Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Cool, thanks! i just mixed some red black and brown and yeah it does look kinda more like war paint in the end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

That Gobbo posted:

Mainly a lot of sponging and oil weathering to really grunge it up.

Ok, nice, never done that before. Would you think a technique like that would work on something the size of, say, a blightking?

Count_Brass
Jul 16, 2009
Doing a bit more work on the Primaris Apothecary. Having fun with this so far, gently caress knows how the 'Eavy Metal guys get such thin, neat lines on the holsters!

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Ok, nice, never done that before. Would you think a technique like that would work on something the size of, say, a blightking?

Totally! I did something pretty similar on one of the Space Marine Heroes Terminators:

For this guy I did sponge weathering with steel on the red plates and did a light dusting of pigment on the legs to bring the mini and the base together. The main thing is to do the sponging pretty sparingly because it's really easy to overdo it. Once you do that you can go in with oils to do some vertical streaking, which looks great on vehicles, or go lightly across a whole plate to give it a real grungy look. Oils can really help give more texture to a mini.

Also one thing I did forget to mention on the knight is that I did a healthy dusting of pigment on the legs and feet.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Count_Brass posted:

Doing a bit more work on the Primaris Apothecary. Having fun with this so far, gently caress knows how the 'Eavy Metal guys get such thin, neat lines on the holsters!

That looks so crisp! :drat:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Getting back into painting after not doing any for like a year

Accidentally painted Ork Duke Nukem

This one's still pretty red which works for Duke Nukem, but I've been trying a few different things and I think I've settled on doing my Freebooterz in a dark maroon color, should stand out from Evil Sunz Red but still looks pretty good with green skin. Also all kinds of gold accents, like gold teeth and golden guns.

Looks pretty good by my eye but any pictures I try to take come out looking pretty crap. Ordered a light box so maybe I can fix that, not that my painting skills are great anyways but hey.

E: I wonder if I can sculpt some greenstuff shades for Ork Nukem...

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Dec 29, 2019

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Today I transferred my Citadel Khorne Red to a drip bottle, and I guess I kinda regret the decision? The positive to this is that I now have an easier way to use what was a thick and messy paint, no more large mess from the citadel bottle, where the paint is so thick and heavy, the cap doesn't even stay open. The disadvantage is that it feels like I just wasted a lot of the Khorne Red to the funnel and just not being able to transfer all of it out of the bottle. A lot of it gets wasted as is from just the Citadel bottle as is and maybe that is just the nature of these paints and something to accept.

I am thinking a better alternative would be to buy the vallejo alternatives of the most popular Citadel paints that I use.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

There are so many quality paint brands out there there's not much reason to buy Citadel if you don't like the bottles, unless you're trying to perfectly match an existing paint scheme.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Moon Monster posted:

There are so many quality paint brands out there there's not much reason to buy Citadel if you don't like the bottles, unless you're trying to perfectly match an existing paint scheme.

I've been going with Citadel because that is what I started with, so for consistency of my collection, I decided to stay with it. As time has gone on i've been less and less tolerant of the quality of these bottles. The paints themselves are great, it's just the bottles that are god awful.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
More gribblies!

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

That Gobbo posted:

Totally! I did something pretty similar on one of the Space Marine Heroes Terminators:

For this guy I did sponge weathering with steel on the red plates and did a light dusting of pigment on the legs to bring the mini and the base together. The main thing is to do the sponging pretty sparingly because it's really easy to overdo it. Once you do that you can go in with oils to do some vertical streaking, which looks great on vehicles, or go lightly across a whole plate to give it a real grungy look. Oils can really help give more texture to a mini.

Also one thing I did forget to mention on the knight is that I did a healthy dusting of pigment on the legs and feet.

This guy owns, I need to get some of those terminators.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

I said come in! posted:

Today I transferred my Citadel Khorne Red to a drip bottle, and I guess I kinda regret the decision? The positive to this is that I now have an easier way to use what was a thick and messy paint, no more large mess from the citadel bottle, where the paint is so thick and heavy, the cap doesn't even stay open. The disadvantage is that it feels like I just wasted a lot of the Khorne Red to the funnel and just not being able to transfer all of it out of the bottle. A lot of it gets wasted as is from just the Citadel bottle as is and maybe that is just the nature of these paints and something to accept.

I am thinking a better alternative would be to buy the vallejo alternatives of the most popular Citadel paints that I use.

You can add some flow improver and water to the pot and shake the remains out. You'll be thinning the paint down anyway so this won't effect it at all.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Wrapped up the lizard lord for my Slaves to Darkness.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Oil weathering is extremely good for streaking and grime on this scale of stuff.

Tutorial from our own Bulbasaur.

This video shows the dragging and smudging that is most useful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3phIkEMgq8I

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

I said come in! posted:

I've been going with Citadel because that is what I started with, so for consistency of my collection, I decided to stay with it. As time has gone on i've been less and less tolerant of the quality of these bottles. The paints themselves are great, it's just the bottles that are god awful.

I transferred a bunch of my Citadel paints into bottles using one of the tutorials found around the Internet, and I've generally regretted it. The paints by themselves are too thick to pour easily, and adding a couple of drops of flow improver to help that out has a negative effect on their consistency during use. The paints that I've picked up since then I've left in the pots and been happier with them.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
So I've gotten a few Contrast paints, and by and large I've been pretty impressed with them. Painting stuff like WW2 Russians has been a breeze (there's a couple guides out there about how to paint WW2 minis with Contrast paints), and I've been experimenting with Contrast paints for other stuff (like a Dark Eldar/Drukhari Kill Team). Guilliman Flesh is a huge godsend, as are some of the other shades like Skeleton Horde and Snakebite Leather. I have dabbled with using other inks/washes (like the Army Painter stuff) to achieve the same effect as Contrast paints over a light basecoat, but there is definitely something to be said for having a shade pretty much ready to go straight out of the bottle.

One thing I've also been experimenting with is trying out different basecoats. From what I've read, Contrast paint generally works better over a more satiny surface, so to this end I bought a few "satin finish" craft paints, to use as basecoats for applying contrast. Got a couple light beige colors, a couple of light grays, and a slightly off-white color. I've also found that Contrast works really well over Army Painter Skeleton Bone (the bottle paint, not the spray), Stynylrez Neutral Yellow, and Vallejo brush-on primers (like their grey and Skeleton Bone primers).

Overall, I plan on eventually getting all the colors in the range. Like a lot of people jave said, they definitely won't replace my normal paints and painting techniques. But for getting certain things done in a hurry, they've been really good so far.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I was unhappy with my latest Plague Marines after the gloss varnish cured, they were too clean so I decided to shade the edges again with Agrax before applying the matte varnish. I've got to say washes behave very differently over varnish vs paint. I have much more control over the wash now because I can basically push it around until it dries as opposed to over paint where it starts to get absorbed quickly. I highlighted up my stinky boys more than I usually see in pics or videos because I like my models to pop but now I can shade them to grime them up without undoing the highlights so I'm much happier with my results.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Filthy Hans posted:

I was unhappy with my latest Plague Marines after the gloss varnish cured, they were too clean so I decided to shade the edges again with Agrax before applying the matte varnish. I've got to say washes behave very differently over varnish vs paint. I have much more control over the wash now because I can basically push it around until it dries as opposed to over paint where it starts to get absorbed quickly. I highlighted up my stinky boys more than I usually see in pics or videos because I like my models to pop but now I can shade them to grime them up without undoing the highlights so I'm much happier with my results.

Try it with the gloss version of agrax over your gloss varnish to get that effect but even more (or with oil/enamel washes to give you even more dry time).

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Painted a Warcry guy. The Splintered Fang models are incredibly good. Each model just oozes character.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Booley posted:

Try it with the gloss version of agrax over your gloss varnish to get that effect but even more (or with oil/enamel washes to give you even more dry time).

Yeah I'm going to keep playing around with the stuff. My latest model is a noxious blightbringer and I gave it a matte varnish after blocking in and the first wash, because I find that I often rub off parts of the wash while I'm handling the model. I'll take the opportunity to experiment with washing over the matte varnish to see how that behaves in comparison to gloss or no varnish. Another thing I started with this model is using more than one wash per part - normally I base my trim with balthasar gold, then wash with agrax and highlight with VGC bright bronze. I saw in some video that someone was using multiple washes to differentiate the metals so on the blightbringer I did the normal routine for the armor trim but I did an additional wash of Army Painter flesh tone on all the bells, which gave them a richer, redder color, and the difference remains after highlighting. It really does differentiate the metals nicely.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I painted my dudes mostly un-assembled should I put washes on them before or after glueing them?

Also should I matte varnish all my dudes?

Count_Brass
Jul 16, 2009

Ropes4u posted:

I painted my dudes mostly un-assembled should I put washes on them before or after glueing them?

Also should I matte varnish all my dudes?

I generally wash my minis in sub-assemblies, I don't see any issues. Varnishes have a couple of considerations:

1. Wear/Handling - How often are your minis going to be handled? If it's a display piece it may not be necessary. If you're slinging them around a table every weekend then it'd be a good idea to prevent paint rubbing off.

2. Finish - Varnishing is part of the painting process, not just "aftercare" and effects the rest of your work. How do you want the overall finish to look? Have you used for instance any "technical" paints that could be affected (e.g. a blood effect?) I like to mix brands of paint (specifically matte Scale75 and satin GW) so a varnish over the top would ruin the effects I'm going for.

*Edit* 3. Brand of matte varnish - Dullcote seems to be popular so I'd imagine you can't go far wrong but brands aren't created equally. AK Interactive Ultra Matte for instance is VERY matte compared to Vallejo.

Count_Brass fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Dec 30, 2019

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Are there any methods for stripping away old superglue gunk? I’m restoring my old 3rd Edition Necron army and I’ve got a broken Wraith that just will not glue back together because he’s been broken and re-glued so many times that there’s a ton of build-up preventing things from fitting flush. If I could strip it back down to the bare pewter I might be able to get it together again.

It’s a neat looking model, but it’s designed really poorly - the one major point of assembly is dead-center in the thinnest part of the model (the tail) instead of making the tail one piece and have the torso be separate. If they’d done it that way with a ball socket like the Necron Warrior, you could have posed the thing in various ways, too.

Oh well, one of the many reasons they redesigned that model from the ground up.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Count_Brass posted:

I generally wash my minis in sub-assemblies, I don't see any issues. Varnishes have a couple of considerations:

1. Wear/Handling - How often are your minis going to be handled? If it's a display piece it may not be necessary. If you're slinging them around a table every weekend then it'd be a good idea to prevent paint rubbing off.

2. Finish - Varnishing is part of the painting process, not just "aftercare" and effects the rest of your work. How do you want the overall finish to look? Have you used for instance any "technical" paints that could be affected (e.g. a blood effect?) I like to mix brands of paint (specifically matte Scale75 and satin GW) so a varnish over the top would ruin the effects I'm going for.

*Edit* 3. Brand of matte varnish - Dullcote seems to be popular so I'd imagine you can't go far wrong but brands aren't created equally. AK Interactive Ultra Matte for instance is VERY matte compared to Vallejo.

Thank you, in the future I need to start thinking ahead more and putting together a plan.

Meeple
Dec 29, 2009

Xenomrph posted:

Are there any methods for stripping away old superglue gunk? I’m restoring my old 3rd Edition Necron army and I’ve got a broken Wraith that just will not glue back together because he’s been broken and re-glued so many times that there’s a ton of build-up preventing things from fitting flush. If I could strip it back down to the bare pewter I might be able to get it together again.

It’s a neat looking model, but it’s designed really poorly - the one major point of assembly is dead-center in the thinnest part of the model (the tail) instead of making the tail one piece and have the torso be separate. If they’d done it that way with a ball socket like the Necron Warrior, you could have posed the thing in various ways, too.

Freezing will make superglue brittle and easier to break off with a pick or similar.

It feels like I've had an easier time removing old glue from models I've been soaking in isopropyl alcohol to strip the paint, but that might just have been because the glue was stuck to the paint rather than the metal. Can't hurt if you need to strip the paint anyway, I suppose.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I think my two biggest issues with painting right now are:

Choice of paint/mixing paint

Layering

What are ways I can actually practice and improve these techniques? I don't feel like I'm getting better. I've watched tons of video but can't seem to apply.

Highlighting is also an issue for me.

I feel like finally setting up my wet palette might help but last time I tried it was way too wet. How do you mix paints on a wet palette without ruining brushes

I'm a mess!

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Xenomrph posted:

An acetone soak will kill basically any superglue buildup. Just make sure you're only leaving the pewter parts in there, since it might eat your plastic base.

If you need to be picky, you can dip a cotton swab in the acetone and scrub at it. It'll take longer, of course.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Phi230 posted:

I think my two biggest issues with painting right now are:

Choice of paint/mixing paint

Layering

What are ways I can actually practice and improve these techniques? I don't feel like I'm getting better. I've watched tons of video but can't seem to apply.

Highlighting is also an issue for me.

I feel like finally setting up my wet palette might help but last time I tried it was way too wet. How do you mix paints on a wet palette without ruining brushes

I'm a mess!

I mix paints on my wet palette with the edge of a toothpick, it works pretty well for me. One thing to remember when you're using a wet palette is when NOT to use it, for example metallics can separate when they get too wet so you want to use a dry palette for them. I also prefer using washes off a dry palette when I want to get very small amounts of wash on my brush at a time.

You can practice your painting on the sprues, they're mostly flat surfaces and save you from painting your models so much you lose detail on them. Prime them the same way you do your models.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

grassy gnoll posted:

An acetone soak will kill basically any superglue buildup. Just make sure you're only leaving the pewter parts in there, since it might eat your plastic base.

If you need to be picky, you can dip a cotton swab in the acetone and scrub at it. It'll take longer, of course.

Seconding this. Acetone will strip everything off a metal miniature and destroy all plastic.It turns superglue residue into a kind of weird jelly that just comes off.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

i effing love space wolves and these dudes are starting to become an actual army

didnt realize until i put them next to each other that the primaris dudes are significantly larger than the regular dudes

gotta figure out how to get more creative with the bases. also the primaris dudes i have i got in the first strike kit and they are the 'easy to assemble' models with the big plastic strip under the feet and theres a hole in the base for them which i dont like

finally, got a bad rear end warp crate and instead of a mix of randos who are cemented together and in various states of paint, i got this:

they also threw these in, which i probably won't use for them but are brand new and still appreciated:

and i sure as poo poo am going to assemble these things properly:

v excited

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

im pooping! posted:

i effing love space wolves

I'm into it, ignore all the assholes who are gonna give you poo poo.

TTerrible posted:

Seconding this. Acetone will strip everything off a metal miniature and destroy all plastic.It turns superglue residue into a kind of weird jelly that just comes off.

3rd. It's tits.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
I was just at my last white elephant party of the year and ended up with a pair of these mighty sight glasses. My response was, "hey these might help in painting miniatures, cool." Which was not the reaction the gift buyer expected, who bought them as a useless prank gift.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

im pooping! posted:

i effing love space wolves and these dudes are starting to become an actual army

Those are super cool. I really like the almost black pin wash with the light blue, looks really cool. Makes me think that I should have used a dark wash on my imperial fists instead of the watered down sepia one.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Cross posting from the 40k thread:

JackMann posted:

Finished up the start of my Iron Hands army.

Decided to go with a mud and grass basing style for these guys. The static grass came out pretty well here.

It did not go quite as well with some of these lads, sadly. May have to scrape off the grass where the glue went all frosty and try again. I'm pretty sure my mistake was not smearing the glue out flatter. Too much glue, not enough grass.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
I really wish I hadn’t put the imperial fist upgrade-sprue shoulders on my guys and just used the transfers. Those moulded shoulder-pads are one of the worst things I’ve ever had the displeasure of painting. It’s like impossible to get a clean black circle that doesn’t leave tiny marks outside the circle, and I constantly have to try and fix the white inside the circle as I inevitably scape it while trying to do the black circle or fist :negative:

E: I’m real bad at painting though, so it may be a me-problem, but god drat.

Revelation 2-13 fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Dec 30, 2019

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Dude. Trying to get a circular decal on a paldron to lay flat is a chore and a half even with all the special salves and annointments.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

DiHK posted:

Dude. Trying to get a circular decal on a paldron to lay flat is a chore and a half even with all the special salves and annointments.

Microsol and gently patting it down with a soft brush gets those things on nicely for me every time. You really need to tease it down and the microsol helps turn it super malleable. If it looks like it has teeny tiny wrinkles (and not actually folded parts) those disappear once you gloss over it.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
eegh.... I'm planning on just getting some 3d printed shoulder emblems and painting them before adhering them.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I all around hate transfers and just choose not to use them unless I’ve got a gun to my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Trying to colormatch this orange, ideally in some Vallejo paint. Anyone have recommendations for a base coat/wash etc? Want to do a good job of it.

Also I've never painted black before. Recommendations on what to do there?