Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Who was the grey stripey dude, he seemed to be in charge? Did I miss his name or did he have a cut song?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

YggiDee posted:

Who was the grey stripey dude, he seemed to be in charge? Did I miss his name or did he have a cut song?

That's Munkustrap, who serves as the narrator but doesn't have his own song. He was actually expanded on, surprisingly, as he does bits other cats do in the musical - most of the hype work in Mr Mistoffeles is usually performed by Rum Tum Tugger, the cat who fucks, for instance.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

This movie is about a cult of living creatures performing a ritualistic act wherein an elevated figure must condemn one of their own to death.

So basically, this movie is a remake of Midsommar.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Why did you post a tweet from some rando with like 200 followers instead of just posting a link to the article itself?

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Why is there a train cat

Just dredging this quote up from pages back because one of my first thoughts about this movie was “I don’t think train cats are a thing in America, this is going to confuse people” and I’m delighted to see that it’s true

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Just dredging this quote up from pages back because one of my first thoughts about this movie was “I don’t think train cats are a thing in America, this is going to confuse people” and I’m delighted to see that it’s true

are train cats a thing in england? what the hell is a cat of the railway train

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
Yeah! Here are some:

https://www.crosscountrytrains.co.uk/blog/days-out-uk/train-station-cats-of-the-uk

http://www.purr-n-fur.org.uk/featuring/wk-rail04a.html

I’ve met Hector :)

e: don’t ask me to explain why a random railway cat gets a literal song and dance in a blockbuster movie though

Prism Mirror Lens fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Dec 28, 2019

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I like train cat because he very obviously thinks he runs the train and is terribly important and it's lovely. What the hell happens to the train that needs to go on the night of the ball? What are you doing neglecting your loving job, tapdancing skimblecat?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
There's also Tama, who was the station master of Kishi Station.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

HopperUK posted:

I like train cat because he very obviously thinks he runs the train and is terribly important and it's lovely. What the hell happens to the train that needs to go on the night of the ball? What are you doing neglecting your loving job, tapdancing skimblecat?

pto

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

YggiDee posted:

There's also Tama, who was the station master of Kishi Station.

Oh god, is this out in Japan yet? Has anyone checked to see how they're doing?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I have no idea of the movie's out there yet but here's a Japanese version of Skimbleshanks because I think it's neat.

E: it's not out in Japan until January 24th.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Yeah, I always prefer the interpretation of the poems where they're just elaborations of the behaviors of ordinary cats who vastly overestimate their own importance, because they're cats — Macavity isn't actually wanted by Scotland Yard, he's just a cat in whose house things keep getting pushed off shelves even when he can't be proved to have done it.

For the musical and movie, of course, this is all elevated to the level of high fantasy.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

HopperUK posted:

I like train cat because he very obviously thinks he runs the train and is terribly important and it's lovely.
Are you implying that he's not? :argh:

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1mKButlxxk

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

It’s hard for me to put up with these reviewers saying Judy Dench’s hand was the vfx issue. Literally all the characters in the film have fur that blends around the wrist back into their human hands and fingers. It’s like people who review films for a living are blind.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

It's not that the hands were too human and had to be fixed, it's that in a few specific shots Judy Dench had her original hands including wedding ring and they'd either shipped the wrong version or the work came in too late for the original release. Either way it's not that someone sat down Sonic style and said "we're gonna fix Cats, redesign starts here" it's just that things were so chaotic that it got missed as the film went out the door.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Since non of it was mocapped they must have been retouching the footage right up to release day so it's not surprising stuff got missed, especially with the VFX company being a latecomer to the process.

Also it's quite clearly her human hand with wedding ring that doesn't appear in other scenes so it was most likely an error. Or a deliberate attempt to seem even weirder :tinfoil:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

caligulamprey posted:

Are you implying that he's not? :argh:

I would never impugn the importance of the railway cat, the cat of the railway train.

That song is way too loving catchy.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The only actress who remained hot despite the digital makeover was Naoimh Morgan, who played Rumpleteezer. Perhaps it's because she's Irish.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The only actress who remained hot despite the digital makeover was Naoimh Morgan, who played Rumpleteezer. Perhaps it's because she's Irish.

Thank you for updating us on what your penis thought of CATS (2019)

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

it's really interesting some of the decisions they made when adapting the musical, especially in terms of what the characters look like.

the main cat (victoria) is apparently "victoria the white cat" in the poems and in the musical. in the movie I don't believe they ever called her "the white cat" but did make the cat porcelain white in face and fur. here's what she looks like outside of the fur:

she was born in nairobi, kenya to an english father and kenyan mother.

a lot of other cats have fur (and faces) that match their skintone well, but for victoria they decided the "white cat" part was incredibly important and made her fur super white, but also her face. every other cat (including idris elba) has roughly their original skintone as their face and fur, but for the main character they basically put her in whiteface (and whitefur) :thunk:

here's a picture of the character she plays in the movie, under pretty neutral white light:

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Dec 29, 2019

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Hm, I guess there is no reason why the character called Victoria the White Cat, portrayed in every single version of the musical as having white fur and white make up, would be shown as a white cat in the movie other than racism. After all there are no black or brown cats in the movie portrayed by black actors, not a single one.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
what the gently caress is whiteface

i dont know of another movie that was as boring and bad as this one that i couldnt stop thinking about after watching it. maybe la la land. its so bad and pointless and unrewarding to watch yet i keep reviewing it in my head

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

There's something about the obvious eroticism in the cat movements that combines with a lack of other signs like kissing, and the fact that the cats all lack actual sexual characteristics, that just sits in my brain. I'm thinking of the stage show and how in it, Rum Tum Tugger will actually kiss the lady cats on the cheek, and be like more overt about the obvious sexual implications, how he's going to look like a dude in a leotard, etc. That is much less disturbing than watching them loving nuzzle each other in this movie. In the play, it's campy fun, in here it's like watching aliens have sex.

E: Or actually, does anyone listen to the FPlus? Because the feeling I get is exactly the one I get whenever they read some horrible insane fetish website that you want to believe no one could possibly find hot. It's like the phrase "cuddle party" made into a movie.

What I'm saying it, is Tom Hooper some new breed of even more awful furry?

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Dec 29, 2019

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Shrecknet posted:

Thank you for updating us on what your penis thought of CATS (2019)
If anything I'm impressed it took us 15 pages to get to this point.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...

Hat Thoughts posted:

obviously the inconsistency of the cg makes that 'wonder' maybe more like 'bafflement' or disorientation but the movie leans into that with its canted angles & as mentioned, the sort of weird purgatorial undertones of this dimly-lit totally uninhabited space, which, with the Jenny-Any-Dots performance creates this instant sort of aesthetic sensibility that immediately has u wondering like...what would a 'dog' look like here ? U watch the cat tap dance and its conceptually and literally baffling, but genuinely surprising & impressive, if ur open to it anyways
i believe

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Timby posted:

Tom Hooper is the guy who thought the SPLAT in Les Mis was a good idea, so gently caress him anyway.
he was utterly correct

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Exactly my reaction. I found myself pressed hard against the back of my seat, shouting "What the gently caress?!" accusingly at the screen when Macavity appears without his jacket. It wasn't just his sudden nudity, it's all of their sudden nudity when it happens.

This movie IS a cat. It doesn't give a gently caress how movies work, it's going to jump up on the screen, push all of the other poo poo off and roll around on it for 2 hours.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

TremorX posted:

Exactly my reaction. I found myself pressed hard against the back of my seat, shouting "What the gently caress?!" accusingly at the screen when Macavity appears without his jacket. It wasn't just his sudden nudity, it's all of their sudden nudity when it happens.

This movie IS a cat. It doesn't give a gently caress how movies work, it's going to jump up on the screen, push all of the other poo poo off and roll around on it for 2 hours.

Again, why is Idris Elba the only cat with abs. He's all of a sudden there, naked, and you can see his abs through his fur. That's deliberate. He's supposed to look naked.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I went to look for the original magic cat song on youtube and in the musical, he was just some cat who turned up to do some magic tricks and exits stage left. That they added a subplot of him lacking confidence in his magic and required Victoria's horniness for him (I refuse to believe these sexless yet horny yet unsexy cats can develop feelings for each other within an hour) to magic judi dench cat back is amazing. Also at the end they look at each other affectionately and it's implicit they are gonna gently caress asexually and then judi dench cat has a moment with Victoria so yes, those cats are gonna unsexily have a threesome

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

It’s great because the resolution for the magic cat (Magical Mister Mistofoles) was equivalent to asking Chris Angel to defeat Voldemort.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

the sexuality in CATS is garbled, shifted 27° so it, like the VFX, doesn't track and leaves you feeling unbalanced.

everything in this movie is off, wrong, unsettling. this movie is waking up in the middle of the night with a cat on your chest stealing your breath. it's trying to gently caress while the cat stares at you. it's stepping into your shoe in the morning and finding a dead mouse in there. its cat litter all over the carpet. it's a destroyed couch. it's hearing the pre-vomit coughing noise when you're too far away to intervene.

it's incomprehensible to mere humans and i think i love it.

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Dec 29, 2019

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

i am so proud of idris elba, and dame judi, and gandalf, and all the other genuinely talented and beautiful people involved who knew how this was going to turn out and still gave it their all

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I saw this with my folks today and thought it was okay. The character design is creepy, it’s confusingly shot, and the music isn’t very good, but within those constraints it’s generally fine and not too boring.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Sleeveless posted:

Why did you post a tweet from some rando with like 200 followers instead of just posting a link to the article itself?

Variety couldn’t even grace us with an embedded tweet of their own coverage 😿😿

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

TremorX posted:

There is a part in Inside Out where they show the inner workings of a cat brain and it’s just cats randomly walking over keyboards and I feel like a lot of this movie is like that.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

I also gotta say I appreciated turning Macavity from like a crime cat into some sort of feline Satan. It was another weird choice that I actually really liked.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Have any cats reviewed the movie? I mean, it’s not Jellicle songs for people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

General Dog posted:

Have any cats reviewed the movie? I mean, it’s not Jellicle songs for people.

i just asked my cat, she said to mind your own business fucker