Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

SUNKOS posted:

It's talking about both consoles launching with weak CPUs at the time and how that won't be the case for PS5/SX, it'll be more like other gens where there's a decent upgrade in hardware specs.

this is nonsense though. for one it entirely misunderstands the differences between console and pc hardware and posits that because they launched with 1.7ghz cpus that was "weak" and not a significant bump from the gen before, and that previous generational leaps were significantly larger.

on the first point the clockspeed is more than made up for by the fact that games made for consoles even now still have much better usage of threading. pc is now finally catching up but at the start of the gen especially the fact that it was 1.7ghz was way overshadowed by the fact that the games were actually utilising the 6-7 cores available to them. this is further bolstered by the fact that both consoles invested very heavily into gpgpu compute on the gpu side, the ps4 moreso, which is again something that even today isnt really used on pc and made up for clock differences. the cpus were only "weak" if you looked at them from the pov of what is considered powerful on pc and disregarded everything other than that.

the idea that previous consoles were somehow different to this and actually clocked in closer to pc specs at the time is also entirely wrong. the ps3s gpu was a 7800, a card that had been discontinued 6 months earlier, and the 360 ran an x1800 which had also already been replaced prior to launch. also they both shipped with just 512mb of ram with the 360 using it shared between the cpu and gpu and the ps3 using a hard split of 256mb each, which was not a lot even at the time. i think people get tripped up with the ps3 and 360 because both of them had cpus clocking at like 3.6ghz which was pretty high, but both were also on the PPC architecture and came out the same year that PPC had fallen so far behind intel that even apple switched over, so despite the clocks they werent actually as powerful as desktop cpus at all. the cell maybe could be argued as being still relatively powerful due to having so many cores but it was impossible to use properly and sucked until basically the end of the generation.

if you want to go even further back then the ps2 launched with a 300mhz mips cpu while intel were pushing out P4s at 1.5ghz, and by 2005 the ps2 was still on the same 300mhz cpu while desktop PCs were pushing up to 3.2ghz on a dual core chip. even the original xbox which was by quite a margin the most powerful console that gen was only running a 700mhz p3 with a geforce 3 based gpu the same year that the ti 4600 launched.

the leap was the same as it ever was, and its looking to be the same again. if the cpu estimation is to be believed for the series x, then its running an 8 core amd at 3.5ghz. thats not exactly groundbreaking performance, in fact id argue its like, insanely middle of the road for a cpu in 2019/2020. most 8 core offerings from both amd and intel are turboing up to well over 4ghz with some intels nearly hitting 5ghz, and amd also have plenty of chips with not only higher clocks but more cores available as well. and this is for what is pretty clearly going to be an expensive offering alongside something more sane, and with the ps5 probably being much more in line with the latter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

*fart*

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
yeah exactly

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Real hurthling! posted:

Second screen bullshit at gen start was a play towards attracting mobile device users.

Holy poo poo I completely forgot this

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Good new features/gimmicks this generation: Sleep mode, screenshot and video clip sharing.
Average/optional/well it didn't hurt: touchpad on ps4, vr, second screen.
bad/useless: kinect, hdmi in, the lightbar on ps4 controller, voice control.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Wheany posted:

Good new features/gimmicks this generation: Sleep mode, screenshot and video clip sharing.
Average/optional/well it didn't hurt: touchpad on ps4, vr, second screen.
bad/useless: kinect, hdmi in, the lightbar on ps4 controller, voice control.

I used voice commands to turn the xbox off the other day when my so was getting super loving pissed at a game and it was very cathartic and funny, so I would at least bump that up to average/optional/well it didn't hurt

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

DrNutt posted:

I used voice commands to turn the xbox off the other day when my so was getting super loving pissed at a game and it was very cathartic and funny, so I would at least bump that up to average/optional/well it didn't hurt

I'll also say it was hilarious when Xbox NBA 2K14 players cursed loudly at the game in frustration while streaming with a Kinect connected and got an in-game technical foul for bad language.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
remember when xbox one voice control was kinect only and they acted like it was a special feature and it turned out the ps4 could do all of it except the xbox on bit with a normal mic and also it could parse naturalised titles like "AC4" instead of "assassins creed 4 black flag" that the xbox voice required. anyway voice controls all suck always unless you need it for accessibility thats cool and it should be there for that.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Stux posted:

anyway voice controls all suck always unless you need it for accessibility thats cool and it should be there for that.

Oh yeah, that's another good feature: The Xbox adaptive controller.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

univbee posted:

I'll also say it was hilarious when Xbox NBA 2K14 players cursed loudly at the game in frustration while streaming with a Kinect connected and got an in-game technical foul for bad language.

that's pretty great.

Stux posted:

remember when xbox one voice control was kinect only and they acted like it was a special feature and it turned out the ps4 could do all of it except the xbox on bit with a normal mic and also it could parse naturalised titles like "AC4" instead of "assassins creed 4 black flag" that the xbox voice required. anyway voice controls all suck always unless you need it for accessibility thats cool and it should be there for that.

yeah it's worth noting I guess that I was able to do this because I linked the xbox to the free google home mini I got from spotify, I don't have a kinect lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Wheany posted:

Oh yeah, that's another good feature: The Xbox adaptive controller.

yeah that thing is cool and sony should follow suit. did xbox one ever get the arbitrary remapping ps4 added cos if not then same for that but other way around

DrNutt posted:

that's pretty great.

yeah it's worth noting I guess that I was able to do this because I linked the xbox to the free google home mini I got from spotify, I don't have a kinect lol

oh yeah they ripped out the kinect requirement like immediately after everyone was like "its just a microphone what are you talking about"

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
oh and nintendo should do both and also stop putting in motion controls t hat have no alternate control thank s thank you

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Wheany posted:

Holy poo poo I completely forgot this

Same here... I forgot "SmartGlass" was a thing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Those second screen things could have been good, but they mostly just kind of sucked and phones around then sucked too. Fallout 4's second screen thing was cool, but that was back when using my phone for an hour would kill the battery and it was actually faster to just press tab to get to my pipboy.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Red Dead Redemption 2 has a second screen app so that gimmick isn't dead yet.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Rockstar are living in 2014

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I think the xbox accessible controller works on ps4 actually unless i understood them wrong

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Stux posted:

did xbox one ever get the arbitrary remapping ps4 added cos if not then same for that but other way around
Yes, Xbox One has universal button remapping now.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
ok so now its just nintenndo who need to shape up your move reggie

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

If i was doug bowser i would put a big pixel axe behind my desk

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

This is news to me

Another gimmick that did nothing was the little speaker on the DualShock4 that would sometimes put out audio in certain games. It's used in Death Stranding but I had to change it since it became very irritating to have a baby crying out of the controller all the time.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

FlamingLiberal posted:

This is news to me

Another gimmick that did nothing was the little speaker on the DualShock4 that would sometimes put out audio in certain games. It's used in Death Stranding but I had to change it since it became very irritating to have a baby crying out of the controller all the time.

Fwiw the Red Dead companion app appears to be broken, at least for me/my phone. It worked fine on my Google pixel when I played through the console version last year, but I redownloaded it to the same phone now that the PC version is out and the app keeps loving up and not installing properly.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

FlamingLiberal posted:

This is news to me

thats a wii invention and also its best use is in infamous where you hold the controller vertically and shake it to do a spray can and it makes the shakey noise from the speaker

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

ErrEff posted:

Google's customer support is Google. As in: You log on to https://www.google.com and type in your problem, then figure it out for yourself.

https://support.google.com/stadia/answer/9598538?hl=en

They have a online-chat and stuff, top-right corner.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Stux posted:

thats a wii invention and also its best use is in infamous where you hold the controller vertically and shake it to do a spray can and it makes the shakey noise from the speaker

I would argue the implementation from No More Heroes where it rings like a phone, you hold it to your ear, and the phone call portion of the cutscene plays out through it was extremely conceptually cool even if in practice after the first one you ignored all of them.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Hey all, hoping someone can shed some light on this issue. We have an Xbox One S and Live is current through February. My son received Crew 2 as gift last night and no matter what we try we cannot get through the Ubisoft login screen. We try to create a new account and get fields for email and username, but after hitting next it just hangs. I thought I could create the login on the website and use the login existing user feature but the website also hangs.

Is Ubi currently down or am I doing something stupid? The game won’t progress at all past that screen. Appreciate any direction! Thanks!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

TraderStav posted:

Hey all, hoping someone can shed some light on this issue. We have an Xbox One S and Live is current through February. My son received Crew 2 as gift last night and no matter what we try we cannot get through the Ubisoft login screen. We try to create a new account and get fields for email and username, but after hitting next it just hangs. I thought I could create the login on the website and use the login existing user feature but the website also hangs.

Is Ubi currently down or am I doing something stupid? The game won’t progress at all past that screen. Appreciate any direction! Thanks!

Did it download an update when it installed off disc? Did you try rebooting the Xbox?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

univbee posted:

Did it download an update when it installed off disc? Did you try rebooting the Xbox?

Yes and yes. I just was able to create an account on ubi and he’s seeing if that works. I didn’t realize that putting his birthday (he’s under 13) wasn’t allowed and the site didn’t give me that feedback yesterday. Hoping this works now that a login is created. The issue was that it was just spinning and spinning before, no error or timeout.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

That worked! Sorry to solve the issue on my own and waste the threads time. Cheers

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

TraderStav posted:

Yes and yes. I just was able to create an account on ubi and he’s seeing if that works. I didn’t realize that putting his birthday (he’s under 13) wasn’t allowed

Probably due to COPPA laws.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Those dirty rotten scoundrels at Digital Foundry have speculated that the Series X is going to be the most powerful console ever realized and also cost $700.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-playstation-5-xbox-series-x-spec-leak-analysed

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
i dont think its speculation to say the series x is going to be the most powerful console unless sony is also going to throw in with a pro model from day one.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

$700 lmfao

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

We have a 4k experience for those who can't jump in at launch called the Xbox one X.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

If that is real, MS should just sit out the next console generation

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Release console at $700 that is powerful enough to make games look great and run at a nice framerate: LOL 700 dollars, what a piece of poo poo, loving idiots, no one will pay that

Release console at $499 that sucks poo poo and runs "4k" at 1620p30: LOL the performance sucks, what a piece of poo poo, loving idiots, no one wants a lovely console that looks like Xbox 360 graphics

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Its not such a bad move for them
Xb1 will play all games for years so no one will feel left out and the pc envy elite console buyers will show up for a big stupid purchase day one.
The sales numbers will never be announced and lockhart at 399 or whatever will provide the volume they need to stay relevant

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

How much would a comparable PC cost? That’s the question consumers will ask themselves.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Blind Rasputin posted:

How much would a comparable PC cost? That’s the question consumers will ask themselves.

What do you want to do with it? 1080p? Around 700 could possibly do it if you already have a monitor. Probably around $1500 if you want to do 4K gaming considering that PC games don't implement the tricks that consoles do to pretend they do 4k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

Blind Rasputin posted:

probably $2000. Xbox stays winning.