Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

NachtSieger posted:

Okay, legitimate question. How the hell do you even bear to do Eureka? What's your secret? Even the lowest "I just entered Eureka" tier of Eureka I've tried is probably one of the most exhausting things I've ever done in FF14 in terms of how criminally boring it is.

Boring to me is endless strings of clicking exclamation marks over people’s heads then hearing them blather about fetching bear asses, the post-WoW MMO formula.

Eureka when you’re levelling is a super chill experience where you put something on Netflix and murder mobs for a half hour, then when you’re done you move on to a new area. It’s something nice and laid back to do that doesn’t require constant travel from zone to zone. Instead you get to actually sink your teeth into the zone in a way modern MMOs don’t bother with. I barely remember any of the questing zones in SB and ShB, they’re just meaningless backdrops you charge around to click exclamation points. There might be memorable quest NPCs, but the zones themselves are blank wallpaper. There’s no sense of danger or risk involved, no reason to explore any of it, it’s just auto running to the next NPC to click.

Once you’re done levelling you get to enjoy a FATE train reminiscent of the best days of ARR. The zones feel alive with so many people not isolated into their own personal instances. (Reminiscent of old LOIO chat in EQ or Barrens chat for WoW people) You start to get to know the people you’re FATE training with, it’s a much more social experience than most MMO content.

After the boring slog of 2.5 expansions worth of MSQ in under two months Eureka is the perfect antidote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I was skeptical of E3 and E4 because of the theme retread but they’re now some of my favorite fights in the game. It has me super hyped for the next tier.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

BGrifter posted:

Eureka: Pyros is AWESOME. The levels are flying by, averaging less than 30 minute per level up to 47. Any time I get an adaptation or hit a chain boost I get half a million XP from the kill. :stare:

Only sad thing is knowing there’s only one more zone after this one. I *NEED* a ShB version of Eureka nowwwwwwww.

I would like to introduce you to the short story called "The Monkey's Paw". You will indeed get a version of Eureka for ShB, except it will be back to being incredibly terrible.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

(Eden)I cannot wait for the Shiva remix.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know
Eden

That's not titan! That's a giant death robot. Also is this it? The quest just ends? Oh no I now have to wait for content to come out instead of having years of content to fly through. Also oracle of darkness? Did they come from another world? Is it Ryne's mirror? They're hiding the face. We never heard her voice. There's something there. Eden must have been a super weapon from space that came from another world to blow up this world to save the other world? Maybe.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Maguoob posted:

I would like to introduce you to the short story called "The Monkey's Paw". You will indeed get a version of Eureka for ShB, except it will be back to being incredibly terrible.

Beats more mindless ! clicking. :shrug:

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah the explanation is always "Aetherology is the prime mover," because otherwise explain how a lalafell tank has enough leverage to go Rules of Nature with Susano

Doing so while wearing a leather loincloth, a pig's head and nothing else.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

BGrifter posted:

Boring to me is endless strings of clicking exclamation marks over people’s heads then hearing them blather about fetching bear asses, the post-WoW MMO formula.

Eureka when you’re levelling is a super chill experience where you put something on Netflix and murder mobs for a half hour, then when you’re done you move on to a new area. It’s something nice and laid back to do that doesn’t require constant travel from zone to zone. Instead you get to actually sink your teeth into the zone in a way modern MMOs don’t bother with. I barely remember any of the questing zones in SB and ShB, they’re just meaningless backdrops you charge around to click exclamation points. There might be memorable quest NPCs, but the zones themselves are blank wallpaper. There’s no sense of danger or risk involved, no reason to explore any of it, it’s just auto running to the next NPC to click.

Once you’re done levelling you get to enjoy a FATE train reminiscent of the best days of ARR. The zones feel alive with so many people not isolated into their own personal instances. (Reminiscent of old LOIO chat in EQ or Barrens chat for WoW people) You start to get to know the people you’re FATE training with, it’s a much more social experience than most MMO content.

After the boring slog of 2.5 expansions worth of MSQ in under two months Eureka is the perfect antidote.

:psyduck: that HW is a "boring slog"

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

If you have job specific gear as the glamour on a plate, it will just show the default appearance if the job gear isn't valid for that job.

You can, however, make a specific plate for each job, with job-specific gear or not. Link them to your gearset and it will switch the appearance, even if the base items are the same.

Ah poo poo, after not even a minute of poking around I finally saw the Link option in the menu in the gear set menu, after 71 and a half days of being FF14 online :doh:

The only menu I have basically never taken a look at.

BGrifter posted:

So this sounds like the exact reason I fled old MMOs like it doused me in gasoline and gave me a five second headstart while holding a blowtorch. I think I'll go back to never picking up Eureka, since it seems like everyone in there vastly outlevels me, which will make leveling impossible because of how I've been told partying works in Eureka.

Also it takes dungeon amounts of time to kill a single monster, except I'm not in a party. It's horrendously slow and painful and every time I've tried Netflixing Eureka it's never worked because I have to pay too much attention to focus on watching something else.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I wish the echo bonus in Pagos was even bigger so that I don't need to actually pay attention whilst light farming. The only thing worse than boring is boring that demands you do a rotation.

Hell, I'd rather just and sub for FFXI again because at least whilst I'm grinding there I only have to do an action every minute or so.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

SirSamVimes posted:

:psyduck: that HW is a "boring slog"

The story parts were great! The constant “click !, run to another zone, click !, repeat for dozens of hours” has been run into the ground by almost two decades of MMOs.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

BGrifter posted:

The story parts were great! The constant “click !, run to another zone, click !, repeat for dozens of hours” has been run into the ground by almost two decades of MMOs.
I'm not gonna tell you that your fun is invalid but it does seem like these are two different (if relatively similar) types of games which happen to have the same tag. I don't mind that Eureka exists but "cruise around and do something else" for me is kind of a non-starter; I'd use gathering for that, or I'd just.. not run FFXIV while doing it.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
End of 4.3

Wait.
Is Zenos in someone else's body, and an Ascian is possessing Zenos' dead body? Also I didn't know they could possess the dead.
:psypop:

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I will never understand the "X is fun if you just watch something on Netflix" thing. Or at least how that could be a positive thing. It always reads to me as it's fun as long as you have something else to distract you from it, which makes it seem like it's not actually very fun in the first place.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

wizardofloneliness posted:

I will never understand the "X is fun if you just watch something on Netflix" thing. Or at least how that could be a positive thing. It always reads to me as it's fun as long as you have something else to distract you from it, which makes it seem like it's not actually very fun in the first place.
I can buy it for something that's very generally placid and inactive, like fishing, but it's weird to think it's true for an engaging combat scenario.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Nessus posted:

I'm not gonna tell you that your fun is invalid but it does seem like these are two different (if relatively similar) types of games which happen to have the same tag. I don't mind that Eureka exists but "cruise around and do something else" for me is kind of a non-starter; I'd use gathering for that, or I'd just.. not run FFXIV while doing it.

We’ve been discussing it in FC chat and it occurs to me that a big part of why I love Eureka is that it’s something different. It flopped for a lot of people, I get that it doesn’t appeal to everyone, but at least they’re trying stuff outside the same tired old WoW formula.

XIV is already the best possible version of WoW. I like that they’re willing to try unconventional things trying to find ways to transcend those limitations. Modern Eureka draws from the past and tries to figure out why we found those old MMOs so drat compelling, without being part of the core gameplay experience of XIV. There was a certain magic to games like EverQuest and FFXI that isn’t present in WoW or XIV. Whether that can be tapped into in a way that’s palatable to a 2019 MMO audience though is tough to say, but I’m thrilled they’re trying.

It feels like we’re *way* overdue for someone to figure out what the next evolution of the genre needs to look like. In the same way WoW’s questing system supplanted EQ/XI’s monster grind, we’re desperate for something to replace “find the !, then find the next !” as a way to knit together all the story beats. They’ve got the storytelling down pat, but the gameplay between cutscenes is feeling rather tired.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

They've got a lead on reverse engineering Alagan equipment as well, and have tons of Alagan documents at their disposal.
Tons of Allagan documents sounds like the stuff we shovel at Rowena for new clothes. Now I'm imagining a FFXIV clicker game where the amount of tomestones we gather is measured with 4 digit exponents.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Algid posted:

If we assume the Echo is what allows physical travel through the rift she should be able to manage that as well as the WoL.

Ryne has all of Minfillia's powers which means stepping from world to world is deffo in her purview

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Zeruel posted:

End of 4.3

Wait.
Is Zenos in someone else's body, and an Ascian is possessing Zenos' dead body? Also I didn't know they could possess the dead.

Rewatch the pre-Leviathan cutscenes where they establish stuff about the Echo.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Zeruel posted:

End of 4.3

Wait.

This is something that's brought up in the HW Summoner quests. Possessing a dead body is easy mode for Ascians - even the low level chumps can do it. It takes power to take over a live body, like Lahabrea did to Thancred. And, uh, what Zenos did.

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012

This is something that's brought up in the HW Summoner quests. Possessing a dead body is easy mode for Ascians - even the low level chumps can do it. It takes power to take over a live body, like Lahabrea did to Thancred. And, uh, what Zenos did.

When did Zenos take over a live body? I thought the Ala Mhigan resistance samurai he's piloting around was a corpse?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Velveteen posted:

Eden third boss

Wait what? We are going to redo all the primals we've fought before? That seems lazy. Also I don't remember leviathan having two heads. We did have to fight a tail and a head so maybe our warrior of light is a little confused and created this thing.

We're saving the world! We're clearing out the empty light exploded area! I'm going to be so sad to leave Ryne behind after we're done with the first. Dadcred is going to be so sad. Unless she decides to hop over with us but then she won't be able to travel with her body and end up like us. So its never meant to be.

They're completely different fights with radically different mechanics. Not even the boss models are the same. It's definitely not lazy.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Sinner Sandwich posted:

When did Zenos take over a live body? I thought the Ala Mhigan resistance samurai he's piloting around was a corpse?

He managed to control Shinryu for some time, thats pretty stronk

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

BGrifter posted:

It feels like we’re *way* overdue for someone to figure out what the next evolution of the genre needs to look like. In the same way WoW’s questing system supplanted EQ/XI’s monster grind, we’re desperate for something to replace “find the !, then find the next !” as a way to knit together all the story beats. They’ve got the storytelling down pat, but the gameplay between cutscenes is feeling rather tired.

I am absolutely not looking to replace quests. Quests are cool. I levelled all the jobs in this game strictly so i could do the quests and get them off my pristine map. If Eureka had endless repeatable quests in addition to its 20 year old gameplay, I would never have had a problem with it.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Sinner Sandwich posted:

It might have been. I can't remember if it ever showed where that Elezen body came from. Aside from that, he trolled around in Shinryu.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Ryne has all of Minfillia's powers which means stepping from world to world is deffo in her purview

Wasn't Minfillia only able to worldhop through surrendering her own physical form, much like how the Warriors of Darkness did?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

SirSamVimes posted:

Wasn't Minfillia only able to worldhop through surrendering her own physical form, much like how the Warriors of Darkness did?

Yeah. 3.4 She was dead and already in the lifestream for it to happen.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

boring slog... wow

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

NachtSieger posted:

Isn't that just a normal function of making plates with job specific gear?

You can manually switch the plates in city zones after you change jobs, but if you make, say, a RDM plate and a SMN plate, you'll need to go into your gear set list and select the option to link that gearset to a glamour plate, so that it automatically applies the glamours when you select the gearset to change your job.

Of note: It won't work if you're not in an area where plates can be applied. So, you can flip between plates as much as you want in any of the major cities but if you're out in the wild it won't apply. They haven't figured out (and I'm not sure if they can) how to make glamour plates applicable everywhere.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Ibblebibble posted:

I wish the echo bonus in Pagos was even bigger so that I don't need to actually pay attention whilst light farming.

I recommend doing Coldbox farming instead. You accidentally get a full bar of light that way and it's less noticeably boring.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Leofish posted:

You can manually switch the plates in city zones after you change jobs, but if you make, say, a RDM plate and a SMN plate, you'll need to go into your gear set list and select the option to link that gearset to a glamour plate, so that it automatically applies the glamours when you select the gearset to change your job.

Of note: It won't work if you're not in an area where plates can be applied. So, you can flip between plates as much as you want in any of the major cities but if you're out in the wild it won't apply. They haven't figured out (and I'm not sure if they can) how to make glamour plates applicable everywhere.

IIRC it can be done but it's limited to cities (not dissimilar to the dresser limited to inns) because the amount of data each character and their inventory/armory/etc. represents is stupid big and it'll take a bigger overhaul to unfuck it.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Yeah, game's pretty fun. Resubbed and bought the expansions, even if all I've been doing is leveling Scholar from 50ish since it's actually fun now for whatever reason. Never liked it much when I was playing it back 3 years ago.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

A cheery photo for this batch of you crossing past 4.3's trial

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Failboattootoot posted:

I am absolutely not looking to replace quests. Quests are cool. I levelled all the jobs in this game strictly so i could do the quests and get them off my pristine map. If Eureka had endless repeatable quests in addition to its 20 year old gameplay, I would never have had a problem with it.

Quest dialogue/cutscenes are cool, collecting bear asses or riding to the next destination are not cool. It’s been done to death in every MMO and half the single player games since WoW launched.

There’s tons of compelling gameplay in XIV, but the parts between cutscenes in the MSQ ain’t it.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know
I should give eureka a try but I have no idea what it is. Apparently you need to queue into it like a duty? Is it not a zone where you can hang out but some open dungeon with a group of people?

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Velveteen posted:

I should give eureka a try but I have no idea what it is. Apparently you need to queue into it like a duty? Is it not a zone where you can hang out but some open dungeon with a group of people?

It's both.

You unlock it in Rhalgr's but get to it from a guy in Kugane. You go to one of four large instanced zones that allow mounts but not flying.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Velveteen posted:

I’d recommend enjoying the first hour relatively blind, exploring the area around the entrance and the intro cutscenes. Then grab a map from that gamexpress site to get an idea what level things are in different areas.

Oh and kill everything that moves. That’s how you XP, not questing.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

I actually find Eureka to be kinda fun now that it's not so punishingly deadly.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

BGrifter posted:

Quest dialogue/cutscenes are cool, collecting bear asses or riding to the next destination are not cool. It’s been done to death in every MMO and half the single player games since WoW launched.

There’s tons of compelling gameplay in XIV, but the parts between cutscenes in the MSQ ain’t it.

No, it's still cool. Look, all I want is some direction and some reason to move around. Standing in one spot killing the same thing is boring as gently caress. So is having to meander around the world aimlessly trying to find where the fun things are. I still don't understand how timeless isle took off because i hated it just as much as I hate the old school camp methods. I will collect infinite bear asses without complaint if it's 3 at a time a few times a day. I would rather cut a finger off than spend 30 minutes camping anything that isn't waiting for a fate to spawn so I can wholly ignore the game entirely instead of engaging with it at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

BGrifter posted:

We’ve been discussing it in FC chat and it occurs to me that a big part of why I love Eureka is that it’s something different. It flopped for a lot of people, I get that it doesn’t appeal to everyone, but at least they’re trying stuff outside the same tired old WoW formula.

I think the big disconnect is that what you're experiencing now in Eureka is not at all what people played when it was new content in Stormblood. If you had to do it without the Echo bonus and a more punishing grind it might not be quite the breath of fresh air that it is to you now (or maybe it is, if you're into that sort of thing, but it might be clearer why so many people disliked it).