controls to pause audio in Chrome lately (I use web pages for podcasts because I am a curmudgeon), when I go back to the page it has to reload and I lose my spot. And I've had to dig into system settings for that and foobar2k so they don't straight up stop playing audio after the screen turns off, it's maddening.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
Thanks for the tip. I'm on a Pixel 3A, and un-"optimized for battery life"ing the app seems to be letting it keep its place. Battery ain't dead yet!

Illiterate Clitoris
Oct 24, 2011

It seems like the whole page reloads when I switch from a Wi-Fi network to mobile data and vice versa by moving out of my home/workplace. Or it resets the place on the thread page at least. It's not reproducable by simply killing the connection through the WLAN symbol, I think the app has to sleep while it happens. Is this a known thing? It's probably because of 'Images' -> 'Only load on Wi-Fi' but I'd really like to keep it like this.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

The app's pretty optimised, you shouldn't be getting any real battery impact besides having the screen on, and maybe if you're watching a lot of gifs and videos

And yeah the page position resetting is a known issue, it's actually being forced to reload because it's kicked out of memory or whatever, and we don't have a consistent way of getting and restoring the scroll state. It's probably doable, just nobody's dug into it yet

Illiterate Clitoris posted:

It seems like the whole page reloads when I switch from a Wi-Fi network to mobile data and vice versa by moving out of my home/workplace. Or it resets the place on the thread page at least. It's not reproducable by simply killing the connection through the WLAN symbol, I think the app has to sleep while it happens. Is this a known thing? It's probably because of 'Images' -> 'Only load on Wi-Fi' but I'd really like to keep it like this.

Yeah you're right about the cause - it's reloading the page, and because the contents have changed (the images/links situation) it's updating and you end up back at the top. If we get the position state sorted out it'll probably be better for you, but we can't really mess with the "has the page updated" logic to ignore the wifi images case without making everything way more complex

sweart gliwere posted:

Any idea on whether I'm missing something or would this be a feature request?

For those of us using it mostly for mobile text reading (with images and tweets and clips set to off/link/manual), is there a way to tell any given thread page or post to load all media?

Like a "gently caress it" button in the drop-down or something, rather than manually getting them all individually.

No promises but I can add it to the list!

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Even happens when I use the lock screen controls to pause audio in Chrome lately (I use web pages for podcasts because I am a curmudgeon), when I go back to the page it has to reload and I lose my spot. And I've had to dig into system settings for that and foobar2k so they don't straight up stop playing audio after the screen turns off, it's maddening.

TIL that there's a foobar2k app. loving hell. I'd swear I've searched for it before. How long has that been there?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Hipster_Doofus posted:

TIL that there's a foobar2k app. loving hell. I'd swear I've searched for it before. How long has that been there?

May of 2016.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Not sure if it's intended behaviour or has been brought up before, but the Android app automatically embeds Instagram posts regardless of an :nws: in the post. Current page of the Tasteless Tattoos thread in PYF as an example (contains cartoon nudity in case you wanted to check it out).

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Unfortunately, Awful is stopping when I tap on the "find on page" search box.
pre:
REPORT          OK

E: Whoops, forgot deets. Droid turbo running 6.0.1. App version 3.6.8.

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 19, 2020

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Tapping on the menu option, or in the actual text box? I just tried it and it worked ok in this thread, is it happening on this page for you? also what's that report ok thing you posted

Memento posted:

Not sure if it's intended behaviour or has been brought up before, but the Android app automatically embeds Instagram posts regardless of an :nws: in the post. Current page of the Tasteless Tattoos thread in PYF as an example (contains cartoon nudity in case you wanted to check it out).

nah we don't do any checking like that - if you have embeds on, it embeds the link (well, runs the script that embeds all the links of that type on the page). If you're worried about nws instagrams it's probably best to disable those, since embedding them isn't standard forums behaviour

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

baka kaba posted:

Tapping on the menu option, or in the actual text box? I just tried it and it worked ok in this thread, is it happening on this page for you? also what's that report ok thing you posted

Actual text box, any thread.

The report ok thing, as well as my choice of words, was to mimic the android "unfortunately such and such app has stopped" error dialog. It would have worked better if "pre:" didn't actually show in the post when using the tag.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

ohhhh ok, I got that from the "app stopped" bit so I got confused!

I'm not seeing any crash data though, can you hit Report next time it happens? I think it only sends automatically on Nougat+

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Done. It happens completely without fail, btw.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Ok I see the report now - is your webview updated? That's where the crash is coming from

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Would love to be able to post threads without awkwardly switching to my browser, logging in again, and navigating the desktop version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Syenite posted:

Would love to be able to post threads without awkwardly switching to my browser, logging in again, and navigating the desktop version.

Nah