Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

2 levels down in Plutonia UV, I don't know if I'll have the patience to finish 28 more. The invisible bridge killed my motivation for today so I think I'm going to try a little Hexen.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Dec 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

al-azad posted:

According to Doomwiki there are more lights in BFG edition, characters don't cast shadows from the flashlight, face textures are higher res which explains why I can actually see pores and poo poo, and texture compression is better.

But looking at it the most noticeable improvement is that by increasing the number/size of lights you can really notice the specular maps. It improves on that vanilla Doom 3 feeling where everything kind of has uniform plasticy finish. It's most noticeable in the intro when the ship lands, the way it comes into the light in the BFG edition is really impressive and reflective materials with a higher specular catch light in a more realistic way than more matte materials. It's also noticeable on the marine armor where in the BFG version the shoulders are glossier than the chest piece.

e: lol looking at graphics mods for vanilla Doom 3 it seems everyone agreed "more specular is better" but then cranked it up to 11. Looking at sikkmod everything is wet and shiny like a mid-aughts Unreal game.

I wonder if the BFG Edition was patched then because I swear there was a “flashlight shadows” toggle in the graphics options when I played it last month. Can’t remember for certain though.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I wonder if the BFG Edition was patched then because I swear there was a “flashlight shadows” toggle in the graphics options when I played it last month. Can’t remember for certain though.

There is a toggle in the options, yes. I saw it yesterday.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Convex posted:

sounds like a Clive Barker novel :stonk:
archviles to some

cyberdemons to others

explorers in the farthest reaches of the illusiopit

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

chaosapiant posted:

I think, and I could be wrong, but when Doom 3 BFG was first released, there was a bug so a lot of the dynamic shadowing didn't work. I didn't play it at release so i'm going by memory of a post of hearsay and could be completely off base. I've never noticed a difference myself.

It only ever received one patch, and AFAIK, only on PC, and that was to fix some issues decals were having on ROE after using the hellstone and to add the option of flashlight shadows (which actually changes the shadow quality option to match the Ultra setting on the original Doom3 which thus added full shadows to most projectiles as well). Dynamic lighting always worked since launch. It'd be pretty drat obvious if it didn't, the level lighting is intensely dependent on it.

al-azad posted:

Is there a comparison of someone digging around the files because there's straight up rim lighting on models that don't exist in the original version.

Well we have the source code, and we haven't found anything new in its capabilities that I know of (though the light generation is now multithreaded). There is however a change in texture quality, they repacked all the textures with a new compression method, probably for the benefit of the PS3. This is the first I've heard of any alleged rim lighting.

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Dec 27, 2019

al-azad
May 28, 2009

What I thought was rim lighting was just the increased lighting doing their thing plus the specular maps actually being noticeable. I never played non-vanilla Doom 3 but looking at BFG edition and all the graphics mods over the years it's plain and simple that the texture artists knew what they were doing but whoever was in charge of overall lighting kind of ruined it. It's funny always hearing people preferred original Doom 3 for its stark black look but BFG edition is actually a pretty game.

Like I remember Doom 3, which I finished just last year, being really cold and gray but going through videos of sikkmod and BFG there's a lot more colors and beautiful lights on display than vanilla.

e: Like in the pinky intro cutscene there's a grate on the ground with orange lighting emitting from it but it's literally imperceptible in vanilla Doom 3. In BFG it lights the underbelly of the pinky in this orange glow and I'm just shouting that someone in 2004 was like "DARKER! MORE DARK!"

al-azad fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Dec 28, 2019

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Just woke up from a dream in which my brain cobbled together, no word of a lie, an entire late 90's/early 2000's single player FPS campaign from start to finish. :psyduck:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Just woke up from a dream in which my brain cobbled together, no word of a lie, an entire late 90's/early 2000's single player FPS campaign from start to finish. :psyduck:

Was it any good, or was it 32 levels of wow.wad?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I had a dream too it' No One Lives Forever 3, a game set in the 80s where Cate and Isako who are now living together come out of retirement to kick more rear end idk it's a 451 game.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

catlord posted:

Was it any good, or was it 32 levels of wow.wad?

It was cool as gently caress, my brain luckily did not play me like a fool and make me imagine 8 hours of :gonk:

al-azad posted:

I had a dream too it' No One Lives Forever 3, a game set in the 80s where Cate and Isako who are now living together come out of retirement to kick more rear end idk it's a 451 game.

This would be Game of the Generation and piss off all the chuds so basically perfection.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away

al-azad posted:

what in the gently caress, I had this dream last night

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

al-azad posted:

I would pay actual money for this game. Probably a fair amount of it as well.

Also, you might want to book a session or five with a good therapist.

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe
Hey does anyone know what i need to do to be able to play the quake christmas jam 2019 with the quake 1.5 mod?

Edit: NVM i figured it out

2nd edit: Okay by figured it out i mean i managed to get the game started with both the map pack and the mod but the hud is transparent and i have no gun models.

Kharn_The_Betrayer fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Dec 28, 2019

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Kharn_The_Betrayer posted:

Hey does anyone know what i need to do to be able to play the quake christmas jam 2019 with the quake 1.5 mod?

Edit: NVM i figured it out

2nd edit: Okay by figured it out i mean i managed to get the game started with both the map pack and the mod but the hud is transparent and i have no gun models.
I don't think Quake mods really "stack" like Doom ones do. Xmas Jam is built on top of a built-in version of Arcane Dimensions.

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

The Kins posted:

I don't think Quake mods really "stack" like Doom ones do. Xmas Jam is built on top of a built-in version of Arcane Dimensions.

ah ok well then i guess I'll just play it as is then thanks

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah from what I've read at the time the trailer was produced, what they showed was essentially all they had. There were no complete levels that those gameplay clips were smaller segments of. Those WERE the entire "levels" as they existed.

The thing about DNF is with the whole retro FPS comeback if they'd just released a straight "Duke Nukem 3D: 2" on the Build engine it probably would have gotten a way better reception than DNF did. The big problem with DNF (aside from all the creepy stuff) is that it was chasing the trends of the last 15 or so years of FPS design - trends which people had already begun to turn against when the game actually came out.

I dig the ideas, though they did release a new Duke episode a few years ago, with the original mappers, that's reasonably close to what you're asking for there. And DNF was way before the retro FPS trend, no reason we can't have both, and more. In a perfect world we'd have a competent pipeline of games coming out for some of these fine franchises.

And an 80s NOLF would be great. I'd dig a sleek Miami Vice vibe.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

chaosapiant posted:

Has there been any screenshots or news of Doom 64 on PC? I'm hoping it's gonna be a good port that support ultrawide resolutions and higher framerates. Thanks to sourceports I can get all the build engine, doom, and Quake engine games to run in ultrawide with uncapped framerates and it'll bug me to have a game in the series that doesn't.
There was a livestream by Bethesda's French community team relatively recently. While it doesn't answer the ultra-wide question, it's clearly running at a higher framerate than the original N64 game's ~30fps or so.

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.

Turin Turambar posted:

IMO, there isn't still a GOOD FPS roguelite. Something that as FPS is as solid as Doom or Quake and as varied and extensive in the roguelite part as Dead Cells or Enter the Gungeon.

When someone gets the formula right, they will make millions. But it isn't a project to be taken for a small dev company that are just 2-3 guys, it will need something closer to a premium indie dev in size.

I've been looking for the holy grail in this genre forever. Paranautical Activity is really fun and probably the one I've sunk the most hours into. The soundtrack is really good. Unloved is pretty good and is Doom inspired (based on a wad) but it's kind of hard to find people playing online. Immortal Redneck is too grindy for me, has total run-killing cursed scrolls and gets repetitive but it's fun. I want to like Strafe but for some reason I can't get into it. The music is kind of annoying after like the third run. Ziggurat does that dumb thing where you can't strafe and run which is annoying. I even tried Killing Room which is garbage and Rogue Shooter which is basically Wolf 3D.

I just got Void Bastards and so far I'm really enjoying it. The gunplay feels... off to me for some reason but the game itself is solid.

At this point I think I'd just be happier with the Dusk SDK being released and having multiplayer endless mode with more maps that utilize powerups more often.
E: I want House of Pain from Marathon Infinity in Dusk. Maybe I'll start up Trenchbroom and get a head start incase SOON is actually soon...

caleb fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Dec 28, 2019

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
if i had the power i would put a ban on procedually generated roguelike *anything* for the next year.

there are enough. we don't need anymore. please. my crops are dying

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Randomly generated maps are bad and always will be bad to explore. There's no fun in wandering around a space which has no meaning or reason, the exception being worlds than you can directly manipulate so you can create meaning out of them like Minecraft.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008

SCheeseman posted:

Randomly generated maps are bad and always will be bad to explore. There's no fun in wandering around a space which has no meaning or reason, the exception being worlds than you can directly manipulate so you can create meaning out of them like Minecraft.

so procedural red faction implemented in Minecraft, then

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The thing with roguelikes is that they are inherently designed around balancing risk/reward in the face of imperfect information. Invisible Inc is still one of the best because the obstacles cannot be permanently dealt with so your tools exist to make you faster and more efficient. An FPS is entirely about permanent solutions and inhibiting the player by way of a "food clock" or random drops is the antithesis of an arcadey FPS' drama.

If I were tackling an FPS roguelike it would be fixed locations but the obstacles change. Like imagine Die Hard where the plaza is always the same but the terrorists start with different weapons, the hostages could be on any floor, maybe the FBI storm the front instead of the roof, bomb locations aren't fixed, hacking time could vary, and so on. I guess a video game comparison would be Rare's games where the number of objectives change based on difficulty but crank up the variety even further.

Tim Thomas posted:

so procedural red faction implemented in Minecraft, then

Yes, please.

https://twitter.com/tuxedolabs/status/1178998032022560768

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

al-azad posted:

If I were tackling an FPS roguelike it would be fixed locations but the obstacles change. Like imagine Die Hard where the plaza is always the same but the terrorists start with different weapons, the hostages could be on any floor, maybe the FBI storm the front instead of the roof, bomb locations aren't fixed, hacking time could vary, and so on. I guess a video game comparison would be Rare's games where the number of objectives change based on difficulty but crank up the variety even further.

Yeah this is the approach that Left 4 Dead and Payday take. The maps are mostly static but stuff is shuffled around so you can't just memorize where all the important stuff is.

The key thing about random maps is that what you get are maps that are unpredictable, but also generally uninteresting. So your gameplay can't depend on the exploration itself being inherently rewarding and this is where a lot of roguelike/lite games gently caress up. They see it as a replacement for hand-crafted levels when it is not - it's what you use when the levels themselves aren't supposed to matter.

Like, to stick to FPSes, a Doom random level generator would basically only be useful for slaughter maps. It would suck for smaller scale challenges because Doom's enemies require careful placement by designers in order to take advantage of their strengths and weaknesses (like chaingunners in short, tight hallways are not a huge threat because you can just stunlock whoever is in front and they can't shoot past each other, but are deadly in big open arenas, while the opposite is true for pinkies where you need the open space to kite them) and if you tried to teach an algorithm how to do this, you're like 90% of the way to just building your levels by hand anyway. A lot of procedural games try to do this and all that ends up happening is you very quickly learn to recognize the puzzle pieces and it loses the whole aspect of "you can't predict where enemies are" which is the entire point of doing that.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah this is the approach that Left 4 Dead and Payday take. The maps are mostly static but stuff is shuffled around so you can't just memorize where all the important stuff is.

The key thing about random maps is that what you get are maps that are unpredictable, but also generally uninteresting. So your gameplay can't depend on the exploration itself being inherently rewarding and this is where a lot of roguelike/lite games gently caress up. They see it as a replacement for hand-crafted levels when it is not - it's what you use when the levels themselves aren't supposed to matter.

Like, to stick to FPSes, a Doom random level generator would basically only be useful for slaughter maps. It would suck for smaller scale challenges because Doom's enemies require careful placement by designers in order to take advantage of their strengths and weaknesses (like chaingunners in short, tight hallways are not a huge threat because you can just stunlock whoever is in front and they can't shoot past each other, but are deadly in big open arenas, while the opposite is true for pinkies where you need the open space to kite them) and if you tried to teach an algorithm how to do this, you're like 90% of the way to just building your levels by hand anyway. A lot of procedural games try to do this and all that ends up happening is you very quickly learn to recognize the puzzle pieces and it loses the whole aspect of "you can't predict where enemies are" which is the entire point of doing that.
Eh, OBLIGE exists and isn’t half bad! Like it isn’t a skilsaw pack but I’ve played OBLIGE levels that are better than some base doom levels.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I've had a decent amount of fun with DoomRLA, Oblige and ObAddon.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Speaking of set levels but dynamic/rearranged items, doesn’t one of the resident evils have a mod that intelligently rearranges weapons, ammo, and items so you can’t memorize where everything is?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
remake 1 pc does yeah

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Speaking of set levels but dynamic/rearranged items, doesn’t one of the resident evils have a mod that intelligently rearranges weapons, ammo, and items so you can’t memorize where everything is?

site posted:

remake 1 pc does yeah
I believe there's been efforts for an RE2 (non-remake) randomizer as well, but I dunno if that's been publicly released or not.

Randomizers are cool and good. Check out the Zelda 3 and Zelda 64 randomizer threads in this very subforum for more fun!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The Kins posted:

I believe there's been efforts for an RE2 (non-remake) randomizer as well, but I dunno if that's been publicly released or not.

Randomizers are cool and good. Check out the Zelda 3 and Zelda 64 randomizer threads in this very subforum for more fun!

I prefer the extensive Zelda 2 randomizer. You can play as Error!

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lol earlier in the year Facebook did one of those 'you posted x years ago' reminders for me and I had to screencap it for posterity

the pain was real

fake edit: Also the Game Over (or maybe the Quit) screen for 1993's proto-FPS Isle of the Dead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0riRRRueYY

:eyepop:

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
paying $120 for the DNF CE on day one and going home and immediately playing all of it that day sent me into a depressive spiral

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I too got the Balls of Steel edition. And I enjoyed it highly. Those poker chips and dice are fine doodads, and I use the cards as bookmarks.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

It was $120?! The gently caress was I thinking?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I paid a hundo AUD for the lovely PS3 version and all I got to show for it was Duke's head on a keyring that said like four things for six months until the cheap battery drained itself

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
The entire Rainbow Six franchise also does randomized enemy positions, and a small handful of the maps for the old ones had random bomb and objective placement. It's always been a cool thing for playing those games in coop without actually going through the whole campaign.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
i'm pretty sure i was going to get the fancy edition of DNF but for some reason wound up getting just the game. my brother eventually grabbed one once it was on clearance and it seems nice enough for that kind of "here's some expensive trinkets" thing. definitely one of the nicer of that kind of gubbins, just a shame it wasn't tied to a better game

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.

kirbysuperstar posted:

I paid a hundo AUD for the lovely PS3 version and all I got to show for it was Duke's head on a keyring that said like four things for six months until the cheap battery drained itself

christ at least your duke did something. i got a lovely ''''''''''''''''''''''''bust''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' of duke that looked like it was just slightly above papier mache and fell apart within days.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I :filez:'d DNF and I still feel like I got ripped off.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Any of you played the Halloween Jam 2 recently? There's a Quad Damage in Candles of the Damned I can't figure out how to reach and it's driving me nuts!

And I just booted up the start for this year's Christmas Jam and it's simply magnificent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

anatomi posted:

Any of you played the Halloween Jam 2 recently? There's a Quad Damage in Candles of the Damned I can't figure out how to reach and it's driving me nuts!

And I just booted up the start for this year's Christmas Jam and it's simply magnificent.

The same way you get the quad in the map it's a remix of.