Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pizza Segregationist
Jul 18, 2006

The pro-pedo person brought up Jesus first and that’s what got Liz started. originally she was just making a purely secular argument that it’s bad to want to gently caress kids. I think most people can get on board with that one..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

papa horny michael posted:

Catholics are still the single largest religious group in the us lol I'm okay with liz penetrating those tight circles of thought

if you're going to argue that something isn't obscenely psychotic, defending via the rhetorical point that a large sector of american society supports it is an interesting choice

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

america, you know, that country where above 40 percent approve of President Trump. that country that has a president Donald Trump. you know, that incredibly stable and normal society

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Mr. Lobe posted:

the problem is you shouldn't be using the same psychotic moral framework that says gay sex (or hell, just premarital sex, or technically, any non PIV sex according to the Holy See) is bad as your moral high ground to say to say that molesting children is bad

you could use, like, just about any other moral framework out there and stand on a much, much firmer foundation

this is literally anti catholic bigotry lol we did it

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

terrorist ambulance posted:

Lol yeah you're right sin is a great and useful moral framework and powerful rhetorical tool. The catholic church has managed to stay well clear of any pedophilia problems by recognizing sexual attraction to children as "sinful" rather than say, fundamentally wrong and inherently abusive (for starters)

If you decide to bring Jesus into a conversation about the morality of loving babies, you're going to have discuss sin. I agree that it wasn't a great rhetorical move by the "sex+ libertarian" in that discussion, but that's hardly surprising.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Farm Frenzy posted:

this is literally anti catholic bigotry lol we did it

if it's bigotry to say catholicism is hosed up, then what's to stop, say, cults from making the same defense?

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Mr. Lobe posted:

if it's bigotry to say catholicism is hosed up, then what's to stop, say, cults from making the same defense?

there arent 1.2 billion cultists in the world

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Farm Frenzy posted:

there arent 1.2 billion cultists in the world

no, cults usually inspire more enthusiasm for their hosed up ideology rather than the mechanical indifference that centuries of cultural inertia will generate

good thing I was never making the claim that the catholic church is a cult. only that it is hosed up. the blunted enthusiasm of most of its adherents does not change that

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Mr. Lobe posted:

no, cults usually inspire more enthusiasm for their hosed up ideology rather than the mechanical indifference that centuries of cultural inertia will generate

good thing I was never making the claim that the catholic church is a cult. only that it is hosed up. the blunted enthusiasm of most of its adherents does not change that

so elizabeth shouldn't use her catholicism in a conversation with another christian, because there are other catholics in the world who are too extreme? hmm this conversation reminds me of something

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Farm Frenzy posted:

so elizabeth shouldn't use her catholicism in a conversation with another christian, because there are other catholics in the world who are too extreme? hmm this conversation reminds me of something

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that if you are reduced to making theological arguments on why to not gently caress kids, then yeah, maybe that particular struggle for the soul of the person in question is a lost one and you are making a fool out of yourself

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Catholicism is cancelled

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Catholicism isn't very good if you can't control the Curia.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
I would simply not play the religious believers game, and take my extreme antagonism elsewhere. oh poo poo everyone's mostly religious, you say?

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
imagine seeing two posters of liz and matt's ability and telling them to log off.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Mr. Lobe posted:

america, you know, that country where above 40 percent approve of President Trump. that country that has a president Donald Trump. you know, that incredibly stable and normal society

Okay i guess pedophilia is a lost cause. What the gently caress

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Breadallelogram posted:

Okay i guess pedophilia is a lost cause. What the gently caress

I'm having a hard time connecting the dots between what I posted and this claim

my reason for bringing up the US's Demon Cracker Nation factor was more just to say that maybe an appeal to common practice isn't such a hot moral argument, not an exhortation to do nothing about the evils within our society, such as pedophilia

that said, I doubt you can church-talk people out of diddling kids. clearly it has not worked for the catholics, for instance

anyway I hate that I am making GBS threads up this thread because of the particular bee in my bonnet that is the bizarre way people are usually just kinda middlingly ok with the catholic church, but what can I say, this is what a queer youth spent among those freaks has done to me

Mr. Lobe fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Dec 29, 2019

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Mainstream Catholicism is dogshit but its not like there aren't schools of thought within it that are worth engaging with and allying with from a tactical standpoint. Liberation Theology is a real thing that is taken seriously in the third world and could probably be imported to poor communities in the first world as something that can challenge the Prosperity Gospel bullshit that infects america like an STD.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Mr. Lobe posted:

I'm having a hard time connecting the dots between what I posted and this claim

my reason for bringing up the US's Demon Cracker Nation factor was more just to say that maybe an appeal to common practice isn't such a hot moral argument, not an exhortation to do nothing about the evils within our society, such as pedophilia

that said, I doubt you can church-talk people out of diddling kids. clearly it has not worked for the catholics, for instance

anyway I hate that I am making GBS threads up this thread because of the particular bee in my bonnet that is the bizarre way people are usually just kinda middlingly ok with the catholic church, but what can I say, this is what a queer youth spent among those freaks has done to me

It's okay. You have good reason to react against it, but I really don't think it's a big deal to call rape (especially of children) a sin. Most people understand the concept of "sin" in some fashion.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Maybe Bruenig will be like Chesterton and inspire generations of insufferable dorks to dress and write exactly like her.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Lot of people asking questions already answered by my “don’t call rape a sin” shirt.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
A lot of posters ITT arguing that pedophilia isn't a sin. I wonder how many of them love to post about childrens cartoons...and worse

Space Panda
Nov 15, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Not having sex with kids is just a bourgeois pretension.

I am also a member of antifa and became a communist by reading twitter posts, and listing to half a million dollar a month podcasters. Dril is also a god second only to karl marx. MAGA chud.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
Lmao nevermind, I found the controversial tweets that a couple posters were being normal about. I'm starting to suspect that some of you just dont like Women Tweeters!!

https://twitter.com/ebruenig/status/1210996135944478720
https://twitter.com/ebruenig/status/1211030196759023617
https://twitter.com/ebruenig/status/1211030963498766336

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

I notice no one's actually denied that the "sin" framework equates pedophilia and homosexuality.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

sleeptalker posted:

I notice no one's actually denied that the "sin" framework equates pedophilia and homosexuality.

Sin isn't a framework

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
The grosser thing is Sheila van den Heuvel-Collins advertises her tutoring services to children on her personal website. Constantly posting pedophile defenses, and writing (multiple?) books about such is a bit of a red flag.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Slanderer posted:

Sin isn't a framework

the catholic construction of morality is a framework which identifies both things as sin, don't be obtuse

Space Panda
Nov 15, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Love how chapo trap house jokes about the catholic church pedophile cover up but also overlooks the fact that muhammed took a 9 year old bride. Pretty much shows they are a joke.

Also having patton oswalt on their show. Do they think he works at scale with the gaffer on his projects. LOL. But yeah yeah boat dealers in wisconsin are prime enemy number one. Thank you son of a some ridiculous LOLyer who thinks he is cool because he listens to sound cloud rappers.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Mr. Lobe posted:

the catholic construction of morality is a framework which identifies both things as sin, do not be obtuse

Why do you feel so strongly about not wanting pedophilia to be a sin????

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

Space Panda posted:

Love how chapo trap house jokes about the catholic church pedophile cover up but also overlooks the fact that muhammed took a 9 year old bride. Pretty much shows they are a joke.

Also having patton oswalt on their show. Do they think he works at scale with the gaffer on his projects. LOL. But yeah yeah boat dealers in wisconsin are prime enemy number one. Thank you son of a some ridiculous LOLyer who thinks he is cool because he listens to sound cloud rappers.

what is this?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Slanderer posted:

it's fine to say it is a sin, maybe just don't be a catholic while doing it thanks

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Mr. Lobe posted:

the catholic construction of morality is a framework which identifies both things as sin, don't be obtuse

Asking Slanderer to not be obtuse is like trying to pass a camel through the eye of a needle, or something.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Slanderer posted:

Just an absolute smooth donkey's brain

What's wrong with calling it a sin? It is, just like those equally mortal sins of masturbation, blasphemy, abortion, divorce, or gay sex. All really bad sins! What's the issue??

Space Panda
Nov 15, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Honestly at the end of the day you cant even feel good about supporting them. Maybe if Matt Christman had his own seperate patreon. MAYBE. But they aren't even forming good takes or informing you any more. Re: Labour's recent loss and Bernies upcoming BTFOing.

They are basically going to cheerlead BURNie and ride the patreon train into the ground and then hook up with oswalt or heidecker to do some comedy show. I know a lot of you are in denial about this but its pretty obvious at this point. It will definitely happen after the election though (gotta get the patreon bucks while people are hyped for 2020).

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Slanderer is 100% right here, though.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Space Panda posted:

Honestly at the end of the day you cant even feel good about supporting them. Maybe if Matt Christman had his own seperate patreon. MAYBE. But they aren't even forming good takes or informing you any more. Re: Labour's recent loss and Bernies upcoming BTFOing.

They are basically going to cheerlead BURNie and ride the patreon train into the ground and then hook up with oswalt or heidecker to do some comedy show. I know a lot of you are in denial about this but its pretty obvious at this point. It will definitely happen after the election though (gotta get the patreon bucks while people are hyped for 2020).

what is this?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

terrorist ambulance posted:

Just an absolute smooth donkey's brain

What's wrong with calling it a sin? It is, just like those equally mortal sins of masturbation, blasphemy, abortion, divorce, or gay sex. All really bad sins! What's the issue??

actually the church never defined a list of mortal sins, checkmate atheist

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

actually the church never defined a list of mortal sins, checkmate atheist

Good point, most Catholics would find an abortion more morally culpable than child abuse

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
drat. It sure is tough living around all of these catholics in new mexico, whom are progressive democrats for lgbtq rights and abortion. It's almost like many of the problems within religious groups are caused by institutional power from above rather than individual members.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

papa horny michael posted:

drat. It sure is tough living around all of these catholics in new mexico, whom are progressive democrats for lgbtq rights and abortion. It's almost like many of the problems within religious groups are caused by institutional power from above rather than individual members.

maybe they should do something about that institutional power or something

the tithes they pay go to an institution that does things like creating ideological and political roadblocks to abortion, gay and trans rights. it is a bizarre and counterproductive cognitive dissonance and an active obstacle to the more pro-social beliefs expressed by those people who I believe generally want is best for other people.