Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Ketchup on hot dogs isn’t just ok- it tastes good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T69HDek6a3k&t=90s :(

One day, you and I will storm the gates and give those fascist fucks at the National Hot Dog and Sausage Council what for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Ketchup is also good on eggs

:magical:

The gently caress is wrong with u

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

All burgers can be dipped in ketchup, especially if you mix in hot sauce.
Burgers shouldn't be dipped, that's madness. Put the ketchup on the burger.

Edit: ketchup is fine on trash-grade/buffet scrambled eggs, but if any care went into them at all that's a sin.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

ketchup on eggs tastes like a mouthful of old pennies

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Cyberpunk was cool in the 80's but futurism has moved on, it's all about scanned and endlessly replicated human souls running on machines in space battling on the rings of Saturn in a quantum war now. No one gives a poo poo about which corporation or nation is gonna win.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Tiggum posted:

I liked that show.

But did you want it? Were you really sitting around waiting for that itch to get scratched?

Trapick posted:

Burgers shouldn't be dipped, that's madness. Put the ketchup on the burger.

Edit: ketchup is fine on trash-grade/buffet scrambled eggs, but if any care went into them at all that's a sin.

Depends on the burger. There's definitely a culture where the burger is 2x bigger than any human jaw and that poo poo is just dumb af. Same with burgers that insist on having a brioche bun 2x the size of Marie Antoinette's wig that still somehow isn't able to soak up the juice when you squeeze it all together.

------

Fries dipped in a milkshake is god-tier dipping sauce and gently caress anyone who says otherwise.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

mind the walrus posted:

Fries dipped in a milkshake is god-tier dipping sauce and gently caress anyone who says otherwise.

This but soft serve. Also, pineapple, fried egg and beetroot all belong in burgers. :australia:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

doverhog posted:

Cyberpunk was cool in the 80's but futurism has moved on, it's all about scanned and endlessly replicated human souls running on machines in space battling on the rings of Saturn in a quantum war now. No one gives a poo poo about which corporation or nation is gonna win.

Cyberpunk quit being cool because a depressing amount of it just kind of happened. Incessant bombardment by adverts everywhere you go for poo poo you don't want or need, computers in our pockets, hackers committing high level espionage, face recognition scanners in public places that have everybody in their database, corporations so powerful they can boss entire countries around. There are people with cybernetic limbs right loving now.

We're in cyberpunk. Right now. Right at this moment.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Even the cool virtual reality internet happened, but it's just Second Life and it turns out it's poo poo.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Cyberpunk quit being cool because a depressing amount of it just kind of happened. Incessant bombardment by adverts everywhere you go for poo poo you don't want or need, computers in our pockets, hackers committing high level espionage, face recognition scanners in public places that have everybody in their database, corporations so powerful they can boss entire countries around. There are people with cybernetic limbs right loving now.

See you on the rings of Saturn bitch.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Still don't have hover boards though.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Whitlam posted:

This but soft serve. Also, pineapple, fried egg and beetroot all belong in burgers. :australia:

One of the few places where Australia has made the right call imo

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yeah like the production values on that Cyperpunk 2077 game are impressive, but functionally that poo poo isn't really speculative fiction as much as it's an exaggeration of the world we already live in.

It depresses the gently caress out of me that the most plausible future world I've read in a sci-fi novel in my lifetime were The Culture books, which really only win by default because no other major author I know of wants to move past 20th Century conventions.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

doverhog posted:

The 80s were long enough ago now that recreating their aesthetic leads to the same kind of retrofuturism that made Fallout good in the 90s.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

This is one reason why Pattern Recognition is probably my favorite William Gibson book; it's a lot of the cyberpunk stuff he did before, but set in modern day (well, 2002) reality with almost no science fiction elements whatsoever.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

We're living in the cyberpunk future, but not the cool version with the rad neon lights and awesome aesthetic. We're living in the shittiest possible version of it.

Ketchup and mustard are both terrible, but honey mustard is very good.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I guess I should mention what books I was talking about W/R/T copied souls. It's the trilogy by Hannu Rajaniemi: The Quantum Thief, The Fractal Prince, The Causal Angel.

Cool look into what a future where both bodies and souls are disposable and infinitely copyable (most of the time) might look like.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

We're in a weird place with sci-fi because there's a sort of resistance to really imagining the future. Like, nobody wants to really think about how bad stuff could get with climate change.But on the flipside, nobody really wants to think about how much of our society would have to change for the future to be better. Like, back in the 50s white sci-fi authors could imagine the future as just what they had but with more cool gadgets and in space. But nowadays we know this can't go on. Nobody could seriously argue that most Americans are going to be living like how we are now in 100 years. So to come up with a positive vision for the future, you have to be able to articulate a truly different vision for society. And that's something that has been beaten out of people. Our modern society is predicated on the idea that there are no other options.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Gripweed posted:

We're in a weird place with sci-fi because there's a sort of resistance to really imagining the future. Like, nobody wants to really think about how bad stuff could get with climate change.But on the flipside, nobody really wants to think about how much of our society would have to change for the future to be better. Like, back in the 50s white sci-fi authors could imagine the future as just what they had but with more cool gadgets and in space. But nowadays we know this can't go on. Nobody could seriously argue that most Americans are going to be living like how we are now in 100 years. So to come up with a positive vision for the future, you have to be able to articulate a truly different vision for society. And that's something that has been beaten out of people. Our modern society is predicated on the idea that there are no other options.

I think there's other things going on on that vein. One thing people kept saying was that we'd be exploring the stars aaaaaany day now. Then Einstein had to go and poo poo on the whole thing by pointing out that no you actually can't go faster than light and in fact time and space do all kinds of fucky things if you try to. There were people trying to say that it was nonsense but unfortunately we're pretty drat certain that Einstein was right about that one which really throws a wrench in the works when it comes to faster than light travel and communications. There are theoretical things that can get around that rule in weird ways but as it stands, well, yeah. It also turned out to be way more difficult to get poo poo into space in the first place than anybody imagined. Meanwhile space stations get kind of leaky because the bacteria that live on and in us don't like being restricted to just us, crawl off all over the place, and start eating holes in things. Plants don't grow all that well in space and it turns out creating entire ecosystems for life support is way more difficult than we thought. We're still figuring that poo poo out it turns out and nature just doesn't work the way we thought it did in a lot of ways. We knew space travel would be complicated but it turns out it's like multiple orders of magnitude more complicated than we anticipated.

Of course, you know, people gonna people so we're figuring that poo poo out but it's taking way longer than we had anticipated.

Granted it also turns out that while we were worrying about government surveillance corporate surveillance was ratcheting up. While the internet has done things that are practically miraculous it's also allowed assholes to be bigger assholes than assholes 100 years ago could ever have imagined. The internet of things and smart homes turned out to be horrible loving ideas as a lot of things just don't need electronics. A toaster doesn't need precise temperature controls and a pile of bullshit electronics. It needs to make toast. If it makes toast it's a good toaster. The only thing smart everything really managed to accomplish was allowing assholes with botnets to create record-setting DDOS attacks on a daily basis. While the internet is full of information and you can learn about basically anything you want the ease of spreading information makes it just as easy to spread misinformation. Instead of looking for the truth people just go to "tellmewhyimright.com." News moves so fast that fact checking has gone out the window. By the time you get the facts checked a thousand other stories have broken.

Despite all of that I can't get where I need to be in a flying taxi with a robot driver who can make pleasant conversation about whatever I want with whatever accent and voice I want ti to have. Automated phone systems are a loving disaster on top of that as they won't understand you at all if you have an uncommon accent. Like yeah I adore technology and I'm a computer toucher by trade but if this is the best we can do I for one am not impressed. Come on humanity, we can do better than this.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Despite all of that I can't get where I need to be in a flying taxi with a robot driver who can make pleasant conversation about whatever I want with whatever accent and voice I want ti to have. Automated phone systems are a loving disaster on top of that as they won't understand you at all if you have an uncommon accent. Like yeah I adore technology and I'm a computer toucher by trade but if this is the best we can do I for one am not impressed. Come on humanity, we can do better than this.

Chances are we can't actually and pretty soon we're gonna be wearing leather jockstraps and masks worshiping some guy called Humongous in the ruins of what could've been a great future. But take solace in the fact that you right now at least can still enjoy the world as is before the collapse, so get laid or something. Play some Hearthstone. Go on a shitposting spree. I'm sure there's other things people do for fun I'm not thinking of right now.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Vandar posted:

We're living in the cyberpunk future, but not the cool version with the rad neon lights and awesome aesthetic. We're living in the shittiest possible version of it.

True but this is why neon light death robot cyberpunk still kicks rear end. Except now it serves as a cooler version of reality instead of a cautionary tale.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

There's no such thing as a tragic snorkeling accident. Even the worst snorkeling accident is at least a little funny.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The Witcher tv show looks great but the dialogue is chronically bad.

How can they not realise they are making a show based on a game and it should be a 45 minute long monster fight

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Tangentially I'm very tired of Keanu Reeves or Henry Cavill or other sweet, dumb, beautiful men using grade-school marketing savvy and getting a frightening amount of praise for it from teenage boys.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

JollyBoyJohn posted:

How can they not realise they are making a show based on a game and it should be a 45 minute long monster fight

That was the biggest problem with the show for me. I want more detective snooping and monster fighting.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I want to understand people’s Witcher hype but I can’t play an rpg with a set character starting at game 2 or 3, and Witcher 1 sucks absolute rear end. I have been trying for a decade but I will never finish it or play the others.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

JollyBoyJohn posted:

It's not based on the games, but if it was the combat is always the worst part of them so I don't think that's the lesson they would take.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I want to understand people’s Witcher hype but I can’t play an rpg with a set character starting at game 2 or 3, and Witcher 1 sucks absolute rear end. I have been trying for a decade but I will never finish it or play the others.

I don’t know why you wouldn’t just watch a recap and skip to 2 or even just straight to 3

Like, I’m pretty sure like 2% of people who are into the game have actually played Witcher 1 and most people probably started with 3.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Witcher 1 is the jankiest videogame i have played

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
I started with 3. It's very good about being aware that most people started with 3.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Witcher 1 combat was actually good.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I did not like the witcher 3. assassins creed combat but with magic

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah but the combat is not what makes it good. The quest design is dope.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i feel if you're going to have a 500 hour game, the combat should be good

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

spit on my clit posted:

i feel if you're going to have a 500 hour game, the combat should be good

War is bad!

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

How can they not realise they are making a show based on a game and it should be a 45 minute long game of Gwent

FTFY

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I played Witcher 2 and never did more than an hour or two in Witcher 3 because it was another painfully sluggish start to a beautifully rendered world that absolutely no one outside of an adolescent boy or manchild could give a gently caress about

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

hey there are quite a few games with this message that have good combat

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm not saying it gets a free pass for having ho hum combat because everything else is good. I'm saying everything else is good enough that I'll put up with the combat. If it had great combat it would possibly be the greatest game I've ever played but it doesn't. It's still a great game though.

And it's not like the combat is offensively bad it's just not that memorable and can be annoying at times. The controls in general aren't great either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Witcher 3 was too much of an inventory simulator for me to enjoy, I wish it cut that out entirely and I might have been able to play it.