Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

jojoinnit posted:

The only thing wrong with this is who the hell didn't love Airheads???

No poo poo. That movie was awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/ilovecrime/status/1210463251466608640

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/dril_gpt2/status/1211044295647604738?s=21

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/existentialcoms/status/1211050057572614144

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Proteus Jones posted:

No poo poo. That movie was awesome.

And people liked 50 first dates? Jesus

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

JoelJoel posted:

And people liked 50 first dates? Jesus

I remember it being interesting and having its moments, but being really horrible when you start thinking about it. Which is better than most Sandler.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Airheads wasn't really an "Adam Sandler Movie" to be fair. It was a Brendan Fraser movie Adam Sandler appeared in. Shouldn't count anyway counterpoint:

and

stringless has a new favorite as of 02:08 on Dec 29, 2019

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Little Nicky was worth it for the parts where Rodney Dangerfield sodomized Hitler.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
My secret shame is I liked Little Nicky. Granted, I was literally a child

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Milo and POTUS posted:

My secret shame is I liked Little Nicky. Granted, I was literally a child

It has Rodney Dangerfield and Jon Lovitz and a talking dog and Adam Sandler gets hit in the face with a shovel, that's worth watching.

I will not re-watch it because I know I'm gonna see something seriously problematic though and I don't need that guilt.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

loving NEVER rewatch something you originally liked when you were like 9-15. Just assume it's all terrible and rapey.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

JoelJoel posted:

loving NEVER rewatch something you originally liked when you were like 9-15. Just assume it's all terrible and rapey.
Unless it's dragonball (orig & z)

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Aliens still owns bones.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

bowmore posted:

Master Roshi was terrible to start out with in DB and time has only made it worse anyway here's a tweet

https://twitter.com/SparrowLucero/status/1191116910638690305?s=19

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

JoelJoel posted:

Ghostbusters is a movie about three libertarian geniuses showing EPA who's boss and one of them harasses Ellen Ripley until she loves him while Rick Moranis is forced to watch. Also Winston Zedimore is there. The second one is like the first one, only most people don't like it as much and now there's two dudes trying to harass Ripley, and one of them is A Foreign, meaning he is obviously inferior.

Beetlejuice is about an evil ghost-demon trying to force himself on a child, and this was so well-received the ghost-demon and the child had a fun children's cartoon together.

Those were my two favorite film franchises and I still love them, including the cartoon, but I can't bring myself to watch them because holy gently caress what were they thinkiiiiing.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Killingyouguy! posted:

Master Roshi was terrible to start out with in DB and time has only made it worse

that’s about 0.5% of the series but yes roshi has always been problematic

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Screaming Idiot posted:

Ghostbusters is a movie about three libertarian geniuses showing EPA who's boss and one of them harasses Ellen Ripley until she loves him while Rick Moranis is forced to watch. Also Winston Zedimore is there. The second one is like the first one, only most people don't like it as much and now there's two dudes trying to harass Ripley, and one of them is A Foreign, meaning he is obviously inferior.

Beetlejuice is about an evil ghost-demon trying to force himself on a child, and this was so well-received the ghost-demon and the child had a fun children's cartoon together.

Those were my two favorite film franchises and I still love them, including the cartoon, but I can't bring myself to watch them because holy gently caress what were they thinkiiiiing.

At least in Beetlejuice, the titular ghost with the most is depicted as a reprehensible scumbag. Even with the presence of Jeffery Jones, it still holds up pretty well.

No one has ever been able to explain the cartoon, tho

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Screaming Idiot posted:

I just watched bladerunner for the first time this year, and deckard totally rapes that replicant. He holds her down while she's screaming no, and it's viewed at the time as a love scene??

Hell even this year a friend was describing all the rape in Superbad, Jonahs plan is literally to get Emma drunk enough that he'll get to be the mistake that fucks her.

bowmore posted:

that’s about 0.5% of the series but yes roshi has always been problematic

Isn't the first dragonball wish for a pair of used panties that fall on the wishers face?

Or uh this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIo-DysAq4c

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Olaf The Stout posted:

Hell even this year a friend was describing all the rape in Superbad, Jonahs plan is literally to get Emma drunk enough that he'll get to be the mistake that fucks her.

Recently rewatched Superbad and was honestly shocked that was the plot. I remembered Jonah wanted to hook up with Emma and was buying alcohol for her party, but he literally TELLS HER his plan was to get her super drunk so she’d gently caress him, because he knew she’d never hook up with him otherwise. Did not age well.

On the other hand, Cera has his crush literally throwing herself at him, and he knows not to do anything because she is too drunk. Superbad is a land of contrasts?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bowmore posted:

Man I like the original Dragonball but it has multiple plots involving molesting a teenage girl.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

https://twitter.com/bencjenkins/status/1211147398271029254

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Crowetron posted:

At least in Beetlejuice, the titular ghost with the most is depicted as a reprehensible scumbag. Even with the presence of Jeffery Jones, it still holds up pretty well.

No one has ever been able to explain the cartoon, tho

There's even one episode where Lydia travels into Beetlejuice's (Betelgeuse's?) subconscious and she finds a literal love shrine to her. Like, the cartoon has them be "friends," but it's still a portly grown undead creep hanging around a teenage girl. How the hell did that get greenlit?

I'd be down for a reboot with BJ as the affable villain, though. Especially with the original voice cast. That show's animation style was perfect.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Never rewatch Dragonball. Just remember it fondly. Gotta trust me on this.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Screaming Idiot posted:

There's even one episode where Lydia travels into Beetlejuice's (Betelgeuse's?) subconscious

The character in the film is named Betelgeuse but the character in the cartoon is named Beetlejuice. Both the movie and the cartoon themselves are named Beetlejuice though. The movie even draws attention to the spelling discrepancy when Adam mispronounces Betelgeuse's name after reading it on his business card.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Tiggum posted:

The character in the film is named Betelgeuse but the character in the cartoon is named Beetlejuice. Both the movie and the cartoon themselves are named Beetlejuice though. The movie even draws attention to the spelling discrepancy when Adam mispronounces Betelgeuse's name after reading it on his business card.

Yes, I am absolutely aware, which is why I typed both. I was also trying to draw out a Beetlejuice joke by typing it twice and having someone reply with "BEETLEJUICE!" and then posting a picture or gif of him.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Screaming Idiot posted:

"BEETLEJUICE!"

HASTUR!

wait poo poo

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

JoelJoel posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ7mJFNkLAU

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Dragonball Roshi is a creep. It never comes up with Z if I can recall, unless they edited it out for American tv.

Then in Super he makes up for lost time by chasing around that woman at Tien’s dojo good lord.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Dr Christmas posted:

Dragonball Roshi is a creep. It never comes up with Z if I can recall, unless they edited it out for American tv.

Then in Super he makes up for lost time by chasing around that woman at Tien’s dojo good lord.

he's absolutely still a womaniser in DBZ but they toned it down a lot, probably, comparatively

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

They toned it down a lot a lot in DBZ. In the original Dragonball iirc he has 12 year-old Bulma flash him before he agrees to train Goku.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

It's been so long since I watched that show. All I remember is some guy came to earth from space or something. And some farmer tried to shot him with a rifle and he caught the bullet mid air and then threw it back at him. Snapping his rifle in two and puncturing the radiator of the farmers car/tractor.

And my thought at the time was "This is some sensitized kiddy anime. Not the grim dark stuff I was looking for" I thought he was going to explode that farmer with a meteor punch but I got some heavy 80s Saturday cartoon vibes from it.

I had to google Roshi. You mean to tell me that this guy might be a creep?

Also how did this scrawny fucker train that little monkey boy that could explode planets with eye beams or whatever?

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Katt posted:

It's been so long since I watched that show. All I remember is some guy came to earth from space or something. And some farmer tried to shot him with a rifle and he caught the bullet mid air and then threw it back at him. Snapping his rifle in two and puncturing the radiator of the farmers car/tractor.

And my thought at the time was "This is some sensitized kiddy anime. Not the grim dark stuff I was looking for" I thought he was going to explode that farmer with a meteor punch but I got some heavy 80s Saturday cartoon vibes from it.

I had to google Roshi. You mean to tell me that this guy might be a creep?

Also how did this scrawny fucker train that little monkey boy that could explode planets with eye beams or whatever?

He taught Goku how to shoot beams

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Olaf The Stout posted:

I just watched bladerunner for the first time this year, and deckard totally rapes that replicant. He holds her down while she's screaming no, and it's viewed at the time as a love scene??

Bold part didn't happen, but yeah, it's pretty bad. I've seen an interview with the director where they confirm it was intentional. They started out trying to film a normal love scene but the chemistry wasn't there. They took a step back and thought about what to do and realized it worked better with the point of the movie if Deckard didn't really treat her as human.

I'm sure some people view it as a love scene for the same reason there are people who see movies like Full Metal Jacket and think "woah, badass": because they're morons.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

MizPiz posted:

He taught Goku how to shoot beams

Didn't he live in some hut on a beach or something? How is that old fucker not ruler of the planet?

No I'm not going to watch the show. I formed my view on the show based on 20 years of DBZ memes.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Katt posted:

Didn't he live in some hut on a beach or something? How is that old fucker not ruler of the planet?

No I'm not going to watch the show. I formed my view on the show based on 20 years of DBZ memes.

Because a blue dog is already the ruler

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Bold part didn't happen, but yeah, it's pretty bad. I've seen an interview with the director where they confirm it was intentional. They started out trying to film a normal love scene but the chemistry wasn't there. They took a step back and thought about what to do and realized it worked better with the point of the movie if Deckard didn't really treat her as human.

I'm sure some people view it as a love scene for the same reason there are people who see movies like Full Metal Jacket and think "woah, badass": because they're morons.

It also adds to the read that Roy Batty is the tragic hero and Deckard is the villain.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
It's a good tweet and a good thread, but it's also incredibly, thoroughly depressing.

https://twitter.com/chadloder/status/1211004325155102720

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Crowetron posted:

It also adds to the read that Roy Batty is the tragic hero and Deckard is the villain.

I prefer the read that Blade Runner is really quite a terrible movie narratively and is saved because that production design is just so loving next-level. I literally put on Blade Runner to put me to sleep.

Screaming Idiot posted:

It's a good tweet and a good thread, but it's also incredibly, thoroughly depressing.

https://twitter.com/chadloder/status/1211004325155102720

Human society truly isn't worth saving

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

mind the walrus posted:

Human society truly isn't worth saving

It is, we just need to remove, like, one percent of it. Just a little off the top. Nothing drastic, just a little change.

Through murder.