Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
im generally way happier to see a big mob of chaingunners than a big mob of shotgunners in any given situation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

DisDisDis posted:

im generally way happier to see a big mob of chaingunners than a big mob of shotgunners in any given situation

Maybe the only saving grace is that chaingunners die more to infighting than Doomguy but I'll still peg them as worst because shotgunners have a delay between firing while a chaingunner you've got maybe half a second before DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Honestly, I dislike Pain Elementals more than anything else.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I'm gonna say it. I like Quake, but I think the enemy design in general sucks.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It’s hard to objectively judge Plutonia because I’m going into it after UV’ing Doom and Doom 2 but at the same time I haven’t had to reload as much as I did on Perfect Hatred or Tricks and Traps. The cruelest Doom levels completely restrict the player’s ability to move and it sucks so much but Plutonia is all about analyzing the map to know where to fall back or blindly backpedal. A 1/3 of the way in Plutonia has locked a door behind me once whereas Doom 2 would be like “fight these meatballs on a tightrope over harmful floors and maybe you’ll find the right wall to hump”

e: I also like the lack of secrets. It cuts the time I spend in levels by half humping walls and the designers make no intent that you’re fool enough to pistol start.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Dec 31, 2019

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

chaosapiant posted:

Vores are ok if there's a corner nearby to peep from. My least favorite are the Spawns, those stupid blobby enemies that are incredible fast and explode in your face. gently caress those things. Also gently caress Shambler's. Their lightning poo poo is hitscan, their melee attack is hard (for me at least) to predict well enough to get in close range, and they have like 400 health.

Vores have an attack that will relentlessly hunt you down unless you break line of sight as they're launching it, so they're a lot more like archviles than revenants and treating them that way is the trick to dealing with them easily.

Ionous's map in xmasjam2019 has been my favorite so far by a pretty wide margin. It has a multi-wave boss fight at the end that throws just about the entire expanded bestiary at you. One wave is a boat load of vores, baby vores, toxic vores, and baby toxic vores and they're one of the better fights in that arena. The last wave before the final boss just dumps a bunch of spawns into the arena and I went into a blind rage just seeing them, and that was before they killed me 3 times. Still a great map.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

al-azad posted:

Yep, chaingunners are the worst enemy in Doom.

They're actually the best enemy in Doom because they force you to ignore everything you would normally target as a priority. Plutonia just over-uses them.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Glagha posted:

I'm gonna say it. I like Quake, but I think the enemy design in general sucks.

Ogres are a masterpiece. Everything else is fine, so long as the map designer is judicious with them. Except spawns, those are never fun. The roster as a whole probably needs more options at the mid to low end but at this point big spongey enemies are kind of the Quake “feel”. If you shift the average down too far it’ll start feeling too much like Doom, I think.

Quake’s a game where you should be feeling oppressed by terrible monstrosities from the outer dark more than you are cutting swathes through hordes.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Copper Quake made some good changes to enemy behaviour, like decreasing the insane turn rate of vorr projectiles. I really hope it becomes the base for future mods/updates.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Part of the genius of Dusk was having no hitscanners.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Despite looking and moving like Quake, DUSK, AE and WRATH all shoot more like Doom when it comes to enemy count and health. Which is a good thing.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Hitscan enemies in Doom are good for the strategy of the game because of their low-health + high-threat nature. They create priority targets for the player in a group of enemies and having different enemies that the player has to treat differently makes for much more interesting gameplay.

They're also not like annoying build engine hitscanners at all.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Ogres are a masterpiece...

Ogres are legit one of my favorite and best designed and more fun enemies in any FPS. If I get hit by them I at least feel like it's my fault (usually), and they have a close range chainsaw which you can bait and dance around, as well as there bouncy grenades. Two Ogres on a ledge overlooking where you are is always a challenge, but never unfair. I feel like a bad rear end dodging and sprinting and spinning away from their grenades while I'm either unloading my double barrel or nail gun into their faces. Man Ogres are fun.

One thing I like about the expansions (so far at least) is that the enemy roster is filled in a bit at the lower end. Scorpion enemies are basically mobile nail gun turrets while goblins are weak but agile melee fuckers. And they bring dogs back quite a bit as well. Original Quake didn't use dogs nearly enough. They're quick and can be dangerous in packs, but go down easy. Like Metamucil.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

anatomi posted:

Copper Quake made some good changes to enemy behaviour, like decreasing the insane turn rate of vorr projectiles. I really hope it becomes the base for future mods/updates.

It probably won't as a general thing, but it *is* the basis for the Finnish mappers episode "Realm of the Lost": http://www.celephais.net/board/view_thread.php?id=61812

Really cool to see a whole collab episode make it out. Some excellent quirky new Quake mapping blood represented here.

It does sound like they are going to have a tweaked/bugfixed "1.1" release soon so maybe wait for that?

JLaw fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Dec 31, 2019

al-azad
May 28, 2009

IronicDongz posted:

Hitscan enemies in Doom are good for the strategy of the game because of their low-health + high-threat nature. They create priority targets for the player in a group of enemies and having different enemies that the player has to treat differently makes for much more interesting gameplay.

They're also not like annoying build engine hitscanners at all.

It rarely works out though, usually a result of poor level design and hitscan enemies basically have infinite range. I keep thinking back to Heretic and how that game was overall more fun for me because with no hitscan enemies I can be far more aggressive whereas my Doom 2 strategies are creeping around corners or abusing doors which Civvie had a specific word for and Plutonia totally recognizes by having very few actual doors.

Condemn me to hell for saying this but I think Doom 2 is the worst of the Doom engine games. It's undeniably the most influential for the SSG and new monsters but it was such an uneven experience that its predecessors immediately surpassed. Maybe TNT will change my mind on that.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
there's at least 1 doom mod that just adds the weapons/enemies from 2 to the already-existing-levels in the original, right?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Hitscan for me works if a situation is positioned as such that I know I'm guaranteed to lose health, and they provide med packs here and there to sprint to while getting shot and taking out hit scanners. Otherwise it's like falling in lava: you're guaranteed to take damage until you figure out how to not be in there. I do like Chaingunners if for nothing else, that moment of "oh gently caress die die die!' I get whenever they appear on screen.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Plutonia is good and chaingunners combined with Archviles are good.

Badly placed Pain Elementals and Barons are my most hated enemies. They’re tedious to fight.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I eat barons for breakfast, they're sponges but so slow and easily avoided with like 6 inches of space to sidestep. I think whoever designed the mancubus was like "these dudes couldn't hit a fly, we should probably fix that."

Doom 2016 made barons actually scary.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

chaingunners are fine. shotgunners are the deadliest enemy in doom by far

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Chaingunners are alright in most maps but people could stop using Pain Elementals forever and I wouldn't mind.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
2019: actually, chaingunners are good

2020: actually, pain elementals are good?

2021: actually, vores and spawns are good??

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I never had a big hate-on for pain elementals and never got the hate. That said, I also haven't played the wide range of WADs some folks have that might make them absolutely terrible.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
If Pain Elements fired projectile Lost Souls that exploded on contact and only released real Lost Souls when it died, it would be a much less lovely enemy.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Pain elementals are good. They force the player to hurry the fek up and not drain a room of monsters slowly. I also absolutely hate the fekkers, which is probably entirely their design purpose. Like, the entirety of the Doom2 menagerie additions (discluding the HellKnight) are all explicitly designed to do away with Doom1's poor combat habits of "Occasionally sidestep". In hindsight, it's brilliant.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
can't believe its gonna be 1997 in a few hours

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Yeah I find archviles way more aggravating than pain elementals and I like them as enemies because when used properly they really shake up encounters in interesting ways. Pain elementals are not that big an issue, they just demand an answer. They certainly aren't an instant health tax like chaingunners are.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
pain elementals are ugly and not in a good way

like archviles

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes
How the heck is it that some people here can't fight a Pain Elemental? What is this, a thread of Graf Zahl alts?

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.

Rocket Pan posted:

How the heck is it that some people here can't fight a Pain Elemental? What is this, a thread of Graf Zahl alts?

this is the meanest thing you could ever say to another human being

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Is there any Doom Eternal gameplay of the new arch-vile? I'm pretty fond of those fine bois and it'll be interesting how they translate the LOS attack, massive health, and super speed to the new format.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

ETPC posted:

can't believe its gonna be 1997 in a few hours

Meh. In 10 hours I'll be inside of the month where I turn 40. I was just 13 years old playing shareware Knee Deep in the Dead.

That said, I wished I'd kept up with the WAD community yearly since I was there at the beginning. I remember two amazing levels way back in 95 or 96, one was a huge college reproduction I think called "trinity" and another was a level that pulled some amazing tricks (all prior to source ports) like an invisible staircase lined with candles, or a truck flipped over with spinning tires.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I've never been good at dealing with Archvilles. Lost Civilization has an area where it throws 3 at you at the same time plus tons of other enemies and it took my 20 or so tries to get through that area.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

The tricks to beating archviles are to immediately get some object(s) between you and it, immediately focus it down with whatever is convenient (Point blank BFG, even for a single one is often worth it), and try getting other enemies to hit it because while enemies will never retaliate against an archvile, archviles will ALWAYS retaliate against other monsters, so distracting them with exploding imps that tagged them with a fireball is always good.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

You can typically get 3 rockets on an arch-vile before having to take cover. At close range they're also kind of erratic like a pinky that's 10x faster which means they end up running into walls a lot.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

The infighting thing is generally how you can get away with fighting archviles in big mobs, because while you'll struggle to take cover with other enemies chasing you and driving you out into the open, the archviles are probably getting distracted blowing up hell knights and then picking them back up again.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/mikeshapiroland/status/1211864527316357121

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

Meh. In 10 hours I'll be inside of the month where I turn 40. I was just 13 years old playing shareware Knee Deep in the Dead.

That said, I wished I'd kept up with the WAD community yearly since I was there at the beginning. I remember two amazing levels way back in 95 or 96, one was a huge college reproduction I think called "trinity" and another was a level that pulled some amazing tricks (all prior to source ports) like an invisible staircase lined with candles, or a truck flipped over with spinning tires.

I think the one with the truck and invisible bits was uac_dead.wad

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Pain elementals aren't the worst when you can get in close and chaingun them. They have a pretty high stun chance, as long as you can keep the fire on them, they'll go down pretty quick. If necessary, you can move to use the pain elemental as a shield against other enemies. If there's more than one you're going to have to let them spawn a couple lost souls, but they go down pretty quick, really. It gets harder when there's a bunch of space between you and them, Stardate 20X6 had a bit that sticks out in my mind with like, six pain elementals far away across a huge gap and you are stuck on a little balcony, so you're barely hitting them and they're launching lost souls at you from a mile away.

Revenants are still my bane, I've gotten much better at fighting them but they still drive me nuts. I'm really bad at baiting punches, I've died to point blank rockets far more than I care to admit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

chaosapiant posted:

They're both famous:

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/The_Unholy_Trinity
https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Doomsday_of_UAC