Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

Failed Imagineer posted:

Who has dessert after lunch

Retirees. If you have no where to be, and you are already eating out, why not have a brownie or something.
Edit:

Tnega fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Dec 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Majorian posted:

I can't wait for him to lose every single state in the primaries except for South Carolina.

if he gets poo poo on in the first three states then quite frankly i bet he loses sc, too

like his entire campaign hinges on electability. if he loses ia and nh, let alone nv, his campaign is gonna collapse like nothing we have ever seen before in the history of anything anywhere ever.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Gyges posted:

What if instead of canceling the debt, Bernie directed the treasury not to take any money payments on the debt or charge interest while he worked to get the tax code changed?

While that would have the same immediate effect, it poses a problem if he doesn't get to fix the code because now so your debts that you didn't pay accumulated interest.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Salean posted:

The electability argument should end the moment your perfectly smooth brain remembers trump won

Akshuyally, he lost the popular vote so I don't have to make any mental adjustments and can continue to live in denial,. thank you very much

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Guybrush Threepwood had a rough couple of years.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

mcmagic posted:

That Trump is worse than even the most horrible Democrat? Because that is objective reality.

This is objectively not true. A clinton presidency would have had about the same body count, if not worse, than the trump one

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

unwantedplatypus posted:

This is objectively not true. A clinton presidency would have had about the same body count, if not worse, than the trump one

The only real difference I'm seeing between W, Obama, and Trump is that 1) Trump is the most incompetent of the three, 2) he's demented like woah, and 3) he's rude and says the quiet parts out loud. Guess what? I don't give a gently caress about 3, it's all the other stuff I care about.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

mycomancy posted:

The only real difference I'm seeing between W, Obama, and Trump is that 1) Trump is the most incompetent of the three, 2) he's demented like woah, and 3) he's rude and says the quiet parts out loud. Guess what? I don't give a gently caress about 3, it's all the other stuff I care about.

His incompetence probably makes him less worse than Obama, certainly less worse than Bush. At least Trump's brain is far too melted to get any of the horrid poo poo done like W's cabinet did, or Obama's Reagan-lite decorum-poisoning.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

mycomancy posted:

I sort of agree with this generally, but there are plenty of examples of why Trump is uniquely bad. Such as the administration saying "too bad we're not changing a thing" after border concentration camp abuses became public. Even the GWB administration would've done *something* as a result of the public pressure.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
President Clinton would've unarguably done more horrible poo poo abroad, as Secretary of State she proved that she loves destroying countries, it's her favorite thing to do. But Trump as also done a decent amount of foreign murder. And it's not like he hasn't tried to do more. The Trump administration's foreign policy has largely been restricted by it's own incompetence and Trump's senility, not by any principles. If Trump was able to put together a team of people who could all agree on anything other than using their offices to enrich themselves personally, and if Trump himself still had the attention span for something as complicated as a war, they definitely would've done way more heinous poo poo..

And that's just talking about foreign policy. While Clinton's domestic policy wasn't great, it was unarguably significantly better than Trump's.

Hillary Clinton was a terrible candidate and would've been a godawful president. It is known. But to really say that she would've been worse than Trump just feels like contrarianness.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Gripweed posted:

President Clinton would've unarguably done more horrible poo poo abroad, as Secretary of State she proved that she loves destroying countries, it's her favorite thing to do. But Trump as also done a decent amount of foreign murder. And it's not like he hasn't tried to do more. The Trump administration's foreign policy has largely been restricted by it's own incompetence and Trump's senility, not by any principles. If Trump was able to put together a team of people who could all agree on anything other than using their offices to enrich themselves personally, and if Trump himself still had the attention span for something as complicated as a war, they definitely would've done way more heinous poo poo..

And that's just talking about foreign policy. While Clinton's domestic policy wasn't great, it was unarguably significantly better than Trump's.

Hillary Clinton was a terrible candidate and would've been a godawful president. It is known. But to really say that she would've been worse than Trump just feels like contrarianness.

Her competency is part of what makes her as bad as trump

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

BERNIE BROS!!!!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

LeeMajors posted:

Joe Biden is that Lloyd Bridges decrepit weight-lifter character from Seinfeld.

https://twitter.com/rprose/status/1209924036693770240

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

someone on the Biden team is getting a six figure salary to figure out new ways to mention Obama

https://twitter.com/KaivanShroff/status/1211076566417117184?s=20

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Open up some rando LLC in Delaware, transfer all the debt to it, cancel the debt, then have the LLC declare bankruptcy and close down bing bing bong

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Gripweed posted:

I also think we're seriously lowballing how bad Trump's ultimate body count will be between Puerto Rico, Yemen, child concentration camps, pollution, global warming, hate crimes, deregulation, making GBS threads up the ACA even more somehow, etc., etc.

And that's all just in part of 1 term.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

sean10mm posted:

I also think we're seriously lowballing how bad Trump's ultimate body count will be between Puerto Rico, Yemen, child concentration camps, pollution, global warming, hate crimes, deregulation, making GBS threads up the ACA even more somehow, etc., etc.

And that's all just in part of 1 term.

Trump's damage will be slow, unlike Bush's 'start a war' damage.

Trump's judges will gently caress us over for 40 years. They will allow some heinous poo poo. They may start allowing for some really bad poo poo.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

What an incredibly quick-witted and not at all dementia-riddled brain!

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

So after Biden gets his lunch eaten by Trump he will sneak into the WH to serve Sanders his dessert? Biden might be getting pretty hungry by that point.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Pander posted:

I convinced my parents that buttigieg was an ambitious sociopath with no real goal for helping people as president over break. So yes it was a merry Xmas in my household!

They also think Biden is senile. They agree Warren is a bad campaigner and has poor political instincts. They hate trump.

I cant get them to say they support Bernie, but they're about out of options.

I had the exact same Christmas, except my mom actually said “I hope so” after I said Bernie is gonna win.

Still not enough to have me start “hoping” again but it’s a start.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Meatball posted:

Trump's damage will be slow, unlike Bush's 'start a war' damage.

Trump's judges will gently caress us over for 40 years. They will allow some heinous poo poo. They may start allowing for some really bad poo poo.

As I've repeatedly pointed out, the real danger of Trump is that we don't have time to wait this out anymore. If we weren't staring down the barrel of the climate emergency then, sure, maybe we could ride this out and correct the course over the years. poo poo has to be unfucked now or else!

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Will the push up battle commence before or after because Biden's 1940s toxic male masculinity insecurity has to get an in somewhere?

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

gently caress imagine cross checking the guy on accident. Like...............gently caress......

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Harton posted:

gently caress imagine cross checking the guy on accident. Like...............gently caress......

He was playing with his own ministers and governors, the most likely accident would have been someone stumbling on his own skates and others crashing into the pile because they can't brake.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Clinton would've been a lovely president but we wouldn't have 1/4 of federal courts full of blood-drinking moron psychopaths, Gorsuch wouldn't be a supreme, and Kennedy wouldn't have retired to get replaced by someone worse and much younger.

And as awful as the Democrats are on foreign policy she wouldn't have pardoned war criminals (despite being good buddies with our worst).

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Nenonen posted:

He was playing with his own ministers and governors, the most likely accident would have been someone stumbling on his own skates and others crashing into the pile because they can't brake.

I think last year someone left a carpet on the ice for some reason, and Putin ate poo poo on it.

https://youtu.be/5hPnSI2mHUU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Groovelord Neato posted:

Clinton would've been a lovely president but we wouldn't have 1/4 of federal courts full of blood-drinking moron psychopaths, Gorsuch wouldn't be a supreme, and Kennedy wouldn't have retired to get replaced by someone worse and much younger.

And as awful as the Democrats are on foreign policy she wouldn't have pardoned war criminals (despite being good buddies with our worst).

Any appointments would have been stonewalled until whatever republican psycho came after her took power

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Gyges posted:

What if instead of canceling the debt, Bernie directed the treasury not to take any money payments on the debt or charge interest while he worked to get the tax code changed?

I don't know. I mean, it shouldn't have any tax implications (other than making sure nobody can claim the student loan interest deduction), but I can't speak to the politics, legality, or policy implications of it (other than it wouldn't be the treasury...it would be the Department of Education through their contractors/loan servicers, like Navient).

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I think last year someone left a carpet on the ice for some reason, and Putin ate poo poo on it.

https://youtu.be/5hPnSI2mHUU

drat......seeing the guys behind him try and save him is great. Lol imagine being goalie and trying to “save” those 8 goals. Probably the worst position you could be put in.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Re: Clinton or Trump being worse

It depends on whether Trump wins reelection or not. Had Clinton won, democrats would be in an even smaller minority in the senate and probably in the house. She'd also have a very tough reelection campaign. If a decent candidate wins in 2020 (and by decent I am saying in comparison to Hillary, so anyone other than Pete or Biden), a Trump win will have been better than a Hillary win. We have a chance to start 2021 with a democratic presidency and majorities in both houses, even if small. A Hillary win and the earliest we would have had this would be 2025 (if Hillary lost in 2020, dems take over congress in 2022 and win in 2024 - if Hillary won in 2020 as well, it would have been 8 years without majorities anywhere).

Which is why this election its important to do more than just defeat Trump. It is likely the last chance before climate apocalypse for something, and so we need someone who will take advantage of a presidency and possible majority in both houses, because it's likely the only 2 years in the next decade where a democrat would have that. A Biden presidency, where he does half assed reforms trying to get republicans on board likely leads to super majorities for republicans in 2022.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
If Clinton had won then 2018 would have cemented the GOP majority in congress and in statehouses and literally put them within striking distance of being able to rewrite the constitution if they managed to find a competent fascist for 2020.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
If Clinton would have won we'd be at forever wars with 10 different middle eastern states to kill Brown people so industry could profit.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

mcmagic posted:

That Trump is worse than even the most horrible Democrat? Because that is objective reality.

the dems should avoid rigging the primary again, then

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The child concentration camps would still have existed under clinton, only libs would politely ignore them

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

Gatts posted:

If Clinton would have won we'd be at forever wars with 10 different middle eastern states to kill Brown people so industry could profit.

Winner winner. Our economy would be doing far better than even now, as every big monopoly industry has it's hands in warmongering. The wars would replace any talk of social justice that has been happening on national levels.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
“Hillary would’ve starred ten warzzz!!!” is a great example of extending a correct observation to the point of complete idiocy.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
And you'd never be hearing the end of The Trump Network.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Mellow Seas posted:

“Hillary would’ve starred ten warzzz!!!” is a great example of extending a correct observation to the point of complete idiocy.

Well we're currently officially at war in:

Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria, Yemen, Somalia, Libya, and Niger

So it really isn't too much hyperbole to say Hillary would have started another 3.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
She's on record of loving Kissinger and having proxy battles with nations. She'd want to keep Russia at bay for US Capitalistic interests. It's probably why Putin had a drive to interfere, he doesn't want her elected cause she's counter to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Trabisnikof posted:

Well we're currently officially at war in:

Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria, Yemen, Somalia, Libya, and Niger

So it really isn't too much hyperbole to say Hillary would have started another 3.

“Officially”?