Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

logical fallacy
Mar 16, 2001

Dynamic Symmetry
Hello, yes I'd like 2/5 of a pound of roast beef and a goddamn liter of cola.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Thst video was insane. And I'm not sure if it's kess or more insane if he set those bits up.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
That's ElectroBOOM. If he didn't set those bits up, he'd be dead by now. I think he's an electrical engineer. That being said, he does genuinely hurt himself sometimes. Which was the one where his device fell on him? The Jacob's Ladder?

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Yeah, he's a EE. He mentions it in that video.

the jacob's ladder accident.
:kingsley:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lT3vGaOLWqE&t=478s

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
The stuff he does is all setup: though that doesn't make it less impressive because the pain and the explosions are real.

I believe the crap construction part was just something that he came across by random showing that no matter how you plan something that appears monumentally stupid, a contractor can effortlessly do something worse.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

And two Weys of wool make a sack, And 12 sacks make a last. But a last of herrings contains 10 thousand, and each Thousand contains 10 hundred, and each hundred contains 120.
A last of leather consists of twenty dicker, and each dicker consists of ten skins.
Also a dicker of gloves consists of ten pairs, but a dicker of horse-shoes consists of twenty shoes.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Wish I could find anything more on this house:

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Megillah Gorilla posted:

This is the hill I will die on.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Kinda looks like a nail house somewhere.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Evil lair on a budget.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

poemdexter posted:

This is the hill I will die live on.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Reminds me of China where if a construction company is buying land for a site and one owner refuses, they will carve the land around you just like that and later buy it for a penny when the lot has been abandoned.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Hobbit condo.

cyberbug
Sep 30, 2004

The name is Carl Seltz...
insurance inspector.
Happy new year, here's a bunch of crappy construction from 2019 (well, discovered in 2019 at least): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxnZ7Fbp6rc

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Everyone should at least watch 4:13.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Platystemon posted:

Everyone should at least watch 4:13.

Life hacks!! Scoop lizard(s) from pool.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

The lizards eat the legionnaires.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
If you don't watch another minute of it you miss out on a really relevant item.

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

cakesmith handyman posted:

I'd give it no more than 13/32.

:golfclap:

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

4:47 is the rare reverse beatmastrJ

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Some counties in Arizona don't require building permits. Here is why that is a bad idea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD0v-h6ncRA
I feel like you have to try to build something this poorly.

schmug
May 20, 2007

Youth Decay posted:

Some counties in Arizona don't require building permits. Here is why that is a bad idea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD0v-h6ncRA

I think we have a winner, folks. I'm at a loss.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
I had to stop when I got to the roof joists that are not actually roof joists, just sideways 2x4s screwed into the bare fiberboard roof panels and cut a few inches short of the wall supports

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Pretty sure my friends and I made a better structure out of literal scrap wood in my friend's backyard when we were 10.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

stealie72 posted:

Pretty sure my friends and I made a better structure out of literal scrap wood in my friend's backyard when we were 10.

Living in a still-being-built neighborhood during my childhood provided ample construction materials

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Happy new year everyone, this fucker just blew out at mains pressure, two floors up :waycool:

Looks to me like that's not actually a copper fitting? Though of course if there was an olive in there it's now been rocketed off into space by the pressure.

This is the second time a shoddy/cheap connector fitted by a previous owner has blown on me.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
How.....how do you put nails/screws in THAT badly...like they're all hosed up.

is it meth!?

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

stealie72 posted:

The deluxe, multi-tree fort my buddy and I built when we were 12, with construction site dumpster lumber, was about the same quality. We didn't have the advantage of a dry climate and our 'foundation' was literally moving every minute of every day. It was still standing long after we both went to college, though I'm not so sure a 200lb+ man would want to spend too much time on the floor with 'joists' that spanned 10 feet between trees.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Happy new year everyone, this fucker just blew out at mains pressure, two floors up :waycool:

Well, there's a small smooth section on the copper pipe that might have been where a brass cinching ring used to fit snugly. So it might have been the right kind of fitting, just not a brand/type I've seen before.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

PurpleXVI posted:

Well, there's a small smooth section on the copper pipe that might have been where a brass cinching ring used to fit snugly. So it might have been the right kind of fitting, just not a brand/type I've seen before.

The flex hose is attached to an IKEA tap I think so possibly something specific to them?

Also this was an excellent time to find out that your stopcock doesn't stop, or doesn't stop that loop anyway.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

The flex hose is attached to an IKEA tap I think so possibly something specific to them?

Also this was an excellent time to find out that your stopcock doesn't stop, or doesn't stop that loop anyway.

Generally I'd suggest buying nothing plumbing-related from IKEA, they have a terrible habit of a bunch of poo poo that's specific to them and interacts with no local standards, so if something breaks or needs replacing, good luck.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Youth Decay posted:

The sink, at about 7:30 :stonk:

To turn on the water, plug in the pump to what looks like a 12v power supply. Once you're done and need to turn off the water, you have to grab the plug (likely with a wet hand), and unplug it. From what I remember about 12v supplies, they tend to run higher amps...so good luck on the heart stoppage.

This is a house where you could actually be laying down to sleep while staring at the stars, and you suddenly wonder "where the gently caress is my ceiling?" and not have a good answer for that question. Did it finally cave in? Did the wind steal it? WHO KNOWS

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Youth Decay posted:

Is this some AirBnb place? He mentions in the video that he stayed in this "home"

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

brugroffil posted:

Is this some AirBnb place? He mentions in the video that he stayed in this "home"

Yeah, in the video description he says it's a rental cabin that he stayed in for a night; he emailed the owners about the imminent danger the cabin represents, but they never replied

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Youth Decay posted:

:yikes:

I thought it was bad when they made the roof out of MDF and had a million water intrusion points in the membrane, but it just kept getting worse. Holy poo poo.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Load bearing art

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Spotted today in South Carolina.

I have no idea.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Scarodactyl posted:

I have no idea.

Temporary bracing until the porch is rebuilt?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah looks like a building being moved or having just been moved, with bracing where there should be/will be/used to be pillars.

E. on closer look though, the windows would likely be boarded up before moving, and the base plates are in bad shape, and there's other issues, so it may be the new porch or some very significant foundation work being done or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Scarodactyl posted:

Spotted today in South Carolina.

Longer eaves = less water damage