Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Pants Donkey posted:

Food waste at walmart is downright criminal. I threw away literal tons of bananas, watermelons, sweet potatoes, and pumpkins because of either extremely limited foresight (duh let’s start to sell Halloween pumpkins in late August) or petty inter-company politics (regional manager gives us a literal ton or so of sweet potatoes...the last week of October so they’re all rotting before Thanksgiving and we have shrink out the rear end, thus making his store look good).

I just cannot fathom how we teach economic theory based on actors not only having perfect information but also being rational when literally anyone over the age of 6 realizes both of those are bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Proud Christian Mom posted:

I just cannot fathom how we teach economic theory based on actors not only having perfect information but also being rational when literally anyone over the age of 6 realizes both of those are bullshit.

Baby's first physics uses perfect spheres on a frictionless surface in a vacuum. These idiots just mever move past that equivalent stage in economics.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

i am harry posted:

Video game art surely is. Not counting a handful of people, like that rear end in a top hat who drew everything for Blizzard for its first 15 years, all of the professional artists are paid to make table textures for crumbs while the interns do all the concept and loading screen art for free because they’re idiots (that’s why like half of every game made has really mediocre loading screen art if there’s any art at all).

I can believe it but kinda funny given apparently Square-Enix made so much redundant assets and art for Final Fantasy XIII that they made two sequels to it basically just to try to use it all. Of course, every indication is that company is a total basket case internally.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

They make little or nothing on you man.

I spend close to 100k a year on staples/office depot throughout the year.

They are centered on business to business sales.

Seriously, they have giant empty mini warehouses (big box stores) and no trucks I've ever seen.

Couldn't you get a better deal for another office supply company

I've also never meet a sales rep for them.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Staples also has government contracts I'm pretty sure.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Richard Thaler is the prophet you are looking for.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I've worked in government (contractor) and can confirm. Contracts with Government and the DoD private sector are what keep Staples/Office Depots afloat.

That said I got my current "gaming" chair from Staples and am very happy with it. Their Printer toner prices are also very competitive.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I was in a Burlington's a few days ago, and they had a winter coat donation box.

This is the company that burns thousands of excess coats to keep prices high. Capitalism requires immense waste.

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

cunts are still running the show.
Do you have a source on Burlington burning coats? Sounds likely as I've heard employees of home improvement stores taking various items and putting them in the crusher per vendor instruction.. The vendor would credit them 'something' due to it not being worth the shipping costs.

Kind of like book retailers throwing away books that aren't selling, and since the publisher doesn't want to pay to ship them back the retailers would mail the ripped-off covers to the publisher as proof.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I know Abercrombie and Fitch would burn old unsold clothes because otherwise scary ugly homeless people might end up wearing them.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Nobody actually does this it’s just something ignorant people say about economics

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I’m an economics major and have heard so many people say things like “economists don’t understand [something stupidly obvious]” no you moron, economists understand it just as well as you and your hot takes, there are other factors at work. It’s like claiming scientists don’t understand global warming because the “scientists” who answer to Tormp’s base pretend it isn’t happening.

Also way too many people try to lecture me on Econ 101 bullshit. I didn’t do a bunch of loving derivatives without a calculator to put up with this poo poo :argh:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Xibanya posted:

I didn’t do a bunch of loving derivatives without a calculator to put up with this poo poo :argh:
...a calculator? What kind of derivatives have you been doing?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Xibanya posted:

I’m an economics major and have heard so many people say things like “economists don’t understand [something stupidly obvious]” no you moron, economists understand it just as well as you and your hot takes, there are other factors at work. It’s like claiming scientists don’t understand global warming because the “scientists” who answer to Tormp’s base pretend it isn’t happening.

Also way too many people try to lecture me on Econ 101 bullshit. I didn’t do a bunch of loving derivatives without a calculator to put up with this poo poo :argh:

Yeah, I feel the same way about getting a biology degree and being lectured at by loving anti-vaxxers.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I have a grad degree in linguistics and get the same thing once in a while.

The thing is, anything to do with economics isn't impartial... the oligarchy/capitalists/right-wing (call it as you will) is interested in maintaining the status quo, and any "research" done about the best way to do things is either going to be horrendously biased ("we need to lower taxes on job creators to stimulate growth!") or, if it does come out that things need serious change, it will be hushed up or propagandised to death by the right-wing media (which is all of them). The powers that be don't much care about into what taxonomic class one puts a new species of frog, but they will do anything possible to stifle any research whatever that says that governments need to raise wages, raise taxes on the wealthiest or any other idea that in any way inconveniences the extremely wealthy.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

DACK FAYDEN posted:

...a calculator? What kind of derivatives have you been doing?

derivatives don’t also involve basic arithmetic made faster with a calculator? What kind of derivatives have YOU been doing?

E: it's not like any of the arithmetic here is crazy but try having an exam with a million of these fuckers and tell me doing all the computation manually wouldn't wear you out

(source: http://www.columbia.edu/itc/sipa/math/calc_econ_interp_u.html)

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Dec 27, 2019

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

All economics is a completely solved equation

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Xibanya posted:

derivatives don’t also involve basic arithmetic made faster with a calculator? What kind of derivatives have YOU been doing?

E: it's not like any of the arithmetic here is crazy but try having an exam with a million of these fuckers and tell me doing all the computation manually wouldn't wear you out

number goes up in all of these equations, I assume?

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

JustJeff88 posted:

The thing is, anything to do with economics isn't impartial... the oligarchy/capitalists/right-wing (call it as you will) is interested in maintaining the status quo, and any "research" done about the best way to do things is either going to be horrendously biased

Nothing in academia is impartial. Every discipline is guilty of this, even those areas which don’t usually inform public policy. One of the strongest biases in academia, which might not be well-known to laymen, is the tendency towards self-aggrandizement and self-preservation.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

silence_kit posted:

Nothing in academia is impartial. Every discipline is guilty of this, even those areas which don’t usually inform public policy. One of the strongest biases in academia, which might not be well-known to laymen, is the tendency towards self-aggrandizement and self-preservation.

This can be observed in real science publication and discoveries from the beginning all the way through to the present. It’s no doubt amplified in the subjective fields like economics and art.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

One of my professors had a huge problem with most scientific research mainly because people don't publish studies where they prove they are wrong very often. Things not being true can be just as important.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Xibanya posted:

They were just poking fun because you're not really going to see derivatives like that much outside of introductory classes or calc for business majors or whatever.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

It is a spectacular waste of time and money for everyone involved and every time a DM or a store manager sees we're 'neglecting' the fish to get out the products people actually want to buy, we get yelled at. Heading into the Christmas rush, our only meat cutter was taken off of roasts and steak to price loving fish and then sent home. Nobody bought the fish. loving everyone complained we had no roasts or steak.
No words. That's absolutely stunning.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

They did a lot of work recycling waste heat from the refrigerator and freezer, compost basically everything that can be composted, and aggressively try to reduce shrink. Walmart really, really doesn't like waste.
Since moving to my area five years ago, my local Shaws has had open coolers everything except for milk-dairy. This past summer, they put cheap plexiglass-like doors on pre-pack produce, non-milk dairy, eggs, pre-pack meat. I think the only open coolers now are meat and one area of produce.

After seeing their installation, my immediate thought was "Holy loving poo poo! How much money are you saving by not cooling the aisles because it has to be an incredible amount."

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Xibanya posted:

wow, you had to pass through high school math exams? I am impressed with your degree now :v:

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Walmart is bizarre because even though they're the poster child for a lot of utterly abhorrent practices they're actually strangely environmentalist in a lot of their policies. One of the big things they did was push for laundry detergent to have less water in it as that's just totally unnecessary. One of the things that happened over the years was that detergent companies would be like "20% more free!!!!" while not telling you that they just added more water as a marketing ploy. That of course means less efficient water systems overall but also increased emissions from shipping more stuff for the same effective amount of detergent. Walmart went "no, no loving more. What are you going to do, tell us you aren't doing it? We're loving Walmart." They did a lot of work recycling waste heat from the refrigerator and freezer, compost basically everything that can be composted, and aggressively try to reduce shrink. Walmart really, really doesn't like waste.

Yeah, when it effects their bottom line. Upstream waste is bad, but customer waste is cool and good.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

pseudanonymous posted:

Nobody actually does this it’s just something ignorant people say about economics

let me tell you about a plucky young handsome fellow (who can totally beat you up if he wants to) named jrod

e: wait gently caress this isn't the libertarianism thread, well my point still stands that idiot libertarian hellfuckers exist

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I'm a college professor myself (of the humanities, granted), so please don't condescend to me. I realise that the term "impartial", like "perfect", is both subjective and an unobtainable goal that one works towards without ever being able to reach. What I meant is that, just like any left-wing dissenting voice, any research, even very rigorous research that has broad peer support is going to be utterly squelched and denounced by the pet economists of Charles Koch and the like. It doesn't matter if their contention is teaspoon shallow and utterly nonsense; you know as well as I do that they have the channels to shout more loudly than proper academics and that the average person will hear that over proper, well-informed arguments. Some libertarian "professor" from I believe Baylor (<snort>) went hammer and tongs a few years ago to prove that regulation hurt economic growth yet, despite his huge inherent bias and every effort to find some tenuous thread of proof for his sociopathic views, he eventually admitted that he found no correlation. If some scum like him draws that conclusion, that adds a lot of credibility, but do you think that that revelation is going to be widely shouted from the rooftops and spark a new wave of demand for government intervention in unfair economic practices? Of course not, for the reasons that I just stated. It goes beyond any inherent personal/departmental/academic bias into a state such that it is hostile to existing power structures and will be drowned out by those who have a vested interest in eliminating any dissenting voice.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

JustJeff88 posted:

I'm a college professor myself (of the humanities, granted), so please don't condescend to me. I realise that the term "impartial", like "perfect", is both subjective and an unobtainable goal that one works towards without ever being able to reach. What I meant is that, just like any left-wing dissenting voice, any research, even very rigorous research that has broad peer support is going to be utterly squelched and denounced by the pet economists of Charles Koch and the like. It doesn't matter if their contention is teaspoon shallow and utterly nonsense; you know as well as I do that they have the channels to shout more loudly than proper academics and that the average person will hear that over proper, well-informed arguments. Some libertarian "professor" from I believe Baylor (<snort>) went hammer and tongs a few years ago to prove that regulation hurt economic growth yet, despite his huge inherent bias and every effort to find some tenuous thread of proof for his sociopathic views, he eventually admitted that he found no correlation. If some scum like him draws that conclusion, that adds a lot of credibility, but do you think that that revelation is going to be widely shouted from the rooftops and spark a new wave of demand for government intervention in unfair economic practices? Of course not, for the reasons that I just stated. It goes beyond any inherent personal/departmental/academic bias into a state such that it is hostile to existing power structures and will be drowned out by those who have a vested interest in eliminating any dissenting voice.

I as well am a professor, some might even say I am the King of All Professors, but you still posted a wall of text and we have no way to check the veracity of your claim to confirm that you are indeed a professor, which is kinda pointless since your content should stand on its own without any appeals to authority anyway. And that content of yours doesn’t add many new insights.

And I’m an SA goon, so please don’t condescend to me either.

Mr. Smile Face Hat fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Dec 29, 2019

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I'm a test tube baby literally made out of and by professors. Come at me.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I had a college professor use the conveyor belt stage in Double Dragon as a metaphor once. Weird.

BrokenGameboy
Jan 25, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
Do you remember the metaphor?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It was how the overloaded US criminal justice system leads attorneys towards getting people to plea out rather than go to trial.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They do. Just like CDW. Big money, regular income.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I've worked in government (contractor) and can confirm. Contracts with Government and the DoD private sector are what keep Staples/Office Depots afloat.

That said I got my current "gaming" chair from Staples and am very happy with it. Their Printer toner prices are also very competitive.

That's because we (the government) are buying several thousand dollars of toner, per printer, at a go on regular intervals. It is astounding how much money is spent on toner for government...and we're one of the shops that has done it's damndest to get rid of all personal laser/inkjets deployed and continually consolidate to area printers.

TyroneGoldstein fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Dec 29, 2019

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

TyroneGoldstein posted:

That's because we (the government) are buying several thousand dollars of toner, per printer, at a go on regular intervals. It is astounding how much money is spent on toner for government...and we're one of the shops that has done it's damndest to get rid of all personal laser/inkjets deployed and continually consolidate to area printers.

My wife used to work for the EPA. The amount of paper they used was incredible. 20+ pages of boilerplate for a 3 page ruling, printed 6 or more copies to be sent around, even though the actual version that went into the federal register was sent electronically.........

(I'm not counting the amount of copies printer for the drafts and approval processes ether - that's a fully approved reg.)

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I am an alien thought-cloud formed by the memories of human professors of the past as they have accumulated in the 4th dimensional ring of pluto, and I say double dragon metaphors are good

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

TyroneGoldstein posted:

They do. Just like CDW. Big money, regular income.

Why is the government not buying toner for cost plus 15 like ever other major company

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

When it’s taxpayer money they’ll give their buddies a shitload more than they should. I work for the state and they rent out the building we work in and I guarantee you it’s for much more than anybody else would pay.

They even rent our lovely sub 500 dollar computers AND monitors.

Invalid Validation fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Dec 30, 2019

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
When the rental pool Dells get rotated out after 3 years it's awesome because you can buy them second hand for basically scrap prices and fulfil your own office's needs for computers that run Office and don't break on the cheap.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Cheesus posted:

No words. That's absolutely stunning.

In the days leading up to Christmas, we had severely reduced hours. This is because in retail ( or at least, with grocery stores ) the man hours distributed to stores is calculated based upon the sales of the previous week. When much of your sales revolve around EBT, this results in a slump toward the third week of the month that results in depressed hours on the tail end.

It doesn't matter that Christmas itself is well-known as a day of Big drat Sales in the grocery business- sales are down! Less hours for everyone!

On Christmas Eve alone, just the meat department did close to eight thousand dollars of sales in less than seven hours. The entire perishable department looks like a loving bomb hit it.

Under normal circumstances, we haven't enough time to do everything we're supposed to do. Under the gun, you have to start making rapid decisions with regard to the work that you choose to do. Note- management does not generally like it when and if you point this out to them, and will second guess any decision you make anyways, so it's best to make a choice, make it quickly, and execute.

Because of this labor shortage, we had things that arrived on ( or close to ) Christmas Eve that've not made it to the shelf, a slew of meat and sinew set to expire tomorrow, and the first. We're looking at close to a thousand dollars in meat that will likely not sell. If the person working that day is on the ball, if they pull it early and freeze it, we'll be able to donate it. If not, we'll be tossing a few hundred pounds of meat into the dumpster we chase homeless folk away from.

Then our shrink will go up and they'll cut labor. :downs:

The whole week got me thinking about how Trump's cuts to EBT are going to have a knock-on effect. It's not just going to make it harder for folk to get by- it's going to depress retail sales and result in workers across the nation getting less hours, which will result in them having less to spend on food, which- yeah.

Weeee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Freakazoid_ posted:

I am an alien thought-cloud formed by the memories of human professors of the past as they have accumulated in the 4th dimensional ring of pluto, and I say double dragon metaphors are good
I'm from Buenos Aires, and I say Double Dragon Metaphor 'em all!