Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

CJ posted:

Not that i entirely disagree, but there's a difference betwee nstate media suppressing a one off contained event and thousands of years of history and stories about the space wizards. Who were important enough to have a megachurch on the capitol planet.

There is a Stonemasons temple in every major city in the US, do you know literally a single thing about the Stonemasons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

There is a Stonemasons temple in every major city in the US, do you know literally a single thing about the Stonemasons?

They keep the metric system down

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

CJ posted:

Not that i entirely disagree, but there's a difference betwee nstate media suppressing a one off contained event and thousands of years of history and stories about the space wizards. Who were important enough to have a megachurch on the capitol planet.

There are religions in our world that had a few thousand years of history and temples in major world capitals that lots of folks wouldn't know the first loving thing about. I talk about temples of Isis in the Middle East and I bet you money a lot of dumb-fucks first thought is I'm talking about terrorists. Everything matters until it doesn't, and then it's gone.

Herostratus
May 1, 2013
Why go that far back? Ask a typical western high school student what they know about Hinduism, a religion practiced by hundreds of millions, including in most western capitals.
Edit: Well apparently it has 1.15 billion followers. 15% of the planets population. It is the world's third largest religion. I didn't know this.

Herostratus fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Dec 28, 2019

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Martytoof posted:

It struck me a little odd at how quickly Mando went from "gently caress all droids" to "I'm sad this droid is going to explode", even if IG11 did save his life. But than again, he went from stone cold killer to #1 space dad just as quickly so v:)v

Which is literally the only even mildly negative thing you will see me post about that episode.

e: And I just wrote it off as "move the plot/character along" and didn't give it a second thought.

That droid saved his little baby buddy and him, and showed remarkable empathy. Then it/he sacrificed itself to save them again. Mando had a moment where he questioned his own beliefs.

That's character development. He's still not going to be like "wow those super battle droids that murdered my family were people too!" and advocate for droid life or something, but he can appreciate a fellow warrior dying on their own honorable terms.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Bust Rodd posted:

I just watched a super cut of all the lightsaber fights in the first 6 movies and while I’ll concede that best fight is definitely tied between Anakin vs Obi Wen and Maul vs Obi/QGJ, the Emperor vs Maul, Maul vs old Kenobi, and Dooku vs Savage and the evil lady are all way, way cooler than anything in the movies.

The emotion in the final showdown between Maul and Obi wan is palpable, and I’m relieved that Maul went on to have a cool career after Phantom Menace

Clone Wars and Rebels make Maul a fascinating and fun character, and Ventress arc of "evil sith apprentice" to "amoral bounty hunter who has a conscience and will help the good good guys" owned

The bad guys and Ahsoka got all the best character development lol

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Mulva posted:

There are religions in our world that had a few thousand years of history and temples in major world capitals that lots of folks wouldn't know the first loving thing about. I talk about temples of Isis in the Middle East and I bet you money a lot of dumb-fucks first thought is I'm talking about terrorists. Everything matters until it doesn't, and then it's gone.

Were they battle wizards who commanded platoons during the Vietnam war 50 years ago?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

CJ posted:

Were they battle wizards who commanded platoons during the Vietnam war 50 years ago?

If the corporate media today wanted to memory hole every general who lead a batallion in vietnam and the government passed the "never talk about us generals who lead units in vietnam or we'll dissapear your loving family" amendment to the patriot act i bet people would forget about them real quick.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Owlbear Camus posted:

If the corporate media today wanted to memory hole every general who lead a batallion in vietnam and the government passed the "never talk about us generals who lead units in vietnam or we'll dissapear your loving family" amendment to the patriot act i bet people would forget about them real quick.

^this guy gets it

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

This gif never gets old.
And yes, Savage Oppress is peak Lucas-name, and all the fans (and some show-associated people) agree it is terribly stupid, but George was George. At least Disney means we'll never get Darth Insanius or Darth Icky.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

CJ posted:

You’re kind of operating under the assumption that most core worlds are like Alderan, highly advanced technological city-planets with hover cars and communications technology.

The overwhelming majority of the galactic population are backwater bipeds like Wookies or Dathomir witch people or hell, even Gungans, people who believe in Magic and worship weird gods of their own and certainly aren’t on Space twitter reading the news. Your complaint would make sense if Star Wars had ever shown itself to be “plugged in” the way we are with news and social media, but that’s not the case. People are scrappers and shrimp farmers and bounty hunters, pop culture trivia from a war that happened 50 years ago on a planet you’ve never heard of is just not gonna be a big deal, it doesn’t matter what kind of stories they spawn.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Everyone posted:

BTW, the point of Gideon threatening them at the start and being fine spraying the bar with blaster fire is that while he didn't know where the baby was, he could be 95% certain it wasn't in the bar, because he knows these people well enough (through their detailed ISB files, at least) to know that none of them would be dumb enough to bring the baby with them to meet The Client. However, he doesn't want to immediately kill our heroes, because he knows that they at least know where the baby is. He's willing to kill them, because he figures he can find the baby eventually, but it's be much simpler if they turned the kid over to him or tell him where it is. He might now even be lying about letting them go, because gently caress them once he's got the kid at that point. And if they come to his turf to try a rescue, he'll just kill them then. It's arrogance on Gideon's part, which is a common Imperial fault, but his arrogance isn't unjustified.

That's quite a leap to make. I guess he also knew they had plot armor from their ISB files and that none of them would die when he fired on the building the first time? The way he talked about it, he definitely assumed the baby was in there with them.

And then he tried to burn the building and everyone inside it after IG 11 went inside with Yooda. And finally tried to vaporize all of them with his tie fighter.

Does he want the baby alive or as a pile of ash? :shrug:

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I think it's fine to just say people don't believe them to make the story work, but i think it would work better if the old people who were around for it were adamant it was real and the people born since think they are crazy.

Didn't they say Carl Weathers was a former politician? With his age and status he would probably know about the Jedi.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

The overwhelming majority of the galactic population are backwater bipeds like Wookies or Dathomir witch people or hell, even Gungans, people who believe in Magic and worship weird gods of their own and certainly aren’t on Space twitter reading the news.

what the gently caress? we're just letting people be this bigoted on SA now?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Farm Frenzy posted:

what the gently caress? we're just letting people be this bigoted on SA now?

Reporting Bust's incredibly Spacist post.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Just going by the movies there's no indication that the Jedi have been forgotten about, that's really been more of an EU thing. If anything, it's the opposite; Luke is living in the rear end end of nowhere and being raised by someone who wants to ignore all that stuff exists, and even he knows about the Jedi when Obi-Wan brings them up.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Martytoof posted:

It struck me a little odd at how quickly Mando went from "gently caress all droids" to "I'm sad this droid is going to explode", even if IG11 did save his life. But than again, he went from stone cold killer to #1 space dad just as quickly so v:)v

Which is literally the only even mildly negative thing you will see me post about that episode.

e: And I just wrote it off as "move the plot/character along" and didn't give it a second thought.

I imagine IG11 being the only other sentient being to have seen his face since childhood probably had an impact on their relationship.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Anyone remember what scene IG-11 says "You are protected" so I can get a screenshot?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Phenotype posted:

Also from that cartoon infodump I've learned that Darth Maul's long lost brother is named Savage Oppress. A little on the nose, isn't it?

Yeah it is. There was basically no chance that a character named Savage Oppress going out to find his brother who was cut in half and dropped down a deep pit years previously would actually work as a story. They pulled it off and gave us some very good Star Wars. Then Maul comes back and is a major recurring character in Rebels and it's even better because by then he's been marooned alone for years and has completely lost his marbles.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Owlbear Camus posted:

Anyone remember what scene IG-11 says "You are protected" so I can get a screenshot?

While they were meeting with the smith, about 30:30.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Reik posted:

While they were meeting with the smith, about 30:30.

Much obliged!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Is that a reference to something or is it just a cool line?

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

I think all these comparisons fall short.
The Jedi weren't just one thing, they were celebrities/legends, a religion, space magicians, military leaders, ambassadors, philosophers etc. and all of that for thousands of years.
There isn't even an earth equivalent to that. You'd need a combination of Jesus (with real recorded "miracles"), Michael Jackson, some famous US politician etc. and not just one such person but a whole big group with a history of thousands of years. If anything the role of the Jedi is rather lowkey for the cultural impact they should have in such a world, including the force because even if you can somehow construct a scenario where the organisation of the Jedi is "forgotten/suppresed" how do you achieve that with literal space magic? Just stop for a moment and think about the impact on society if we discovered that magic is actually a thing.

Let's be honest, explaining this gap is futile. It could have worked if Jedi were handled like some underground CIA/religious cult mix, silent guardians that avoid showing their abilities in public and keep to themselves/avoid contact to outsiders (and that's probably how most imagined the Jedi to have been in the OT) but Lucas made the Jedi front and center of everything with the Prequels and the same is true for all games and the EU in general.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

The AOL Instant Messenger pranks, the old flash animations... it's true. All of it.

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/the-terrible-secret-of-space

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

where do you think you're posting

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
People forgetting the Jedi after 20 or so years would be ridiculous if there's wasn't a universe dominating fascist organization staffed by evil space wizards going around destroying any trace of the Jedi.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
We still don’t know if Din or any of his friends have stairs in their house.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

LinkesAuge posted:

The Jedi weren't just one thing, they were celebrities/legends, a religion, space magicians, military leaders, ambassadors, philosophers etc. and all of that for thousands of years.
There isn't even an earth equivalent to that. You'd need a combination of Jesus (with real recorded "miracles"), Michael Jackson, some famous US politician etc. and not just one such person but a whole big group with a history of thousands of years. If anything the role of the Jedi is rather lowkey for the cultural impact they should have in such a world, including the force because even if you can somehow construct a scenario where the organisation of the Jedi is "forgotten/suppresed" how do you achieve that with literal space magic? Just stop for a moment and think about the impact on society if we discovered that magic is actually a thing.

Let's be honest, explaining this gap is futile. It could have worked if Jedi were handled like some underground CIA/religious cult mix, silent guardians that avoid showing their abilities in public and keep to themselves/avoid contact to outsiders (and that's probably how most imagined the Jedi to have been in the OT) but Lucas made the Jedi front and center of everything with the Prequels and the same is true for all games and the EU in general.

We are literally murdering the planet by every conceivable metric and the general response of roughly 1/3rd of adults is "Hurr if there's Global Warming why is it snowing out?". People are loving morons, so are space people.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Bust Rodd posted:

Jesus Christ, smh

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So something that's bugged me is the seeming lack of Gus having any sort of mother-ship. How did his troops and his personal fighter get there? What resources does he actually have? He's some fancy moff with a fancy sword, but it seems like his pool of resources, at least for this situation, was just his one tie fighter, a few dozen storm troopers, and a black laser sword. I don't expect him to have a fleet of star destroyers, but some sort of base of operations that can carry him self and his assets around surely must exist? But it seems like he doesn't even have any wingmen, it's just his lone TIE?? Would have been cool to see a couple Lambda shuttles or landing craft parked in the occupied town.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Baronjutter posted:

So something that's bugged me is the seeming lack of Gus having any sort of mother-ship. How did his troops and his personal fighter get there? What resources does he actually have? He's some fancy moff with a fancy sword, but it seems like his pool of resources, at least for this situation, was just his one tie fighter, a few dozen storm troopers, and a black laser sword. I don't expect him to have a fleet of star destroyers, but some sort of base of operations that can carry him self and his assets around surely must exist? But it seems like he doesn't even have any wingmen, it's just his lone TIE?? Would have been cool to see a couple Lambda shuttles or landing craft parked in the occupied town.

It's probably all he could get his hands on after running away from death sentence? *
Along with a few bored out storm troopers? It would be funny, to be honest, that the guy who is walking around with this cool thing and doesn't even have a bigger ship.

*Are you all cool if I stop using spoilers tags?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Bust Rodd posted:

Your goon license has been revoked.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

LinkesAuge posted:

it really isn’t futile it’s been explained in both the text and by plenty of users in this topic. you are mixing up you the viewer’s perspective on the Jedi with the galaxy and all its inhabitants’ perspective on the Jedi. the Jedi and their role are the center of the stories you’re watching/reading. those stories aren’t the stories of the vast majority of the galaxy. Greef Carga never saw the prequels or read any EU

there isn’t a direct analogue on our earth because we’re a single planet and not a vast galactic civilization but it doesn’t take a brain genius to take similar examples and extend the logic

idk what to tell you man I feel like not getting this is like a drunk looking for his keys under a streetlamp because that’s where the light is

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

I just watched a super cut of all the lightsaber fights in the first 6 movies and while I’ll concede that best fight is definitely tied between Anakin vs Obi Wen and Maul vs Obi/QGJ, the Emperor vs Maul, Maul vs old Kenobi, and Dooku vs Savage and the evil lady are all way, way cooler than anything in the movies.

The emotion in the final showdown between Maul and Obi wan is palpable, and I’m relieved that Maul went on to have a cool career after Phantom Menace

You wanna share a link?

Bust Rodd posted:

....Fuckin' 2008's

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Baronjutter posted:

At the very least he probably has like a cruiser or something smaller.

I doubt he has a Star Destroyer, though I could be wrong

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
wait why did you even join these forums if you don't understand the terrible secret of space

how do people find out about this place I don't even get it

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Finding out just what scale threat moff poulty siblings is is a good cliffhanger that lets us nerds speculate wildly.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
w-ww WHAT ?? the universe could not just FORGET about the Jedi! how could something fall so quickly from common knowledg--

Bust Rodd posted:

rofl

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Bust Rodd posted:

Leave.