Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
A neutrik USB-B like how some fight sticks have would be completely ok with me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Why are there never pictures of the underside?

Also, am I the only one who really wants a big-ol-clunky USB-B socket on the keyboard side?

Check out these things, any of them look like what you want?

https://www.digikey.com/products/en...k=1&pageSize=25

https://www.digikey.com/products/en...k=1&pageSize=25

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Also, am I the only one who really wants a big-ol-clunky USB-B socket on the keyboard side?
Given that there are still people convinced that AT/PS2 keyboards are superior to this day I'm sure there are plenty like you, but I'm definitely on the "use USB-C by default" side of things and think the idea of building anything new with a B connector of any size unless you absolutely have to is silly. Like if there's a family of devices with an ecosystem of accessories that directly connect to a micro-B port then it makes sense for new models to retain that port, but with something like a keyboard that always sits at the end of a cable there's no excuse.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

now that I linked those pages, I'm wondering if I don't need a waterproof cap to screw/unscrew whenever I move the kb :eng99:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

wolrah posted:

Given that there are still people convinced that AT/PS2 keyboards are superior to this day I'm sure there are plenty like you, but I'm definitely on the "use USB-C by default" side of things and think the idea of building anything new with a B connector of any size unless you absolutely have to is silly. Like if there's a family of devices with an ecosystem of accessories that directly connect to a micro-B port then it makes sense for new models to retain that port, but with something like a keyboard that always sits at the end of a cable there's no excuse.

I've got like 6 USB-C keebs and they're wonderful.
But nothing satisfies like that big clunky USB-B except maybe a DIN connector or a very strong magnet.

USB-C for the sake of USB-C is disappointing. I've got a new Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 that uses USB-C but it only uses 4 pins and doesn't even draw that much power and it's honestly more of a pain in the rear end to get that cheap USB-C plugged in than the USB-B on my first gen 2i2, and even then the cable doesn't stay plugged in as solidly as a Type B.
USB mini/micro can gently caress right off. If I never see another one of those in my life it'll be too soon.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Did you know you can get extra-clunky USB-B jacks? These things are pretty great, I probably have a couple extra I could send you if you want. Plus who has a blaze orange usb jack?

https://www.samtec.com/products/usbr-b

quote:

Minimum 15 N withdrawal force

taqueso fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Dec 20, 2019

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Ok so I just need to machine my own bespoke keyboard chassis from billet titanium and install some B jacks up in that.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

taqueso posted:

Did you know you can get extra-clunky USB-B jacks? These things are pretty great, I probably have a couple extra I could send you if you want. Plus who has a blaze orange usb jack?

https://www.samtec.com/products/usbr-b

Ooh that 3D render is really nice. I'll bet the ka-chunk of removing it is extra satisfying.

I'm swapping back to clears on my work board for now.
These things are so nice. The salmon sliders are decent switches but I just can't deal with the preload.

Eventually I'll swap these onto my Durgod Taurus and when I do I'll take the time to line them and they'll be EXTRA good.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

samtec is top notch, you can probably get a handful as free samples if you say you are a company

it has a ka-chunk going in too

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

taqueso posted:

it has a ka-chunk going in too

:quagmire:

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Dec 20, 2019

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Where should I be buying keycaps? I feel like Amazon and ebay have a very limited selection of mostly bottom tier stuff.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Shaocaholica posted:

Where should I be buying keycaps? I feel like Amazon and ebay have a very limited selection of mostly bottom tier stuff.

Alibaba on the other hand has a VAST selection of bottom tier stuff.
kbd fans and massdrop are good. konostore also has small selection of high quality caps.

I peruse reddit mechmarket but I haven't bought anything yet.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
My GMK oblivion set came in. Now I have to wait for my Tokyo60 to come through the mail.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Any recommendations for a 96 solderless kit?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

My fav keycap sets right now are doubleshot pbt cherry profile from aliexpress

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32996186932.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dlW8Uaj

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32959690785.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dTbM8p8

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

I was born ready. I'm Ron Fucking Swanson.

Nine of Eight posted:

My GMK oblivion set came in. Now I have to wait for my Tokyo60 to come through the mail.

That looks extremely close to the keycaps from the Ducky One 2 Skyline board. The colors appear identical, but the lettering is different.

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=3485

It's a beautiful layout.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
How come you never see gray tactile switch keyboards? I keep reading that they would be too stiff/tiring yet you see green clicky switch pretty commonly and that has the same actuation force.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
It's mostly because the mainstream keyboards are mostly targeted at gamers and the marketing for gaming is lighter and faster actuation is better.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

Start following various designers through social media and email lists, along with MassDrop and Reddit.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Shaocaholica posted:

How come you never see gray tactile switch keyboards? I keep reading that they would be too stiff/tiring yet you see green clicky switch pretty commonly and that has the same actuation force.

Comedy answer: because it turns out that Tactile Greys suck :v:

I mean that tongue-in-cheek; if you like them, then good on you. I had a Cherry MX Green board, thought I would love Tactile Greys and built a GMMK with them, and then it turned out I hated how they felt. I replaced them with BOX Navies and that turned out to be the feel I was looking for.

I'm not sure what kind of board you're looking for, but if you think Grey is your jam, I'd definitely recommend putting together a GMMK with 'em.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I mean I dunno until I try one. Catch 22. I like blue and green cherry but not the noise. I can stand brown cherry but all the knock off browns feel really bad. I just wanted to see if I would like green without the click. This is all very new to me.

GMMK looks nice, thanks! I was looking at some hot swap kits but this might be better to start with.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Dec 30, 2019

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Shaocaholica posted:

I mean I dunno until I try one. Catch 22. I like blue and green cherry but not the noise. I can stand brown cherry but all the knock off browns feel really bad. I just wanted to see if I would like green without the click. This is all very new to me.

GMMK looks nice, thanks! I was looking at some hot swap kits but this might be better to start with.

I can recommend BOX Royal if you're looking for a quieter but firmly tactile switch.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Exit Strategy posted:

I can recommend BOX Royal if you're looking for a quieter but firmly tactile switch.

Can't seem to find these for sale at pcgamingrace. Where to buy these switches?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Shaocaholica posted:

Exit Strategy posted:

Echoing Kailh box royals if you want a very sharp tactile bump without the attached clicky noise. If you want to go for the maximum stiffness/tactile bump, then look for kailh hako royal clear switches. Both will feel sharper and more crisp than the Cherry switch, with the clear also having a very stiff spring on par with the Cherry grey.

e: I generally feel that the Kailh versions of every switch feels better than the cherry equivalent, typically in that they're smoother feeling to press. Or, in the case of the clickbar based switches, they're just much better feeling and sounding overall because of the way they work.

For stuff like kailh browns vs cherry browns or reds vs reds though, the difference is small enough that I don't think you would ever notice it without trying them both right next to each other. Box royals feel mostly like Zealios, just without the whole "Costs literally double what other switches do" part that Zealios is known for.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Dec 30, 2019

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Where should I buy these kailh switches?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

Where should I buy these kailh switches?

Novelkeys or kbdfans

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

mewse posted:

Novelkeys or kbdfans

^^ I've bought from both places and they're cool and good. Novelkeys is based in the US and might be slightly faster.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Gwaihir posted:

^^ I've bought from both places and they're cool and good. Novelkeys is based in the US and might be slightly faster.

I know Mike, the owner of NovelKeys, and he's a good dude whose business I like supporting.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Just swapped back to my Hako Clear from Hako True and I have to say it was the right choice.
So firm. So tactile. But also that full keystroke.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I just got Niz Plum 68 key. It's bluetooth/USB C and has capacitive key switches. Talk about a different feeling keyboard. I still like it a lot. It kinda feels somewhere between a rubber dome and a mechanical but better (Torpe?!). Much quieter than any cherry for sure. It's got a really nice tight feel to key presses.

Also if anyone cares it can change from Mac to PC with a hotkey. Has Macros, caps lock lockout and some key-switcher stuff. USB C and can bluetooth pair to 3 devices.

Far as the sensitivity, somewhere between Browns and Reds in terms of activation point and force. Least thats what my fingers tell me. The feel is so different though, i've never used anything even close to this.

https://www.epomaker.com/product/niz-plum-atom66-68-keyboards/

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I bought an actually split keyboard (Kinesis Freestyle Edge) to try to deal with persistent shoulder pain I've been getting on the computer (already have tenkeyless, trackball, good chair, adjustable desk, etc so I've gone down the usual routes). I wanted something I could easily return and had a normal key layout so I wasn't very interested in the more esoteric options (uhk, ergodex, etc). So far it feels super weird to type on. It's like I'm not even typing but just wiggling my fingers independently and words appear on the screen. I suppose I'll just get used to it eventually. Anyone have this keyboard and end up happy with it? Any tips for getting used to it?

Pottsdam
Sep 11, 2000

MY MEAT!
MY MEAAAATTTTT!
Just picked up a K70 Lux on sale and it wobbles between the same two corners no matter where I put it. Is there any harm in carefully trying to twist or press it into shape or should I just not risk it and it bring it back for an exchange?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

redeyes posted:

I just got Niz Plum 68 key. It's bluetooth/USB C and has capacitive key switches. Talk about a different feeling keyboard. I still like it a lot. It kinda feels somewhere between a rubber dome and a mechanical but better (Torpe?!). Much quieter than any cherry for sure. It's got a really nice tight feel to key presses.

Also if anyone cares it can change from Mac to PC with a hotkey. Has Macros, caps lock lockout and some key-switcher stuff. USB C and can bluetooth pair to 3 devices.

Far as the sensitivity, somewhere between Browns and Reds in terms of activation point and force. Least thats what my fingers tell me. The feel is so different though, i've never used anything even close to this.

https://www.epomaker.com/product/niz-plum-atom66-68-keyboards/

Yeah it's a feeling of oneness with cup rubber

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Wasabi the J posted:

Yeah it's a feeling of oneness with cup rubber

nah that's some garbage knockoff. unless ur paying for the primo Nippon cup rubber, not worth it

e: https://www.nizkeyboard.com/products/niz-2019-new-atom-68-ec-bluetooth-keyboard-rgb-or-non-rgb?variant=30346364059719 drat if this sucker was programmable with qmk i'd finally replace my aging hhkb pro 2, the greatest of all keyboards

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Malcolm XML posted:

nah that's some garbage knockoff. unless ur paying for the primo Nippon cup rubber, not worth it

e: https://www.nizkeyboard.com/products/niz-2019-new-atom-68-ec-bluetooth-keyboard-rgb-or-non-rgb?variant=30346364059719 drat if this sucker was programmable with qmk i'd finally replace my aging hhkb pro 2, the greatest of all keyboards

Yeah thats what this is but the non-rgb one. I think im in love actually. It's less janky than anything else I've used. Smooooth action.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

redeyes posted:

Yeah thats what this is but the non-rgb one. I think im in love actually. It's less janky than anything else I've used. Smooooth action.

topre/EC are basically rubber domes, but good

no switches. just smooth af

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

FuzzySlippers posted:

I bought an actually split keyboard (Kinesis Freestyle Edge) to try to deal with persistent shoulder pain I've been getting on the computer (already have tenkeyless, trackball, good chair, adjustable desk, etc so I've gone down the usual routes). I wanted something I could easily return and had a normal key layout so I wasn't very interested in the more esoteric options (uhk, ergodex, etc). So far it feels super weird to type on. It's like I'm not even typing but just wiggling my fingers independently and words appear on the screen. I suppose I'll just get used to it eventually. Anyone have this keyboard and end up happy with it? Any tips for getting used to it?

Tips - start with the keyboard only slightly split and start moving it apart more as you get more comfortable with it. That's how I did it - started with like, no angle between, then slight angle, then split and angled. Took weeks to get used to having them shoulder width apart, but it did happen.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Malcolm XML posted:

Google the Hasu USB-USB converter. It's TMK, but you can flash QMK onto it - it's explicitly supported in the QMK tree.

It's a little USB to USB adapter that you plug any keyboard into to make it a QMK keyboard. Very nifty. I've used it with QMK to program an Atom 66, works great. No reason for it not to work with the Atom 68.

Hasu started the whole thing with TMK which was later forked to QMK, which is why QMK will run on most TMK devices.

E: For anyone who wants a function row with the exact same layout and width, check out the Niz Micro 82.

E2: If you want to buy it directly from Hasu: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=72052.0

I did and they ship quickly. They're doing all kinds of cool things for HHKBs and Leopolds and reverse engineered a bunch of stuff, so it's kinda nice to support them.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Dec 31, 2019

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Quote is not edit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Exit Strategy posted:

I know Mike, the owner of NovelKeys, and he's a good dude whose business I like supporting.

Mike is good people, though I've only interacted with him online and through buying many of his products. He designed the Kailh BOX Royal switch, which I excitedly bought a sack of when they first came out, but it turned out not to be what I was looking for.

Shamefully, the v1 Zilents were there perfect switch for me :negative: