Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

trucutru posted:

I just came here to remind everyone to call their parents and that anime is good.

My parents are dead, and I was frightened by anime as a child, you monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

I've been catching up on this thread and SC in general and have to ask - what year did Chris mocap Gary Oldman and and those big name actors? I forgot which Bootcha vid it was that showed the motion capture, but it looked really, really bad for a game made this decade even. Are they still planning on salvaging that footage? How much was actually even shot back whenever that was??

I have to agree anyone who thinks that SQ42 "visual sneak peak"(whatever the gently caress this is supposed to mean) trailer looks good has not played any recent aaa games on a high end pc in the past like - 4 years.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Slider posted:

I've been catching up on this thread and SC in general and have to ask - what year did Chris mocap Gary Oldman and and those big name actors? I forgot which Bootcha vid it was that showed the motion capture, but it looked really, really bad for a game made this decade even. Are they still planning on salvaging that footage? How much was actually even shot back whenever that was??

I have to agree anyone who thinks that SQ42 "visual sneak peak"(whatever the gently caress this is supposed to mean) trailer looks good has not played any recent aaa games on a high end pc in the past like - 4 years.

I believe 2014 was for all the big name actor stuff with their own equipment/studio.
Then in 2015 Chris did the addon mocap at Imaginarium for a bunch of secondary useless stuff like mopping, drinking, sitting etc.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUUlU6RvrQE

Rumor is that all of the pre-2015 stuff was incompatible with the modified CryEngine they have so it had to be thrown away. Chris did the mocap before they had a plan in place of how to use it or import it into the engine. All they have now is ability to use actors likeness and not their actual mocap on which they spent something like ~$30 million.

Also mocap itself is not a thing that magically appears in game. It requires a lot of additional engineering and animation to get right, something that competent games were able to do well (Hellblade for example). Chris doesn't have a competent team so all of the mocap will be garbage. That's why they're not showing any of these actors much anymore.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Dec 28, 2019

EmesiS
Feb 5, 2016

Things really turned around after 2.4.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
I think another reason they are not showing the actors, and this might have been guessing in the thread, but, isn't it also that the actors contracts just don't extend so many years and don't allow them to use their likeness in marketing anymore? Really think about it, they paid them once years ago and now they can use their digital likeness to do what ever they want with them for an indefinite amount of time?

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Sillybones posted:

I think another reason they are not showing the actors, and this might have been guessing in the thread, but, isn't it also that the actors contracts just don't extend so many years and don't allow them to use their likeness in marketing anymore? Really think about it, they paid them once years ago and now they can use their digital likeness to do what ever they want with them for an indefinite amount of time?

Without Chris disclosing the agreements in his most open development ever, it's hard to tell. If agreements are structured like TV shows/movies then they absolutely can show actual in-game footage with actors in them regardless of marketing agreements. They might no longer be able to show a photo of an actor next to Answer the Call promos, but they should be able to show the in game clips with the actor if they wanted. I'm guessing it currently looks terrible or incomplete and and/or they have nothing to show.

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.

I said come in! posted:

lol @ at the idea that Squadron 42 beta is suppose to be out in the next 6 months. Calling it right now, it will not be out in 2020.

By saying its a Beta, they have already set the stage that they can release a clunky sci-fi themed shooter, with AAA art assets, individually detailed shower rooms, bland sci fi corridors, and mediocre game play, and any complaints can be dismissed with "its just beta" or "you're one of those goons arent you?"

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Rad Russian posted:

I believe 2014 was for all the big name actor stuff with their own equipment/studio.
Then in 2015 Chris did the addon mocap at Imaginarium for a bunch of secondary useless stuff like mopping, drinking, sitting etc.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUUlU6RvrQE

Rumor is that all of the pre-2015 stuff was incompatible with the modified CryEngine they have so it had to be thrown away. Chris did the mocap before they had a plan in place of how to use it or import it into the engine. All they have now is ability to use actors likeness and not their actual mocap on which they spent something like ~$30 million.

Also mocap itself is not a thing that magically appears in game. It requires a lot of additional engineering and animation to get right, something that competent games were able to do well (Hellblade for example). Chris doesn't have a competent team so all of the mocap will be garbage. That's why they're not showing any of these actors much anymore.

The big Hollywood shoot was Summer of 2015, with CIG cranking out lots of puff piece videos about it that fall. It was during the June leading in to that big celebrity shoot that RTV 53 took place. That’s the one where Ben fawned about Sandi’s acting and Chelsea rolled her eyes and shot James that annoyed look. It was also when Chris phoned in his PC Gaming Show appearance.

That was their biggest mocap shoot, and the first one of real consequence. Hamill, Anderson, Oldman, and all the rest, and yes, apparently a massive technical botch alongside a directorial debacle, too. We saw the first fruits of that with the Bishop speech, which was awkward to watch day one and has aged miserably in the years since.

That we got to see at least a bit of Oldman’s wince-inducing performance suggests that CIG could, at great pains apparently, work with the mocap data they’d bagged that summer. But how much of that big, costly shoot actually might survive and still be planned for the game is anyone’s guess. Surely much has been rewritten and reshot. I think you’re right though about their likenesses being used more than their original performances. It may be that they mostly use the audio performances, recapturing the physical performance with nobodies lipsynching so they can reanimate their celebrity 3D dummies. That is, at least for whatever audio bits of that original script even survive.

It might be very little.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Dec 28, 2019

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

peter gabriel posted:

He said it would speed things up.
I love everything about this game, I desperately want it to release and watch the meltdowns as 4/10 after 4/10 review comes in.
That'll be the real pay off to me, when the Angry Joes and Jim Sterlings and all the other unwashed twats of the internet have open season on the thing,

jokes on you, when it relases in 2035 it’ll be heralded as a welcome and note-perfect love letter to the retro FPS game style of 2013, like shovel knight

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Oh man, I can't wait until the brown military shooter is the nostalgic retro thing that up and coming developers will want to replicate. :D

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
double comedy option is that it’s delayed so long that it’s release would be a welcome return to the years-dead FPS genre but it gets delayed again and beaten by a duke nukem kickstarter

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

I for one cannot wait to see Bishop blowing water bubbles while giving a bad speech in 2030. I bet it'll age like fine wine.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

precision posted:

Idiocy, in large numbers, resembles religion.

I just came up with that! Happy Christmas

ggangensis
Aug 24, 2018

:10bux:
Wow, the biggest german streamer Gronkh streamed Star Citizen 3.8 for about 10 hours

I can't be bothered wasting 10 hours of my time on that, but his viewership mainly consists of children, so there is that. Despite, I`am pretty sure this leads to a lot of new accounts from people that simply did not know SC up to this point and therefore more money for Chris to burn sigh. Is CIG running some new marketing offensive? PC Gamer, BBC, Gamestar, big mainstream Streamers like Gronkh all of the sudden "report" about SC 3.8, despite the fact that basically nothing has changed, except for new bugs?

ggangensis fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Dec 28, 2019

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

ggangensis posted:

Wow, the biggest german streamer Gronkh streamed Star Citizen 3.8 for about 10 hours

I can't be bothered wasting 10 hours of my time on that, but his viewership mainly consists of children, so there is that. Despite, I`am pretty sure this leads to a lot of new accounts from people that simply did not know SC up to this point and therefore more money for Chris to burn sigh. Is CIG running some new marketing offensive? PC Gamer, BBC, Gamestar, big mainstream Streamers like Gronkh all of the sudden "report" about SC 3.8, despite the fact that basically nothing has changed, except for new bugs?

Dont they have to disclose if they are sponsored or funded for a specific video/stream?

ggangensis
Aug 24, 2018

:10bux:

MedicineHut posted:

Dont they have to disclose if they are sponsored or funded for a specific video/stream?

Probably, I don't use twitch that often, so maybe there is something I've missed, but I couldn't find some sort of "sponsored stream" message.

Anyway, I don't think he will stream SC anytime soon again, even during holidays he just got 11.8k views on that stream. Usually he generates at least three times as many views per stream.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

MedicineHut posted:

Argh watch out for the flying triangles https://www.twitch.tv/videos/527029665?t=2h45m30s

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Hav posted:

My parents are dead, and I was frightened by anime as a child, you monster.

2 problems, 1 solution : find anime parents to adopt you.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

just witnessed people unironically using B-tier scifi movie scenes as justification for robert's terrible/nonexistent game design. is that a new low

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Tippis posted:

Oh man, I can't wait until the brown military shooter is the nostalgic retro thing that up and coming developers will want to replicate. :D

Well, given that we've gotten a remake of Modern Warfare this year, I think the time for it being "retro" has come.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/61894/thread/random-room-r-rd-are-not

t-t-t-tier 0!!!!!!!!!

mjotto
Nov 8, 2017
Star Citizen: The procedural valley of random and unreal

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

precision posted:

It can't be overstated that there isn't really any world where SQ42 delivers on being anything

Don't be a fudster. It should grow up to be a massive disappointment one day.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

eXXon posted:

Don't be a fudster. It should grow up to be a massive disappointment one day.

My wife's take on our marriage.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

It looks okay/good if it would be out now, but a lot of legacy leftofters like lighting and shading of this tech really start to become annoying. Especially metal surfaces look so terribly artificial from the early days of PBR, and almost everything in this game has metal surfaces.

chosing the percieved "PC master race" engine from 2007 (Crysis release, terrible looking consle ports) was such an extreme mistake only Croberts was able to sell.

also why the gently caress are they releasing a badly compressed 1080p video?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

haldolium posted:

800p

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

2.35:1 is a common cinematic aspect ratio.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
it is a movie you see, by acclaimed director chris rtobretszv\

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/1210984078612320256

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Kikas posted:

Well, given that we've gotten a remake of Modern Warfare this year, I think the time for it being "retro" has come.

We’re almost ready for another wave of Wing Commander nostalgia.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

haldolium posted:

It looks okay/good if it would be out now, but a lot of legacy leftofters like lighting and shading of this tech really start to become annoying. Especially metal surfaces look so terribly artificial from the early days of PBR, and almost everything in this game has metal surfaces.

chosing the percieved "PC master race" engine from 2007 (Crysis release, terrible looking consle ports) was such an extreme mistake only Croberts was able to sell.

All they've been doing for years is building a game that looks okay. That's the hilarious thing.

Millions of dollars wasted on a zero design art project and they've reinvented current gen blandness.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.
Today is a momentous day indeed, they have now collected enough funds to buy an A380.

:toot:

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

ggangensis posted:

I'am not sure how many of the old CryEngine wizards are still with CIG, though. At least for me it seems like a bad gig for them to stay with CIG. These people are clearly qualified I`am sure they could find another job in the industry pretty easily that's not some crowdfunded dead end with a pretty bad reputation. But as long as it pays the bills, who knows.

Yeah, people have mentioned that Cryengine specific skills are not in demand, which is true, but that's not really the point. Game engine related skills are extremely valuable to the right people. Sometime last year we received an email from the CEO (I think?) regarding a promotion for one of the Frostbite guys. If you're the kind of engineer that generates graphics programming related patents and other novel techniques that's the kind of poo poo that happens. Now not saying that these Cryengine guys are at that level but this guy is getting paid more than the vast majority of senior-level management at EA for his engine work.

Took a look to figure it out, it's Henrik Karlsson.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

monkeytek posted:

Today is a momentous day indeed, they have now collected enough funds to buy an A380.

:toot:

Also a white elephant.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

peter gabriel posted:

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS

*Backers laugh*

Roberts: Make it $30,000

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Unless I am missing something the streams I have watched so far the game seems actually more stable. Haven't seen any crashes, breaking bugs and such so far. CIG may be focusing in at least getting rid of the obvious crashes. As long as the streamers show they are doing "something" lack of actual gameplay is secondary.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

MedicineHut posted:

Unless I am missing something the streams I have watched so far the game seems actually more stable. Haven't seen any crashes, breaking bugs and such so far. CIG may be focusing in at least getting rid of the obvious crashes. As long as the streamers show they are doing "something" lack of actual gameplay is secondary.

This guy on the Frontier forums needs to get themselves a stream...

quote:

Man, 3.8 is the buggiest game I've ever played. But mentions of it in chat in-game resulted in the, "it's an alpha, don't complain" argument. And I said, "Well you'd think after 7 years it'd be less buggy..." to which they replied, "It's an alpha, all bugs are acceptable. Either put up with it or leave." The eternal alpha continues. Spent about 7 of my 8 hours playing trying to get the game to work for more than 15 minutes without a game breaking bug occurring. Can't reclaim ships, beds cause black screens, (so dying by walking into an NPC or other player results in having to restart your game, or when you fall through geometry or get stuck somewhere requiring suicide, which is a huge pain in parties) changing weapons cause black screens, EVA causes total character lock 10 times out of 10 when in zero-g space no matter how you exit your ship, trying on armor causes a game freeze, inspecting a weapon causes it to grow in size exponentially to where it blocks your entire view, (annoying one because your weapon won't fire till you inspect it due to another bug) etc. I could make a list of about 20 game breaking bugs from that one gameplay session. xD

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

MedicineHut posted:

They usually patch it up to some extent, but the engine is just completely hosed and incapable of pulling off a modern space sim. Whenever I’ve jumped into a free fly event, the game was playable enough in a very basic sense that it wasn’t a constant slideshow on my 1080ti and game breaking bugs were frequent but not every 10-15 minutes. But all I really could do is dick around a bit because all of the missions were completely broken or just never spawned. Also, you could just see the engine coming apart at the seams whenever it had to do anything other than render a small Crysis style FPS level map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

I said come in! posted:

lol @ at the idea that Squadron 42 beta is suppose to be out in the next 6 months. Calling it right now, it will not be out in 2020.

Lies! FUD!

I hope y'all had a merry Christmas! :)