Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.
Asking for a quick bit of advice. I have a 1st gen iPad Pro that is no longer holding a charge very well and I also would like some more storage. Here's what I use my iPad for...

- watching videos in bed
- surfing the web
- reading stuff

I'm thinking that a new pro may be overkill. Considering what I'm coming from, would a new air be similar or better performance-wise? I'll be missing the extra two speakers, but that's not a deal breaker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
In a classic goon non-answer, I’m going to say we had the same problem with the same iPad two months ago, and they gave us a refurb under the name of “battery replacement” for $100.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
In my experience, Apple bends over backwards for iPad Pro users. I’ve had my 12.9 replaced twice and they’ve never even charged me my AppleCare deductible.

It’s always worth a try. They don’t carry refurbished Pro’s in the stores anymore though, so it’s not as simple as when they’d just swap it out for you.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
On the topic of the 12.9, I love my new one, but I must say the battery life is a bit disappointing compared to what I was expecting. I can easily deplete it in a day. Is this in line with what others are experiencing?

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

hooah posted:

Got some more information about this one: she can text at least some numbers fine, but she definitely can't text me from the iPad. Her phone works fine.

Are the numbers that she texts actually imessage, and the numbers that she can't text non-apple devices (aka non-imessage)? With the new phone, I'd guess that you need to update the setting that allows text forwarding to/from the ipad.

See this: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208386

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Zauper posted:

Are the numbers that she texts actually imessage, and the numbers that she can't text non-apple devices (aka non-imessage)? With the new phone, I'd guess that you need to update the setting that allows text forwarding to/from the ipad.

See this: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208386

Could be. I think most of the people she texts (her whole family, for starters) have iPhones. I'll ask her to try texting someone in my family to test it out. Thanks.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I'm looking for suggestions for handling the following problem:

I have an iPad Air 2 from summer 2015 that I have kept in excellent kit, but time makes fools of us all and the battery life is slowly waning. I made an appointment with the nearby Apple store during my break week for US Thanksgiving to have what I thought was a new battery put in (the people on the phone with whom I spoke never mentioned that it would be a different pad entirely) only for them to tell me that they would give me a "new" (to me, I'm sure that it's refurbished) pad instead for $99. I had backed up everything on my iPad already and the model that they offered was several years newer than my current one, but I ended up not doing it as I am used to my current pad, I had no guarantee of the state of the battery in the replacement and also I would have had to purchase a new case; I could also tell that they were pressuring me to make a hasty decision, which sent my alarm off. Had it actually been a matter of just replacing the battery there, I would have done it. Deny it as I might, though, I'm going to have to do something with this one eventually and I am wondering if it's better to do an iSwap, even if I kind of don't want to, or take it to one of those third party places that presumably does just replace the battery, which I am also wary of for obvious reasons.

Has anyone been through this or, even better, worked in this area and can advise me? My tablet is important to me and I want to make a good long-term decision.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

JustJeff88 posted:

I have an iPad Air 2 from summer 2015 that I have kept in excellent kit, but time makes fools of us all and the battery life is slowly waning. I made an appointment with the nearby Apple store during my break week for US Thanksgiving to have what I thought was a new battery put in (the people on the phone with whom I spoke never mentioned that it would be a different pad entirely) only for them to tell me that they would give me a "new" (to me, I'm sure that it's refurbished) pad instead for $99. I had backed up everything on my iPad already and the model that they offered was several years newer than my current one, but I ended up not doing it as I am used to my current pad, I had no guarantee of the state of the battery in the replacement and also I would have had to purchase a new case; I could also tell that they were pressuring me to make a hasty decision, which sent my alarm off. Had it actually been a matter of just replacing the battery there, I would have done it. Deny it as I might, though, I'm going to have to do something with this one eventually and I am wondering if it's better to do an iSwap, even if I kind of don't want to, or take it to one of those third party places that presumably does just replace the battery, which I am also wary of for obvious reasons.

Has anyone been through this or, even better, worked in this area and can advise me? My tablet is important to me and I want to make a good long-term decision.

Apple’s refurb products are indistinguishable from new and all have new batteries. This pressure you felt I don’t think really existed; they probably just wanted to get you a new iPad. You should 100% take them up on the offer.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

JustJeff88 posted:

What country are you in? This was an actual Apple Store?

That's a hell of deal for $99. The iPad would have been Apple refurbished which means new battery, new casing if it's got anything wrong with it, and new LCD panel if that had any issues. It would also most likely have a 1 year warranty and the option to buy Apple Care. Cases are cheap.

So I'd say you chose poorly. I'd go back there as soon as loving possible.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Apple store refurbs are the better than new Apple products. Is that in the OP because it should be in the OP.

They’re cheaper and less likely to break because they’ve already survived week 1 of use when most problems occur.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

hooah posted:

Could be. I think most of the people she texts (her whole family, for starters) have iPhones. I'll ask her to try texting someone in my family to test it out. Thanks.

Before you even test it, just go into the settings and make sure the right toggles are set. It’s far and away the most common reason for the problem you describe, and it’s because SMS messages need to be pushed from your phone to the iPad and vice versa, whereas iMessage and other internet protocol services can go straight to the iPad.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Before you even test it, just go into the settings and make sure the right toggles are set. It’s far and away the most common reason for the problem you describe, and it’s because SMS messages need to be pushed from your phone to the iPad and vice versa, whereas iMessage and other internet protocol services can go straight to the iPad.

This was it, thank you. I did the setup on her new phone, but I'm an Android user so I don't know about all the quirks.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Krispy Wafer posted:

In my experience, Apple bends over backwards for iPad Pro users. I’ve had my 12.9 replaced twice and they’ve never even charged me my AppleCare deductible.

It’s always worth a try. They don’t carry refurbished Pro’s in the stores anymore though, so it’s not as simple as when they’d just swap it out for you.

How’s this work if you’ve never had AppleCare on your iPad Pro? I bought a brand new first gen 12.9 in January 2018 from someone on craigslist. No issues, battery life is great (although I only use it for work), but I did crack the screen slightly (only a few cracks, not visible straight on which is how I use it for work). Could I easily get it replaced?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Jazz Marimba posted:

How’s this work if you’ve never had AppleCare on your iPad Pro? I bought a brand new first gen 12.9 in January 2018 from someone on craigslist. No issues, battery life is great (although I only use it for work), but I did crack the screen slightly (only a few cracks, not visible straight on which is how I use it for work). Could I easily get it replaced?

If you go to their support site, it will tell you. I believe screen replacements have a flat fee.

I think the reason that other person had a replacement option is because batteries=law suits and the iPad is so old they might not have batteries anymore. In that case replacing the iPad is the only option.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Jazz Marimba posted:

No, they don’t do any work on cracked iPads unless you pay for a display replacement - and this usually includes battery replacements. You might get a softie to help you out but I wouldn’t hold my breath.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
It also depends how the screen is cracked. An Apple support document was leaked a few years ago and some cracked screens are covered if it's a particular kind of crack without any signs of impact. The tolerances are so tight on smartphones and tablets that it's possible for the screen to crack without an accident. Those kinds of cracks are pretty rare though.

If you have multiple cracks then your's is probably not one of those spontaneous breaks.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

Krispy Wafer posted:

It also depends how the screen is cracked. An Apple support document was leaked a few years ago and some cracked screens are covered if it's a particular kind of crack without any signs of impact. The tolerances are so tight on smartphones and tablets that it's possible for the screen to crack without an accident. Those kinds of cracks are pretty rare though.

If you have multiple cracks then your's is probably not one of those spontaneous breaks.

I had one of these on my 10.5” pro where it was sitting on my table while I was watching a movie and it spontaneously cracked a hairline crack across the length of it. Scared the crap out of me and was louder than one would expect.

The Apple store rep couldn’t do anything themselves but documented it and escalated. Apple called me and said the deal was I could ship it in and they would inspect it and if there was no sign of impact I would get a free one and if there was evidence a replacement would be however much it was.

I ended up getting it replaced for free. This was outside my apple care window.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

funkymonks posted:

I had one of these on my 10.5” pro where it was sitting on my table while I was watching a movie and it spontaneously cracked a hairline crack across the length of it. Scared the crap out of me and was louder than one would expect.

The Apple store rep couldn’t do anything themselves but documented it and escalated. Apple called me and said the deal was I could ship it in and they would inspect it and if there was no sign of impact I would get a free one and if there was evidence a replacement would be however much it was.

I ended up getting it replaced for free. This was outside my apple care window.

I had that happen with the selfie camera on my iPhone 6. The camera module became unstuck from the front glass, which I guess was a known defect. The first time it happened within the AppleCare window. The next two times it did not, and I still got my display swapped for free. Went through three front panels Iike that in roughly about 2-3 years. Then got a refurb 6S and haven’t had the problem since.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

mediaphage posted:

Apple’s refurb products are indistinguishable from new and all have new batteries. This pressure you felt I don’t think really existed; they probably just wanted to get you a new iPad. You should 100% take them up on the offer.

This.

Also I worked at the Apple Store for a while, short of a manager doing some sort of override you were getting the exact same iPad.

Krispy Wafer posted:

A single hairline crack without an obvious point of impact. Actually used to see quite a few of those.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

In a classic goon non-answer, I’m going to say we had the same problem with the same iPad two months ago, and they gave us a refurb under the name of “battery replacement” for $100.

Same.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I. M. Gei posted:

How good is the Logitech Slim Folio Pro as far as drop and impact protection? Especially compared to something like an OtterBox?

My son just got a new iPad, and we got this case (or one just like it for 7th gen). It seems real solid. I like it a lot. Ten times better than my 10.5 pro with Apple keyboard cover (which stopped working a year ago) and dumb cheap amazon back cover.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I'm looking at getting an ipad but comparing the ipad pro to the ipad air i'm not really seeing what the difference is - aside from the $300 price difference. It looks like the pro has a slightly better display, and usb-c? Is that basically it, or is there anything else that's useful? Is the main point of the pro just usb-c or am I missing something?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What is your use case because the air would be gold enough for 90% of people.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Boris Galerkin posted:

What is your use case because the air would be gold enough for 90% of people.

that i have a technology budget that i have to use or lose is one of the primary use cases here, but it would basically be for loving around and potentially work stuff where dragging my laptop around would be overkill if that works well (it certainly didn't work well for my old surface 2)

work is basically word processing/logging onto citrix. but basically, what is the use case that separates the pro from the air?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I'm not sure if its worth the extra $300 to you but the higher screen refresh rate is very nice. And its also nice being able to easily transfer something from a windows computer now that the Pro is compatible with USB drives, I'm not sure if the air can do that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

evilweasel posted:

that i have a technology budget that i have to use or lose is one of the primary use cases here, but it would basically be for loving around and potentially work stuff where dragging my laptop around would be overkill if that works well (it certainly didn't work well for my old surface 2)

work is basically word processing/logging onto citrix. but basically, what is the use case that separates the pro from the air?
Assuming you're looking at Air vs. 11" Pro, and really, there's no particularly good use-case unless you're doing a lot of like photo processing on your iPad where a slight speed boost is actually useful. For word processing/Citrix, the Air is probably totally fine.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

evilweasel posted:

that i have a technology budget

Oh then just get the pro with the largest hard drive space you can without raising further questions since it’s not your money :v:

E: before saying that the pro has a “slightly” better screen, id go to the fruit stand or Best Buy or something to take a look at it in person. The Pros to me have a much nicer screen because it feels like the glass is the screen, whereas the older iPads felt more like a layer of glass over the screen. Also, just picking up a Pro without a case will feel like all those movies set in the future where they are holding impossibly thin devices.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jan 6, 2020

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I know the demo videos they load on stuff is carefully doctored to look mind blowingly good, but when the wife and I were in the Apple store trying to decide which one she wanted one of them (some mountain bike POV demo) it looked so much better on the 12.9 there was no discussion after that.. it was the one we had to have.

The gap between the 11" and the Air was similar.

It's all subjective but both of us reacted the same way so maybe there's something to it.

Subliminal Ninja
Aug 30, 2009
The pro hasn’t been updated in over a year so it may be worth holding off to see if anything new comes in March.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Subliminal Ninja posted:

The pro hasn’t been updated in over a year so it may be worth holding off to see if anything new comes in March.

1. This^^^

2. If I planned to use the Pencil a lot I’d go with the Pro, the Pencil 2 is worth the upgrade, esp if it’s not my money and I was planning to do actual work with the device.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The differences between the Pro’s and the Air’s has shrunk a lot. Screen is nicer, but not $300 nicer. Lack of a home button is good, but not a huge deal on a tablet. You’d probably be fine with a Pro and can use the money you save for a smart keyboard cover.

Apple’s next gen Pro will probably have a new screen technology that will differentiate it more and justify the higher price.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

The differences between the Pro’s and the Air’s has shrunk a lot. Screen is nicer, but not $300 nicer. Lack of a home button is good, but not a huge deal on a tablet. You’d probably be fine with a Pro and can use the money you save for a smart keyboard cover.

Apple’s next gen Pro will probably have a new screen technology that will differentiate it more and justify the higher price.

OP has a tech budget from work that’s “use or lose”

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
Don’t forget to add in the cost of the keyboard case for the air or the pro, and maybe the pencil.

The differences mainly come down to the 120hz screen which apparently also makes the pencil feel more responsive, USB-C, and slightly better usability with the keyboard and pencil which doesn’t come out easily on a spec sheet.

Otherwise I think the Air is the sweet spot for most people and the Pro makes sense for people that are on their iPads a lot.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Electric Bugaloo posted:

OP has a tech budget from work that’s “use or lose”

Maybe I’m reading it wrong, but I assumed that since OP is asking about it from a price difference perspective, that it’s a set amount of a budget, so I figured the difference for the Pro is out of how/her pocket.

If not, if it isn’t your money of course get the Pro.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I’m just gonna say that I rock a 2018 iPad at school and the Mk 1 pencil is good at being a stylus but is a big pain in the rear end to charge and store and having it be hexagonal and magnetic would help make it a lot more comfortable to use in a workplace setting.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
I like the Pro and all but ergonomics are kinda iffy, it’s slightly annoying to hold in the hands compared to the Air/old Pro because of the sharper edges. It’s manageable but would probably skew me towards the Air these days. But overall I like the Pencil 2 and the button free screen enough to justify the occasional discomfort.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Duckman2008 posted:

Maybe I’m reading it wrong, but I assumed that since OP is asking about it from a price difference perspective, that it’s a set amount of a budget, so I figured the difference for the Pro is out of how/her pocket.

If not, if it isn’t your money of course get the Pro.

it looks like if i got the fully loaded pro + keyboard folio i'd be paying a bit out of pocket. i'll find some way to use it all, but my thinking was basically if the pro is a waste of 300-400 bucks, then perhaps there's something else i would spend the $400 on. or perhaps not, and i'd rather have a nicer screen than not :v:

thanks all, all the advice was very helpful.

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

i have a problem while using the ipad pro with the folio keyboard. on messenger the autocorrect bar shows up right where the input box for the text is.
has anyone else had this problem, is there a fix. in the mean time i am pressing the icon to upload a picture and it raises the text box temporarily, but it kind of sucks to have to do that.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

NinetySevenA posted:

i have a problem while using the ipad pro with the folio keyboard. on messenger the autocorrect bar shows up right where the input box for the text is.
has anyone else had this problem, is there a fix. in the mean time i am pressing the icon to upload a picture and it raises the text box temporarily, but it kind of sucks to have to do that.

When I use a bt keyboard there is a lil icon at the bottom right that hides the suggestion bar. Annoyingly it comes right back the next time I focus an input box, but it might get you out of trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fr3lm0
May 25, 2004

NinetySevenA posted:

Tap the person’s name in the chats list. That usually fixes it for me.