Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015

Dean of Swing posted:

Lol that the Mandalorian has all its plot elements pay off without any mystery box bullshit.

Jj abrams is a horrible writer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

my dog died im sad posted:

Jj abrams is a horrible writer.

He's an OK director, though.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

olives black posted:

I feel like he's nearly spent in that regard as well. He had some really great visuals in Star Trek 09 and TFA, but ROS didn't at any time make me say, "wow that looks cool".

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
Knowing Mando's name isnt a ground breaking plot twist, to paraphrase Carl "so what?" The reason it is important is that it establishes the bad guy as being real bad and nothing more. There is beef to killing the bad guy beyond baby yoda (this time its personal).

Mando's identity isnt a plot twist either, cause turns out he just looks like a schlub. The reason it is important is because IG is helping Mando rise above ideology and accept help from a friend.

Both times it you are establishing more plot for the side characters rather than just the protagonist.

Dean of Swing fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Dec 28, 2019

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
It just occurred to me that the shining (from, you know, The Shining) and the force are, like, the same thing.

And you know who was skilled with both?

Coincidence? I think NOT. :colbert:

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

istewart posted:

I think the most damning indictment that I can offer is that I will likely never revisit these movies, except maybe as background noise.

They're just competent enough that we won't see them meme'd the way the prequels were.

This is the true version of ROTS and I won't have it any other way:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XziLNeFm1ok

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

halokiller posted:

They're just competent enough that we won't see them meme'd the way the prequels were.

This is the true version of ROTS and I won't have it any other way:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XziLNeFm1ok
It's got the best lines in the saga

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

I've seen this raw strength only once before. It didn't scare me enough then. It does now.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Alright, I wasn't gonna ask but you all got me curious now: when was the first time you saw "this raw strength"?

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Alright, I wasn't gonna ask but you all got me curious now: when was the first time you saw "this raw strength"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OYZ04mCGCo

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Let the hate FLOW through you!

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Agreed on the mando talk, finished it last night and it was such a stark contrast in quality on the star wars movies. Like goddamn, all of it was perfect, the characters are flawed yet likeable, the setting is gritty as gently caress yet sci fi, the action is intense and you never know what's gonna happen, the imperium actually feels oppressive and powerful, when you see a tie or at-st they don't gently caress around, all of it. Even the dialogue is fitting and no-nonesense. Baby yoda is annoying sometimes since it's obvious he's there to look cute and sell merch, but it's fine.

The funny part is that the force is something people have just heard rumors about and nobody really believes in it. Like, come on, sith and jedi have been a thing for thousands of years, how the gently caress do people still not believe in it. We have billions of people believing in made up gods on this planet without any proof ever, so people doing things like throwing around boulders with their minds and stuff on the regular should be more than enough to convince people.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

https://youtu.be/-NkhD3xquMU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Son of Rodney posted:

The funny part is that the force is something people have just heard rumors about and nobody really believes in it. Like, come on, sith and jedi have been a thing for thousands of years, how the gently caress do people still not believe in it. We have billions of people believing in made up gods on this planet without any proof ever, so people doing things like throwing around boulders with their minds and stuff on the regular should be more than enough to convince people.

Sith have been "extinct" for thousands of years. Jedi are like Scientologists with their thetans/midichlorians, only there were far less of them, in a much bigger galaxy, and they were active participants in a galactic war (fought mostly by droids and clones) for only a few years before becoming similarly extinct.

At the start of Phantom Menace two bigwigs of the trade federation have never run into Jedi Knights before. They know enough to be scared but not what they can actually do. What would your average cantina scumbag or moisture farmer know? No one has seen people "throwing around boulders with their minds and stuff".

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice
I always figured the galaxy is just real real big, so even if there were thousands of Jedi running around, most normal Star Wars people would never encounter them, let alone see real force powers in action.

But yeah, at the same time it’s kind of silly and you’d think everyone would talk about the force and poo poo all the time even if most of it was just rumor

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
They don't have internet in Star Wars so word doesn't get around as easily

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

sassassin posted:

Sith have been "extinct" for thousands of years. Jedi are like Scientologists with their thetans/midichlorians, only there were far less of them, in a much bigger galaxy, and they were active participants in a galactic war (fought mostly by droids and clones) for only a few years before becoming similarly extinct.

At the start of Phantom Menace two bigwigs of the trade federation have never run into Jedi Knights before. They know enough to be scared but not what they can actually do. What would your average cantina scumbag or moisture farmer know? No one has seen people "throwing around boulders with their minds and stuff".

I guess that's a fair point, I keep forgetting the scale and time frame these stories are playing in.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Zzulu posted:

They don't have internet in Star Wars so word doesn't get around as easily

It's this.

I know it's legit hard to remember a time when information about everything wasn't available immediately for everyone

It's like when you're watching a 90s crime thriller, and nobody has smart phones and they can't just Google poo poo, and not everyone is 100% clued in on all parts of culture. That's what star wars is

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Let the hate FLOW through you!

This guy Fucks!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
The Manda's were lying low after being massacred and actively hunted. They may not be up on the news of force wielders appearing back into the galaxy.
And with tens of thousands of planets, cultures, histories, you wouldn't expect to know them all or their abilities.

Still I get what you mean.
Like why isn't it common knowledge a Jedi killed the Emperor, that poo poo is propaganda gold for any new government.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im not sure exactly how the Disney properties handled it but my memory was people had no issue understanding the Republic had elite assassins with strange weapons who were also cultists. The stumbling block was since Jedi were extremely rare it makes sense most people would think "crazed death cultist kidnappers think they have magic powers, but we all know cultists are full of bullshit".

happyhippy posted:

Like why isn't it common knowledge a Jedi killed the Emperor, that poo poo is propaganda gold for any new government.

The new films are kind of bad, yeah.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

olives black posted:

Not really, no. He was ok up through 2008 or so, but then became one of many in the 2010s that interpreted the success of Nolan's anxious pacing in dreamlike, dislocated worlds that reflect unreliable narrators as, "regardless of setting or context, never give the audience the comfort of scenes having a sense of coherent place, space and time," while at the same time trying to ape Spielberg's production design and cinematographic style, which are rooted in scenes having coherent place, space and time.

He may be an ok producer.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

happyhippy posted:

"Yeah, I totally killed the emperor minutes before his moon-size battleststion blew up. What? No, I wasn't the one who blew it up, that was a side thing a bunch of other people were doing. I was in the throne room having this awesome sword fight at the time. Ah, no, there aren't any witnesses, everyone else in the room died. Just trust me."

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

happyhippy posted:

Would Luke want his father to be remembered that way? He’s the only witness after all, what he says would go.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think a random could get away with that but this is luke fuckin skywalker, he blew up the first death star

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

skasion posted:

Would Luke want his father to be remembered that way? He’s the only witness after all, what he says would go.

What about the Republic?
They would want it known that Vader and the Emperor were atomized, their reign over.
It would be a major psyche blow to the remaining Empire fleet, to make them give up.
Continue to fight for years to come, cover up the deaths of the top two in the enemy hierarchy, just to save the feelings of someone with father issues.
Of a father that has massacred millions

the rat fandom
Apr 28, 2010

Breakfast All Day posted:

Not really, no. He was ok up through 2008 or so, but then became one of many in the 2010s that interpreted the success of Nolan's anxious pacing in dreamlike, dislocated worlds that reflect unreliable narrators as, "regardless of setting or context, never give the audience the comfort of scenes having a sense of coherent place, space and time," while at the same time trying to ape Spielberg's production design and cinematographic style, which are rooted in scenes having coherent place, space and time.

He may be an ok producer.

The thing I keep coming back to is that Star Trek Into Darkness is his worst movie both as a film and as an entry to a franchise people like. Nothing in either of his SW movies is as embarrassing as the KHHHAANNNN moment in Into Darkness, and I do not say that lightly.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
TLJ subverted my expectations from TFA.

ROS subverted my expectations from TLJ.

It’s like a poetry it rhymes.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

The Walrus posted:

I don't think a random could get away with that but this is luke fuckin skywalker, he blew up the first death star

And then a second death star gets blown up and this rear end in a top hat just so happens to have a cool story explaining how everything was really down to him, so no one can steal his thunder?

Not buying it.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

my dog died im sad posted:

Y'all watch the new Lost In Space?

I watched the first three episodes and thought it was loving awful. Even if they get the story right, it'll be dragged down by having so many child actors.

Edit: Seriously, eat poo poo.

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Casting Gus fring as a sith lord was pretty genius not gonna lie

Salem Saberhagen
Feb 23, 2009
After ROS inspired me to compose a lovely poem about how I don't like star wars anymore, I was a bit suprised to find myself watching Walt Disney presents The Mandalorean. My wife had seen baby Yoder on the internet and thought I would want to watch it with her since I "love Star Wars so much".
Of course I watched the first 3 episodes and it was real good.
Man, if Disney just made this type of stuff, I'd be pretty happy.
Why does the sequel trilogy have to suck. It kinda makes me sad.

Edit: Sincerely, devour feces!

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

the rat fandom posted:

The thing I keep coming back to is that Star Trek Into Darkness is his worst movie both as a film and as an entry to a franchise people like. Nothing in either of his SW movies is as embarrassing as the KHHHAANNNN moment in Into Darkness, and I do not say that lightly.

:goonsay: JJ's handling of Star Trek was dumb flash with decent action that missed the philosophy of the series

a very large fish
Oct 18, 2012
rey should have had to take care of her grandpa in his twilight even though he's a tremendous monster who has murdered billions. i think that message would really resonate with the estranged parents/boomer crowd and they'd all be giving it five stars.

"my ES and his wife hid my granddaughter from me. i just want a relationship with her. they just cant get over mistakes i made before they were even born and that didnt even impact them. im just so hurt by all of this."

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

the rat fandom posted:

Did he direct the one where the enterprise flies around playing the beastie boys? Because that was the most embarrassing star trek moment, and i'm counting all the star trek associated pedophilia there

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Re-watched the first episode of the Mandalorian, and something occurred to me.

I don't know why, but I really, really want Werner Herzog to star in a shot-for-shot remake of an 80's teen sex comedy. Something like Ski School, Screwballs, Private School, whatever. I want him to play the main protagonist, and at no point does the film or characters acknowledge that he's not a highschool-aged boy.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Vim Fuego posted:

Did he direct the one where the enterprise flies around playing the beastie boys? Because that was the most embarrassing star trek moment, and i'm counting all the star trek associated pedophilia there

while the same song was played in the first movie, i think you're referencing the third movie where the planet-devouring nanites are destroyed by playing the song 'sabatoge' in space. jj did not direct that one

and i thought it was the best of the trilogy until the end but yeah that was rough

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Kazak posted:

The next tv series should be young lando sucking and loving his way into the governorship of cloud city
This but old Lando

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
The Mandalorian season finale was the best episode of anything I've seen all year and I have no loving clue why Taika Watiti hasn't directed a Disney Star Wars movie. He's an amazingly great, incredibly creative action, comedy, and ambiance director, whether you're talking What We Do in the Shadows, Thor Ragnarok, or this superb episode of The Mandalorian. Just give the man the reins to everything.

But it comes down to what I keep saying how most Marvel movie directors would have done a far better job on Star Wars, so it's really goddamn weird that Disney just said nah and did their own thing with Abrams and Johnson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i didn't see this movie or read any of this thread.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)