Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

https://twitter.com/41Strange/status/1209365831710208005

Merry Christmas bird thread, thank you for being a source of joy and comfort this year. May your birds be happy, healthy, and only scream a little today!
THE WAR ON CHRISTMAS.

(Merry Christmas birdnerds, this thread still makes me so happy)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

subpar anachronism posted:

In the spirit of Christmas I tried to nibble one to entice Mochi with some of these, but he wasn't interested even though I've tried multiple times now. They were... good?
https://www.chewy.com/kaytee-fiesta-krunch-rounds-hookbill/dp/122775

...it's weird if I just eat the bird treats isn't it

My two won't touch those.

Then again at dinner tonight they annihilated a bird plate of mashed potatoes, lamb, peas and carrot and a small bit of crusty bread. Yeah....spoiled is not the word.

Merry Christmas/Festivus/etc etc Bird Crazies :) I'm so glad you are in my life...you are the best!

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

In the spirit of Christmas I tried to nibble one to entice Mochi with some of these, but he wasn't interested even though I've tried multiple times now. They were... good?
https://www.chewy.com/kaytee-fiesta-krunch-rounds-hookbill/dp/122775

They are basically sesame kri kri nuts, which are the most delicious things ever. The only difference will be the bird ones will be made with bird grade peanuts and sesame and flour.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

the bird ones will be made with bird grade peanuts and sesame and flour.

Obviously, bird grade entails the highest quality standards, right?

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Some fancy cat food is straight up better than (and more expensive than) cheap store brand tuna. So I imagine fancy bird kri kri nuts might be better than cheap beer nuts.

Either way you are right to find them delicious. I have some spiced crunchy broad beans right now that Toast used to go batty for. These two still haven't figured out that peanuts are edible. They love fresh/frozen peas and corn though.

Their little birdy eyes almost boggled out of their head when they experienced human chili spiced sunflower seeds.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sekkira posted:

Obviously, bird grade entails the highest quality standards, right?

Bird grade entails the seed being picked up and dropped on the floor, screamed at, having a human retrieve it, and repeating several times.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Highest quality standards. :colbert:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I took part in the absolutely awesome Secret Santa in TFR and got a giant Domo in an ammo can.

Serra, however, is NOT happy about it. After this picture was taken, she started turbo hissing at the Domo.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
To be fair if I saw a domo-kun my own size I might freak out too :hmmyes:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I'm sorry...I know we don't get political here...

...but I love Bird Rights Activist on Twitter.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Captain Log posted:

I'm sorry...I know we don't get political here...

...but I love Bird Rights Activist on Twitter.

Birdie Seeders policies are;

• More Millet
  • Screm loud
  • Screm LOUD
  • Throw inferior seed on floor
  • Throw quality seed on floor
  • Screm LOUDEST
  • Claim human food for Bird

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Birdie Seeders policies are;

• More Millet
  • Screm loud
  • Screm LOUD
  • Throw inferior seed on floor
  • Throw quality seed on floor
  • Screm LOUDEST
  • Claim human food for Bird

Naked

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Opera Bitch
Sep 28, 2004

Let me lull you to sleep with my sweet song!

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

also I am mentally exhausted rn from both forums and rl drama so this post is kinda short but opera bitch I'm so sorry youre going through what you're going through. reminds me of my ex's "relationship" with ama. I remember you, you have the gcc tattoo right? :( i agree with kenshin rehoming the problem bird may be the best choice rn. if she and the other gcc don't get along anyway I don't think she'll be too broken up about it and boy gcc and your husband may be happier in your own current home.
:(/:shobon:
Yes I have the big tattoo! So update: I heard back from the rescue and they said they could take in the birds if needed and that it would probably take 2-3 weeks. In the meantime, I think I am going to try getting a double cage and putting in the laundry room first and see how that goes. It is off from a hallway we walk in frequently so they'd be able to see us, and I could let them out in there so they aren't cooped up and if they are loud enough to bug my husband I can always shut the door. Plus instead of them being confined in their cages when the second baby comes like they were with our firstborn they can be out in that room. We hope to move in about 2-3 years to a bigger place so hopefully they can have an even bigger place where they can be out and about. I'd feel bad if I didn't try this strategy out first. Then if needed I may re-home just Cheeky, the loud antisocial one. Thanks for the kind words everyone

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Hey, one of the neat features of parrot ownership is how what's healthy for them and what's healthy for you has like 90% overlap. Lots of bird treats are just healthy fruit and seeds. You remember those nostalgic Americana paintings of boys sharing ice cream cones with dogs? That's me but the ice cream is mashed potato and the dog is Sinbad. I take a lick, he takes a lick, I take a lick, etc.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
https://twitter.com/davidcsimon/status/1210864626767781888

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
The king parrots back home are lovely. They are very shy and mild and constantly getting bullied by the happy jacks. Like the Eclectus they are very sexually dimorphic, but with the opposite colours. Eclectus males and king females are mostly green with a little red, and Eclectus females and king males are mostly red with a little green. We usually put fruit and seed out for them and the possums.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

So, uh...... Peanut made a new noise today.

https://twitter.com/niceoneWern/status/1211309982727192576

And those King Parrots are gorgeous

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Rotten Cookies posted:

So, uh...... Peanut made a new noise today.

https://twitter.com/niceoneWern/status/1211309982727192576

And those King Parrots are gorgeous

Is... is Peanut a maraca now?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Is... is Peanut a maraca now?

I'm hearing more of a sprinkler ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8SzwaBI_aw

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I love your terrible plotting bird

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

StrixNebulosa posted:

I love your terrible plotting bird

I'm not really good with computers

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

THAT'S what he reminded me of!

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Crouton and Galbedir make a similar noise though not sustained for as long when eating The Best Things Ever or anticipating them. This is usually chillis, capsicum seeds, and sunnies. I was expecting millet to cause the same reaction given how batty Toast went for millet but they are not as OMGWTFBBQ for it as he was. They love it and spend the next half hour doing nothing but eat millet, but it isn't any more of a big deal than a regular seed bar.

E: oh and Galbedir also makes that noise when he's bird horny

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://i.imgur.com/WPA1A8o.mp4

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Don't talk to me or my three adorable baby sons ever again!

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Leave them alone, you jerk, they're trying to sleep

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

https://0x0.st/zkNS.webm

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

I only see one parent in there. I would be loving right off before the other one got back if I were the cameraperson!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Rotten Cookies posted:

Leave them alone, you jerk, they're trying to sleep

I saw the guy write a pretty long post about how the parrots live right in an area a mall is trying to be developed - so he decided to film them to let people know what would be at stake if the building started.

I could be misremembering it, but the thing I read from the video taker made me less irritated about it.

Also THOSE BABIES!!!

:3: + :derptiel:

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I have two questions:

Is that hole big enough to be their entrance/exit?

Is that tree completely dead?

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Also I haven't provided pictures in a while so here are some while I muse on whether Ozzy has big burly feet or Sera just has very petite feet. Or a little of both.

Ozzy: "you're close and I'm concerned. I don't like your phone and I'm concerned. But I'm still being a very good boy and posing for a picture."

Sera: "floof"

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I have a New Year idea to turn our lovely lurkers in lovely posters. :downs:

Want to do a New Year’s Birdie Roll Call? We could all post some pictures of our birds and write them little bios. That way, lurkers get a clear sense of who is talking about which birds and might feel less confused about posting.

I still owe the thread Blue and Yellow pictures. :derptiel:

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Source

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

World Parrot Trust has a sale on enamel pins right now:

https://estore.parrots.org/collections/enamel-pin-badges

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

RoboRodent posted:

I have two questions:

Is that hole big enough to be their entrance/exit?

Is that tree completely dead?

1. If it isn't they can make it big enough with the pickaxes attached to their skulls

2. With most trees only a small layer is actually vascularized so the inside can be hollow as long as there is some live wood connecting to get water to the parts above/below.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
Poor Trev :(

He and Cricket have been arguing, but nothing major. I have been good about breaking them up, but apparently I wasn't fast enough and boom...E-Vet visit today!! Enter, stage left, one Trev with a chomped toe/foot. :( He was so good tho but ack... the whole seeing blood things scared the poo poo out of me, especially when it wasn't stopping :( I looked at his foot after I put him back in his cage, and thought it was raspberry...but it was not.

So, now I get to wash his cage (covered in blood drops, get his rope perch sanitized and cleaned up cos he bled all over that too, and wash his towel that I had him wrapped up in. Did I mention I was by myself? lol

So I got to drive one-handed with a wrapped up Not Happy About the Situation Trevor in my shirt to the vets, in 40 F degree weather, AND the rain all in Seattle traffic. Joy! At least its only like 8 miles from me, but traffic is awful so it takes us at least 20 minutes in good weather.

Four hours later I had a bandaged birdie to go home who is sleeping off the sedation meds etc atm on the desk next to me in his travel cage. Apparently the bleeding took a while to stop at the vets as well. Sigh...lucky us. They came back to tell me he was being "feisty" and it would be a little longer than planned to have him ready to come home lol

However, Mr. Trevor MotherFuckin Phillips aka "Shithead" is sporting a lovely new bandaged foot and a round of antibiotics and painkillers for the next couple of days. Lovely.

Doesn't he look innocent??? little featherdemon....so glad I got them on the Claw plan at the avian vet. Most of this was covered and I only had to pay about 1/4 of the cost. Not quite insurance but...I am glad I did it for each of them.

Disco Salmon fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Dec 31, 2019

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Oh no Trevor!!! So glad he's okay!!! :(

that said... "feisty" lol 😂😂😂

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I hope your little fluffy potato feels better soon!

I also keep a thing of avian anti -clot under their cages. Haven't had to use it, but Serra likes to have night frights. I sleep better knowing I have a solution under the cage if a bad one happened.