Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Disco Elysium is the one RPG with genuinely realistic combat, don't @ me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Hwurmp posted:

Disco Elysium is the one RPG with genuinely realistic combat, don't @ me

What if I'm @ing you to agree

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Relevant to the discussion yesterday, I saw this cool essay about how the game's fascist characters expose the inherent ridiculousness of fascism without needing to constantly say that fascism is bad directly.

quote:

“It’s the little pleasures. Life doesn’t need to be a struggle.”

But as we’ll learn more by talking to him, struggle is René’s raison d’etre. To paraphrase Umberto Eco – who also, famously, declared that “For Ur-Fascism there is no struggle for life but, rather, life is lived for struggle” – fascism’s cult of heroism needs enemies like a fire needs oxygen. It’s these embers of hatred, stoked by perceived threats, that keeps the old vet chugging along.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I imagine not a lot of you got this one:

(Not mine, found.)

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Night10194 posted:

Imagine how much better Banner Saga would have been without its awful combat.

I think the combat is fine in Banner Saga, just the first game got repetitive the second game was a huge improvement imo.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Jack2142 posted:

I think the combat is fine in Banner Saga, just the first game got repetitive the second game was a huge improvement imo.

It has some of the worst SRPG combat I have ever seen.

I have no idea what they thought when they were designing the turn system that penalizes you for killing enemies (and subsequently renders half the abilities/classes worthless garbage as if the unit variety wasn't bad enough before that)

Andrast fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Dec 28, 2019

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Andrast posted:

what if I want good combat and not MMO hotkey garbage

then you play dark souls or an fps

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Shear Modulus posted:

then you play dark souls or an fps

no

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Megazver posted:

(Not mine, found.)

What’s he say if you’re a moralist? A++ number one would cop again?

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Megazver posted:

(Not mine, found.)

I got this one! However it was on my second playthrough where I was aiming to be as big a shithead as possible.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Begemot posted:

Relevant to the discussion yesterday, I saw this cool essay about how the game's fascist characters expose the inherent ridiculousness of fascism without needing to constantly say that fascism is bad directly.

"There’s enough alienation in Martinaise already, and the only way to really fail in Disco is to willingly create more of it."

Hell yeah.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

freebooter posted:

Just reached the point where the phasmid shows up and I think I said "holy poo poo" out loud. I can't believe something that starts out as a joke sidequest leads you to this weirdly beautiful, moving moment.

i wish i could explain why that moment is so moving and powerful

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

babypolis posted:

Turn away from ruin and go forward.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

babypolis posted:

This is a bit of a reach, but it's a metaphor for communism. The entire game it sets up that the hunt for the phasmid is a fool's errand, only really believed by a few dedicated nutjobs. "Reasonable" people know not to believe in that childish nonsense. Except then it is real. It's a validation that all the people who declared themselves too smart to believe in that sort of thing had simply built themselves a worldview that had no room for imagination. No room for hope. It's a message to everyone out there with a cause they believe in that just because people say your ideas are "unrealistic" doesn't make them right.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I don't think it's specifically communism, but rather any kind of belief things can improve and that something genuinely new and seemingly impossible can exist. And that that new thing can be beautiful and kind and strange instead of horrifying or awful.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
That's too political, it's just love.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The Cheshire Cat posted:

This is a bit of a reach, but it's a metaphor for communism. The entire game it sets up that the hunt for the phasmid is a fool's errand, only really believed by a few dedicated nutjobs. "Reasonable" people know not to believe in that childish nonsense. Except then it is real. It's a validation that all the people who declared themselves too smart to believe in that sort of thing had simply built themselves a worldview that had no room for imagination. No room for hope. It's a message to everyone out there with a cause they believe in that just because people say your ideas are "unrealistic" doesn't make them right.

Yup, this is bang on the money

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
It's not communism, it's just hope. Beautiful things can happen in a doomed world, trying isn't futile, inertia and wallowing in the misery of it all is.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I can understand any critique of the game made, however wrong it may be, except for the people who say it's hopeless and nihilistic

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

I can understand any critique of the game made, however wrong it may be, except for the people who say it's hopeless and nihilistic

this is the major tell that the person missed the point massively

Hibbloes
Jun 9, 2007
Yo

Epic High Five posted:

I’d say hopelessness and nihilism are right there in the package, because it’s all ideology. Communism and capitalism trade insults, conservatives and liberals battle uselessly in ways we’re all familiar. I’d say the problem is people looking at the game and not wanting to hear it again, all it’s gross tragedy and failures and reminders of real history. Some people just want to run away and not think about it, to turn into a pillar of salt or hide under a boat.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Night10194 posted:

I don't think it's specifically communism, but rather any kind of belief things can improve and that something genuinely new and seemingly impossible can exist. And that that new thing can be beautiful and kind and strange instead of horrifying or awful.

I agree with this and think it specifically works because of the timing. It shows up precisely at the moment when you've solved the case, and you're learning that the murder wasn't part of some grander conspiracy by the actual powerful factions in Revachol (which is what seems to be occurring after you find out the Hardie boys staged the lynching and it was actually a sniper). It was just some sad, lonely, crazy old hermit lashing out at the world. And seeing the phasmid sort of reminds you that there's more to the world than the case, that life might be full of ugly things like random murder but also full of beautiful things - not just the phasmid itself but also the cryptozoologists' devoted passion and belief in it, which turned out to be right.

(I haven't actually finished the game yet so may be wrong on some of that.)

Caufman
May 7, 2007

DalaranJ posted:

I think he says something like, it's weird that such an eccentric cop would have such milquetoast political opinions.

If Harry is also a BoringCop, Kim will also that it's doubly weird that Harry insists that he is plain and normal.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

DalaranJ posted:

I think he called me a "staunch man of the center and true-blue moralist" and expressed confusion how I could also be a communist at the same time while simultaneously preaching the imminent end of the world.

Edit: I appreciated that as Cop of the Apocalypse I could respond to Joyce's final question with "The human experiment has failed. Let the Gloaming commence" instead of giving concrete advice or expressing a spineless non-opinion. And when she calls you insane, then at least it makes sense :v:

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Dec 29, 2019

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

Night10194 posted:

I would add that it has a lot to do with Harry's state of mind (and body) at that point, especially if you've already had the conversion with Dolores Dei where he's reminded of who he used to be, and the darkness that all the voices in his head are convinced will follow him forever. Very early, in an internal conversation with Inland Empire, you can say that you are investigating the murder because you think it will lead to something miraculous. It doesn't explain outright why you think so and why you need it, but the seed is planted there.

The way the scene plays out reminded me immediately of The Last Unicorn:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrbxjNtWnn8

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

dead gay comedy forums posted:

this is the major tell that the person missed the point massively

The hot take reviews were p funny, that eurogamer one was hilariously off beam

Also rps, which darkly alluded to "issues" without saying what any (cuno) of them(cuno) were (cuno)

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Epic High Five posted:

Yeah there's an ennui and a self-loathing but it presents these as things to overcome, to radically reclaim or reshape who you are even in the face of a hostile, dying world.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
So I just bought this game and played the first hour of it.

Am I a complete loving idiot? how the gently caress do I make any progress to the hanging body? all avenues are telling me that I gotta get money to get ammonia and to get an overcoat or umbrella for the rain, but gently caress me all I've found so far is a plastic bag to collect plastic bottles but there's no bottles anywhere, I'm almost out of places to explore and it's already 3 pm and if I dont get money soon I'll get kicked out of the hotel.

I feel like there's more to this game than just being a point and click mystery with fallout style traits and a dice roll for dialogue but gently caress me I cant wrap my head around how I should be approaching this game at all.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

You'll only see bottles if you're actually holding the bag in your hand. You don't need anything for the rain.

The corpse and other major case elements can take a long time to work through, sometimes multiple days. Just keep on exploring, thoroughly and methodically; examine everything and talk to everyone. Whatever help you need can be found in unlikely places.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Al-Saqr posted:

Am I a complete loving idiot? how the gently caress do I make any progress to the hanging body? all avenues are telling me that I gotta get money to get ammonia and to get an overcoat or umbrella for the rain, but gently caress me all I've found so far is a plastic bag to collect plastic bottles but there's no bottles anywhere, I'm almost out of places to explore and it's already 3 pm and if I dont get money soon I'll get kicked out of the hotel.

I feel like there's more to this game than just being a point and click mystery with fallout style traits and a dice roll for dialogue but gently caress me I cant wrap my head around how I should be approaching this game at all.

There's several different people with a vested interest in you not being a colossal gently caress-up, and they'll help you pay your hotel bill if you request it.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Quantum Shart posted:

Yeah there's an ennui and a self-loathing but it presents these as things to overcome, to radically reclaim or reshape who you are even in the face of a hostile, dying world.

Speaking of overcoming hopelessness, I really liked the walking date Harry can go on with Lilienne the Net Picker. A second date at the end of a year of sobriety is an interesting stretch goal. Bonus when Kim is there as the lovably uncomfortable chaperone.

Of course, you can also play Disco Elysium as yet another destructive episode in the late-stage alcoholic life of Dick Mullen, and the game will respond appropriately. That can be entertaining, but I can only suggest it after you've done right by Harry. Or else it's too miserable and/or psychopathic.

Al-Saqr posted:

It's important to know that failure is an option. Do not give up if you've made little-to-no progress on the case or on your hotel bill by the end of the first day. In fact, don't worry about the case at all. Just run out the clock on life and keep finding ways of abusing Kim.

You must have the bag equipped in your hand to find bottles. Hold down tab to highlight interactable objects like empty bottles. Generally speaking, collecting bottles does not provide enough money to get around. A more lucrative but less honorable way of getting money early on is to beg, extort, ask for and accept bribes.

You can get free amonia from the gardener that's hanging outside the hostel.

Have you talked to the corporate representative? You can find her on a boat on the northwestern edge of the pier. Not only is she an important interviewee for the case, speaking with her provides a couple of useful early-game thoughts for your thought cabinet. And she's rich, which means she's worth shaking down.

Congratulations on an excellent purchase.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Al-Saqr posted:

The thing to realize about the game is that the time pressure is not as severe as it might seem. There are a few time sensitive events (and these will be marked in your journal so it will never spring up on you) but for the most part you can spend a lot of time loving around and still do fine. If you fail at something, you can usually come back at any point later and try again. The specific issue you're having with the money for the hotel will resolve itself - just talk to people and eventually the solution will come up.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Epic High Five posted:

i mean it is hopeless, in that the particular kind of hope that DE presents is not the 'hope' that's enshrined in today's ordoliberal capitalistic democracy. it's not obama's HOPE, it's not 'adjusting the tax rate by two percent and using the proceeds to entice private insurers to insure people with a pre-existing condition', it's not 'spending billions in a stimulus package while constantly cracking down welfare and aid for the poor. that's the kind of hope that sustains a system and sustains its hegemony. no, DE offers a radical -though perhaps not radically new- hope, by showing the power of individuals as a collective -titus and the gang, the union, but also, in more negative sense the mercenaries, the most directly 'powerful' group in the game- as well as the individual over the self. the current obviously injust system is not invulnerable nor as hegemonic as it seems, within the collective lies the power, and seemingly more and more the will, to radically change and improve its lot and decide their own destiny. the revolution might not be a communist revolution -the communists are all dead and buried after all-, but revachol is clearly a powder keg eagerly waiting for a spark. a better future is possible, but not by ruling the world as a numbers fuckstein, no, the real power lies in the hand of the people and that's making liberals and moralists quiver with fear

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

anything that's actually time sensitive will explicitly say so in the quest description. Just talk to everybody and explore and make sure you have money for the 2nd night.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Al-Saqr posted:

The only advice I can really give is to explore the world more thoroughly, and don't worry too much about warnings and deadlines. Except paying for your room for the first two days, that one you actually have to do or the game soft-locks. There are options for covering those expenses though, people who are willing to give you money if you're willing to ask, or you can throw your weight around and get the total knocked down to something more reasonable.

Also, something the game doesn't explain very clearly (I don't think) is that there are three different kinds of skill checks:
- Passive checks: These are the most common. This is when your skills pop up in dialogue with little bits of advice, and they also influence what you can see as you walk around the world. With higher perception, you will spot more containers that have money and healing items.
- White checks: These are active checks you choose to take in dialogue. They test a certain skill, and always have a chance of failure or success, no matter what. If you roll snake eyes, you always lose, if you roll two sixes, you always win. If you fail one of these checks, you can retry later IF you do something that improves your chances of success. This can be either a modifier (getting more information about the situation, etc) or increasing the relevant skill with a skill point.
- Red checks: These are active checks much like white checks, but you can only try once. Usually they involve some physical act that will get you through a situation more easily. Generally, it is totally okay to fail these too, and often very funny.

Also, don't feel like save-scumming is off limits if you just want to move on. The game has quick saves and loads for a reason, and it can be very frustrating if you miss that 97% check that you need to progress a quest.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

oscarthewilde posted:

i mean it is hopeless, in that the particular kind of hope that DE presents is not the 'hope' that's enshrined in today's ordoliberal capitalistic democracy. it's not obama's HOPE, it's not 'adjusting the tax rate by two percent and using the proceeds to entice private insurers to insure people with a pre-existing condition', it's not 'spending billions in a stimulus package while constantly cracking down welfare and aid for the poor. that's the kind of hope that sustains a system and sustains its hegemony. no, DE offers a radical -though perhaps not radically new- hope, by showing the power of individuals as a collective -titus and the gang, the union, but also, in more negative sense the mercenaries, the most directly 'powerful' group in the game- as well as the individual over the self. the current obviously injust system is not invulnerable nor as hegemonic as it seems, within the collective lies the power, and seemingly more and more the will, to radically change and improve its lot and decide their own destiny. the revolution might not be a communist revolution -the communists are all dead and buried after all-, but revachol is clearly a powder keg eagerly waiting for a spark. a better future is possible, but not by ruling the world as a numbers fuckstein, no, the real power lies in the hand of the people and that's making liberals and moralists quiver with fear

Yeah the hope in the game is that the system CAN fail. Which is frightening to liberals who place so much of their sense of security in the institutions they've built, but comforting to people who have been forgotten or oppressed by the system and told their entire lives that this is the only way that things can be.

Begemot posted:

Also, don't feel like save-scumming is off limits if you just want to move on. The game has quick saves and loads for a reason, and it can be very frustrating if you miss that 97% check that you need to progress a quest.

This is true but I also want to stress that at least on your first playthrough you should avoid doing this as much as possible, especially on red checks. Even if it's a red check you got robbed on by snake eyes (which is frustrating). The game is a lot more interesting if you just play through your failures and the only hard failure states will instantly send you to a game over screen so what you did wrong will be obvious. Most white checks don't actually have to be passed - a lot of them are just alternative routes to the same objective and sometimes there are routes available that don't require checks at all, and a ton of stuff just straight up does not even need to be done to finish the game (I think you can finish the game without ever even getting the body down from the tree, though I haven't tried to do this). It is a good idea to keep a few separate saves just in the highly unlikely event you get absolutely softlocked by failing ALL the potential white checks you need to pass to continue and not being able to increase your skills further, but this is only a very last resort kind of thing.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Dec 29, 2019

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Has anybody told Zizek about this game?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The only check you are always allowed to save scum is commanding Kim to dance. If you fail that, nobody can blame you for reloading.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Is there any way to get Kim to wear the jacket?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Mr. Evrart is helping me find my gun.