Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat

Nuclearmonkee posted:

About 2.5 μs per mile which matters in the insane world of HFT

A market data provider upgraded their links from 10 to 100 gb and the traders were pissed because their latency went up by 3 microseconds. Months of complaining, executives getting involved. Nobody was willing to be the one to stand up and tell these guys to just suck it up.

Also Merry Christmas, enjoy your change freeze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Merry Christmas all!

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Merry Christmas IT goons.

May your pagers stay silent and your health checks return true.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
Merry Christmas, video warriors!

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

BrainMeats posted:

A market data provider upgraded their links from 10 to 100 gb and the traders were pissed because their latency went up by 3 microseconds. Months of complaining, executives getting involved. Nobody was willing to be the one to stand up and tell these guys to just suck it up.

Latency really matters in all that though. When you have computers trading fractions of a penny crazy-fast, 3ms is 3ms that your competition effectively knows the future and you don't. In the basement of the NYSE, all the cabling is done so every computer has the same physical cable distance from the switch, even if the computer is right next to it. There's even a private Atlantic undersea cable that was laid for the explicit purpose of shaving a handful of ms off trades.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
For those interested, read this book about high-frequency trading:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_Boys

It is incredibly frustrating how some brokerage houses actually bet against their customers in order to make a profit, but that is a huge detail.

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite
us != ms

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

BrainMeats posted:

Both those traders and executives deserve to get eaten by a sea monster. Eat all the rich. Happy Boxing Day.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug
Merry Christmas all powerful nerds.

I decided to change my habit and actually say something I am thankful for.

I am thankful for my boss and boss’s boss for cutting me some slack the last week we were in operation because my niece decided to sue me over *things* relating to my dads estate and they were super empathetic and saw how much anxiety it was causing me and were super cool. My group does most of the work when it comes to servers, VMs etc and we have been busting our rear end. They know this and it’s nice to be appreciated and cared for at work.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Both those traders and executives deserve to get eaten by a sea monster. Eat all the rich. Happy Boxing Day.

Not empty quoting.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I forgot to ask off til the end of the year, So I'm stuck with a nintendo switch and an empty office in case the balloon goes up. Pouring one out for all of those in a similar position.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I’m off until the 2nd, hell yeah. This is highly tempered by the fact that my mother will be here today.

Our Citrix license renewal is coming up, and I just got notified by my boss that we’re not renewing and are just gonna ride it out until we’re off of it in a year.

*adds “Realized $25k in annual savings due to Citrix license consolidation efforts” to resume*

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
That mirrors our relationship with Esri. We currently spend a not insignificant chunk of our budget on the annual license renewal. They said they wanted more money, more than our entire budget in fact. So we are just dropping them. I guess they prefer making no money over not making all the money.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

devmd01 posted:

I’m off until the 2nd, hell yeah. This is highly tempered by the fact that my mother will be here today.

Between some excess PTO I had to burn and a company holiday shutdown, I basically had the 16th through next week off. My kids also have 2 full weeks off school due to how the holidays fell. My wife doesn’t get PTO (:911:) so I took the hit and am watching them the whole time.

I am so ready to go back to work lol. Stay at home parents are loving saints, I could not do this full time. No one tells you when you have kids that holidays/vacations switch from a restful break to more exhausting than your normal work schedule. I am very jealous of any of you spending the holidays sleeping and playing video games :unsmith:

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

In 3.5 hours I am off until the 2nd, longest I've had off in a while; I am not counting my honeymoon in Europe because that was possibly more work than my job.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm back on january 6th having been off since this past saturday, but having a 2 month old baby and a sick wife I'm more busy now than at work.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
I've got 24 days of annual leave to take by the end of March, because I'm a loving idiot and love being at work so much apparently? Looks like I've got three months of three day weeks ahead of me.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

MF_James posted:

In 3.5 hours I am off until the 2nd, longest I've had off in a while; I am not counting my honeymoon in Europe because that was possibly more work than my job.

Giggity?

I envy you people. While my company gives Christmas day fully off and a half-day Christmas eve, the whole of December and through March is our busy time and we're heavily discouraged from taking PTO after the first of the year at all.

That said, in an hour I get to be off until next decade and play all the games I snagged on winter sale.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

MF_James posted:

I'm so glad my SO and I decided on a destination and then figure out the plans from there. I'm trying to plan one right now and I almost want to just say gently caress it and wing it again.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

cage-free egghead posted:

I'm so glad my SO and I decided on a destination and then figure out the plans from there. I'm trying to plan one right now and I almost want to just say gently caress it and wing it again.

We had fun, but holy poo poo was it tiring; we hit 7 cities in 15 days. Loved it, but would not do again.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Sup academia friends, having a guaranteed two week winter break is pretty nice yeah?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

CloFan posted:

Sup academia friends, having a guaranteed two week winter break is pretty nice yeah?

I'm paid like poo poo, but I have 30 days vacation a year, so yay? My workplace is shut down except for experiments that can't be turned off. They even turn down the heating over the holiday.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

CloFan posted:

:dance: Hells yea academia buddy!

I’m off from the 20th till the 2nd. But I get to update our ADFS ssl certs today because everyone wanted to bike shed the whole drat discussion.

30 min disruption? Oh my god no but be done at some other point.

I’m never bring up SSL discussions ever again. I’ll ask for forgiveness if it ever causes a problem in the future.

Narrator: it won’t.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
For about the 3rd time I've tried to script something but end up with the thing being so self-inconsistent and so full of special cases its not worth it and ended up just being a big waste of time.

Most recent was making it less frustrating to create DNS records, but there ends up being >25 different permutations of how things can be in terms of naming conventions, whether a given part of the name is a subdomain or not, whether a given part of the domain is actually a distinct zone within pdns, whether a particular subdomain exists at all.

Guess I'll just wait for pdns to get version upgraded enough that I can just set up external-dns instead.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/brysonbort/status/1210676006190751744?s=19

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Methanar posted:

For about the 3rd time I've tried to script something but end up with the thing being so self-inconsistent and so full of special cases its not worth it and ended up just being a big waste of time.

Most recent was making it less frustrating to create DNS records, but there ends up being >25 different permutations of how things can be in terms of naming conventions, whether a given part of the name is a subdomain or not, whether a given part of the domain is actually a distinct zone within pdns, whether a particular subdomain exists at all.

Guess I'll just wait for pdns to get version upgraded enough that I can just set up external-dns instead.
Just create every case each time

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

My new coworker is really cute, but she keeps falling asleep at her desk and won't stop farting.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

:3:

And mine just keeps asking to go out for walks and snacks.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

My new coworker is really cute, but she keeps falling asleep at her desk and won't stop farting.

Link is broken

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Start the new job tomorrow. I've been walking to work for the past 4 years, and am now looking at a 20-30 minute car drive. :smith:

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Hughmoris posted:

Start the new job tomorrow. I've been walking to work for the past 4 years, and am now looking at a 20-30 minute car drive. :smith:

Singing poorly in the car on the way to work is like the highlight of my morning.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Singing poorly in the car on the way to work is like the highlight of my morning.

I have listened to so many podcasts after having to change to driving to work.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is it broken for anyone else? It's showing up for me on two devices and three browsers.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is it broken for anyone else? It's showing up for me on two devices and three browsers.

Working for me

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Good doggo. Works here.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

I wrote lyrics and practiced my vocal lines for my EP during my commute two jobs ago.

I take the train. :D

no I didn’t. I drove.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Any of you work from home types get a furniture allowance? If so, how much did you get?

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Sickening posted:

Any of you work from home types get a furniture allowance? If so, how much did you get?

I get reimbursed for stuff directly related to my laptop: docking station, monitor, keyboard, mouse. Desk, chair and other whatnot is on me.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Agrikk posted:

I get reimbursed for stuff directly related to my laptop: docking station, monitor, keyboard, mouse. Desk, chair and other whatnot is on me.

Same. Work provided laptop, docking station, monitors, monitor stand, keyboard and mouse. The rest of my home office is mine.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Same as the other posters.

I work at home for my convenience, so I don’t mind paying for the furniture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

They allowed us to raid the office for chairs when they closed it, but I already had a Mirra 2 at home which was far better than anything they had.

Monitors and such were also fair game, but again I had better already at home so I passed. I ended up only taking my notebook and docking station.