Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Franchises are a farcical mirror of religion in many ways, which is why I advocate de-Disneyfication after the revolution

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

A franchise where one company that can dictate canon isn't a mythology, it's a property.

That's just organized religion. Bob Iger is a modern day Constantine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

imo the only good thing about the new star wars flick was the name “babu frick”

stuck in my head like a mantra since seeing the movie, which was godawful ofc

nah there were a few good things, all only due to prop design people trying to do something with this garbage

Breakfast All Day posted:

Somehow all the people talking how bad this was didn't prepare me for how bad it actually was. Good things (exhaustive list):

- Skull calipers in Chewy's cell
- Kylo's water cooled gamer PC in his quarters
- Greg Grunberg doing "fat guy in a little coat"

had to look up my own post because christ was that poo poo forgettable

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
RoS was Keri Russell's best performance since Mission Impossible 3

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

get that OUT of my face posted:

these two tweets aren't 100% related to this talk about "consumerism as identity," but it's close enough to be relevant
https://twitter.com/BUSSCRO/status/1211320791561900033

if people are so alienated by capitalism then one would think that they'll eventually become more radicalized against it, instead of playing by its rules and doing what it wants more and more with each passing year. perhaps millennials aren't as idealistic and progressive as we're made out to be

i can say with more certainty that our culture in these formative adult years was lamer than that of gen x and boomers

Yeah, this is more a sociology tangent, but the way I've heard millennials talk about relationships... well, more how all generations now talk about relationships is through exclusively marketing terminology, including calling friendships "networking" and talking about intentionality and a bunch of other buzzwords. The real word element is how that hits religion, where I've seen generally good dudes worried they're not meeting some salvation quota with their ministries, as if something like religious conversion is a marketing process instead of an organic one. Every single bit of our thinking, even supposedly separate areas like friendship and religion and love, has been utterly twisted and warped by capitalism.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Culture is shaped by the purse strings, and the vast majority of what's on offer comes primarily from institutional nepotism cases who grew up indoctrinated with bourgeois values

culture is a dancing baby yoda

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Do you think someone could do that Percelus? Combine elements of the dancing baby and the baby yoda?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/lodgepolepines/status/1211830091182936064

Tim is one of the good ones btw

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Culture is shaped by the purse strings, and the vast majority of what's on offer comes primarily from institutional nepotism cases who grew up indoctrinated with bourgeois values
i think it's safe to say that the kind of people who have the access to make culture is a far smaller group than it was before. the Beatles and Elvis, to name a couple, came from more humble backgrounds. you just don't see that much anymore because it's become a leisure activity for the wealthy and well-connected, kind of like how it's been in most of history outside of the post-WWII era

Daisy Ridley comes from a wealthy family and went to a prestigious acting school, Lena Dunham's parents were both established in the art world, Robin Thicke's dad was an actor (he was also babysat by Wayne Gretzky), Lana del Rey's dad is a music executive, Taylor Swift's dad is some finance guy with music industry connections... that's just off the top of my head and there are many other examples

lovely society makes lovely culture

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/JimfromBC/status/1211770164347146240

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Im watching return of the Jedi now and a) what the gently caress is this musical number Lucas you hack b) the :filez: doesn't have subtitles for Jabba lol

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

this entire shitstorm with the new trilogy makes me so, so glad that i didn't really care too much about Star Wars in general growing up. i watched the first six movies solely because everyone else was

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/DavidMann95/status/1211068326933401600?s=20
this is like an art house politics bit

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

gradenko_2000 posted:

RoS was Keri Russell's best performance since Mission Impossible 3

gently caress you, "Waitress" exists. If we count TV, so does The Americans

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

this entire shitstorm with the new trilogy makes me so, so glad that i didn't really care too much about Star Wars in general growing up. i watched the first six movies solely because everyone else was

At this point it’s kind of a wonderful universal experience though. We’ve gone so far down the nostalgia culture rabbit hole that the bad reboots and remakes far outnumber the good, so assuming there was SOME media product that you sincerely enjoyed as a kid, one of the five four three remaining tv/film empires will inevitably drag its corpse out in hopes you’ll throw a few bucks at it,

For many who are currently insulated from the immediate suffering of our corporate hellhole, it’s probably meaningful as some sort of roundabout confrontation with the fact that current system can’t even get the circuses part right and that the bread is probably soon to follow. From there, you either evolve and see how this minor issue speaks to a broader fundamental flaw in our society, or you spend the rest of your life talking about politics in terms of Harry Potter.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I came to this from the opposite perspective where I got super into all the bullshit when I was a kid and am thus OK mentally writing out the huge chunks of it that suck

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

I came to this from the opposite perspective where I got super into all the bullshit when I was a kid and am thus OK mentally writing out the huge chunks of it that suck

:same:

Been doing it since 99, it's second nature now.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

they're called lekku

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

p*lish

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

the only bit of nilfgaard you see in the show is an archeological dig where its evil culture is on full display: free alcohol and conscripting smug mages

they show b-roll of cintra getting sacked every time nilfgaard is mentioned so you don't forget theyre the bad guys

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

i should also mention that the only new Star Wars movie i saw was Rogue One, and that was because i went there with my sister and her (now ex) fiancee. didn't really wanna watch the rest

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

i should also mention that the only new Star Wars movie i saw was Rogue One, and that was because i went there with my sister and her (now ex) fiancee. didn't really wanna watch the rest

You made the right decision

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
I liked Star Wars in high school and I read all the books, but I was also very aware this was not a cool thing to do because it was the 1990s and the worst thing was to be a nerd, so I never told anyone. Now it's apparently cool to like Star Wars and everyone is just watching the movies and talking about them all the time and not getting ridiculed for any of this?? What the frack!

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

the best thing about "Toss A Coin" bein popular is it means we'll get more Dandelion-Geralt interaction in S2, the best relationship in every medium in which the series has been presented

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Bro Dad posted:

the only bit of nilfgaard you see in the show is an archeological dig where its evil culture is on full display: free alcohol and conscripting smug mages

they show b-roll of cintra getting sacked every time nilfgaard is mentioned so you don't forget theyre the bad guys

the black guy who studies archeology tells her that everyone is being fed and don't have to starve and yen is like yeah but it sucks

later Yennefer stands there listening to de Vries while she says a little belief will make men do the worst things imaginable. Hey Yen, remember when your king tried to have you assassinated because his wife gave birth to a girl? And they killed the freaking baby?

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

nikosoft posted:

I liked Star Wars in high school and I read all the books, but I was also very aware this was not a cool thing to do because it was the 1990s and the worst thing was to be a nerd, so I never told anyone. Now it's apparently cool to like Star Wars and everyone is just watching the movies and talking about them all the time and not getting ridiculed for any of this?? What the frack!

https://twitter.com/aquariusacquah/status/1210595050415104001

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

A drat good tweet, Ken.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

Great, so basically I will never be cool.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Postmodernism being all 'everything is actually secretly communist and subversive' kinda seems like a desperate reaction to the stark lack of actual leftist themes in media since the brutal suppression of anything left of Reagan and now actual communists are getting to make media it's become pretty redundant, with all of the last generation's woke subversive allies turning out to be impotent centrists

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

nikosoft posted:

if you grew up in the 90s and are only now coming to terms with this smdh

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)
Cool for our generation were just whichever kids stumbled on a marketable fad first

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
once upon a time in Hollywood

it good

I like how Pitt’s character took every externality for DiCaprio’s poor decisions, and on a clear class basis

curious why liberals disliked the film :thunk:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

nikosoft posted:

Embrace being a trash failure, like me.

Hobocop forever.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

baby yoda became an internet sensation for the same reason that puppies and cats do, it speaks to the yawning void inside millennials wherein they know they'll never have a family of their own

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Dr. Killjoy posted:

once upon a time in Hollywood

it good

I like how Pitt’s character took every externality for DiCaprio’s poor decisions, and on a clear class basis

curious why liberals disliked the film :thunk:

It portrayed Bruce Lee as an rear end in a top hat and beaten by a white man! (never mind that Lee was a bit cocky and it's totally plausible that a fit, former Military stuntman could hang with am elite martial artist).

It portrayed violence against women (who belonged to a cult that commuted murders to ignite a race war).

Identity is important, but it can be blinding. As a Latino, representation is important, but context is doubly important.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
I think this belongs in the game thread, but the outer worlds is pretty good if a bit generic and on the nose with its dangers of hyper capitalism message.

That Spacer's Choice jingle will never leave my head.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Bro Dad posted:

Cintra isn't really portrayed as the good guys either considering they massacred the elves because they wanted to not starve to death. Cintra is also largely considered to be expendable and the only reason the northern kingdoms does unite is because they're afraid that Nilfgard won't stop with Cintra. Everyone is the bad guys in the Witcher.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Probably Magic posted:

Yeah, this is more a sociology tangent, but the way I've heard millennials talk about relationships... well, more how all generations now talk about relationships is through exclusively marketing terminology, including calling friendships "networking" and talking about intentionality and a bunch of other buzzwords. The real word element is how that hits religion, where I've seen generally good dudes worried they're not meeting some salvation quota with their ministries, as if something like religious conversion is a marketing process instead of an organic one. Every single bit of our thinking, even supposedly separate areas like friendship and religion and love, has been utterly twisted and warped by capitalism.

Whoever you're hanging out with are a bunch of weirdos cause I'm millennial and me and my friends and hell even my enemies do not use marketing speak for romance

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

these two tweets aren't 100% related to this talk about "consumerism as identity," but it's close enough to be relevant
https://twitter.com/BUSSCRO/status/1211320791561900033

if people are so alienated by capitalism then one would think that they'll eventually become more radicalized against it, instead of playing by its rules and doing what it wants more and more with each passing year. perhaps millennials aren't as idealistic and progressive as we're made out to be

i can say with more certainty that our culture in these formative adult years was lamer than that of gen x and boomers

the culture gen x and boomers grew up with was complete dogshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asQxeXYFYgg