Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

OxySnake posted:

True, you might have job security, but I honestly think that Garrett got this far because he was a suck up and there is nothing Jerry loves more than a suck up, and hates more than anyone who dares disagree with him.

Also on Pat's Coach chat, based on every other coach who has come out if NE howbling until Patricia makes a move to be his own GM?

Edit: VVVVVVVV

He deserved a shot, I mean he made Case Keenum look like a pro bowler for a year.

I think it's part rear end kisser part jerry not wanting to admit he was wrong about him. Either that or hes his illegitimate son

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Grittybeard posted:

Based on his year in St Louis I'm not sure we can say this.

That was the year the Rams had to panic trade for Brandon Lloyd midseason because the other starting wide receivers were Brandon Gibson, 5 games of Denario Alexander, Greg Salas, Austin Pettis and Mike Sims-Walker.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

We know that Tom Brady is a good quarterback when he's coached by not-McDaniels. There's zero evidence that McDaniels is any good of a coach when he's coaching not-Brady.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Garrett isn’t going to get fired. He’s just not getting a new contract. He’s at the end of his current one.

I honestly could see him get a one year contract or something dumb like that, too.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

I don't think of the Giants as being the real big dumbasses here. They made a dumb hire, but they are thinking about the guy after Gettlemen, who will want to know that he isn't getting a shorter plank to walk just because the last guy did a belly-flop off it. Bad ownership makes it so that only bad hires are available.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
I kinda feel like the game has passed Gettleman by, big time.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Yeah, I agree. The longer the Giants keep him in the power the longer they'll be near the bottom of the league. There is absolutely no point in keeping him around.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Josh McDaniels and Baker Mayfield is a match made in purgatory.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Nodoze posted:

Not sure why you would want to get rid of Dorsey in Cleveland unless it comes out he is actually secretly a moron and was responsible for enabling Kitchens. Now Gettleman on the other hand...

Dorsey's problem is he gets talent and names at any cost and doesn't really "build" a cohesive team. He basically throws a bunch of people at the coach and tells him to figure it out.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

https://twitter.com/alexmarvez/status/1211666689336729600

https://twitter.com/Cardschatter/status/1211665598486179840

i'm ok with that.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

We didn't hire Dave Gettleman to fire him.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Hasn't McDaniels turned down the Browns twice already?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/adamschefter/status/1211677602508922880?s=21

Its gonna be Jason Garrett

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Hasn't McDaniels turned down the Browns twice already?
Supposedly he was very interested in the Browns last offseason but only got a serious interview with the Packers. He ultimately dropped out of other interviews when he didn't get the Packers gig.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-coaching-rumors-josh-mcdaniels-enthusiastically-interested-in-coaching-browns-baker-mayfield/

quote:

McDaniels is enthusiastically interested in the Cleveland opening. The Browns have used back channels to indicate a mutual preliminary interest, but they have not invited him to an early interview. The Green Bay Packers did, and he said yes.

Browns General Manager John Dorsey has been good at cloaking what he is up to, including in the eyes of some obvious candidates. However, indications are that McDaniels is a very serious candidate.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

That tweet is already gone.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Gone.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
dave gettleman drafted a nose tackle 17th overall, and gets to keep his job

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1211678384452964353

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

LabyaMynora posted:

That tweet is already gone.
it just said the giants are interested in McDaniels and Matt Rhule, I was mostly joking about Garrett.... maybe

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

corn on the cop posted:

dave gettleman drafted a nose tackle 17th overall, and gets to keep his job

And traded a 3rd and 5th during a lost season for a guy they probably won't even re-sign.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1211679433553252352

it's gonna be dennis allen right?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

wandler20 posted:

And traded a 3rd and 5th during a lost season for a guy they probably won't even re-sign.

Hey man Leonard Williams totaled 14 tackles and 0 sacks with the Giants. Surely that's worth a 3rd +.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I don't think I'd want Allen as my HC but he's done an amazing job with the Saints defense.

Nov 6, 2002

Please remember that at this time of the year practically every name is attached to every vacancy due to coach's agents feeding reporters.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Is there any evidence that Roman is actually good, and it's not just Jackson being the top offensive player in the league?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Bird in a Blender posted:

Is there any evidence that Roman is actually good, and it's not just Jackson being the top offensive player in the league?

Built a good offense around Tyrod Taylor in Buffalo, built a very good offense in San Fran with Kaepernick. If he doesn't have a good track record, then basically nobody does.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

He coached Kap from '12 to '14 and the Packers famously couldn't figure out how to stop him.

I do not think Mayfield has the same capabilities as Kap/Lamar.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Yeah he made offenses around Kaep and Tyrod that helped do what they are good at, same with Lamar now

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

He was the OC for the 49ers the year they went to the Super Bowl with Alex Smith and Kaepernick both playing half the games.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kalli posted:

Built a good offense around Tyrod Taylor in Buffalo, built a very good offense in San Fran with Kaepernick. If he doesn't have a good track record, then basically nobody does.

Yeah the evidence is that he seems to be willing to tailor his offense to the players he has as far as I can tell. Which is sadly a pretty rare thing.

e:

SKULL.GIF posted:

I do not think Mayfield has the same capabilities as Kap/Lamar.

I don't get the sense that he's married to the scheme so much as willing to figure things out. I'd be at least somewhat optimistic if that were the hire if I was a Browns fan.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Dec 30, 2019

Nov 6, 2002

Nodoze posted:

Yeah he made offenses around Kaep and Tyrod that helped do what they are good at, same with Lamar now

He's no Adam Gase!

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Kalli posted:

I'd consider going through unnecessary invasive surgery to see what he could do with Josh Allen in Buffalo.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

I think a fair comparison would be budget Kyle Shannahan and you could definitely do a lot worse than that. Unless he turns into a halfwit once he gets to make his own decisions in game, you know you are going to get a good game plan going in

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
The Giants are keeping Gettleman and McDaniels is on their list. Just beyond stupid.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Roman would at least attempt to maximize Chubb (lol) which is what the Browns offense should be based on

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

CJ Spiller looked like the best back in football with him.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Ok, that's what I get for not looking at what Roman did before.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Greg Roman is good because he’s the rare type of coach who plans around his talent instead of being an arrogant dickhead trying to shove square pegs in round holes.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Kalli posted:

yeah hes one of the best coordinators in the nfl and has been for a long time. I said this last year, when he was just a special offensive assistant or whatever. People forget that he was not the oc and yet installed an entirely new offense in a single week mid season last year that helped take a team to the playoffs. Just...entirely on the fly turned the ravens into a read option team with no prep and no groundwork for it.

Do not hire him, in my o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Stefanski got a 2nd interview with Cleveland last year and the endorsement from the analytics dept. He's not taking the interview