Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Rinkles posted:

how risky would a mid playthrough switch from ordinator to vokrii be (after resetting perks)?

If they’re just perk overhauls, it should be fine. Worst case scenario is you lose/gain a few perk points?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Rinkles posted:

how risky would a mid playthrough switch from ordinator to vokrii be (after resetting perks)?

just clean your save after you uninstall ordinator and you should be fine

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Sorry, what does cleaning entail?

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
I'm looking to switch over from Legendary to Special Edition, but I have kind of a lot of mods and would rather not start over.
Google's not turning anything up, but is there some sort of tool to help with this? Like, to see what's been ported and what hasn't all at once instead of individually, stuff like that?
Edit-- I need to switch from ModOrganizer to Vortex too, right?

Captain France fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Dec 28, 2019

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Captain France posted:

I'm looking to switch over from Legendary to Special Edition, but I have kind of a lot of mods and would rather not start over.
Google's not turning anything up, but is there some sort of tool to help with this? Like, to see what's been ported and what hasn't all at once instead of individually, stuff like that?
Edit-- I need to switch from ModOrganizer to Vortex too, right?

Short answer: you have to start over.

The good news is that almost everything has either been converted or can be made compatible with a little effort and there are guides and even some automation tools that will help if you're working with a pre-made list.

There's a version of Mod Organizer that works with SE but it may be newer than what you're using now.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

docbeard posted:

Short answer: you have to start over.

The good news is that almost everything has either been converted or can be made compatible with a little effort and there are guides and even some automation tools that will help if you're working with a pre-made list.

There's a version of Mod Organizer that works with SE but it may be newer than what you're using now.

Is the new Mod Organizer better than Vortex? Or even just "as good but easier to switch to?"
Also, those automation tools might be exactly what I'm looking for, I'm going to look into those. Thanks.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i really dislike vortex and think MO2 for sse works great. Cheers

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

I ditched Vortex for MO2 and haven't looked back. Confirming it works great for SSE.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Vortex is terrible because it auto sorts your load order which is good for the lowest common modding denominator but turns out you really don't want that if you've any sort of complicated setup! MO2 has a better featureset and it's industry standard for a reason.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Wait what industry

timn
Mar 16, 2010
You can override the load order in Vortex :ssh:

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

It took a bit of getting used to but I like how Vortex lets you set rules for Mod A always loads before/after Mod B no matter where in the order they end up, so for example compatibility patches and whatnot can always stay below the main patches if you shuffle stuff around.

That said, I’m gonna be using MO2 when I do a Legacy v5 install next month. Haven’t used MO since I switched to SE and I miss it.

Edit: fixed an autocorrect gone wrong

Internet Wizard fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Dec 28, 2019

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

GunnerJ posted:

Wait what industry

High fidelity titty mods.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

High fidelity titty mods.

On mudcrabs and dragons.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Internet Wizard posted:

It took a bit of getting used to but I like how Vortex lets you set rules for Mod A always loads before/after Mod B no matter where in the order they end up, so for exa
PME compatibility patches and whatnot can always stay below the main patches if you shuffle stuff around.
You do this with LOOT rules in MO

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Threep posted:

You do this with LOOT rules in MO

Never looking back, then. Adios vortex

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

Rinkles posted:

Sorry, what does cleaning entail?

I believe its just:

1.Uninstall ordinator 2. Load your game and 3. Make a new save. 4. Quit and then install vokrii.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I don't know how necessary it is, but I usually wait 24 hours in between my old save and new.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
I would like to chime in to sing the praises of Convenient Horses. Unmodded horses are so inconvenient that I simply never use them. This mod is excellently named. Being able to summon my horse after a dungeon crawl that spit me out on the other side of the map makes me actually want to have it. I love that my follower can mount up now too. Everything about it is great really.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Skwirl posted:

I don't know how necessary it is, but I usually wait 24 hours in between my old save and new.

24 hours in-game or IRL?

In-game I believe the magic number is 72 hours to reset cells (except for persistent cells like player houses). IRL shouldn't matter.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Is there a mod for SSE that allows me to shove NPCs vs the other way around? Im running Extensible Follower Framework if that matter at all, but being in a dungeon and having myself pinned against a brazier and wall because Lydia, a Dog, and Valdimir want to walk inside of my character model is getting old fast. I just had Lydia decide to walk in me and shove me off the temple of Dibella in Markoth from that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Cat Mattress posted:

24 hours in-game or IRL?

In-game I believe the magic number is 72 hours to reset cells (except for persistent cells like player houses). IRL shouldn't matter.

In game.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

winterwerefox posted:

Is there a mod for SSE that allows me to shove NPCs vs the other way around? Im running Extensible Follower Framework if that matter at all, but being in a dungeon and having myself pinned against a brazier and wall because Lydia, a Dog, and Valdimir want to walk inside of my character model is getting old fast. I just had Lydia decide to walk in me and shove me off the temple of Dibella in Markoth from that.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/752

Check out the above

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I can second Move It Dammit, it is both perfectly named and has worked like a charm for me

also I've been thinking of playing Enderal, does it actively need any QoL mods? I liked Nehrim so I figure it'll be "good enough" as is but I'm still asking

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

No nehrim is fine out of the box.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

winterwerefox posted:

Isn't that why you normally get the shout "FUS!" before you get your first tagalong?

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Holding the sprint key makes people move out of your way pretty well, too. The Mage’s Guild stairwell isn’t still hell though

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I can second Move It Dammit, it is both perfectly named and has worked like a charm for me

also I've been thinking of playing Enderal, does it actively need any QoL mods? I liked Nehrim so I figure it'll be "good enough" as is but I'm still asking

There's a respec mod and one that lets you skip the intro if you're the type to restart a dozen times before settling on a character, that's all I can think of. The only other ones i use are all small tweaks that make the game slightly easier (map markers for collectibles, better loot from specific unique enemies)

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Dec 30, 2019

Jayme
Jul 16, 2008
I recently bought a new laptop - is there any way to move my mods over, or do I just have to start redownloading them? I use Mod Organizer, so I don't have the individual mod files anywhere (as far as I know).

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Jayme posted:

I recently bought a new laptop - is there any way to move my mods over, or do I just have to start redownloading them? I use Mod Organizer, so I don't have the individual mod files anywhere (as far as I know).

If you use ModOrganizer as a portable install, and all the paths (steam, skyrim, etc) are the same, you can just copy/paste the whole MO folder over.

If not, you should still be able to copy all of MO's subfolders over.

Jayme
Jul 16, 2008

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

If you use ModOrganizer as a portable install, and all the paths (steam, skyrim, etc) are the same, you can just copy/paste the whole MO folder over.

If not, you should still be able to copy all of MO's subfolders over.

That worked perfectly - thanks!

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

It's 10 days to reset/respawn cells by default. 30 days for "cleared" cells.

I personally use my bashed patch "tweak settings" feature to change both those to 5 days, as I find the above to be a little ridiculous.

But I don't really think waiting in game is all that effective in "cleaning" your save. And I don't think it affects named npcs that don't respawn.

timn posted:

You can override the load order in Vortex :ssh:

Incredible. Vortex is still hot garbage.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Actually it's good!

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Ass_Burgerer posted:

But I don't really think waiting in game is all that effective in "cleaning" your save. And I don't think it affects named npcs that don't respawn.
It can be useful in certain cases. For example if you removed a mod that added some armor to the list guards use for their outfit. You'll will want to wait somewhere where there aren't guards until the game resets those npcs.

But other then that, it's doesn't do much. "Cleaning" your save is honestly one of those voodoo terms people like to throw around in Skyrim modding. Basically you need to be careful in two cases. First when removing mods that add items to NPC's inventories. If you load a save where the game expects a generic NPC to be wearing that Armoire of Vulnerability you just uninstalled, you will probably CTD.
Secondly with script heavy mods. More precisely scripts that run in the background and have registered events. If you remove that script without some uninstall procedure that unregisters the script, you will eventually end up with a hosed up save file.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

So I've been looking more into save cleaning, and I've been learning some stuff.

First, I have a program that's literally called "save cleaner." It cleans my saves of unused scripts and other junk that isn't tied to anything anymore. I've removed some mods recently and was surprised to see some of them left behind some save gunk.

Another thing, I found out a WAAAY easier way to reset cells:

ingame console:

setgs iHoursToRespawnCell 1
setgs iHoursToRespawnCellCleared 1

Then wait only 1 hour in a safe place like your home or something. BAM. Cells cleaned.

Then you'll want to reset the values back to whatever they were. OR you could simply close and relaunch the game, that would reset them.

I have this set to an easy to type "bat resetcells1" and "bat resetcells2" to change it back. God I love how easy it is to make shortcuts like that.

ankle
Oct 30, 2010

I've found myself with some free time on my hands and I've got a sweet new monitor so I've been thinking about plunging back into Skyrim with some mods- I've done a bit of modding with Skyrim before, but every time I've tried to extensively mod it something breaks and it's just a huge hassle. Is there any good mod pack that I can just plop into the game directory, or something easy like that? I don't care if I can't get granular with specific mods, I just want to change up the vanilla Skyrim experience. Working with the regular Skyrim + DLC, btw.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

ankle posted:

I've found myself with some free time on my hands and I've got a sweet new monitor so I've been thinking about plunging back into Skyrim with some mods- I've done a bit of modding with Skyrim before, but every time I've tried to extensively mod it something breaks and it's just a huge hassle. Is there any good mod pack that I can just plop into the game directory, or something easy like that? I don't care if I can't get granular with specific mods, I just want to change up the vanilla Skyrim experience.

Look into Wabbajack, there are a few different options for that.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Unfortunately whenever a good mod-pack solution comes out Arthmoor and his ilk come screaming out of the void to sabotage it as soon as possible. Wabajack loads are the best solution right now but have been hamstrung pretty badly so you’ll still have to do a lot of the setup manually.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
The number of extra tools involved always seems time prohibitive until I remember that the work of modding is the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Trip report: it froze my entire computer about ten times, and I stopped when it started bluescreening upon restart without even opening Steam again, let alone Enderal

I'm prettttty fuckin sure the problem's on my end but no clue how to diagnose

it's fun though I'm kinda sad I can't keep going I like the skill book system, sorta