Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
A coffee shop opened in my hometown and it was THE BIGGEST DEAL. They sold a sandwich made of ricotta cheese and lettuce. Just the squeakiest, wettest thing.

It still exists, but as a diner that closes at 3 pm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

appropriatemetaphor posted:

:psyduck: why would you want to go to a coffee shop that's empty. can sit around and read alone at home.

because i dont go to coffee shops to sit and read or do poo poo on my laptop. i go to get coffee

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

OMGVBFLOL posted:

because i dont go to coffee shops to sit and read or do poo poo on my laptop. i go to get coffee

I go to coffee shops to sit and read in a comfortable environment, and I sure as gently caress don’t want to sit in some poorly lit, rest-stop-on-a-highway looking rear end place

Jisei
Dec 22, 2004

A tiny bundle of supressed instincts held together by spit and caffeine.

Zeinin posted:

However 20 grand will get your dick ripped off. You probably need 50 or 100.

Don't compete on price. Retards like me only notice of the bill is over six bux. Charge out the rear end and use some real milk that comes in glass bottles, and make a huge loving deal about it. Get a good espresso machine and a decent grinder and practice on at least 200 cups before you even think of serving a customer.

OP, this guy knows what he's talking about. I bootstrapped a coffeeshop a couple of years ago and despite getting a screaming deal on a roasting machine*, already owning a 3-group La Marzocco Linea that I'd rebuilt the previous year in my garage as a hobby project, doing the buildout by myself, and getting a $600/mo lease, it still cost me about $50k all in to open the doors, and that didn't include a single day of payroll or income after opening.

I'm not saying it's impossible to do it for less, but...it's not likely, if you intend the place to stick around. Doubly unlikely if you spend all this remaining savings just to open the doors and then can't cover payroll or vendor invoices. The day your milk vendor stops coming, you're dead.

(* I know OP isn't looking to roast but I spent what a new LM GB5 costs so it works out the same)

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?

Jisei posted:

OP, this guy knows what he's talking about. I bootstrapped a coffeeshop a couple of years ago and despite getting a screaming deal on a roasting machine*, already owning a 3-group La Marzocco Linea that I'd rebuilt the previous year in my garage as a hobby project, doing the buildout by myself, and getting a $600/mo lease, it still cost me about $50k all in to open the doors, and that didn't include a single day of payroll or income after opening.

I'm not saying it's impossible to do it for less, but...it's not likely, if you intend the place to stick around. Doubly unlikely if you spend all this remaining savings just to open the doors and then can't cover payroll or vendor invoices. The day your milk vendor stops coming, you're dead.

(* I know OP isn't looking to roast but I spent what a new LM GB5 costs so it works out the same)

What happened to the coffee shop?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Shamino posted:

There is no way you are not a troll holy poo poo

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

This has been established. We’re just waiting for the headshot.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Have you considered doing a collab with 3O and using some of his Keurigs?

Synthetic Dreams
Jul 19, 2005

by Cyrano4747

Shamino posted:

I've been unemployed since January and am trying to figure out my next career move. I have a lead on a spot in a lovely part of town for $900/mo and figure it'll cost me about $20,000 all in to get the place open, which is about 90% of the savings I have left. It's near a busy intersection and an office park so there is plenty of vehicle traffic. If I can do even 200 drinks/day (just 25/hr assuming I'm open from 5-2) it'd take care of all my bills and then some.

Also there is no need for a vent hood. What say you goons.?

Sounds good, but be sure to hire from the lovely part of town or take your gentrifying rear end and gently caress it with a rusty fork.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Synthetic Dreams posted:

Sounds good, but be sure to hire from the lovely part of town or take your gentrifying rear end and gently caress it with a rusty fork.

Hire? They plan to run the place solo lol

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Hire? They plan to run the place solo lol

Oh, now THAT is an idea.

OP, if you theme your coffee shoppe after the seminal film Solo: a Star Wars Story, I will fly to Houston or whatever and buy at least fifty dollars' worth of products from you.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
do a cafe con piernas, op.you can sell the worst coffee on earth and still make all the money

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Shamino posted:

It's name is STARBUCKS Einstein and everyone loves it and claps.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?

Zeta Acosta posted:

do a cafe con piernas, op.you can sell the worst coffee on earth and still make all the money

No I'm not going to do a titty bar coffee shop. I do have a local woman who makes Mexican breads who said she'd be happy to supply the shop. Before goons go apeshit this is allowed in Texas under a certain volume per year. It we hit that volume there are "cloud commerical kitchens" when you can rent space by the hour for that stuff.

I did have lunch with my CRE broker today and he showed me half a dozen spaces where owners ran out of money waiting on permits, even though the space.was 50-90% done. Apparently this last year has been really awful to deal with even though the city claims significantly different.

This is pretty discouraging, he did suggest we could request total rent abatement until an occupancy permit is issued but thats ultimately up to the landlord.

ELI PORTER
Sep 16, 2007

I posted on Something Awful and all I got was this lousy t-shirt
when ive been stuck on I10 for 45 minutes trying to get to my job at the Chevron Factory, there's nothing more I want than to risk my life negotiating the Gessner exit for a primo cup o joe :coffeepal:

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I'm one of those lucky/unlucky people who metabolize caffeine so fast it has zero effect on me, have you thought about how you're going to attract people like me OP? We caffeine-immunes generally have more money because we're not pissing it away on coffee every day.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Shamino posted:

No I'm not going to do a titty bar coffee shop. I do have a local woman who makes Mexican breads who said she'd be happy to supply the shop. Before goons go apeshit this is allowed in Texas under a certain volume per year. It we hit that volume there are "cloud commerical kitchens" when you can rent space by the hour for that stuff.

I did have lunch with my CRE broker today and he showed me half a dozen spaces where owners ran out of money waiting on permits, even though the space.was 50-90% done. Apparently this last year has been really awful to deal with even though the city claims significantly different.

This is pretty discouraging, he did suggest we could request total rent abatement until an occupancy permit is issued but thats ultimately up to the landlord.

If you legit want to work this go hit a farmers market up. I see dudes hussling their coffee business at them. Hell I have a family member that has a successful food business that started at one in San Antonio..but it did require 90 hour weeks and a spouse working a full-time job on top of it for awhile before they were successful

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Shamino posted:

Just throw your $20k in the garbage and close the thread already, this is getting boring

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

A couple places by me started as pop ups in art galleries, then got like permanent poo poo later in the gallery. But I guess that might not work in an empty auto garage.

Start an art gallery maybe?

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
use the 20k to fix the auto garage and run that instead

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Just throw your $20k in the garbage and close the thread already, this is getting boring

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Don't do this, at least buy up $20k worth of coffee beans just to document what that looks like

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Buy $20k in gift certs to nord vpn and SA.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Shamino posted:

Maybe your $20k could get a location to 95% complete for the failed business that comes after yours.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Just throw your $20k in the garage and close the thread already, this is getting boring

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

You can get a kilo of cocaine for about $20k and sell it instead. You wanna sell stimulants, then sell stimulants. Idiot.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
You can also just do a kilo of cocaine but you might die

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
I already booked a two week summer vacation in the lovely part of Houston, don't you dare gently caress me over OP!

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Yep, thread done, op shameful

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Maybe the world is finally ready for artisanal, fair trade, certified organic cocaine.

ELI PORTER
Sep 16, 2007

I posted on Something Awful and all I got was this lousy t-shirt

Thumposaurus posted:

Maybe the world is finally ready for artisanal, fair trade, certified organic cocaine.

the cia going to take you to a black site for this one!!!

naem
May 29, 2011

always thought a coffee shop would be a good way to launder money

like if you had about $2 million bucks and needed a cash only business to pump the funds into (for some reason I always imagine a jewel heist, with boats)

even then i’d expect to lose a significant amount of that money on purpose to make it look like a real business.

buy really fancy expensive name brand equipment and decorate the heck out of the place with stainless steel and exposed brick etc etc, get as much insurance as possible on it all, only hire really attractive baristas who you pay well so the place looks plausibly successful

I’d expect to “write off” a couple hundred thousand. maybe if you set it up on paper as a business you can sell in a few years, sell the equipment used at a loss for tax purposes etc etc for damage control

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I'd be on board with that, if it's the kind of money laundering joint that manages to go the extra mile and somehow has great coffee. Like a "yeah, I know it's a mafia front, but the pizza's actually pretty good" kinda thing.

naem
May 29, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'd be on board with that, if it's the kind of money laundering joint that manages to go the extra mile and somehow has great coffee. Like a "yeah, I know it's a mafia front, but the pizza's actually pretty good" kinda thing.

one day my jewel heist friends walk into the successful business I started accidentally with “just one more heist for old times sake” and my hot younger barista girlfriend says “no baby don’t go I’m pregnant” but they’re holding all these boat catalogs and the new CrissCraft lineup has all leather seats and then the FBI busts in and that’s when I wake up and have to go to my office worker job

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Burt Sexual posted:

It's not really trolling though when you specifically say you're being completely earnest in your questions, it just makes you a boring lying idiot.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

SilvergunSuperman posted:

It's not really trolling though when you specifically say you're being completely earnest in your questions, it just makes you a boring lying idiot.

I kind of stopped caring whether people posting on the internet are trolling or not years ago. It's just not a hill I'm invested in dying on.

That said, "I'm going to make lovely business decisions" isn't a clever or outlandish troll; it's a dreadfully common real life thing that actually happens every day.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Burt Sexual posted:

Please put a bullet in it

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Hilariously enough, laundromats are great for laundering money.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

Crystal shop:

Adjacent space that needs a lot of work:

Space I'd like to get but haven't heard from the CRE broker on:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Shamino posted:

Adjacent space that needs a lot of work:

Space I'd like to get but haven't heard from the CRE broker on:

Are you sure these captions aren't backwards?