Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I picked up a pile of Dr. Aphra comics over the weekend when the comic shop across the street went out of business for a quarter a pop and they're actually pretty fun. With the right lead and a showrunner who doesn't just do a surface portrayal as "LOL random manic chaotic neutral hot topic bad girl" it could be really cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I just finished up reading Aphra's solo series last night, and yeah... I need official news. And Disney loving better not be cowards and dilute her story or character down.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

TulliusCicero posted:

From what I have heard I also really want this :allears:

The comic is amazing. I haven't even really read comics in years but grabbed the first few on Amazon Prime and... wow... it's SO good. I'm flying through the entire run now. It would fit perfectly as a live-action. She's an amoral young Indiana Jones who occasionally works for Vader, gets into trouble and screws things up even more trying to get out of them.

Edmund Lava posted:

Lot of unsourced rumors and casting speculation, but nothing concrete. I wouldn’t expect to hear anything till later next year.

Sad but not unexpected.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

teagone posted:

I just finished up reading Aphra's solo series last night, and yeah... I need official news. And Disney loving better not be cowards and dilute her story or character down.

Yeah, i wanna see those robots loving merk people.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Would a Rogue Squadron TV show be too expensive in special effects?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Rocksicles posted:

Who should play Triple Zero? My immediate thought was to get Peter Dinklage to voice him with an english accent because I imagined that sarcastic scorn he had as Tyrion in GOT would work well for a murder bot.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

On the one hand they chickened out on actual LGBT representation in Endgame and RoS, but they didn’t for Runaways, so maybe we’ll get to see everyone’s favorite disaster lesbian in all her glory.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Yeah, I'm guessing if they go all in with Aphra and the chaos she entails, her series won't be on Disney+ and will end up on Hulu instead.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Rocksicles posted:

Craven Morehous as the voice of Trip Zero or we riot.

E: This guy gets it.
VVVVVVVVVVVV

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Dec 31, 2019

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

teagone posted:

Who should play Triple Zero?

Oh that's easy... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lUAnrX7gqw

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I would be a-ok with Hugo Weaving voicing Trip as well.

Lmao.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

A rouge squadron show set up like the A-Team would be:rock:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cartoon Man posted:

I don't know how much they could dedicate to constant space battles, but why not bring back Wraith Squadron? A unit of misfits engaging in commando, spy, and space missions as the job requires. It could be like a sci-fi take on The A-Team.

Edit: How the gently caress did you make the same reference I did while typing

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

chitoryu12 posted:

I don't know how much they could dedicate to constant space battles, but why not bring back Wraith Squadron? A unit of misfits engaging in commando, spy, and space missions as the job requires. It could be like a sci-fi take on The A-Team.

Edit: How the gently caress did you make the same reference I did while typing

I'd be way more down with a Wraith squadron style show after seeing the scout trooper banter. It reminded me a lot of the duo banter in Venture Bros with how organic it felt.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Thumposaurus posted:

A rouge squadron show set up like the A-Team would be:rock:

All their building montages would be for making machines that kills imperials.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Edmund Lava posted:

On the one hand they chickened out on actual LGBT representation in Endgame and RoS, but they didn’t for Runaways, so maybe we’ll get to see everyone’s favorite disaster lesbian in all her glory.

Wait they did what in RoS and Endgame?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

RoS spends screen time in an already crowded nonsense movie with a million plot points to hit to introduce a love interest out of nowhere for Poe and an additional backup love interest for Finn to make sure we know they have a strong case of not being gay for each other.

Then they want a cookie for having a background lesbian kiss between two extras that got cut for international release.

IDK about Endgames crimes.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Dec 31, 2019

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Rocksicles posted:

The announce the first LGBT characters in each franchise. Turns out the one in Endgame was a dude in Caps concealing group who mentions he has a boyfriend, and in RoS some dudes kiss during a big celebration scene off to the side. Basically easily edited out for foreign markets.

Edit: I guess it was two ladies for RoS. I stand corrected if that was the case, but still it was hardly significant.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Rocksicles posted:

The blink-and-you'll-miss-it kiss between two women at the end of TROS/not making Poe and Finn a thing in the ST, and in Endgame they made a big deal about introducing a gay character in the marketing blitz, and it ended up just being the director cameoing as a gay man. Said director boldly claimed in an interview—which was clearly spun to show how progressive and diverse Disney is—explained that it was important that he, who is a straight man and is married, play the gay character in Endgame to "ensure the integrity" of representation, as opposed, to, oh I don't know, casting an actual LGBTQ actor instead.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Owlbear Camus posted:

RoS spends screen time in an already crowded nonsense move with a million plot points to hit to introduce a love interest out for Poe and an additional backup love interest for Finn to make sure we know they have a strong case of not being gay for each other.

Then they want a cookie for having a background lesbian kiss between two extras that got cut for international release.

IDK about Endgames crimes.

I still don't understand that, they were buddies!

Endgame idk either, the movies was 99% action and sadface.

^^ I can get onboard with people being upset about the director taking up a slot for a gay actor, but that character didn't even need to be in it period.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Dec 31, 2019

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Cartoon Man posted:

Battlestar Galactica managed it fifteen years ago.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cartoon Man posted:

We are past that now, we have Alphabet Squadron and it's not nearly as good.

I will accepted nothing less than Voort saBinring and his merry men.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Rocksicles posted:

I can get onboard with people being upset about the director taking up a slot for a gay actor, but that character didn't even need to be in it period.

Exactly. Esquire did a whole article that roughly sums up Disney's intention pretty clearly https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/movies/a27334096/avengers-endgame-gay-representation/

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I totally thought Poe & Finn were going to kiss during the celebration scene. Their body language was selling it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Edmund Lava posted:

The announce the first LGBT characters in each franchise. Turns out the one in Endgame was a dude in Caps concealing group who mentions he has a boyfriend, and in RoS some dudes kiss during a big celebration scene off to the side. Basically easily edited out for foreign markets.

Edit: I guess it was two ladies for RoS. I stand corrected if that was the case, but still it was hardly significant.

So, everyone brings up the thing about foreign markets and that Disney has to keep all their gay stuff easily edited out for China and whatnot. You know what the real secret is? That doesn't happen. Those scenes made it into China without any problems. Movies that are 100% about homosexuality tend to get censored, but there's no law banning depictions of it in foreign media and many huge blockbusters with no LGBT content whatsoever get censored on the basis of things like violence. Disney is just terrified to actually show something even vaguely controversial in a mass market blockbuster unless it can be missed by a casual viewer and intentionally stays behind the curve.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

withak posted:

I totally thought Poe & Finn were going to kiss during the celebration scene. Their body language was selling it.

Poe's lip bite when he notices Finn is wearing his jacket in TFA...

:discourse:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well they'll probably never pick a chinese girl for Aphra, she'd probably get banned or repatriated

So we can shorten the list.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

withak posted:

:same:

I dunno if it was my own projection, headcanon or whatever but I swear to god that Oscar Isaac kept playing Poe as a bisexual as gently caress during the whole entirety of TRoS. He gave hard vibes lol

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Owlbear Camus posted:

Craven Morehous as the voice of Trip Zero or we riot.

E: This guy gets it.
VVVVVVVVVVVV

Wait, why would it not be Anthony Daniels?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Madurai posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lUAnrX7gqw

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Madurai posted:

There are different models of protocol droids, and they all don't have the same voice, e.g., TC-14 from The Phantom Menace:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQBV9pXleF0&t=160s

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Dude, I hope Bill Burr comes back, dude. Jesus fuckin' Christ. Ya know?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

zoux posted:

Well I'm not going to go line by line and debunk that moron's opinions but here's one: he knew that he could be saved by some simple first aid but he was willing to die to preserve The Way.

You know I just remembered in ep4, he took off his helmet to eat. While seated in front of an open window. While watching all the kids play with Yooda.

Good thing no one looked in his general direction. :v:

He should've just told everyone to look away while he took off his helmet and gave himself some first aid spray. Dems da rules!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

teagone posted:

Who should play Triple Zero? My immediate thought was to get Peter Dinklage to voice him with an english accent because I imagined that sarcastic scorn he had as Tyrion in GOT would work well for a murder bot.

"That wizard came from the moon!"

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I just read the second Aphra omnibus covering her auction of the crystal and just seeing things unfold horribly was incredible.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

This is perfect, perfect in every way. Shiny and chrome.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

General Dog posted:

Ending the season on the darksaber reveal is kind of a weird decision given that maybe 10-20% of fans are going to have any idea what it is.

Even as someone who knows what it is, I don’t know what the significance of him having it is supposed to be.

Edit: in Alan Sepinwall’s review he assumed it meant Gideon was some kind of Sith, until somebody else set him straight.

I can't say I wasn't a little disappointed that this is how they chose to end it. I've enjoyed the ST for the most part but I've also been very glad that The Mandalorian demonstrates that you can tell a Star Wars story without involving space wizards with magic swords fighting over ancestry. To end the season with the villain waving a magic ancestral sword makes me feel like they're going to drag this back to the standard Star Wars fare that I've had enough of for now.

Reading this thread and discovering that the sword comes with a 5 page wiki article and back story scattered across 10+ episodes of spin-off cartoons doesn't fill me with anticipation. I'm sure it will be fine, but it was a deflating way to end the series.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Tarnop posted:

I can't say I wasn't a little disappointed that this is how they chose to end it. I've enjoyed the ST for the most part but I've also been very glad that The Mandalorian demonstrates that you can tell a Star Wars story without involving space wizards with magic swords fighting over ancestry. To end the season with the villain waving a magic ancestral sword makes me feel like they're going to drag this back to the standard Star Wars fare that I've had enough of for now.

Reading this thread and discovering that the sword comes with a 5 page wiki article and back story scattered across 10+ episodes of spin-off cartoons doesn't fill me with anticipation. I'm sure it will be fine, but it was a deflating way to end the series.

The show literally revolves around a force sensitive baby, and we’ve had a The Force Deus Ex Machina no fewer than 3 times.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Bust Rodd posted:

The show literally revolves around a force sensitive baby, and we’ve had a “The Force” Deus Ex Machina no fewer than 3 times.

https://twitter.com/robisraelart/status/1211772534338850816?s=21

e: woof Quote=/=Edit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Bust Rodd posted:

The show literally revolves around a force sensitive baby, and we’ve had a The Force Deus Ex Machina no fewer than 3 times.

True! But no magic swords, and the main characters have no real understanding of the force and what it means. I'm not saying that this isn't an entirely arbitrary line to draw, but my feeling for that final scene was disappointment and I'm trying to unpick my reasons for feeling that way.

The Mandalorian has felt largely free from a lot of Star Wars baggage, and I think that's down to the characters feeling very much apart from the central conflict of Jedi and Sith that the movies have been so concerned with. When they do interact with it, like when BY uses the force, it's in a way that requires no more understanding than the ability to process what's happening on screen. Having the ending be something so intrinsically tied to a significant chunk of obscure lore wasn't what I was hoping for.