Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
If they’re reaper bones you need to read the OP of the bones thread in this forum. Painting them is a minefield too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Definitely recommend the Bones thread; there is also a lot of information on Reapers forums for prepping and painting.

If you are having trouble getting glue to work, try washing them with soap and warm water. I had some that were tricky; the release agent is usually the culprit.

I'm not sure typical plastic glues will work at all for the white and light grey Bones. I think the composition is different enough it doesn't bond the same way. I know you can get different glues, plastruct makes a bunch, but I just use superglue.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Does anyone have a good picture of this guy from the back? Particularly with a good view of his sword-arm's shoulder? I got one of these fellas for Christmas, and now that I'm cleaning him up, I don't know what's flash, and what's supposed to be there.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Plastic cement (Tamayia extra thin) will only work on polystyrene plastic, it won’t work on bones plastic.

For bones I’ve had a lot of success with Loctite gel control (the one true super glue).

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Bucnasti posted:

Plastic cement (Tamayia extra thin) will only work on polystyrene plastic, it won’t work on bones plastic.

For bones I’ve had a lot of success with Loctite gel control (the one true super glue).

Oh, that's what I use as well! It's worked great for Bones (after cleaning, I just wash everything as a habit). The only issues I have had are some of the bigger models like the Roc, where I needed to pin the wings into place because they came loose a couple times. Disclaimer: They came loose because I gave my 5 year old free rein to play with the Bones stuff and she loves that giant bird, so it was not typical wear and tear for a miniature.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
can anyone recommend a sort of paint holding travel case or something? ust something that folds up to put away or some such. I don't have a permanent painting desk so the stands that have them in stadium seating don't work for me. I'll just use a plastic container if there is nothing like that out there. OR if anyone has any neat DIY ideas for something easy to put away that I can just pull out and have easy access to everything.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
I use a tacklebox.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

can anyone recommend a sort of paint holding travel case or something? ust something that folds up to put away or some such. I don't have a permanent painting desk so the stands that have them in stadium seating don't work for me. I'll just use a plastic container if there is nothing like that out there. OR if anyone has any neat DIY ideas for something easy to put away that I can just pull out and have easy access to everything.

I use a Warmage portable paint station, which is amazing but its expensive and total overkill in most conventional senses.* Tackleboxes are great for this and what Id recommended as droppers/pots fit easily into the uh, fly-hook cubbies?

It’s the difference between a pick-up truck and a Bentley, basically.

*You also have to put them together yourself.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
If you use Citadel paints, the official GW case is actually pretty good (although also pricey) https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Large-Project-Box-2018

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Doorknob Slobber posted:

I use this:
https://frontierwargaming.com/product/paint-case/

It's really great, has lots of room for everything.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Da Red Gobbo was very generous and brought me a magnifying lamp for christmas specifically this one and its really really good, I’ve painted under it for a while today and it’s fantastic for hitting small details or limiting myself to hitting raises surfaces

E: the magnification isn’t the biggest - only 1.75x - but I kinda feel like any more would my brush movements feel twitchy and exaggerated

jesus WEP fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Dec 27, 2019

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I got this knight pre-assembled, pre-primed, and pre-based at a swap meet on Sunday. I'm getting close to done, I just need to do the rim of the weird base, the feet, and all the weapons.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Chainclaw posted:

I got this knight pre-assembled, pre-primed, and pre-based at a swap meet on Sunday. I'm getting close to done, I just need to do the rim of the weird base, the feet, and all the weapons.

Seems a sick deal!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Wasn’t sure if I should post this here or in the miniature painting thread, but are there instructions for building the newer resin Necron Flayed Ones? I never got around to getting a set, and I finally bought one recently from the GW web store and they arrived in one of those generic white boxes that just has sprues and bases in it and no instructions.

I kinda have an idea of where things are supposed to go, but the set looks like it came with like 3 extra heads and extra claws and I’m not sure what can go where. Also since it’s a resin kit there’s a lot of resin mold flash and it’s hard to differentiate between what are intentional sculpted details and what’s mold slop that I should cut away.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Thanks everyone for the feedback on Reaper minis, I'll check the appropriate thread.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Magic fat pack boxes. It’s how I store all of my paint now.

Meeple
Dec 29, 2009

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Here's my DIY one. Paints on the left, wet palette in a food container on the right, some magnetic wire-loop pencil holders stuck to the bottom of the steel sheet for brushes. Models can stick to either the metal sheet inside it's adjustable) or on the lid with magnets.

I'd probably do a few things differently, but it works pretty well and holds about the right number of paints for a project at a time.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

Wasn’t sure if I should post this here or in the miniature painting thread, but are there instructions for building the newer resin Necron Flayed Ones? I never got around to getting a set, and I finally bought one recently from the GW web store and they arrived in one of those generic white boxes that just has sprues and bases in it and no instructions.

I kinda have an idea of where things are supposed to go, but the set looks like it came with like 3 extra heads and extra claws and I’m not sure what can go where. Also since it’s a resin kit there’s a lot of resin mold flash and it’s hard to differentiate between what are intentional sculpted details and what’s mold slop that I should cut away.

This general question came up in another thread recently and IIRC, you can usually contact GW support and ask for instructions and they'll send you a PDF. The other conversation was in the context of buying something used where you didn't get the instructions or box, but especially if you bought direct you should be able to just ask for it. This is assuming there are assembly instructions I guess, some stuff they just expect you to figure it out.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

They aren't exactly 'new'. They are a resin/plastic hybrid done in the same molds as when they were pewter.

So they're the old metal models essentially, which used to just come in a blister pack with no instructions.

You'll just have to look at photos and the parts and figure it out. It's a tedious process, you will almost certainly miss some of the mold gates and then find them after you put paint on it. :negative:

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
This is the paint case I have for travel and such, with the light attachment, and I love it. Use it to paint on long train rides and travel and such.

https://frontierwargaming.com/product/paint-case/

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Used my vacation time to finish up some genestealers and cultists I had. The full gallery is here, but here are highlights.

https://i.imgur.com/k57BuLr.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/1iTvxVr.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/BBWAEDi.jpg

My Fiancee got me the start collecting Thousand Sons and a box of exalted sorcerers, so those guys are next, but I need a break.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I have never tried to paint a human face on a mini before. I am really really bad at eyes! Kinda happy with how the skin tone looks though? Especially on the middle dude, his scalp looks kinda nicely highlighted compared to the rest of his face. Glazed a super thin coat of pallid wych flesh up from his temples and forehead onto the top to try and get kind of a gradient going up there and it... sort of worked?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Ashcans posted:

This general question came up in another thread recently and IIRC, you can usually contact GW support and ask for instructions and they'll send you a PDF. The other conversation was in the context of buying something used where you didn't get the instructions or box, but especially if you bought direct you should be able to just ask for it. This is assuming there are assembly instructions I guess, some stuff they just expect you to figure it out.

FWIW, I did this very recently for a NoS Cauldron of Blood I bought off eBay with no instructions, and they sent me a PDF of the instructions with no questions asked within 48 hours.

Anybody in this position should absolutely just e-mail GW support.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Anyone have any brands or links of metallic paints that are sold in decent quantities for pushing through an airbrush? I need to basecoat a fairly large amount of terrain in a steel type color and am not sure of where to start here since I know metallics and airbrushes can be problematic.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Vallejo Metal Color comes in 32 ml bottles and shoots pretty easily through an airbrush.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

General Olloth posted:

They aren't exactly 'new'. They are a resin/plastic hybrid done in the same molds as when they were pewter.

So they're the old metal models essentially, which used to just come in a blister pack with no instructions.

You'll just have to look at photos and the parts and figure it out. It's a tedious process, you will almost certainly miss some of the mold gates and then find them after you put paint on it. :negative:

The Necron Flayed Ones got new models back in 5th Edition when their backstory got rebooted and their miniature range got massively expanded. The old 3rd Ed models were pewter and were draped in skins of the dead, the newer ones have full-on dead body parts and decapitated heads and poo poo. I’m talking about the newer ones, I’ve never built those.

Old:

New:

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

The Necron Flayed Ones got new models back in 5th Edition when their backstory got rebooted and their miniature range got massively expanded. The old 3rd Ed models were pewter and were draped in skins of the dead, the newer ones have full-on dead body parts and decapitated heads and poo poo. I’m talking about the newer ones, I’ve never built those.

Old:

New:

Huh I didn't realize that they actually put out a new updated finecast only sculpt, I thought they were the same sculpt. Most finecast stuff was once pewter but I guess flayed ones are one of the exceptions from the unfortunate period where they got a 'new' sculpt in finecast only.

I'm pretty sure the rest of my post is accurate: I don't think they have real instructions and finecast sucks with the amount of gates to figure out.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

jesus WEP posted:

I have never tried to paint a human face on a mini before. I am really really bad at eyes! Kinda happy with how the skin tone looks though? Especially on the middle dude, his scalp looks kinda nicely highlighted compared to the rest of his face. Glazed a super thin coat of pallid wych flesh up from his temples and forehead onto the top to try and get kind of a gradient going up there and it... sort of worked?

"The better to see you with, my xenos scum!"

You can try painting your fleshtone over the top and bottom of your eyes, then a little bit on the sides. Marine eyes are usually squinty, since they're so mad.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

Old:

New:

Am I alone in thinking the old ones are way better? The hunched posture, and the way they're clenched together and almost hugging themselves is fantastic. You can almost see them twitching.

The new ones just look kind of goofy, not menacing whatsoever.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Geisladisk posted:

Am I alone in thinking the old ones are way better? The hunched posture, and the way they're clenched together and almost hugging themselves is fantastic. You can almost see them twitching.

I do prefer the old ones, but I’m giving the new ones a whirl just to see what I can do with them.

I’ve got like 10 of the old ones and my biggest complaint is that their claws fall off really, really easily, and storing them in foam doesn’t help because they get caught on the foam and just break off.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Geisladisk posted:

I vastly prefer the old ones as well.

Also all these portable paint cases freaking rule!!!

Diabeesting
Apr 29, 2006

turn right to escape
[img] https://imgur.com/gallery/vtwvX2d [/img]

So my girlfriend's family spoiled the everloving poo poo out of me. Time to learn airbrushing!

The creature caster minis are AWESOMELY detailed, but they have a lot of flashing, I expect I'll have to spend a longgg time per model deburring them.

Now I have to leave them for a week and travel before I even get to play with them

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
Crossposting my knight!

That Gobbo posted:

Here's a Cerastus Knight-Castigator I just finished up, super happy with how it turned out. Album here.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
That's just lovely. How did you manage the wear and rust on the leg plates?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
So far I'm having a blast, but I've run up on two figures I'm not entirely sure how to do and would love input.

Black Dragon: What do you use to highlight/shade black? I'm thinking black primer and base coat, with dark blues or purples for highlights?

Silver Dragon: I'd love to use actual metallic colors for the metallic dragons (instead of just a series of greys, yellows, and browns). Can you use different shades of silver effectively, or are they just too similar to be noticeable? Base of silver with a metallic white for highlighting? Base of silver with thin black or blue wash and call it a day?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Geisladisk posted:

Am I alone in thinking the old ones are way better?
You are not alone, I vastly prefer the old ones. At one point I had 10 of them, but I'm not sure I ever fielded them because by the time I had enough Necrons to play an actual game, the Flayed Ones' rules were garbage.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

That's just lovely. How did you manage the wear and rust on the leg plates?

Mainly a lot of sponging and oil weathering to really grunge it up.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Two Beans posted:

"The better to see you with, my xenos scum!"

You can try painting your fleshtone over the top and bottom of your eyes, then a little bit on the sides. Marine eyes are usually squinty, since they're so mad.
Ha, thanks for the tip! I had another one to go, so I tried to make the eyes a whole lot smaller. I think this looks better!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

jesus WEP posted:

Ha, thanks for the tip! I had another one to go, so I tried to make the eyes a whole lot smaller. I think this looks better!

That really does look a lot better, good job!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

jesus WEP posted:

Also, for scars, try using the following tips from a "Painting Faces Masterclass" PDF that GW used to host on their site.

You can replace Red Gore and Liche Purple with appropriate washes and you'd get the same effect. Bloodletter Glaze might be a good choice too.