Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Ammanas posted:

i just asked my cat, she said to mind your own business fucker
Did you wait until you were spoken to or did you show familiarity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

josh04 posted:

It's not that the hands were too human and had to be fixed, it's that in a few specific shots Judy Dench had her original hands including wedding ring and they'd either shipped the wrong version or the work came in too late for the original release. Either way it's not that someone sat down Sonic style and said "we're gonna fix Cats, redesign starts here" it's just that things were so chaotic that it got missed as the film went out the door.

They all have their original hands. Judy just has a ring on. Fur blends at the wrist into live action hands on every character, you can see it clearly when Taylor is sprinkling the gold dust cat drugs.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The Little Death posted:

I also gotta say I appreciated turning Macavity from like a crime cat into some sort of feline Satan. It was another weird choice that I actually really liked.

There's a bit earlier on where there's a poster of Morarity in the background that turns into Macavity, (Wanted for: Everything) though I'm not sure you could call anything in these movie subtle. When he's the closest thing the show has to an antagonist and you're already committing to all kinds of ridiculous poo poo you might as well go for it.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Did I miss something or did Taylor Swift's cat just like, disappear?

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Does toonces live in the cats universe

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Power of Pecota posted:

Did I miss something or did Taylor Swift's cat just like, disappear?

Literally. After Mr. Mistoffelees brings back Old Deut, Macavity grabbed Taylor Swift, snarled, and the two vanished. She never showed up again that I noticed.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Taylor swift cat died on her way to her home cat planet

Alternative : she was sitting in the clouds to murder Jennifer Hudson cat and take her place, to be the jellicle sacrificial cat

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

The Saddest Rhino posted:

That they added a subplot of him lacking confidence in his magic and required Victoria's horniness for him

Misto is often, like, the most gay-coded cat in the musicals, pulling out rainbow scarves and wearing rainbow lights, and there’s the theory about him being female, so I’m honestly kind of disappointed they didn’t lean into it and go full woke instead

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Misto is often, like, the most gay-coded cat in the musicals, pulling out rainbow scarves and wearing rainbow lights, and there’s the theory about him being female, so I’m honestly kind of disappointed they didn’t lean into it and go full woke instead

There's also Rum Tum Tugger being his no.1 fan, leading both instances of his theme song which is all about how great and amazing and special Mistoffelees is. Given RTT is the cat that does the opposite of what you expect, him ending up with Mistoffelees despite almost all the girls loving him would play into that.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I wish I had my own hype man :allears:

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

That's one thing that sort of sticks out. Cats is very, very gay. Rum Tum Tugger is incredibly gay. The show is incredibly campy and feels like watching a drag show. The movie... does not feel like that. I'm still glad we got what we got, because it's amazing, but in my brain I'm trying to figure out who thought that you could play something like cats "straight" (in multiple senses of the word) and have it work. Like Jennyanydots does unzip a coat onstage, but it's an obvious prop that looks like a fatsuit, so that afterwards she can do dance numbers after being presented as a "Gumbi cat". Who watches that and thinks "so jennyanydots has the power to unzip her skin, of course!". Unless you were trying to make a nightmare movie.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The Little Death posted:

Who watches that and thinks "so jennyanydots has the power to unzip her skin, of course!". Unless you were trying to make a nightmare movie.

Tom Hooper

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

The Little Death posted:

That's one thing that sort of sticks out. Cats is very, very gay. Rum Tum Tugger is incredibly gay. The show is incredibly campy and feels like watching a drag show. The movie... does not feel like that. I'm still glad we got what we got, because it's amazing, but in my brain I'm trying to figure out who thought that you could play something like cats "straight" (in multiple senses of the word) and have it work. Like Jennyanydots does unzip a coat onstage, but it's an obvious prop that looks like a fatsuit, so that afterwards she can do dance numbers after being presented as a "Gumbi cat". Who watches that and thinks "so jennyanydots has the power to unzip her skin, of course!". Unless you were trying to make a nightmare movie.

Someone told me that this movie is the culmination of cis het white men trying to appropriate camp for their own profit, and failing in the only way cis get white men can

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1211412694156431374

yeah baby

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

It’s entirely possible this movie is an irl producer’s scheme.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I went in fully expecting the movie to be a poorly conceived and rushed out the door failure, and it certainly delivers in that aspect. What I wasn't prepared for is how amateurish the whole thing is, and how irritating that is. By the end I was just desperate for something to like about the film and there's just nothing.

Okay, there's shared cultural knowledge that cat's always land on their feet. The opening number makes specific reference to this When you fall on your head. Do you land on your feet? So what kind of no-talent idiot decides to jump from there to Rebel Wilson and James Corden doing a bunch of pratfalls and other slapstick falls where they land on their head and poo poo?

That's obviously not the only problem with the film, but stood out to me as the earliest example of them just getting something just completely wrong, that is conceptually really basic.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...

Simplex posted:

Okay, there's shared cultural knowledge that cat's always land on their feet. The opening number makes specific reference to this When you fall on your head. Do you land on your feet? So what kind of no-talent idiot decides to jump from there to Rebel Wilson and James Corden doing a bunch of pratfalls and other slapstick falls where they land on their head and poo poo?
it's profound

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I can’t stop thinking about the train cat

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Simplex posted:

I went in fully expecting the movie to be a poorly conceived and rushed out the door failure, and it certainly delivers in that aspect. What I wasn't prepared for is how amateurish the whole thing is, and how irritating that is. By the end I was just desperate for something to like about the film and there's just nothing.

That's obviously not the only problem with the film, but stood out to me as the earliest example of them just getting something just completely wrong, that is conceptually really basic.

I mean presumably the filmmakers were thinking of all those cat videos you see where cats fall off tables, etc. Because they can be adorable idiots sometimes.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I think about all the insane, ridiculous, stupid content I’ve consumed throughout my adolescence and adult life, much of it found on this very website, and it was Cats that broke me

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Maxwell Lord posted:

I mean presumably the filmmakers were thinking of all those cat videos you see where cats fall off tables, etc. Because they can be adorable idiots sometimes.

Yeah, "cats always land on their feet" is bullshit, cats can be clumsy as gently caress sometimes out of nowhere. It's part of their charm.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Puppy Galaxy posted:

I think about all the insane, ridiculous, stupid content I’ve consumed throughout my adolescence and adult life, much of it found on this very website, and it was Cats that broke me

:same:

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Puppy Galaxy posted:

I can’t stop thinking about the train cat

Oh, skimbleshanks, the railway cat? The cat of the railway train?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Oh, skimbleshanks, the railway cat? The cat of the railway train?

:iiam:

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I saw CATS (2019) with two friends. We saw it in a botique cinema with a bunch of baby boomers. We drank wine and winced.

I actually think this movie was insulting to its audience. It was offense. I felt wronged. I am angry but in a tired sort of way. One thing for sure, it'll be the last film I see this decade. Cats, capping off a decade of cinema.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

fauna posted:

it's profound

profoundly dumb, sure

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
How annoying is James Corden in this? If he’s too much I can’t bring myself to watch this, even to watch the train wreck catch on fire.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

He does one song about him being fat and then his his crotch, just about 5 minutes worth. He appears a little after that but rebel Wilson... Upstages him

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Maxwell Lord posted:

You can have lazy or clumsy cats falling off tables and chairs or whatever. But in order for the gag to work at all, they need to land on their feet. It's the literal text of the movie.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
It wouldn’t have saved the film or anything but I kinda think keeping the human ears would have helped make the CG less distractingly grotesque

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

BigglesSWE posted:

How annoying is James Corden in this? If he’s too much I can’t bring myself to watch this, even to watch the train wreck catch on fire.

His character has a grotesque number where he's eating trash, and he does it like he's a cartoon character, eating a prawn that's the relative size of like a gopher in one gulp. Other than that highpoint, he's mildly annoying.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I thought this film was unironically amazing as a sort of strange satire of humanity, with these weird half cat/half person things performing acts nobody could possibly enjoy to win a prize nobody really understands, never letting you forget that ultimately these are animals with a massively overinflated sense of their own level of influence. But then it still says that solidarity is important to form magic and resolving trauma is the most meaningful form of accomplishment, so it’s not like it’s cynical really. It’s just strange and broken in a world I find strange and broken too, but for me that kind of makes it better? I really liked it; it was good

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I’d like to talk about how horny the main cat was. I’ve never seen anything that horny in my life

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Puppy Galaxy posted:

I’d like to talk about how horny the main cat was.

Please don't

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

If you're in Southern California-area there is a hyperlocal meme account-screening on New Year's Day, and from this screening can almost feel the tangible impact on the Cats bottom line lol...

https://twitter.com/americanamemes/status/1211788646954590208

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

I've seen this twice now, once on a milder psychedelic and once totally sober. Both times this movie owned. The only bad parts to me are Jennifer Hudson's solos because everything else slows down and its pretty much just a static close up of her cgi'd face. The rest is a charmingly bad rollercoaster that makes me want to see the play.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Shrecknet posted:

Please don't

Yeah, I think discussing the weird tail erections at the end of the movie is a better discussion of the movie's "horniness."

Why the gently caress did all the cats have tail erections at the end of the movie?

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

I'm guessing because they ran out of time/money to bother animating them.

Or there's some deep Jellicle reason for it that we're simply too human to comprehend.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I saw this yesterday with friends and got pretty much what I expected out of it. After the initial discomfort of the terrible CG it just came off as pitifully uninspired and pointless. There was nothing about the direction or sets or anything that made this even remotely more interesting than just watching the theatrical production. The parts they added to make it a more “appealing” movie plot were terribly bland. I don’t think any of the singing was particularly memorable, though I did enjoy Ian McKellen giving it a go.

But I mean I didn’t hate it. I was just unimpressed. The experience of seeing it with friends was great, though. We all had fun rolling our eyes and laughing at the train wreck.

E: also I couldn’t stop staring at Judy Dench’s teeth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Water Resistant
Jul 10, 2003
Saw it again tonight at a "rowdy" screening at the Alamo Drafthouse, and watching it with a bunch of unsuspecting but very drunk people as they went through this mindfuck of a movie was one of the most fun movie experiences of my life. The entire theater just lost it when the cockroaches showed up. I kind of love this movie now. It's the first movie of the year I've seen twice in theaters.