Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Cassa posted:

Oh boy I found my two boxes of PSC 15mm summer uniform soviets, so now I have 200+ of them to deal with.

I might base some up as Germans just to get some quicker CoC in over the break.
I don't know if you saw it, but the 2019 Lard Annual dropped last week and the Western Desert PSC you asked about is in it (Totensonntag). Unfortunately, Nick used the uncorrected draft copy rather than the final copy (:cripes:), so there are a few errors in it. Nothing major, and I'll probably post the corrections on the TFL forums this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

Ilor posted:

I don't know if you saw it, but the 2019 Lard Annual dropped last week and the Western Desert PSC you asked about is in it (Totensonntag). Unfortunately, Nick used the uncorrected draft copy rather than the final copy (:cripes:), so there are a few errors in it. Nothing major, and I'll probably post the corrections on the TFL forums this week.

He didn't use Totensonntag2.v4.FINAL.EDIT.-REALLY.FINAL-.pdf?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Ilor posted:

Nice! Congrats on the PSC publication. :)

I'm away staying with my in-laws for three weeks over Christmas and New Years, so I'm kind of getting the cold turkey shivers from no painting. I'll try to calm myself by working on our Gazala 42 CoC sourcebook, which custom support lists etc. I also brought books on the 1906-7 campaign in Poland, on Austerlitz and on the various campaigns in 1813.

Today's Napoleonic plate is a Reuss (not Russian!) in Spain. He has an interesting mix of French webbing and backpack, but a single-breasted jacket and Hungarian breeches. And he brought a Good Boy Doggie.

Notice the many bits of cloth sewn onto elbows and knees. Those where othen sewn on when going on campaign, pre-emptively strengthening the parts that would see most wear and tear. But they could also of course be a later mending of a uniform that had already broken. I've started to add those a lot when painting campaign uniforms now, they add to the rag-tag look of experienced campaigners.

As a tiny German city-state, Reuss supplied two companies to the 6th regiment of the Rheinbund, where they were mixed with companies from Waldeck to form the 2nd battalion. Rheinbund regiments are a complete playground if you want to mix a myriad of uniforms: the Waldeck for example looked similar but with darker blue facings and grey breeches, while the 1st battalion was completely different, made up by Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt and Schwarzburg-Sondershausen wearing two almost identical versions of a dark green Preussian style coat with red collars:

So yes, minor German state rocks as you can have more variety in a single Regiment than you'll find in a single WW2 army.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Dec 23, 2019

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

The Perrys do a great range of Confederation Germans, and the store pages have nice diagrams that tell you who makes up the various companies:

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

BlackIronHeart posted:

He didn't use Totensonntag2.v4.FINAL.EDIT.-REALLY.FINAL-.pdf?
I know, right? How dare he!?! ;)

To be fair, I sent the amended version almost immediately after posting the first.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
May I have a helping of Bolt Action Tank Platoon rule clarification? The Command Tank provides a +1 morale bonus if either all the tanks are the same base model or if the command tank is a special command vehicle.

What is the range of that morale bonus? Whole table?

What if the 2 compulsory tanks are different? Is it that the +1 morale bonus still applies but the 5 point option for improved radio networks is no longer available?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Endman posted:

The Perrys do a great range of Confederation Germans, and the store pages have nice diagrams that tell you who makes up the various companies:

Nice! It’s tempting to do one of the smaller battalions, as you can get away with just four blisters.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
My favorite skirmish game is finally getting a new edition!

https://www.facebook.com/notes/studio-tomahawk/muskets-tomahawks/2245091065592925/

quote:

Muskets & Tomahawks, you say?

First of all, it is important to underline that former players will easily recognize their game. The format remains the same, the troops have the same characteristics, and if the D10 has replaced the good old D6 (allowing us to refine the possible results and modifiers) the core of the mechanics is identical. Why fix something that is not broken? Some aspects of the game, especially the close combat, deserved to be simplified and made more intuitive, but if there are many small changes, the basic mechanics will remain the same. Thus, your miniatures will shoot in a similar way, movement remains very similar, the spotting mechanisms are here, but many elements have been added, to give depth to the game. Thus, your units will be able to adopt a dispersed formation, you will discover that new results appear on the reaction table and that officers will be able to engage in duels of honour in the midst of the battle, among others!

The second element of the game we paid particular attention to was the use of cards in the game. Without going into detail, this is certainly the aspect of the game that has evolved the most. We wanted to make it more tactical by involving the players much more in the card game. So each side will now have a hand of cards, and in turn will have to choose one of these cards to play. We've added a command point mechanism that is used to trigger command abilities, and allows the player to exert some control over the necessarily chaotic aspect of Musket & Tomahawk skirmishes.

This system of command abilities was unanimously approved by our testers, and brings a lot to the game, as you will discover during your first games.

Finally, we wanted the Muskets & Tomahawks rulebook to be as comprehensive as possible. You'll find rules for dealing with a wide variety of situations, such as particular weather conditions, settlements, boats, the main weapons of the 18th and 19th century, as well as no less than 50 personal plots to customize your officers. In short, 80 pages full of information.

The rulebook does not contain troop lists. For this, we will release a range of supplements dedicated to different conflicts of the 18th and 19th century, the first of which, Redccoats & Tomahawks, will be available at the same time as the base rulebook.

Redcoats & Tomahawks deals with the French & Indian War, the American War of Independence and the War of 1812. You will find in this book the lists of the belligerent units (French, British, American, Natives), some specific rules, an asymmetrical scenario generator as well as a table of events adapted to the period.

We are already working on the second supplement, Shakos & Bayonets, which will take us to 19th century Europe during the wars of Napoleon. This second supplement is expected to be released later in 2020. After that, we plan to release new supplements more irregularly, to expand the possibilities of the game, while giving players time to fully enjoy each new period.

It needed an update because of some ambiguity, but now they're also adding other eras (like 1812 and Napoleonic), I'm even more excited.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Warlord specials got me thinking real hard about starting an aussie bolt action force.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Cassa posted:

Warlord specials got me thinking real hard about starting an aussie bolt action force.

North africa or western Europe?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

lilljonas posted:

North africa or western Europe?

Australian ground troops didn't fight in Western Europe, they were redeployed to the Pacific in 1942.
:goonsay:

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
I grabbed two of the british commonwealth boxes, so probably Africa will be easiest.
Gonna grab a Grant when the Infantry arrive from somewhere local.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
Nooo, go for the Pacific! Then you can field fuzzy wuzzy angels and argue about the portrayal of colonial troops in wargaming with your club mates.

Someday I'm going to model the priest/coast watcher that got convinced by his congregation that it's the shepherd's responsibility to go out and slay the wolf when his flock is threatened. So he got permission from the local bishop to arm himself.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Endman posted:

Australian ground troops didn't fight in Western Europe, they were redeployed to the Pacific in 1942.

Depending on what you'd count as Western Europe, (admittedly a small number of) Australian troops participated in the invasion of Italy.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Why would you field australians in any theatre when NZ is right there (in all the theatres)?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
My Perry 8th Army British have been played as Brits, New Zealanders, Australians, and South Africans! :eng101:

Endman
May 18, 2010

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Depending on what you'd count as Western Europe, (admittedly a small number of) Australian troops participated in the invasion of Italy.

I think you'll find, goonsir, that that was only the Navy not, as I mentioned, "ground troops".
:goonsay: :goonsay:

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Did ANZAC not stay in North Africa throughout 42 and 43?

Endman
May 18, 2010

Phi230 posted:

Did ANZAC not stay in North Africa throughout 42 and 43?

Nah, they were brought back home to fight the Japanese after one of the battles of El Alamein, but I can't remember which one.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
What does everyone use as their table base? There's a lot of places selling mousepad based material, but the impression I get is that you can't put books or hills underneath to make nicer hills.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Comstar posted:

What does everyone use as their table base? There's a lot of places selling mousepad based material, but the impression I get is that you can't put books or hills underneath to make nicer hills.

You can use teddy bear fur to get a nice wind swept field effect, should be flexible enough to put books under

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Endman posted:

Nah, they were brought back home to fight the Japanese after one of the battles of El Alamein, but I can't remember which one.

The remaining 9th Division was brought home after the second battle of El Alamein in January '43

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Comstar posted:

I went and spent about 80 bucks to make my own mat using a piece of canvas, acrylic caulk, ground sage, fine sand, small ballast and loaded of craft paint.

If I could do it all again I'd just buy this:
https://thewargamingcompany.com/products/static-grass-game-mat-5x7/

Endman
May 18, 2010

DiHK posted:

I went and spent about 80 bucks to make my own mat using a piece of canvas, acrylic caulk, ground sage, fine sand, small ballast and loaded of craft paint.

If I could do it all again I'd just buy this:
https://thewargamingcompany.com/products/static-grass-game-mat-5x7/

:eyepop:

It's a shame it's so drat big; I could use a 3x4' version of that.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Just 3x4? I made 6x4. I'll share some pics when I get up, you might colud make one 40ish USD.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Endman posted:

:eyepop:

It's a shame it's so drat big; I could use a 3x4' version of that.

You can get pretty much (by which I mean exactly) the same thing in 1000x1000mm sheets from Wish, that's where I first saw (and bought) one

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Dec 30, 2019

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

NTRabbit posted:

You can get pretty much (by which I mean exactly) the same thing in 1000x1000mm sheets from Wish, that's where I first saw (and bought) one

How's the quality/how likely is it to shed?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

NTRabbit posted:

Got a link? I can only see bed sheets :(

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer
I ordered one of those from Wish a while back. The material is fairly stiff, the back is some sort of thick polyester. It sheds flock like a large shaggy dog in spring. The texture is rough, so buildings won't be flush with the surface and some models may fall over. I'd save the money for something better. I can take some pics with models for reference if needed.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Anyone had bought a Cigar Box mat like this amazing Waterloo one

They look amazing and answer my question of what mat allows you to put hills under them and still work well.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Comstar posted:

Anyone had bought a Cigar Box mat like this amazing Waterloo

[quote="Comstar" post="501182396"]
Anyone had bought a Cigar Box mat like [url=http://cigarboxbattlestore.bigcartel.com/product/waterloo-4-x6-plus-180]this amazing Waterloo one

They look amazing and answer my question of what mat allows you to put hills under them and still work well.

I’ve made or purchased every type of mat under the sun so here is my halfassed review of your options. First, which mat you want really depends on what you’re planning on using it for. Some mats are better suited to certain things than others. Based on your last couple posts I’m guessing a Napoleonic type game with large units and a few major terrain features?

Here are your options:
Vinyl - Basically store banner material printed on one or both sides.
Pros: Cheap, lightweight
Cons: Shiny, wrinkles or wants to roll back up, easy to accidentally shift during gameplay

Cloth - Usually made of fleece, like a blanket, and printed on one or both sides.
Pros: Medium cost, cheap to ship, often comes in sizes larger than 6x4 so that you can place hills or whatever beneath them, sometimes washable
Cons: Print is often kinda fuzzy because of the material, small figures or terrain pieces can sometimes fall over because of the blanket fuzz not laying down flat

Canvas + Caulk - A canvas drop cloth smeared in caulk and paint. Then topped with grit and flocking.
Pros: Very cheap DIY option. Makes a pretty decent desert mat, unsure about how any other type of terrain would come out. Nigh indestructible if done right: you can fold it, throw it, whatever and it won’t take damage. Flexible enough to put terrain beneath it for hills.
Cons: Takes time and space to make on your own. Less terrain options. Pretty heavy once it’s finished.

Teddy Bear Fur - Made of soft fur - the same material a teddy bear is made of - painted or dyed. I recommend buying rather than making because it takes quite an investment in time and doesn’t come out much cheaper than just buying one premade. Check out Killing Fields Terrain.
Pros: Best looking, in my opinion, for grassy tables. 3D effect of the fur makes it look more real. Can place hills beneath the terrain.
Cons: PITA to make yourself. Fur can make individual guys or small terrain pieces fall over. Doesn’t really work outside of grassy areas.

Neoprene Rubber - Mousepad material, dyed on one or both sides. I recommend Deep Cut Studio or F.A.T. Mats.
Pros: Best quality of print. Sturdy. Grips table and miniatures well. Huge variety of options.
Cons: Expensive. Pretty much only lays flat.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

So heres mine, 6x4 on canvas. Used 10 tubes of caulk. I'm building this up for Adepticon, mostly just trees and fields left to make. If you go this route I'd recommend watching this guy do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXjNsRGjqqI

I managed to get some wrinkles in mine because I stretched the canvas over a 6x4 board. Ideally you should just iron out the creases and weigh it down on a surface that's larger than the mat. I don't know that it was that much cheaper to DIY, maybe 60 in supplies for me. And a significant amount of labor. THe flocked surface is not flush but it's low enough to not interfere with buildings/walls standing up on their own. Minimal shedding but I've sealed and painted the crap out of it. Stuffing things beneath it to elevation changes works just fine. The biggest advantage, IMO, is the ability to make custom roads/ground features.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Comstar posted:

Got a link? I can only see bed sheets :(

I think you'll like 100*100cm Micro Landscape Decoration DIY Mini Fairy Garden Simulation Plants Artificial Fake Moss Decorative Lawn Turf Green Grass. Add it to your wishlist!

https://www.wish.com/share/5572iscmpl

JcDent posted:

How's the quality/how likely is it to shed?

Haven't used it much, but so far the grass is fine, but the wood chips 'stones' come off easily, so I'm gonna try a light glue spray on it

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 30, 2019

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
When I get back stateside I planned on trying a hand at this method since it seems cheap, fast and modular.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNusO36n5VE

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
I don't have a huge review, but I've read the new Contact Front modern rules multiple times and played a game. I quite like the overall feel. There is a bit of vagueness but the author answers questions on the fb group.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Those buildings look great. Who makes em?

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Class Warcraft posted:

Those buildings look great. Who makes em?

Crescent Root Studio - tho they have a different set now

https://crescent-root.com/pages/Product/28mm/28mm_series1/28mm_series1.html

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Would love to hear more of your thoughts, it's a neat sounding game, but no one seems to be talking about it.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Cassa posted:

Would love to hear more of your thoughts, it's a neat sounding game, but no one seems to be talking about it.

Some basic stuff - it's very focused on ISAF vs Insurgents but I think it could be adapted to other asymmetrical engagements.

I hate spotting rules and there aren't any in this

Coalition forces have three tiers of wounds and have to roll to stabilize every turn or get worse, must be evaced. Lose firepower and movement speed when they have wounded. Insurgents take wounds but don't care about them in terms of firepower or movement, only lose guys once everyone in the team has taken wounds

Each turn you roll a D6 (for platoon level) and add it to the number of officers or noncoms in your force and that's how many teams can be ordered that turn

It's IGOUGO, not alternating

Insurgents hit (before modifiers) on a 7-10 on a d10, ISAF on a 4+ on d6.

Modifiers include obscured and did target move last turn

Morale is checked when a team loses a model

Each gun has a firepower value. Assault rifles are 1, UGLs are 2, LMGs are 2 or 3. Roll one die for each FP and hits can then be saved by target (5+ in natural cover on a D6)

Support options are included almost exactly like CoC

Rules for vehicles and air support are included but we didn't really do too much with them

Overall I think it's a really great start, with a lot of good ideas. There are quite a few vague parts with wording issues I think could have been fixed with more editing, but it's a good start, and it's what I want out of a modern wargame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Someone convince me to not finally give in to 28mm napoleonics with all this holiday loot money, and especially tell me why Joachim Murat, the dandiest man in a dandy era, and the neapolitans should not ever be collected.

Soldats! Faites votre devoir ! Droit au cœur mais épargnez le visage. Feu !