Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
How about Peoria county?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Marijuana ate my baby, it's true

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Bloomington/Normal are both going for it. Some dumb restrictions, mind you, but neither is opting out.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

morcant posted:

Decatur is ... really stupid

this

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Downstate has been essentially rebelling against it. Many of the towns and counties in rural Illinois are actively working against it.

Jasper County apparently has a really good initial meeting over it (with people on both sides of the issue having meaningful discussions over it). However, the second meeting had 90 more people in the meeting, all from local churches, who used their time to pray for the county’s misguided ways while making up poo poo about marijuana.

From the point in, the discussion shifted from positive to negative. I saw one county board member talking about how the county would need to hire more police officers and nurses to deal with marijuana use. Another board member now states that he wants the people to vote on it because it is too big an issue for him to vote on (profiles in courage right there).

It's so hilarious (read: incredibly stupid) to me that most of the people who are against marijuana would absolutely bitch and moan if you dared tried to curtail alcohol sales.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's because traditional things are okay but new stuff is bad.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
What about border towns with potential out of state sales? I could see E.St. Louis, S. Beloit, and Rock Island making bank.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

If I was a next to the Indiana border, I would open up a state line store (like they do for alcohol sales) and sell to all those thirsty Indiana residents.

Effingham has allowed sales and the medicinal place received its recreational license. When medicinal sales were being discussed groups came pouring out to say how this would showcase a moral downfall for Effingham...no comment on alcohol though. With recreational, the same groups came out to say THIS would be showcasing the moral downfall for Effingham...no comment on the previous moral downfalling.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Are any of our border states going to have recreational marijuana? Pretty much every border community should be allowing as much of it as possible. The counties/towns that prohibit sales are just letting tax money go to the next town over.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Could always boat out on the lake and buy/sell with Michigan residents. :v:

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

So far, no other neighbor state has allowed use for either medicinal or recreational. Michigan has allowed both so sorry for no Weed Boat business.

My brother in law, a big Republican, wants to start a marijuana edible truck. I told him the name should be Life Is a HighWay.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Cairo is about to be the closest place you could buy legal weed for most of the country.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Maybe it will revive the entire town because Gods knows, it would take a miracle to do that.

So my dipshit rep Darren Bailey posted some article saying that using marijuana legally in Illinois will make it so you cannot purchase guns. I posted an article and a guy from high school posted an ATF letter from 2011 to show how the ATF states that you cannot use marijuana even in legal states and purchase a gun. Never mind the fact that in the 7 years of recreational use, I cannot find anyone who has been denied a gun purchase for legal use.

These guys just need to worry about their guns while combining it with their hatred of whatever they deem to immoral.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Source4Leko posted:

Cairo is about to be the closest place you could buy legal weed for most of the country.

Cay-row

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

reitetsu fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jun 25, 2020

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Heath posted:

How about Peoria county?

This is actually where my original question is about! :v:

Someone was telling me that Peoria was initially against it, and Tazewell pretty much said "That's okay with us! Come on across the river, everyone!" and Peoria nigh-instantly changed their tune.

However, all I can find are lovely PJStar articles from October that mention one place that "might" be through the red tape and ready to sell by Jan 1. I texted one friend who I thought would know about this stuff, and he said he had no idea yet. I suppose I can reach out to some of my friends from the theater days and see if 1). They're still into that and 2). If they know anything. :shrug:

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

morcant posted:

I got a friend in Moline and he told me that their local dispensary is going to be in Milan.

Then he told me it's actually pronounced "My-lin"

I have friend who grew up in Aledo IL, and thats how he said everyone pronounced it as well.

Probably more of a question for the general Chicago thread, but what happens on the 1st with weed being legal? I assume the current medical only only stores go open for everyone right? Is there a list of new store that will be opening up somewhere?

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

morcant posted:

I got a friend in Moline and he told me that their local dispensary is going to be in Milan.

Then he told me it's actually pronounced "My-lin"

There is a small town named Versailles in western Illinois. It is pronounced ver-SALES. Illinois rules.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Bugsy posted:

I have friend who grew up in Aledo IL, and thats how he said everyone pronounced it as well.

Probably more of a question for the general Chicago thread, but what happens on the 1st with weed being legal? I assume the current medical only only stores go open for everyone right? Is there a list of new store that will be opening up somewhere?

yeah there's a bunch of articles up. there are exactly 10 stores in the entire city authorized for recreational on NYD, one of which is holding off due to supply and crowding concerns, plus maybe some others in nearby suburbs. a lot of them are doing gimmicks with nearby cafes or selling premier-access tickets. not all medical dispensaries will be licensed for recreational immediately, it's a gradual rollout.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

San Jose is "San Joe's"

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

silence_kit posted:

There is a small town named Versailles in western Illinois. It is pronounced ver-SALES. Illinois rules.

Des Planes is still my favorite I think.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Mangling town names is a tradition across the Midwest. Iowa has a ton like that too.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

silence_kit posted:

That's how it is in Kentucky, too. There's no way that Milan one is real, though. You can't fool me!!!

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Burbonus

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I refuse to believe this one

Jows
May 8, 2002

Bugsy posted:

I was born and raised in Moline, and Milan is indeed pronounced "MY-lan".

Badger of Basra posted:

I refuse to believe this one

I don't think I've ever heard anyone pronounce Bourbonnais wrong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_place_names_of_French_origin_in_the_United_States#Illinois

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Orion = oar Ian

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Jows posted:

I was born and raised in Moline, and Milan is indeed pronounced "MY-lan".

I don't think I've ever heard anyone pronounce Bourbonnais wrong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_place_names_of_French_origin_in_the_United_States#Illinois

Maybe a Joliet thing? It's definitely an older, phased out pronunciation but my wife's family swears it was a thing in the past (70's?)

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

brugroffil posted:

Maybe a Joliet thing? It's definitely an older, phased out pronunciation but my wife's family swears it was a thing in the past (70's?)

jolly-et

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

lol pronunciation so bad they had to legally change it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bourbonnais,_Illinois
Pronunciation
The original French pronunciation of Bourbonnais came to be Anglicized over time to /bərˈboʊnɪs/ bər-BOH-nis. In 1974, a state representative from Bourbonnais introduced a resolution "correcting" the pronunciation of the town's name to /bɜːrbəˈneɪ/ bur-bə-NAY, closer to the French.[13]

e: a former coworker did a study abroad thing in college in France, and her French friend came to visit a few years ago. She was at first deeply confused why no one knew where "Des Plaines" was when she was asking about it, and then visibly angry at how terribly we pronounce it.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Lyons being "Lions" is up there for me too.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Zarin posted:

This is actually where my original question is about! :v:

Someone was telling me that Peoria was initially against it, and Tazewell pretty much said "That's okay with us! Come on across the river, everyone!" and Peoria nigh-instantly changed their tune.

However, all I can find are lovely PJStar articles from October that mention one place that "might" be through the red tape and ready to sell by Jan 1. I texted one friend who I thought would know about this stuff, and he said he had no idea yet. I suppose I can reach out to some of my friends from the theater days and see if 1). They're still into that and 2). If they know anything. :shrug:

Peoria’s real bad at reading the room, but they’re real good at letting Tazewell eat their lunch.

I’ve heard this one and I hate it.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Recreational and medicinal stores must be separated. They cannot be in the same use the same doorway to access both places. For example, in Effingham, The Clinic is situated in a strip mall with a VA doctor’s office behind a Buffalo Wild Wings. When they received their license, the purchased the suite next door and began converting it for their new shop. The doors to both stores are on different sides of the building. The signage will be different.

Medicinal companies had the first shot at recreational licenses but even then, there was no guarantee of getting it. But even if they did get a license, they had to completely separate the two businesses.

Jows
May 8, 2002

brugroffil posted:

lol pronunciation so bad they had to legally change it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bourbonnais,_Illinois
Pronunciation
The original French pronunciation of Bourbonnais came to be Anglicized over time to /bərˈboʊnɪs/ bər-BOH-nis. In 1974, a state representative from Bourbonnais introduced a resolution "correcting" the pronunciation of the town's name to /bɜːrbəˈneɪ/ bur-bə-NAY, closer to the French.[13]

e: a former coworker did a study abroad thing in college in France, and her French friend came to visit a few years ago. She was at first deeply confused why no one knew where "Des Plaines" was when she was asking about it, and then visibly angry at how terribly we pronounce it.

Wow, no poo poo... Maybe hearing Jeff Joniak Bears reporting from Halas Hall every morning for 20 or so weeks every year on WBBM and pronouncing it right has clouded my view!

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

silence_kit posted:

I know French came first and everything, but to be fair, having a silent 'lles' is dumb.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

TMMadman posted:

I know French came first and everything, but to be fair, having a silent 'lles' is dumb.

this is correct, the real problem is apparent French inability to understand how letters work

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Effingham has allowed sales and the medicinal place received its recreational license. When medicinal sales were being discussed groups came pouring out to say how this would showcase a moral downfall for Effingham...no comment on alcohol though. With recreational, the same groups came out to say THIS would be showcasing the moral downfall for Effingham...no comment on the previous moral downfalling.

:lol: You can smell the meth being cooked driving through Effingham County.

Sailor Jerry
May 28, 2013
Pillbug
On the marijuana chat, the high cost of applying for and opening a dispensary is super limiting to most of downstate.

I've been casually collecting a list of how communities and counties are reacting to legalization, i.e. taxing or banning.

The stereotype of downstate being opposed to marijuana is simply wrong. A large number of suburbs are opposed while a large number of downstate communities are taxing it. Most of these towns will never have a dispensary, which might account for their support. They're just leaving the door open.

Here are some downstate communities taxing the businesses: Olney, Lawrenceville, Mount Carmel, Princeton, Columbia, Effingham, Altamont, Harrisburg, Jerseyville, Peru, Taylorville, Metropolis, and Lincoln are all on board.

At my current count, taxing communities outweigh bans 188-111, and counties are 42-13 (with 9 taxing and banning; they get revenue if a town in the county gets a business lol)

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

:toot:

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1212100370396319745

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

FuturePastNow posted:

San Jose is "San Joe's"
I had a friend from there. I thought it was ridiculous.

And then I think it made it into American Gods, which was weird.