Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

I got a bump of about 25k by telling my boss that I don't want to go through the bs of pretending like I want to find a new job just to get an offer to show him just so that we can start talking about a raise v:shobon:v

I went in and basically told them about the numbers that LinkedIn recruiters were throwing at me. It kinda worked, they gave me a 15% raise, where I had asked for 30% :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I've been a manager in different capacities at software companies of different sizes.

Having a calm, reasonable discussion is the best first step. Realize that frequently it takes time to get substantial pay increases, so "I need a raise right now" may not get immediate results. Managers up to and frequently including Directors usually have very few options available to add a bunch of salary so they need to go through hoops and might even have larger, macro issues going on.

I'd generally suggest having a number in mind along with a timeframe (could be as much as 3-4 months, so give it some thought on how long you'd be willing to wait) and it really helps if you get yourself in a place where you'd be willing to start looking around if it's not met. I've been at places that just couldn't get people to market and I saw people get strung along because they let other managers dictate what was acceptable or not.

If you do have an offer in hand it can sometimes be mixed. Sometimes it gets you labeled as a major flight risk which can mean opportunities will be given to others, though honestly I've never really seen that happen when my team members have come to me with offers. If You do bring an offer be ready to leave, because if they say no and you stay anyway, good luck getting that doormat rep off you. In general, I'd say have a talk with your manager before getting an offer.

Doing some research on glassdoor every once in a while to understand your market is a really good idea. Though I've generally been happier making a bit less money working in an environment that was more enjoyable, so as a life tip don't get too focused on the "high score". Everyone calculates that differently though.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Please no one fall for the "I can't right now but give me 6 months" line

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Please no one fall for the "I can't right now but give me 6 months" line

get it in writing

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

leper khan posted:

get it in writing

And even then, never expect anything and always be prepared to look elsewhere.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

So is this your burn down chart or what

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Would they need help with that backlog?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Now make it realistic by opening like 25 of them, taking varying numbers of sips, and then leaving them in the in progress queue

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

prom candy posted:

Now make it realistic by opening like 25 of them, taking varying numbers of sips, and then leaving them in the in progress queue

And whenever you pick one you never know how stale or rotten it already is until the first gulp...

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Your pm wants to know what the status on each can is, one by one.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Some of the empty cans need to be filled back up

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Some cans can’t be drunk until another can is finished first.

Some cans can only be drunk by one person who knows how to drink them. Can 2B is labeled “drink can 9S first”. Can 9S is labeled “drink can 2B first”.

It takes two days for someone to verify that you do in fact know how to drink the can, and then you can drink it.

At some point, you stop getting cans and instead start getting the same volume in ten times the amount of tiny sip cups.

Your manager comes by and demands to know why you’re so slow to finish those cans, then tells you to stop drinking the ale and start drinking the cider instead. By the time you get back to the ale, it’s totally flat.

Your dad asks if you can drink a growler for him.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Dec 31, 2019

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
One of your coworkers attempts to shotgun a beer, but instead makes a mess over everything and the sprint is now ruined.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Some of the cans have been used as ashtrays. Your boss insists you drink the half-full can of stale, ash- and tobacco-infused beer.

At least two of those cans came like that, and you don't realise until you crack them open and have a taste.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Suddenly the puke on the floor is bad enough that someone who matters has decided to cancel the Sprint and have you deal with it.

This is 3 sprints after someone puked and 2 sprints after you poured sawdust on it.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

wtf

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

And then the cops show up because the neighbors say you were loud...

What were we talking about again?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/rakyll/status/1212821778600361984

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

This is a war crime

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I'm the hoards of replies explaining to the Googler with commit rights to golang basic git commands.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Xik posted:

I'm the hoards of replies explaining to the Googler with commit rights to golang basic git commands.

If they had anything to do with the ongoing golang packaging trainwreck then this explains a lot

ErikTheRed
Mar 12, 2007

My name is Deckard Cain and I've come on out to greet ya, so sit your ass and listen or I'm gonna have to beat ya.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

This is a war crime

At least use interactive rebase

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

lmao my boss replied

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Blinkz0rz posted:

lmao my boss replied

Was your boss one of the jackasses trying to explain how to use git to her?

Jose Valasquez fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jan 3, 2020

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Please do not tweet my bash history

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Jose Valasquez posted:

thank god, no

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Jose Valasquez posted:

I just thumbed through that thread.

Good lord people she works at Google, I think she can handle git. Notwithstanding that it's a joke...

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Edit: misread post, nevermind

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jan 3, 2020

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Protocol7 posted:

I just thumbed through that thread.

Good lord people she works at Google, I think she can handle git. Notwithstanding that it's a joke...

Obviously it's a joke, but working at google and not having the slightest clue how to use git are not at all mutually exclusive.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Plorkyeran posted:

Obviously it's a joke, but working at google and not having the slightest clue how to use git are not at all mutually exclusive.

I guarantee the average google engineer knows how to work git probably better than I do, and probably better than most of the people commenting in the thread.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 3, 2020

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Last I read, Google doesn't use git, though. They have something (Piper?) that maps the whole codebase as a virtual directory or something, because it's too big to reasonably keep it distributed across every dev's machine.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
So their engineers don't know how to use git because they use something else at Google? Seems like a leap but okay, if you want to pick apart my post for some reason go for it.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Munkeymon posted:

Last I read, Google doesn't use git, though. They have something (Piper?) that maps the whole codebase as a virtual directory or something, because it's too big to reasonably keep it distributed across every dev's machine.
There were some videos on it a couple years ago. Google use a reimplementation of the Perforce server named Piper. If however you thought Perforce was bad (and you would be right) then there was also a git wrapper that had custom push/pull commands for interacting with the Perforce server.

Meanwhile, stuff like Android and open source projects just use plain git.

Progressive JPEG fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 3, 2020

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Protocol7 posted:

I guarantee the average google engineer knows how to work git probably better than I do, and probably better than most of the people commenting in the thread.

The average google engineer is not meaningfully different from the average engineer at any other software company. Since google does not use git internally, I'd expect the average google engineer to be below average at using git simply because many of them simply don't use it regularly.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

"This person works for company X therefore they are automatically masters of every single technology that has ever existed" is dumb even when it's not a company that has 100k employees.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Plorkyeran posted:

"This person works for company X therefore they are automatically masters of every single technology that has ever existed" is dumb even when it's not a company that has 100k employees.

That’s not at all what I said. Just said that they’re better than the people commenting in the thread. But if you want to be a shitheel that’s your prerogative.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I absolutely wouldn't expect your "average" google engineer to know anything about git, much less how to use it well.

That doesn't make people's reaction to that woman any less dumb, though. If she's making a git joke she probably knows git, and if she works on golang - which is a huge public project - she probably does, too. I don't remember the specifics of how the golang git repos are used or if the source of truth there is git or something else, but golang engineers are one of the teams that I would expect git knowledge from.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Progressive JPEG posted:

There were some videos on it a couple years ago. Google use a reimplementation of the Perforce server named Piper. If however you thought Perforce was bad (and you would be right) then there was also a git wrapper that had custom push/pull commands for interacting with the Perforce server.

Meanwhile, stuff like Android and open source projects just use plain git.

The git wrapper has been deprecated in favor of a mercurial wrapper instead. Both are too hard for me to understand so I just use regular Piper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Jose Valasquez posted:

The git wrapper has been deprecated in favor of a mercurial wrapper instead. Both are too hard for me to understand so I just use regular Piper

Huh, only people I’d heard using Mercurial anymore are Facebook

Beats Perforce I guess