Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Winklebottom posted:

https://i.imgur.com/im51fL4.mp4
A wind turbine went haywire here in Denmark yesterday, and they stopped it by firing rockets with ropes attached at it which then got tangled up in the machinery and slowed it down (full vid in the link)

https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/indland/se-videoen-loebsk-vindmoelle-paa-mors-stoppet-med-noedraketter-og-reb#!/

It is very evident, that thou art not versed in the business of adventures. They are giants; and if thou art afraid, get thee aside and pray, while I engage with them in fierce and unequal combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Uncle Enzo posted:

It's funny how over time of seeing wildly unsafe things how even though this would absolutely 100% not be up to OSHA spec I'm like honestly it looks fine. Those barrels are strong, it's securely attached, he's not standing on the thing he's demolishing (!), the mounting has good control over height and orientation (he's not flapping around at the end of a cable, for example). There's even an extra hoop up higher on his chest, so his center of gravity should be below the railing. Honestly this looks more "handmade but actually pretty safe" more than the thread-standard "how did the person even live long enough to get a picture taken".

its a bucket lift, its just young though. it will eventually grow up to have all the osha compliant hand rails and safety controls

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

It is very evident, that thou art not versed in the business of adventures. They are giants; and if thou art afraid, get thee aside and pray, while I engage with them in fierce and unequal combat.

Good to see someone appreciate the classics.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Yosh!
https://twitter.com/ecusel/status/1030037013188173824
https://twitter.com/itashaaki/status/1030025906696273920

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

Fitzsimmons gives more details on the accident yesterday.

He says crews at the scene described the winds that tipped McPaul’s truck as a “fire tornado”, which resulted in “cyclonic winds” that moved across the fire ground and lifted up a 10 tonne fire truck and flipped it on the roof.

Those inside were trapped, and McPaul was killed in the process.

“I have to pay my respects and admiration to Sam’s fellow crew and those that stayed behind,” Fitzsimmons said. “They weren’t leaving Sam there until police and, of course, the local fire and rescue crew, who so professionally and with respect and dignity worked with police to ensure Sam got out of the vehicle wreckage and was transported away from that fire scene.”

Fitzsimmons says three other volunteers were injured. Two have been released from hospital, but a third is at the Prince Alfred Hospital in Melbourne with serious injuries, including burns.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...f087e8308e663c9

Apparently a 10 ton fire truck fighting the bushfires here in Aus was just flipped over by the fire's own weather system.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

https://i.imgur.com/sPV8Pae.gifv

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

https://i.imgur.com/cMAaAG6.gifv

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Chinese government sent that driver to a prison labor camp for getting in the way.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/H9bcYkM.mp4
:stare:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Crosswinds are a hell of a thing.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Some fuckin' pilotage, right there.

e: there's sound. Forty-knot gusts :stonk:

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Dec 31, 2019

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
holy gently caress

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Perfect crosswind landing nice

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
That's some drat decent flying.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

I've always wanted to be able to look lengthwise down the runway from my passenger window.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
school's closed for an extra week cuz some engineering student who hid in the dorms over xmas break did a YouTube Science Experiment and burned up a microwave trying to make grape plasma

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Wasn't aware plasma came in different flavours

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
oh yeah they got cute, dark, strange, grape, baja blast, illegal party toilet, creepy roomate, and Crystal Pepsi.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

oh yeah they got cute, dark, strange, grape, baja blast, illegal party toilet, creepy roomate, and Crystal Pepsi.

:stare:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

You say that but you have to recognize that they were listed in descending order of how good they taste.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
if you tour their facility you can try experimental flavors like "sleeping in your childhood room as an adult" and "late to a medical procedure you forgot about."

Bad Munki posted:

You say that but you have to recognize that they were listed in descending order of how good they taste.

thank you, it means a lot to me that you noticed.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

school's closed for an extra week cuz some engineering student who hid in the dorms over xmas break did a YouTube Science Experiment and burned up a microwave trying to make grape plasma

Grape under a pilsner glass is my favorite method. You can also use a sliced hot dog.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

You post some drat good content, son. Out of curiosity how big was that file? I had to edit, then open in the imgur app to view. I swear I have a decent posting station.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Burt Sexual posted:

You post some drat good content, son. Out of curiosity how big was that file? I had to edit, then open in the imgur app to view. I swear I have a decent posting station.

File info says 7.6mb

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

FCKGW posted:

File info says 7.6mb

Lol rebooting

Enoch Root
Aug 28, 2007

Does anybody know what type of plane this is? I want to send it to a friend of mine who is a commercial pilot and I'd like to pretend I know at least something of aviation.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Enoch Root posted:

Does anybody know what type of plane this is? I want to send it to a friend of mine who is a commercial pilot and I'd like to pretend I know at least something of aviation.
Looks like either a C172 or an A380. Can’t see the other side so I don’t know for sure.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Enoch Root posted:

According to Wiki, TUI airlines flies primarily 737s, and that sure looks like one.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

The fact that this doesn't have sound is criminal.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Deteriorata posted:

According to Wiki, TUI airlines flies primarily 737s, and that sure looks like one.

Engines too round, no stabilizer rib, it's a 757

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

dexter6 posted:

Looks like either a C172 or an A380. Can’t see the other side so I don’t know for sure.

Dude, don’t do that. It was a legit question.

It’s obviously an An-225.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

And the ignition is still on.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

Dude, don’t do that. It was a legit question.

It’s obviously an An-225.

That's Armalite-225

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Enoch Root posted:

It is a Boeing 757. We know it is a Boeing because the cockpit windows are pointy at the back where Airbuses are all square. 757s can be hard to tell apart from the longer 737s, but there are a few tells:

- there are four wheels on each set of main gear (737s have two)
- the vertical stabilizer's leading edge is one straight line (the 737 has an extension at the base)
- the nose gear is mounted further back than on the 737 (this is hard to tell in the video but you can detect it at the end)

This one specifically appears to be a 757-300 because it has four doors on the side of the fuselage (the -200 model has three).

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Sagebrush posted:

It is a Boeing 757. We know it is a Boeing because the cockpit windows are pointy at the back where Airbuses are all square. 757s can be hard to tell apart from the longer 737s, but there are a few tells:

- there are four wheels on each set of main gear (737s have two)
- the vertical stabilizer's leading edge is one straight line (the 737 has an extension at the base)
- the nose gear is mounted further back than on the 737 (this is hard to tell in the video but you can detect it at the end)

This one specifically appears to be a 757-300 because it has four doors on the side of the fuselage (the -200 model has three).

Lol the osha thread never fails to own

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

We were all just coasting and waiting once the Sagebrush signal was lit.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name
Thank you, planefucklers, that was great.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Maybe not technically OHSA but definitely ohshit, from our friends at the aeronautical insanity thread https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csDRdqMH3Kk

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

We were all just coasting and waiting once the Sagebrush signal was lit.

oh well fine if you're gonna be like that then i will point out that this post,

shame on an IGA posted:

Engines too round, no stabilizer rib, it's a 757

while correct in its conclusion, is also wrong because the 737-100 and -200 both have round engine nacelles (vs. the flattened ones on the later models) and lack the vertical stabilizer extension.

they would never be confused for a 757 because they are tiny little baby planes while the 757-300 is the longest longboi ever made, and the little turbojets on the early 737 are very distinctive.

but the post is still wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I will never curate a thread as much as the osha thread. Ok, maybe the Taco Bell one.