Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
Making a thread to receive more downvotes for a bad comment that was already torn apart earlier in the day sure does sound like somebody familiar with humiliation fetishes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for uninviting someone to a party over comments they made about the invitation?

I am throwing my boyfriend a birthday party in January, We have a core group of about 14 friends. There are 2 people in the group, who a few don’t like, I have never had anything against them, but they bother some of the other people.

*Worth mentioning, I make only 1/2 of what the lowest paid person in this group makes. I live at home with my Mom to save on rent but still pay for everything myself. So, I save up for things I want to get well in advance, like this party*

It’s the big 3-0, we have been together for 6 years. He grew up with unattentive parents, and never had a party for his birthday until he was well into his 20's. I decided to plan a party at a local arcade/restaurant in town. Equipped with the whole schbang, cake, pizza, party room etc. It is NOT a surprise party, and when I asked him if he would want to do this it was a resounding YES! (we as a smaller group frequent this place occasionally)

About a week ago, I mailed out the invitations (I handmade because I'm saving wherever I can!) Included on it let the guest know each "partygo-er" would receive a voucher from the place for a certain amount of credits towards games/activities to spend as each person wishes. I am also paying for the food for everyone, the cake, and gift bags. (yes I know he's 30 not 10, but we are going for nostalgia here!) I let them know about the vouchers so that if they wanted to play MORE then they would know to bring money (for reference you could do about 4 big games, or 12 arcade games per voucher)

Earlier today, I got a screenshot from a group chat that I am not in, mocking my invitation, saying it looked cheap, and that not only did this party sound lame, but they can't understand why I wouldn't spring for the larger package so people could play more? I got the screenshot from a close friend who is in the chat, and said she "I can't with these people sometimes" Honestly, I was/am super mad. This party over all is going to cost me about $500.00 much more than I would have spent on just a dinner/present for my boyfriend.

I texted the 2 in question and said "Sorry you didn't like the invitation, but rest assured, you can throw it away and disregard it"

I got a text from bf asking what happened, I sent the screen shots, and he agreed it was in poor taste, but that it's his party and he wants them there. I said "It's a public place, I can't stop them from showing up, but I will not pay for them to eat/play" Which he agreed to. HOWEVER NOW I'm getting texts from original people saying I'm being a bitch, and selfish, and even 1 or 2 others in the group are saying I'm going to far, and to just let it go, that I wasn't even supposed to see it and it shouldn’t have been sent to me and that people are allowed to have opinions. AITA?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

razorrozar posted:

AITA for using an inside joke?

i am really not entirely sure what's going on here but "[boy] can't be gay because he's trans" is a hell of a hot take

p much impossible to tell what this guy means with the language barrier

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

razorrozar posted:

AITA for losing my patience with a friend when she's OTT upset over a movie character?

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Cyks posted:

Making a thread to receive more downvotes for a bad comment that was already torn apart earlier in the day sure does sound like somebody familiar with humiliation fetishes.

Just give me what I want and I'll be on my way

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

How to settle religious differences between Egyptian Muslim (m, 22) and American Christian (f, 22)?

As seen in the title, my boyfriend is Muslim and I was raised Christian, but lean culturally Christian.

He takes the Quran very literally. When I told a story about how Jesus was against stoning because all of us are hypocrites who sinned, he said that he supports stoning adulterers because that's what stated in the Quran. When I asked what would happen if our child was gay, he just said that that won't happen. Given that he said in the past that he doesn't support homosexuality because that's what stated in the Quran, I think he wouldn't want our child to be gay. But oddly enough, he's OK with me being bisexual? When I tried to show him evidence from doctors that having sex during the period was OK, he dismissed it, saying the author might not be a real doctor. (FYI: I wouldn't mind not having sex on my period in a normal relationship where we see each other face-to-face but because we're in an LDR where we only see each other every 2-5 months, it makes it more difficult for me to support that.)

There are some sweet quotes in the Quran (when Prophet Muhammad [PBUH] said that those who have disabled children will automatically go to heaven and that the mother is more important than the father (correct me if I'm wrong on this?). And I'm not claiming all those who follow Islam are terorrists.

I also know he's also very sweet and caring. I'm just slightly disturbed by his views and I'm not sure how to handle it.

I don't care that he's Muslim or that we would have to raise our children Muslim, as long as they're exposed to Christianity. But how can we get past these differences? Do any Muslims/Christians here have experiences with dating/marrying someone with religious differences?

TL;DR - Boyfriend is Muslim, I am Christian and we have conflicting views.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Boyfriend thinks adulterers should be stoned, cool and normal.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Smirking_Serpent posted:

When I asked what would happen if our child was gay, he just said that that won't happen.

lol welp looks like everything is in order here, I recommend marriage and children right away.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Smirking_Serpent posted:

How to settle religious differences between Egyptian Muslim (m, 22) and American Christian (f, 22)?

And this is him on his best behavior, before he really settles in to being an rear end in a top hat after trapping this girl into marriage or

quote:

Might have to live in Egypt, advice/help?

Run like hell, lady

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Smirking_Serpent posted:

When I asked what would happen if our child was gay, he just said that that won't happen.

He is going to disown and/or kill your child if they're LGBTQ

Smirking_Serpent posted:

But oddly enough, he's OK with me being bisexual?

He thinks he "fixed" you and turned you straight

Dont loving date anyone super religious if their religion says you shouldnt exist

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I [29M] bought a ticket to move to Australia for my 27[F] Girlfriend during a manic episode. -

I, an American, am in a 1.5 year relationship with a pretty great woman who lives in Australia. I've visited there once and her here. We broke up because the distance was too hard for her and I wanted to finish my bachelors which is just one year away. I didn't want to split, and during a manic episode, I sold lots of my stuff to get the ticket and told her I'd buy one. We've been back together for a few weeks and I know I don't want to break up but I'm also not ready to leave my life or everything I've worked for behind. I have no idea what to do. I've had a panic attack daily since the 2nd when I bought the tickets for the 7th of January.

She's a hot tempered person and I've got very different communication practices than her... so paired with the lack of physicality the distance is very hard for her. Do I let her go? I don't feel ready. I could see myself with her. But I'm so close to my Bachelors, just two semesters.

TL;DR - Bought a one way ticket to Australia to be with my Girlfriend. I want to go and will go, but she doesn't want to wait for me to finish my school in two semesters. What do?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for uninviting someone to a party over comments they made about the invitation?
Your class anxiety is valid and if your boyfriend isn't backing you now, he sure isn't going to back you when his bougie friends start shittalking you at the New Year's Party. Enjoy a lifetime of never being good enough for people who don't deserve you.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Trapick posted:

Boyfriend thinks adulterers should be stoned, cool and normal.

:2bong::350::420::catdrugs:

I like stoned adulterers too

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for asking a friend what role I will play in her company?

Hello, long time lurker on this sub is ready for her judgement.

I (26F) have a coworker (40sF) who Ive been friends with for a couple months now. We get along great and were both the type to be very empowering and uplifting to others. One thing I have been supporting her with is her desire to have a business of her own. We bond over how much we want to be out of the 9 to 5 grind.

Anyway over the past weeks or so our breaks together have gone from talking about personal life and to solely about her business and how she wants to run things, what shes been getting set up.

Here and there she would mention how she would love my help based on my (limited) background in marketing. She also asks my opinions on everything like how much to charge, who her target audience should be, what would help make the whole company more viable. I gave my opinions and told her I would love to help out with marketing and honestly I dont have a lot of experience so I was planning to do it for either extremely cheap or free. This had nothing to do with money just wanting to support her and give the only way I can.

Well I gave her a little help this weekend and set up a list she requested and she -immediately- began bombarding me with texts telling me lists of things I need to do. I got texts in the middle of the night as well. It was actually pretty stressful to have a friend act like that. Things are still new for her company so I understand there isnt a clear vision but she was also all over the place and requesting a lot more of me than what I had briefly discussed I would be comfortable with.

This morning we had a morning break and she brought tons of documents to put me to work. I decided to say "Before we go further I want to discuss what role I have in your company. Youre asking things of me that I can absolutely handle but I want to get things ironed out first. Do you see me as an employee, a partner, a contractor, etc? I want to have this tough conversation sooner rather than later so we dont have any issues later on. I am your friend and want to support you but we need to know what our boundaries are".

She completely shut down and wouldnt look at me and ended our break. She left and said "you take the elevator, im going to take the stairs". Then she texted me that im only in it for money, which Im not but my time is as valuable as anyone elses and I dont want to get taken advantage of.

AITA for asking her this question? Did i ask too soon? And did I approach it the wrong way?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Hello, long time lurker on this sub is ready for her judgement.

I (26F) have a coworker (40sF) who Ive been friends with for a couple months now. We get along great and were both the type to be very empowering and uplifting to others. One thing I have been supporting her with is her desire to have a business of her own. We bond over how much we want to be out of the 9 to 5 grind.

Anyway over the past weeks or so our breaks together have gone from talking about personal life and to solely about her business and how she wants to run things, what shes been getting set up.

Here and there she would mention how she would love my help based on my (limited) background in marketing. She also asks my opinions on everything like how much to charge, who her target audience should be, what would help make the whole company more viable. I gave my opinions and told her I would love to help out with marketing and honestly I dont have a lot of experience so I was planning to do it for either extremely cheap or free. This had nothing to do with money just wanting to support her and give the only way I can.

Well I gave her a little help this weekend and set up a list she requested and she -immediately- began bombarding me with texts telling me lists of things I need to do. I got texts in the middle of the night as well. It was actually pretty stressful to have a friend act like that. Things are still new for her company so I understand there isnt a clear vision but she was also all over the place and requesting a lot more of me than what I had briefly discussed I would be comfortable with.

This morning we had a morning break and she brought tons of documents to put me to work. I decided to say "Before we go further I want to discuss what role I have in your company. Youre asking things of me that I can absolutely handle but I want to get things ironed out first. Do you see me as an employee, a partner, a contractor, etc? I want to have this tough conversation sooner rather than later so we dont have any issues later on. I am your friend and want to support you but we need to know what our boundaries are".

She completely shut down and wouldnt look at me and ended our break. She left and said "you take the elevator, im going to take the stairs". Then she texted me that im only in it for money, which Im not but my time is as valuable as anyone elses and I dont want to get taken advantage of.

AITA for asking her this question? Did i ask too soon? And did I approach it the wrong way?

Congrats, your terrible boss, crazy person friend just gave you a bail out from their soon to fold business.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Danaru posted:

He is going to disown and/or kill your child if they're LGBTQ
Hey now, he might just beat them a bunch and turn them over to a bunch of sadists for conversion therapy.

Danaru posted:

He thinks he "fixed" you and turned you straight

Dont loving date anyone super religious if their religion says you shouldnt exist
Certainly possible he's one of the many "gay people bad, bisexual woman hot because threesome" assholes.

But yah this isn't a man, he's a bunch of red flags stitched together.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

mind the walrus posted:

Your class anxiety is valid and if your boyfriend isn't backing you now, he sure isn't going to back you when his bougie friends start shittalking you at the New Year's Party. Enjoy a lifetime of never being good enough for people who don't deserve you.
Yeah, boyfriend sucks for not standing up for her given the time and expense she's putting up. That whole bit about it not being meant to be seen is such a bitch move, too.

I don't see what's stopping these people from going "oh hey, can we help you out and pay for extra vouchers to get everyone some extra game time"?

Oh, it's because they're more comfortable being asshats than contributing. Right.
Honestly, if he's so intent on them being there I'd just pull the voucher money and have him or them pay their own way for games, though still provide the food and cake and whatever rental fee. Probably wouldn't show up to the party either.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

...Then she texted me that im only in it for money, which Im not but my time is as valuable as anyone elses and I dont want to get taken advantage of.

Yup. The coworker was completely looking to take advantage of the free labour and got called out correctly on it. gently caress her.

Only thing that would be funny about it is if, after all that fallout, OP one up’d her by taking the coworkers’ idea after for her own and was successful at it.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for feeling resentful that my sister had the holiday's with her dying in-law instead of with my family?

quote:

I'm feeling resentful of my older sister. I haven't said anything about it to her and won't, but I can't help dwelling on this a little bit lately.

My sister's MIL developed a disease/condition that is known to take the person's life after usually 3-5 years, sometimes longer, but isn't curable. Last year her and her family didn't come to any holidays with my family (they usually split Thanksgiving and Christmas then alternate every year) saying that it could be her MIL's last.

This year they did the same thing, saying it could be her last so they didn't come and spent them with her. Her MIL lives in the same town as my sister and her husband and they spend almost every weekend with MIL and have for almost 20 years now. My family lives in another state and we have hardly seen my sister since she married. Usually the holiday once a year visit is the only time we see her.

I completely understand them wanting to spend time with MIL. MIL is actually a pretty mean person, she's never been nice to anyone in my family and has been pretty crappy towards my sister, saying mean comments about her and sometimes my sister's kids. But I still understand that she's BIL's mom, and it's sad she's dying.

But, to be completely honest, I think it's sort of unreasonable that for two years and the upcoming several years I won't get to have any holidays with my sister. It hurts my feelings. They see MIL constantly in their town, and I never get to see my sister. Our parents are in their 70's, and while I know they don't have immediate heath concerns, they could also potentially die at any time at their age. I don't understand why my sister and her family couldn't at least make a different trip around the holidays on some random weekend to have a get together at our parent's house, but she always cites her kids's sports schedules as to why they can't.

When our grandma died a few years ago she even tried to get our mom to change the date of the funeral after our mom had everything set up because her son had a basketball game that weekend. And it wasn't like a championship game or anything like that or even his senior year. It was literally a random basketball game that season, for her son who was just a freshman in high school.

I haven't seen my sister or spoken to her in over a year now other than when she randomly texts me about once every 4 or 5 months to ask how I'm doing, I say fine, she says fine, and that's about the end of it. She didn't even call me on my birthday this year like she usually does, and in the past whenever I've tried to reach out to her and email or text or call, she always brushes me off and tells me she's too busy so I stopped doing that because it just hurt my feelings every time.

It hurts because growing up my sister and I used to be super close, and I feel like I don't have any siblings at all, like an only child. AITA for thinking it wouldn't be too much to ask for her to try to make a little more effort to keep up contact with me and our side of the family?

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I know this isn't the point of the post, but they've been dating for six years and she still lives with her mom?

I don't foresee good things for that relationship.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
My [50F] son [20M] is studying abroad with girlfriend [21F] and it makes me uncomfortable

quote:

My son has been planning to study abroad since last semester and is going to be spending the summer in Europe. Of course I want him to learn and explore the world. He has a girlfriend who is in the same major as him and she has recently applied, was accepted, paid the dues, and bought her ticket to Europe to go. She said it fulfills all the requirements she needs and she gets dual credit for going but I really think she's going just to follow him.

Initially, I had a good relationship with this girlfriend but I noticed her personality and beliefs don't follow the way I raised my children. She claims to be part of a Christain church and my son saids she goes to church services with him weekly but I am afraid she is isn't as devout as our family is. This makes me concerned with the topic of sex because I believe sex is for marriage and having premarital sex will send his soul to hell.

They go to college together and both have cars and live off campus so it is easy for them to spend nights together. I do not know for sure if he is spending the night in the same bed with her, let alone if they are having sex. I feel like as a mother I need to know these things but whenever I try to have a conversation with him about he tells me nothing is happening and that I shouldn't worry.

When she comes to stay at our house she sleeps in the guest bedroom and I haven't heard of any fooling around at night. But there have been one or two occasions where I thought I saw a seamen mark on the couch or came to visit him at college and he wasn't in his house in the early morning.

I am thinking of emailing the professor of the study abroad trip and requesting to have tape over the bedroom doors and alert me if there is any suspicion of sex over their semester away. How do I make my son open up and talk to me about his beliefs in the Christain church and the sin of premarital sex?

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
WIBTA for telling my sister I don't think she knows enough about sexuality to declare hers?

quote:

Throwaway account because i feel horrible but i want reddits opinion. My sister is 12 years old and recently put up a pride flag in her room. Shes really secretive about it, but she finally told me what it is. It is a demisexual flag. If you don't know what that is, like me, it pretty much means you have to have a strong emotional connection with someone before feeling sexually attracted to them. When she told me, I kinda scoffed. I didn't say anything but I've been thinking about it, and I want to know, WIBTA for telling her my opinion? Personally, I don't think she has had enough experience or information to make that kinda realization. I really believe if you can't consent to sexual acts, you shouldn't be able to fully know what you are until your brain matures.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
hmmm yes the problem with broadcasting your identity of "not horny" is that you're not old enough to know if you're not horny. checks out.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Smirking_Serpent posted:

it's loving more important to establish these kinds of boundaries early when you're going into business with a friend. a business is not a friendship. it will fail if you attempt to run it like a friendship. establishing a business relationship in the early stages is vital.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
My boyfriend is demanding I give back every gift he paid for [FL]

quote:

I started dating my boyfriend in late 2017. He was a successful businessman and insisted on giving me a monthly cash allowance along with a credit card. In the beginning, I told him I didn't need the cash and I never activated the credit card until a year later. He would buy me a diamond-encrusted Rolex during this time and paid for my relative's expensive rehab by his own offering. Months later, he asked if I would be his egg donor. He originally offered to give me X amount of money for the egg donation and said we'd be together for "years and years" and the children would call me mommy. However, I would have no rights to the children as an egg donor. We talked about the financial part of the egg donation by e-mail. Long story short, the egg donation was completed and he received my eggs.

Soon after the egg donation, he was charged with federal crimes and will most likely be going to prison next year. The relationship began to sour and his budget changed after the charges, so I put off asking for the egg donation money out of empathy for his situation. The egg donation happened in 2018, but no children have come out of it due to miscarriages in the surrogates. During all this time, we have still been dating. He still would let me use the credit card, send me jewelry and other presents, and give a cash monthly allowance. We'd still go on dates even.

Weeks ago, I asked for the egg donation compensation finally and he snarled, "You're just mad I'm not seeing you anymore." He mentioned that he pays my bills and gave me gifts, as if that cancels out the egg donation compensation. Needless to say, my nightmare came true. He writes the egg donation compensation contract and he is extracting every gift he bought me as my boyfriend out of the egg donation compensation, which I never agreed to. I even have texts that say he will buy me this gift on top of the egg donation compensation.

Does he have a leg to stand on legally to demand back the gifts he gave me as my boyfriend?

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

My reproductive business partner

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

quote:

successful businessman

quote:

federal crimes

Checks out.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
ey i'm conductin' legitimate business ovah eah

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

My husband is severing ties with my close friends/family.

My (f 25) and husband (m 27) have been together for 4 years. Within the past years together he has slowly started to disengage with certain people close to me. It started with him claiming that a close friend of mine was stupid and dumb. This wasn't that important because we grew apart as time went by and now see each other occasionally. The problem began with my father. I'll admit my father can be an extreme rear end in a top hat and they've had a few falling outs, but it seems that my father is ready to move past everything. Except my husband wont let his grudge go. It constantly wears on me, but he doesn't seem to care. Talks about the topic end up in a round about argument with no real solution. I find it hard because I respect that he is entitled to his opinion, but wish he would at least accept a compromise.

Now he doesn't want to be around my best friend. Her and I have our problems, but I feel like that's our issue not his. I have limited time and him refusing to not be around my people makes it hard to live my life. If I dont spend my free time with him it's a fight because he believes he "values my company the most so he deserves it". I'm having a hard time effectively communicating with him how I feel and have a clear talk about this. Am I missing something? Am I in the wrong because I have "lovely" people in my life?

Tdlr; husband is cutting contact with my close friends and family

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Pirate Radar posted:

My boyfriend is demanding I give back every gift he paid for [FL]

I feel like there is another girlfriend left out of this story or something.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My husband is severing ties with my close friends/family.

isn't isolating someone from their friends and family a textbook indicator of abuse

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Mozi posted:

ey i'm conductin' legitimate business ovah eah

EY MA

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

razorrozar posted:

isn't isolating someone from their friends and family a textbook indicator of abuse

No, doing that is itself abusive.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I feel like there is another girlfriend left out of this story or something.

It wouldn't be surprising, but I would guess the reason for surrogacy is primarily to keep his girlfriend from going through pregnancy and whatever additional legal control it could possibly give him.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Lucrece posted:

AITA for feeling resentful that my sister had the holiday's with her dying in-law instead of with my family?

The sister is an rear end in a top hat about the rescheduling a funeral part but these types of stories are always "they never come visit us" yet the complainer never considers putting in the effort to visit the relative instead.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Pinecone Sample posted:

My [50F] son [20M] is studying abroad with girlfriend [21F] and it makes me uncomfortable

This has to be bait right?

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Seriously wish I had known about that option back when I was married to my ex-wife. Starting to think she was lying to me when she said it's normal for married couples to have sex and that's the only way to make babies.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I (39m) Love Watching Movies and Television Shows, but My Partner (29f) Insists That We Watch Everything Together.

Preface: I know this is light-weight stuff compared to a lot of the stuff in this sub. It's probably going to seem really petty or insignificant but I really am struggling with this and would like some honest advice...

I LOVE watching movies, and all kinds of television shows. We live in a golden age of content and it's my jam. My partner of several years likes many of the same kinds of movies and shows I do. But she isn't as passionate about watching things.

She doesn't particularly like going out as much to the movies, and she gets bored with longer shows easily, or checks out while we watch them and then complains that they aren't interesting. She has to be in *just* the right mood to watch certain shows, and insists we finish a series together before moving on to something else, even if she isn't actually enjoying it.

She isn't motivated to consume content very quickly, but at the same time she is crazy about someone else possibly spoiling something. She hates watching something if she knows someone else in the room has seen it before her - even if they are completely silent about it. She gets VERY grumpy when other people discuss something she "might one day watch" even vaguely. She'll get upset hearing even the tiniest, most irrelevant factoid about it. Even for a show that is several years old, she will get verbally loud and upset if someone starts to talk about it and has actually left a house party to avoid hearing about something when her demands to shut down the conversation were ignored.

I have a whole queue of dozens of movies and shows that I'm "not allowed" to watch until we watch them together. Some of them are literally 3+ years old at this point. We each have our own streaming profiles, but she has made comments about things in my queue, like "Make sure you don't watch that without me." or "Why is this in recently watched? You aren't watching any new episodes are you?"

One time I went to the cinema by myself while she was out of town and watched a movie she and I had never discussed or talked about. Some weeks later, I mentioned in passing to someone else that I'd enjoyed the film. She was upset that I was talking about it and I got griped at for a week after for "seeing it without her". She insists to this day that she still wants to watch the movie, but refuses to do so because I've already seen it.

So these days, I find myself just simply not mentioning or expressing interest in ANYthing that I am excited about because I know she'll lock it down and I won't get to watch it for months if not years. Instead I watch it at work, or when she's not around, and then just have to make sure I never mention seeing it. It's ridiculous.

What's a reasonable compromise?

tl;dr - My girlfriend hates spoilers but doesn't want to watch shows quickly. She's super controlling about what I can and cannot watch with her and it's wearing me out.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

razorrozar posted:

no you're thinking of giving gifts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
AITA for saying “I love you more than anything” to my daughter in front of my wife

quote:

My daughter is 3, and sometimes gets scared I’ll stop loving her when she does something bad(for no good reason mind you, I make sure she always knows why I’m upset, and that I’m mad at her actions, not her). Today she bumped a glass off the table and started crying.

She asked if I still love her and I said “I love you more than anything” and gave her a kiss. My wife was watching and stormed off. I made sure my daughter was fine and cleaned up the glass and went to go see what was going on.

My wife was crying and calling me an rear end in a top hat who doesn’t love her (I guess I have 2 irrational 3 years olds now). I said of course I love her and asked why she was wigging out.

She said that because I said the above phrase to my daughter, it meant she didn’t mean as much to me. Is this really something I’m not supposed to say? My mother said it to me, and my dad didn’t freak out.