Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Earl Chestnuts
Feb 19, 2013
It always kind of sucks that you have to choose between a strong early economy, or actually having some loving variety in your starting army

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Yup, why bother hamstringing your early economy by building a fancy military building when you can just run with spearmen + archers for 50 turns.

I kinda wish they'd either do something like with Alarielle, where they bump their focus unit building down a tier (sisters/Handmaiden building for Averlorn), or like with the Dark Elves (most prominently Malus and Lokhir) where you can separate all your recruitment buildings into a black ark. It does wonders for variety.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Broken Cog posted:

One of these days I'm gonna do a High Elf campaign where I actually use cavalry before Dragon Princes.

Ellyrian Reaver Archers are quick to access(you can throw their building in a random minor), cheap to build, low upkeep, and kick huge rear end. They have bows so they can add to your gunline and they're super fast and really competent in melee so you can use them for flank/rear charges or running down and slaughtering ranged units while your archers shoot the infantry. They're one of my favorite units in the entire game.

Normal Ellyrian Reavers are just ER Archers without the bows so gently caress em. Silver Helms aren't really worth the cost or time.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Dec 29, 2019

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Kanos posted:

Ellyrian Reaver Archers are quick to access(you can throw their building in a random minor), cheap to build, low upkeep, and kick huge rear end. They have bows so they can add to your gunline and they're super fast and really competent in melee so you can use them for flank/rear charges or running down and slaughtering ranged units while your archers shoot the infantry. They're one of my favorite units in the entire game.

Silver Helms aren't really worth the cost or time.

I believe you, but ever since I started playing Very Hard campaign I feel like I need the extra income/PO buildings in the minor settlements to stay on top of the campaign in the early game as HE's. I imagine it is even worse on Legendary.
Not to mention that you need walls everywhere if you are playing Vortex

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Yeah, I just build one building in my most stable province and call it good, since generally an army only ever needs like 3 units of them and they rarely get wiped out because they're so fast so you don't need convenient replacement.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Earl Chestnuts posted:

It always kind of sucks that you have to choose between a strong early economy, or actually having some loving variety in your starting army

the advanced starting capital mod helps out a lot with that

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

It's kind of a shame that TWW3 will probably just be an enhanced TWW2 to preserve the integrity of all of the existing content for Mortal Empires, because I really would love if they pulled a 3K and shifted recruitment requirements to the lord's level rather than a bunch of loving annoying tier-locked recruitment buildings that need highly developed provinces across dozens of turn to even build. You could also add flavor to lords by changing up the order they unlock stuff, like Karl could unlock Reiksguard earlier, Grimgor could get black orcs earlier, etc.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Kanos posted:

It's kind of a shame that TWW3 will probably just be an enhanced TWW2 to preserve the integrity of all of the existing content for Mortal Empires, because I really would love if they pulled a 3K and shifted recruitment requirements to the lord's level rather than a bunch of loving annoying tier-locked recruitment buildings that need highly developed provinces across dozens of turn to even build. You could also add flavor to lords by changing up the order they unlock stuff, like Karl could unlock Reiksguard earlier, Grimgor could get black orcs earlier, etc.

Gonna have to wait till they do Total War: Warhammer 2/4, so called because it's made after 3, but also is different from the previous entries in the same way Shogun 2 is different from shogun 1, and as such can have different base mechanics, and is not simply a new part of the world map. (seriously though, what would be a good name for that if they ever do it?).

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl
For the Empire fealty question before, I recall being able to get more than 1 fealty for relations. I don’t recall finding where folks had figured out exactly the criteria. So either there is an RNG roll to gain above certain thresholds or there is more of a step function to gain additional the higher you go. Either way I know I’ve had relations fealty of 2s and I think 3s, not just the single. I don’t think it would have been a mod thing (played a Mixu LL Empire faction).

With them adding Nagashizar (sp?) did they do it as an unoccupied ruin or with like a rebel group or something else? Haven’t done Arkhan since before that and was musing out some theoretical strats.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Stephen9001 posted:

(seriously though, what would be a good name for that if they ever do it?).

Would they do Age of Sigmar? I dunno. I’m still pretty new to the warhammer universe. I’m not sure where they’d go once they’ve released the very last DLC or patch.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Personally I'm hoping for LotR Total War with CA somehow piggy-backing on the deal GW has, albeit I realise this is an unrealistic pipe-dream.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
i dream that Medieval 3 is a trilogy like WH, where each game is stand alone but they merge into one mega-campaign

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I'm at a loss what to do with Repanse to get my last ~600 Chivalry. Most of the rest of the Vortex map is Orange or Red habitability to me, and its impossible to fight Foreign Legion wars in this game due to replenishment, so I guess I'm going to spend 3+ turns crossing from Lustria to The Southlands so I can raze a city over there, then swim back to replenish, over and over?

Or I guess I could backstab Kroq-Gar and fight a hellwar against him to take over the rest of Not-Africa?
edit: Nope, this wouldnt be worth it, the rest of Southlands is all orange, too. Sigh.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Personally I'm hoping for LotR Total War with CA somehow piggy-backing on the deal GW has, albeit I realise this is an unrealistic pipe-dream.

If they can just get GW to allow modding in this game... We also need an army painter ala Dawn of War 2.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I'm at a loss what to do with Repanse to get my last ~600 Chivalry. Most of the rest of the Vortex map is Orange or Red habitability to me, and its impossible to fight Foreign Legion wars in this game due to replenishment, so I guess I'm going to spend 3+ turns crossing from Lustria to The Southlands so I can raze a city over there, then swim back to replenish, over and over?

Or I guess I could backstab Kroq-Gar and fight a hellwar against him to take over the rest of Not-Africa?
edit: Nope, this wouldnt be worth it, the rest of Southlands is all orange, too. Sigh.

I pushed down into the south and had a couple armies up north burning through dark elf armies. Ended up inhabiting a bunch of orange territory. It just means slower regen, typically your armies won't take enough damage for it to really matter.

ZigZag
Aug 1, 2004

Good reactions etc..
What mods are people using to stop the late game dwarf/empire poo poo show?
10 stacks of steam tanks denigryph spam is pretty boring to deal with..
So if someone can recommend some mods that fix stack comp and diploma deathbalks..
Oh and it must fix the dwarf clan mors alliance to

ZigZag fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Dec 29, 2019

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

dogstile posted:

I pushed down into the south and had a couple armies up north burning through dark elf armies. Ended up inhabiting a bunch of orange territory. It just means slower regen, typically your armies won't take enough damage for it to really matter.
Yeah I'm actually pretty tired of using Cavalry because I'm sick of how much damage they take in the charge. I really dont like how exceptionally little damage infantry take in a charge, how easily they recover from getting charged, and how quickly they start murdering my 130+ armor Knights even when they do not have AP. Fighting Norscans is an exercise in futility because charging the rear of their armored infantry does nothing; charging at Berserkers results in a dead Knight unit. Its really not fun because after you win you lose your army to their new fresh full stack army that appears out of the mists. Fighting Dark Elves suck because everything has AP. Fighting Skaven sucks because they're Skaven. If Cavalry actually did damage with charges maybe I would be singing a different song but so far I win most battles by using my lords and heroes to occupy the majority of the enemy army then arrow and Trebuchet the enemy to death.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Dec 29, 2019

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

So I just got this and have been gravitating toward the Tomb Lords, but one thing I'm not getting what's the practical difference in chariots vs. cal. On the face of it it feels like you basically use them the same way? I am enjoying how different the factions feel though. And using the starting dino artillery to terrorize melee once I realized I could do that while messing with the fat lizard dude.

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl

Can’t you send your crusade stack almost anywhere as long as your using encamp periodically? Granted I was doing ME but to farm chivalry I called a crusade against the Cult of Pleasure. I had been long time friends with the HE megalliance and Morathi had been holding her own enough to have plenty of territory and also high corruption. To me it felt like replenishment wasn’t as bad as I expected using the encamp and sometimes just merging units down, disbanding the leftovers and recruiting brand new replacements. By the time I was purging the unholy knife-ears my economy could sustain it and my global recruitment capacity was insaaaane. I need to do a vortex Repanse though to test if it’s as viable.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Kalessin ofSelidor posted:

Can’t you send your crusade stack almost anywhere as long as your using encamp periodically? Granted I was doing ME but to farm chivalry I called a crusade against the Cult of Pleasure. I had been long time friends with the HE megalliance and Morathi had been holding her own enough to have plenty of territory and also high corruption. To me it felt like replenishment wasn’t as bad as I expected using the encamp and sometimes just merging units down, disbanding the leftovers and recruiting brand new replacements. By the time I was purging the unholy knife-ears my economy could sustain it and my global recruitment capacity was insaaaane. I need to do a vortex Repanse though to test if it’s as viable.
Yeah I'm trying but my per my prior post (the one after the one you quoted but before this one) I'm just not having any fun with it because Cav suck and the Replenishment is really bad, at least to me. No Brettonian Lords or Heroes provide Casualty Replenishment and you can really feel it.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Honestly, one of my main beefs with the battle AI is that they will brace Every. Single. Time. unless you charge them while they are already engaged in combat. It makes using chariots and some cav a lot more frustrating than it should.
It's probably more useful against human players that make mistake and lose track of units, but the AI will micro the poo poo out of their infantry to never take a charge they haven't braced for.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Broken Cog posted:

Honestly, one of my main beefs with the battle AI is that they will brace Every. Single. Time. unless you charge them while they are already engaged in combat. It makes using chariots and some cav a lot more frustrating than it should.
It's probably more useful against human players that make mistake and lose track of units, but the AI will micro the poo poo out of their infantry to never take a charge they haven't braced for.

Wait how do you brace? I honestly didn't even know that was a thing.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Gorelab posted:

Wait how do you brace? I honestly didn't even know that was a thing.

Position a unit facing the incoming charge, if they have charge defense they will brace when charged.
Most spear units have charge defense against large for example, but there are some units that have charge defense against all.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Yeah I'm actually pretty tired of using Cavalry because I'm sick of how much damage they take in the charge. I really dont like how exceptionally little damage infantry take in a charge, how easily they recover from getting charged, and how quickly they start murdering my 130+ armor Knights even when they do not have AP. Fighting Norscans is an exercise in futility because charging the rear of their armored infantry does nothing; charging at Berserkers results in a dead Knight unit. Its really not fun because after you win you lose your army to their new fresh full stack army that appears out of the mists. Fighting Dark Elves suck because everything has AP. Fighting Skaven sucks because they're Skaven. If Cavalry actually did damage with charges maybe I would be singing a different song but so far I win most battles by using my lords and heroes to occupy the majority of the enemy army then arrow and Trebuchet the enemy to death.

This has not been my experience at all with Bret cav. What cav are you using on these charges and are you tying them up with infantry/grail guardians?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Kalessin ofSelidor posted:

It's viable, i finished a Repanse campaign a couple days ago doing it. My armies weren't really cav heavy. I had a few horses in each (also one lol army of entirely horses that i'd reinforce with) but most of the work was done via trebuchets and peasant archers, with lords making hero ball a thing. Fairly sure my spearmen lost 80 guys for every person they actually killed.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Playing Khalida, and where did Tehenahuin get these 4 units of Salamander hunting packs and the Ancient Salamander from? He does not have the building for either.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

ZigZag posted:

So if someone can recommend some mods that fix stack comp and diploma deathbalks..

Table top caps limits that but there is also a loreful expansion mod

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

How do I reduce the recruitment time for Dread Saurians as Nakai? 4 turns is too drat long.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

yikes! posted:

This has not been my experience at all with Bret cav. What cav are you using on these charges and are you tying them up with infantry/grail guardians?
Anything. Even charging Tomb King poo poo Skellies from three directions barely hurts them. I dont tie them up with infantry though because thats a great way to lose infantry. Like I said I am mainly doing the tie-up-entire-armies-with-lord-and-heroes-then-archer-them tactic, with the cav taking care of things on the side, except the Cav always need help.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 29, 2019

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Earl Chestnuts posted:

Playing as Empire, can you only get one fealty point for having high relations? Is it ever worth making two of the AI provinces like/hate each other?

High relations has a 5% chance (iirc) of giving you a point of fealty every turn. You can get more that 1 this way.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Anything. Even charging Tomb King poo poo Skellies from three directions barely hurts them. I dont tied them up with infantry though because thats a great way to lose infantry. Like I said I am mainly doing the tie-up-entire-armies-with-lord-and-heroes-then-archer-them tactic, with the cav taking care of things on the side, except the Cav always need help.

I'm honestly now sure what you're doing or if you're using some sort of overhaul mod, because in my experiece a good heavy cav charge can cause the biggest amount of burst damage (to say nothing of the morale impact) of anything in the game. Can you make a clip/take some screens?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
If your cav seems to have no impact, make sure your cav units are set to run and they have enough space to get their charge bonus. It's easy for new players to mess that up.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

ZigZag posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1892582971 With the default settings

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Mordja posted:

I'm honestly now sure what you're doing or if you're using some sort of overhaul mod, because in my experiece a good heavy cav charge can cause the biggest amount of burst damage (to say nothing of the morale impact) of anything in the game. Can you make a clip/take some screens?
No mods. I use the Wedge formation, give run orders and provide plenty of space to run to initiate the charge. The next time I bother to fight a battle out I'll try to take some screenshots, absolutely.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Anything. Even charging Tomb King poo poo Skellies from three directions barely hurts them. I dont tie them up with infantry though because thats a great way to lose infantry. Like I said I am mainly doing the tie-up-entire-armies-with-lord-and-heroes-then-archer-them tactic, with the cav taking care of things on the side, except the Cav always need help.

As someone said, if they're spears and otherwise not engaged then the AI will be stopping them and bracing them, that'll negate your charge bonus and the spear units bonus vs large attacks will help them out against the cav.

If they aren't spears then are you pulling the cav out straight away? The charge bonus buffs up your units stats and then goes away after 20 seconds at which point a lot of cav units stats are pretty crap (might be wrong on this figure but it's something like that). The initial charge can really wreck poo poo in some circumstances, like if it's the best cav in the game charging basic troops but generally you want cav to get stuck in for a little while and then pull them out to charge either another target or back in to really lay on the damage in my experience.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Also hammer and anvil tactics are reliant on having a functional anvil, which usually means infantry (even if they're going to take casualties). If you're using single-entity units as your anvil then it's much easier for the charged units to react and reorient to face flank charges by cavalry even once the cavalry have engaged, which makes your hammer less effective.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

No mods. I use the Wedge formation, give run orders and provide plenty of space to run to initiate the charge. The next time I bother to fight a battle out I'll try to take some screenshots, absolutely.

The Bret formation is a victim of game mechanics- it makes bret cavalry a lot harder to use, stat buffs aside. Only use it if you conveniently get a few seconds to form up right before a charge, and turn it off before trying to pull out. In other words it’s micro hell to use it.

It has to do with how individual models interact, charge, and stick on each other in combat.

3K cav is more fun to use, and charging lancers into unbraced militia is basically, appropriately an instant deletion. But it also feels like cheating against the AI.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Here it is.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1308223665

This mod modifies the diplomatic options available to all races to be more restrictive based on the lore of how the various races interacted in the Warhammer world. Specifically the options limited are invitations to war, defensive and military alliances.

For example, Dwarfs are very distrustful and will no longer allow any Greenskins to invite them into a war, nor will they ever invite any Elves into any alliances. However Wood Elves and High Elves are still able to invite them into wars as they are still both races of order.
So while most remaining diplomatic option are bidirectional, a few are special.

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl
I think my crusade stacks that worked best had something 4-5 paladins and a few grail horsetanks (I always mix up which one has the epic MD unless I have the game open), couple blessed trebs, something like 3-4 archers, life sorceress, and the rest the grail horsebulldozers (again mix up which, sorry, but the other BAMF ones that aren’t the high MD ones).

Pallies and horsetanks could hold a line for the archers and trebs to pound then the horsedozers could get around on both flanks for some cycle charge shenanigans.

I’ll try to remember to pull an old save file and check later for specifics. I know in some cases I had to go to like 4 blessed trebs if the enemy army was stuff like tons of halberd tomb guard and constructs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Infantry has to accept losses if they see combat, outside of a best case like just shooting them all before they reach you. If you avoid a unit disband and get a flank off they did their job. Solo units won't occupy a big 40-80 unit squad at all aside from damaging and routing it. You need a little mass to hold enemy mass. Even T0 melee like zombies, skavenslaves and peasants will force the enemy block to engage them until the rout or the crumbling. You can have a small part of your cavalry do it, you just need bodies occupying bodies, then have the majority of your guys ride into them from the side or back while they physically can't turn to brace. Once a squad is stuck in they can't easily do much unless they have a large mass advantage or can fly or something.