Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
Han Solo's "I know" line wasn't scripted, the scripted version which I believe to be "I love you too" sucked and didn't fit Han, so Ford/Kershner agreed to change it.

Movie magic!

You will notice that "I know" fits his character perfectly, whereas poo poo like "yo mama" seems to come from nowhere. Almost like the people making the ST didn't really have a handle on the characters and their voices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Mandrel posted:

getting around to watching TCW and this Cad Bane guy I’ve heard so much about kind of sucks rear end at his job

TCW is painfully stingy about giving the antagonists some wins, in the true tradition of adventure cartoons where the villains are incredibly stubborn perma-losers.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

YaketySass posted:

TCW is painfully stingy about giving the antagonists some wins, in the true tradition of adventure cartoons where the villains are incredibly stubborn perma-losers.

The *real* villains get the wins, which is the big deal with it. Often through the show, minor antagonists getting their way could have prevented the Purge/Empire, but those episode protagonists had to win (except the poor clone who discovered the Order 66 chip in his head and removed it).

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
So order 66 was canonically a brainwashing thing? I remember in the 2005 Star Wars Battlefront 2 game the narration basically said that Order 66 was just another order which they followed as opposed to programming kicking in. I didn't like to think of it that way at the time, but I think now that I was just uncomfortable with the thought that the clone troopers had been advised that they might have to purge the Jedi and just helped them until they were told not to any more. Anyway now I think I'd prefer it to not be brainwashing

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Mandrel posted:

way behind here but one thing that stands out to me in AOTC is how much more I buy the Anakin/Padme romance as an adult. as a teen I thought it was bizarre and stilted and couldn’t comprehend why Padme would fall for this weird goober.

as an adult with perspective on what a weird goober I was as a teen and how stilted and awkward but inexplicably passionate my (and I imagine everybody’s) high school romances were its like “oh, yeah. that is what two repressed teenagers with raging hormones falling in love looks like” it feels spot on in the most uncomfortable cringey way

it makes me wonder how many grown ups who think it’s bad either never hosed growing up or have not engaged in any introspection about themselves and their own youth

Eh, I think you're close, but a lot is experience based. I, like many teen guys, tried the Anakin stuff, complete with the random ridiculous emotions nonsense and it *didn't work* on the hot girls in school, whilenwhat did tend to work were the instances where you tried hard to pretend you didnt care and hid all your emotions back then. So for people closer to high school and young adulthood at the time, it came off as even more unnatural - while when younger older, you're just more removed and it doesnt really ring true with personal experience as much. Now, they just come off more as two weird kids since my relation and personal investment has disappeared since then.

Darko fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Dec 28, 2019

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

2house2fly posted:

So order 66 was canonically a brainwashing thing? I remember in the 2005 Star Wars Battlefront 2 game the narration basically said that Order 66 was just another order which they followed as opposed to programming kicking in. I didn't like to think of it that way at the time, but I think now that I was just uncomfortable with the thought that the clone troopers had been advised that they might have to purge the Jedi and just helped them until they were told not to any more. Anyway now I think I'd prefer it to not be brainwashing

Syfo-Dias advised putting inhibitor chips in the Clone brains to prevent them from turning on their masters. When the Sith took over the cloning program, they adjusted those chips to have 66 put in, which would activate with the order.

One of the Clone chips malfunctioned and a clone flipped out and killed a Jedi early mid battle. It was then a race for Dooku and Sidious to cover it up (from both ends) before the chips were actually investigated.

One of the clones found out and took his out and tried to contact Rex and Anakin with the info. It resulted in Rex taking his chip out on his own just in case, which led to him joining the Rebels and surviving till the Jedi celebration.

Darko fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Dec 28, 2019

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

mllaneza posted:

That's a fair reading. But you still want to skip over the whole frolicking in the meadow scene in AotC, it kills the pacing and you get a better movie without it.

Yeah but even that admittedly dire scene has those giant testicle hogs Anakin rides. AotC is just absolutely stuffed with fun poo poo. It's a "fan-pleaser" in the way TROS is marketed. You wanted the Clone Wars? You wanted hundreds of Jedi fighting together? You wanted a good duel between a Jedi and a non-force user? You got it!

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Thing that always bothered me about the Clone Wars is why you call them that when only your side is using them, seems like it would be more appropriate if both sides were locked in an escalating arms race with clones.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I kind of preferred Order 66 as it was presented without the backstory.

Those genetically engineered super soldiers you created purely for war? Yeah, they're basically organic droids. They're only friendly with you until you're their target.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Palpatine can survive being in the heart of the Deathstar when it blows up, but Phasma died when she fell through the floor

:rip: to a real one

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Dec 29, 2019

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Captain Splendid posted:

I kind of preferred Order 66 as it was presented without the backstory.

Those genetically engineered super soldiers you created purely for war? Yeah, they're basically organic droids. They're only friendly with you until you're their target.

It works when you give them distinct personalities, which also works better when you see why they like ex slave Anakin more than any of the other Jedi slaveowners.

In the movies, yeah, they're just automatons, basically with only a hint of personal relationships with Cody. But once you get a lot of Clone perspective stuff and they're distinct personalities and also see that Anakin treats them like fellow soldiers while most Jedi treat them like slaves, it actually enhances things.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The Glumslinger posted:

Palpatine can survive being in the heart of the Deathstar when it blows up, but Phasma died when she fell through the floor

:rip: to a real one

She's out there somewhere. Probably moved in with Rose.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

honestly surprised they didn’t bring Phasma back in TROS

unless they did and just nobody has cared to mention it i haven’t seen the movie

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

garycoleisgod posted:

Almost like the people making the ST didn't really have a handle on the characters and their voices.

That's because the characters were probably outlines as "A Han solo type", "A Leia type, but with the force" and "A Luke type, but without the force". Thinking aobut how each of them are presented in TFA and you realize how little thought Kasdan et al. put into them. Poe especially is galling, because as much as I love Oscar Isaac, he makes no sense and only gets worse going forward. He's obviously suppsoed to be a dashing scoundrel, except he's part of the resistance from the get-go and is never bad or selfish in any way, except I guess he was a drugrunner, based on what Zohri says in TROS? This is also why Finn, a brainwashed child soldier, gets all aw-shucks flustered around the strong woman he meets, and seems like a country bumpkin (doesn't know what Wookies are, for instance). The actors sold it, but these characters are not organic beings, or even cliched templates, but were written to mirror, however badly, the original trio.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

This should have been a two part movie. gently caress

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

stev posted:

She's out there somewhere. Probably moved in with Rose.

Love can bloom on the battlefield :unsmith:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

euphronius posted:

This should have been a two part movie. gently caress

This should have been a zero-part movie.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

This should have been a zero-part movie.

Fair enough

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I don’t think more time to develop the dumb things would’ve made them less dumb.

I do think the decision for the Resistance to find out about Palpatine’s return right away rather than building up to the reveal (even if we already know) is really weird and lazy.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
I still can't believe Disney didn't have a plan for the trilogy. Like I get wanting to give director's some creative freedom, but to not have the overall shape and direction planned before you started just seems crazy.

3 JJ movies might have resulted in 3 unoriginal movies, but there might have been some kind of continuity throughout.

Was Rian originally supposed to direct this one or was it planned as 3 separate director's, and then one dropped out and later Rian got fired for angering the internet?

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
Abrams, Johnson, Trevorrow. Trevorrow got canned because he wanted Luke Skywalker alive in Episode 9. Book of Henry was just an excuse.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Horizon Burning posted:

Abrams, Johnson, Trevorrow. Trevorrow got canned because he wanted Luke Skywalker alive in Episode 9. Book of Henry was just an excuse.

How in the gently caress could they think this was a good idea. (rhetorical question)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The scene with IG and Mando. Holy poo poo.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
Leia sacrificing herself in 8 and Luke returning to lead the Resistance against Exegol would've been pretty rad. I mean, hes still in it anyway, hes just dead and now you have the question of why dead people dont just fix everything.

Imagine if Luke had distracted Kylo during the sword fight rather than his mother.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

It really is absolutely bizarre that Luke died in TLJ and not Leia.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

It really is absolutely bizarre that Luke died in TLJ and not Leia.

I think they (fairly) thought editing the movie to kill her off so soon after Fisher’s death would be too morbid. What we ended up with was pretty drat morbid though.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think everyone agrees she should have died prior to Mary poppins

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Fair enough, but jesus what we got was so much worse than giving her a noble out.

euphronius posted:

I think everyone agrees she should have died prior to Mary poppins

I would have been fine post-Poppins, but her instead of Holdo.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think Fisher gave a good performance in TLJ and I'm glad it was left intact. What TROS did with her was a travesty though.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I don’t think there was a good answer for what to do with Leia, but the least bad answer was probably for her to die offscreen between the two movies while still working some message or information she left behind into the plot.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
I remain a bit baffled as to why they dragged Leia's arc for that long compared to Han and Luke. Obviously Fisher's death was unforeseen (though Disney should have probably gotten some sideeye for prioritizing making her look good quickly given her condition), but she was clearly the most fragile and diminished of the original trio so concluding her story in either TFA or TLJ should have seemed wiser even without the benefit of hindsight. Like, Ford has wanted out for decades so he gets to have his character killed at the first opportunity, but Hamill seems the right combination of healthy, at the top of his game acting-wise and still invested in, if not the franchise, at least the fandom.

I'm guessing it's a combination of Luke being inconvenient to write around due to how much he could overshadow the protagonists and Leia dying first potentially attracting bad press, but even then, they could have gotten rid of the entire old cast to make way for the new way earlier if they wanted to.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I think the idea that Luke the symbol was more important to the galaxy than Luke the actual man could ever be was one of the few good and actually kind of risky ideas that the ST managed to more or less see through coherently to the end.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

General Dog posted:

I think the idea that Luke the symbol was more important to the galaxy than Luke the actual man could ever be was one of the few good and actually kind of risky ideas that the ST managed to more or less see through coherently to the end.

ofc, it's massively undermined by the fact that it's unclear what the galaxy knows about luke's big moment at the end of rotj

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

https://twitter.com/AngriestPat/status/1209629844759367680?s=20

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Pollyanna posted:

Fair enough, but jesus what we got was so much worse than giving her a noble out.

I would have been fine post-Poppins, but her instead of Holdo.

Mary Poppins is incredibly apt to describe that scene. I dont know if it was itt but someone said that Leia should have force pulled the ship to her instead of somehow flying and i'd have been much happier if that had been the case. Force pull is an actual establish power instead of loving flying. And yea 100% she should have been the sacrifice at the end of TLJ.

I can see why they didnt because of course they didnt realise she was going to die and they needed someone to help bring Kylo to the light, i'm sure Leia would have played a much bigger role in doing this in RoS. Han should have been absent the first two films because he's been hiding after losing his son, and it's in the third film after hearing that Leia has died where he comes back and helps Kylo. Kylo at that point would have witnessed his mother sacrificing herself for what she believed in Holdo style and had his convictions shaken.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Her pulling the ship to her would look exactly the same

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Blood Boils posted:

Sounds kinda awesome, more games should do that!

Consequences for your choices!

See also Planescape: Torment

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

euphronius posted:

Her pulling the ship to her would look exactly the same

Nah, you could shoot in a way where she's clearly not holding a pose against a green screen and someone in charge of the cgi hasn't just clicked and dragged her across the monitor.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Just Chamber posted:

Nah, you could shoot in a way where she's clearly not holding a pose against a green screen and someone in charge of the cgi hasn't just clicked and dragged her across the monitor.

... maybe she did pull the ship to her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

euphronius posted:

... maybe she did pull the ship to her

You're supposed to communicate these things if that's the intention.