Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Dammit. Sorry about that. I use man/dude/guys far too much as catch-all terms. I gotta do better.

Glad it went well, friend.

Funny how you can correct that after one post, yet Lowtax has to be loving coddled and cajoled into not being a gently caress. :thunk:

But thank you all. I spent the last week with this letter and dinner on my mind. I was lowkey terrified the whole drive there and through dinner. But it all worked out is what matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Pumpkin pie chat a couple of years ago I started brulee-ing the tops of pumpkin pies.
If you're gonna serve the whole pie you can do it all at once or slice at a time. It goes well with the texture of the filling having the crunchy sweetness.
I started doing it specifically because the pumpkins I was making the pie filling weren't very sweet to begin with.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

that makes sense; pumpkin pies are just disguised custard pies

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I have torches for dabs, I can use that to do that, right? I've never bruleed but that would be an awesome way to add yet another level to my pumpkin pie game.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

if you foiled over the edge of the crust you could probably do it with a broiler too

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Any suggestions on what to do with a pound of no-rib pork belly I just bought from my butcher for no reason?

PurplPenisEata
Jul 21, 2004
I WANT TO BLOW DOUCHEBAG CHEFS

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Any suggestions on what to do with a pound of no-rib pork belly I just bought from my butcher for no reason?

I would hop to the Chinese food thread and check out Gravity's red braised pork. (Linked in the op there, but I'm phone posting, so :effort: )

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

empty whippet box posted:

I have torches for dabs, I can use that to do that, right? I've never bruleed but that would be an awesome way to add yet another level to my pumpkin pie game.

Go hog wild the raw turbinado style sugar works best.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Chilli!

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Almost every recipe with bacon in it will work with normal pork belly

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Arrgytehpirate posted:

cracklin

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Can't remember if it was this thread or the general questions one, but last year I posted/ranted about people being awkward about Christmas food - we've got a couple of different dietary requirements (one coeliac, one no dairy, one vegan) and then someone decided that last year, they 'don't like smoked salmon' - the food which has been our traditional starter for about 20 years. Anyway, I was annoyed about that because it was sent along the grapevine to me like they were ordering in a dang restaurant instead of doing what normal people do, which is to eat around food they don't particularly care for when someone has gone to the effort of cooking for you.

This year was so much worse. I did a vegan main, and sides, plus a baked ham for those who wanted meat. Except ol' 'don't like smoked salmon' has now got multiple other dietary exclusions, (none of which are medically diagnosed as far as I know, and none of which were communicated directly to me beforehand) .' but they also declare that they MUST HAVE PROTEIN AT EVERY MEAL!

????

So after me spending the guts of two full days cooking, they very publically whip out a little parcel of cold turkey to have microwaved and put on their plate because eating a single meatless meal is an impossibility. They also comment that 'there's no gravy' and are also either openly rude or passive aggressive about sundry other meal elements. Their partner was also extremely dismissive about really very fancy vegan main I made and was pretty drat proud of, because apparently the very idea of vegan food offends them.

Honestly, it was like being slapped across the face completely out of the blue - I have no real idea what they think I did to justify such appalling behaviour - I thought I was on very good and friendly terms with at least one of them, but apparently not.

I suspect it might be because I cooked a vegan meal but didn't cook a gluten-free meal, and that was entirely because I 100% cannot guarantee that any surface/tool/material in my kitchen is gluten-free. I live with family -they eat bread a lot, they leave crumbs everywhere, and they are not careful about not getting those crumbs into/onto every single thing they touch. I explained this days before the meal, when it was brought up, I thought the explanation was accepted, but it seems it was not. (I made a gluten-free dessert out of guaranteed gluten-free materials and using a set of tools I prepped very carefully before I started, the person who is coeliac was very happy with it, and said so repeatedly.)

I was angry, but now I'm just sad that someone I thought liked me could be so awful :(

edit: Renée, your good news about your family is very heartening and I'm delighted that everything went so well for you :)

Pookah fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Dec 31, 2019

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

:sever:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Yikes. Sounds like someone needs to be promoted to customer.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Pookah posted:

So after me spending the guts of two full days cooking, they very publically whip out a little parcel of cold turkey to have microwaved and put on their plate because eating a single meatless meal is an impossibility.

Ah ha! I've found another use for canned chicken! Throwing at the ungrateful.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Suspect Bucket posted:

Ah ha! I've found another use for canned chicken! Throwing at the ungrateful.

Whilst still in the can by the sound of it.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
And I bet the person that was actually celiac brought their own plate of food they prepared themselves, but wasn't a snotty rear end in a top hat about it and was simply grateful for the company.

I legitimately feel for people that have actual gluten allergies because it makes it so loving hard to socialize like a normal person, particularly if you're younger/single.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Pookah posted:

Can't remember if it was this thread or the general questions one, but last year I posted/ranted about people being awkward about Christmas food - we've got a couple of different dietary requirements (one coeliac, one no dairy, one vegan) and then someone decided that last year, they 'don't like smoked salmon' - the food which has been our traditional starter for about 20 years. Anyway, I was annoyed about that because it was sent along the grapevine to me like they were ordering in a dang restaurant instead of doing what normal people do, which is to eat around food they don't particularly care for when someone has gone to the effort of cooking for you.

This year was so much worse. I did a vegan main, and sides, plus a baked ham for those who wanted meat. Except ol' 'don't like smoked salmon' has now got multiple other dietary exclusions, (none of which are medically diagnosed as far as I know, and none of which were communicated directly to me beforehand) .' but they also declare that they MUST HAVE PROTEIN AT EVERY MEAL!

????

So after me spending the guts of two full days cooking, they very publically whip out a little parcel of cold turkey to have microwaved and put on their plate because eating a single meatless meal is an impossibility. They also comment that 'there's no gravy' and are also either openly rude or passive aggressive about sundry other meal elements. Their partner was also extremely dismissive about really very fancy vegan main I made and was pretty drat proud of, because apparently the very idea of vegan food offends them.

Honestly, it was like being slapped across the face completely out of the blue - I have no real idea what they think I did to justify such appalling behaviour - I thought I was on very good and friendly terms with at least one of them, but apparently not.

I suspect it might be because I cooked a vegan meal but didn't cook a gluten-free meal, and that was entirely because I 100% cannot guarantee that any surface/tool/material in my kitchen is gluten-free. I live with family -they eat bread a lot, they leave crumbs everywhere, and they are not careful about not getting those crumbs into/onto every single thing they touch. I explained this days before the meal, when it was brought up, I thought the explanation was accepted, but it seems it was not. (I made a gluten-free dessert out of guaranteed gluten-free materials and using a set of tools I prepped very carefully before I started, the person who is coeliac was very happy with it, and said so repeatedly.)

I was angry, but now I'm just sad that someone I thought liked me could be so awful :(

edit: Renée, your good news about your family is very heartening and I'm delighted that everything went so well for you :)

:murder:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Thank you all - I was seriously beginning to think that I was being oversensitive and taking this stuff too much to heart, but that really is how it went down - And yeah, the celiac brought their own, made no fuss whatsoever and was super nice about the dessert, they even demanded I pack up a big portion to bring home (because they are lovely :3:)

I'm going to avoid the others for the time being I think - I've no interest in finding out if they are either going to pretend it never happened or somehow try to justify it. An actual apology is extremely unlikely and frankly, I don't want to hear one. If it had been one remark or one snub I'd put it down to a bad-tempered moment, but this went on for about 20 minutes and cannot be blamed on too much booze either, since it was right at the start.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Pookah posted:

If it had been one remark or one snub I'd put it down to a bad-tempered moment, but this went on for about 20 minutes and cannot be blamed on too much booze either, since it was right at the start.

In case you need the reminder, this was 100% premeditated, bringing the portion of turkey is proof of that. They are so small-minded that they were genuinely offended that you weren't serving a meat that they like! They will never get over this, they will never understand how incredibly rude they were.

To them, you were the rude one, and they talked some common sense to you.

SEVER

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Squashy Nipples posted:

In case you need the reminder, this was 100% premeditated, bringing the portion of turkey is proof of that. They are so small-minded that they were genuinely offended that you weren't serving a meat that they like! They will never get over this, they will never understand how incredibly rude they were.

To them, you were the rude one, and they talked some common sense to you.

SEVER

I thought the same thing, that the turkey proves it was all planned! God, it was just so utterly ridiculous and unnecessary and mean. Also, meals in their home are regularly gluten-free/dairy-free, low-salt, and I can't even imagine the shock and outrage if any of my lot demanded to be served food containing those things. I am honestly baffled by the whole thing - it makes zero sense.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Some people are just assholes, OP.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Did I miss what the vegan main was? I'm curious because it sounds fancy.

I'm real glad I don't have to cook for family, though as much as I would probably enjoy making something different for the challenge, I don't think I can deal with the matrix of requirements regular flavour rear end in a top hat family present.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pookah posted:

Thank you :3:
I vote you murder the offending family members for being garbage people who don't deserve your time. Sounds kinda like how I'm expecting coming out to my one aunt & uncle to go. Where if they're lovely, I'll say "thanks for this one LEGO set. But yall can gently caress off and die mad, you're not important in my life. Hypocritical assholes."

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Mercedes Colomar fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Dec 31, 2019

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

idk, the turkey could be a sign of self-awareness about their pickiness, and because they knew you likely weren't going to be able to accommodate (because of the late/no notice). they were definitely lovely but the holidays can turn normally pleasant people into monsters. i'd try talking to them after a cooling-off period before completely writing them off. but i wouldn't be in a huge hurry about it either; it may well come to nothing

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

someone self aware of their diet wouldn't think they have to have a cut of bland animal every meal

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Have you tried telling them how it made you feel? They were absolutely in the wrong, but it’s worth a shot.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

The Maestro posted:

Have you tried telling them how it made you feel? They were absolutely in the wrong, but it’s worth a shot.

Chances are they'll just deny everything and make out I imagined it all :(

I've known them for a very very long time and while this particular behaviour is exceptional and unusual, a tendency to flatly deny any wrongdoing is not. I suspect that other people who were at the meal might have expressed some honest opinions on how they acted though.

Also the super-fancy-pants vegan thing was a big decorative pastry thing. Probably not really all that fancy, but fancier than I am used to making :)

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

The more you vaguepost about it the more I wanna know what it is!!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Pookah posted:

Chances are they'll just deny everything and make out I imagined it all :(

I've known them for a very very long time and while this particular behaviour is exceptional and unusual, a tendency to flatly deny any wrongdoing is not. I suspect that other people who were at the meal might have expressed some honest opinions on how they acted though.

Also the super-fancy-pants vegan thing was a big decorative pastry thing. Probably not really all that fancy, but fancier than I am used to making :)

They can go and gently caress themselves. I can’t imagine they bring much pleasure or joy to your life. Sever.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
You could try talking to them, or you could assume they don’t care and forever hold it against them and set yourself up for the same disappointment next event

Or you could sever from people you’ve known for a long time just because of holiday selfishness

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The Maestro posted:

You could try talking to them, or you could assume they don’t care and forever hold it against them and set yourself up for the same disappointment next event

Or you could sever from people you’ve known for a long time just because of holiday selfishness

It’s not just holiday selfishness though, is it? It’s indicative of other things. Like I think that people who are rude to waiters aren’t just being rude to waiters: they’re horrible people.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

The Maestro posted:

Congratulations on not having toxic fuckbags in your life ever, or possibly /being/ the toxic fuckbag in everyone else's life. Because the only reason I can see to say something as colossally stupid as this particular comment is if you are the rear end in a top hat, and everyone else hates you. Making a huge fuss over a loving meal, and making it all about you isn't a spot of holiday selfishness, it's an indication that the person is a narcissitic rear end in a top hat, who will never admit to wrongdoing of any kind, much like Pookah literally said a couple posts above yours. Nobody who's had to sit around such nasty behaviour thinks that they're losing out on anything by severing assholes. Assholes, on the other hand, seem to think their lovely behaviour is excusable, and are shocked and will make a huge fuss when the people around them cut them off.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Thanks, I love that I’m the toxic rear end in a top hat for suggesting that maybe he should talk about his feelings and communicate the issue instead of just stewing over it and making up possible outcomes. Sure, it’s probably a pattern of behavior, but not once did he stick up for himself. Not once did any of you suggest he should stick up for himself. There are ways to solve problems with people that don’t involve cutting them out of your life forever. Sometimes that’s what you have to do, but they deserve to know why and they deserve a chance to correct their behavior. Get off your holier than thou high horses.

You can’t let these kinds of people walk all over you or it will just keep happening. Perhaps jumping straight to “sever” is the toxic behavior. Some relationships are worth fighting for. And if it’s not, then by all means, eliminate it from your life and be happier.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

The Maestro posted:

Thanks, I love that I’m the toxic rear end in a top hat

I have a rule that if anyone pulls this rhetorical device, I believe them

Even though I agree with your OP

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

The Maestro posted:

Thanks, I love that I’m the toxic rear end in a top hat for suggesting that maybe he should talk about his feelings and communicate the issue instead of just stewing over it and making up possible outcomes. Sure, it’s probably a pattern of behavior, but not once did he stick up for himself. Not once did any of you suggest he should stick up for himself. There are ways to solve problems with people that don’t involve cutting them out of your life forever. Sometimes that’s what you have to do, but they deserve to know why and they deserve a chance to correct their behavior. Get off your holier than thou high horses.

You can’t let these kinds of people walk all over you or it will just keep happening. Perhaps jumping straight to “sever” is the toxic behavior. Some relationships are worth fighting for. And if it’s not, then by all means, eliminate it from your life and be happier.

i suggested standing up for himself

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

OMGVBFLOL posted:

idk, the turkey could be a sign of self-awareness about their pickiness, and because they knew you likely weren't going to be able to accommodate (because of the late/no notice). they were definitely lovely but the holidays can turn normally pleasant people into monsters. i'd try talking to them after a cooling-off period before completely writing them off. but i wouldn't be in a huge hurry about it either; it may well come to nothing

I'd normally be 100% in dino's court. However I've been trying to feel my wife's vibes (she is kindness and light and I'm an rear end in a top hat) and maybe they were expressing their frustration at their own self hatred over their pickiness in a hostile fashion? If it wasn't family, cut them loose. If it's family, maybe talk to them openly but lovingly and proceed from there?

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jan 1, 2020

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

OMGVBFLOL posted:

i suggested standing up for himself
I apologize for my oversight and thanks for correcting me

BrianBoitano posted:

I have a rule that if anyone pulls this rhetorical device, I believe them

Even though I agree with your OP

Hard to blame you, I mean, the words are right there plain as day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The Maestro posted:

OP did write:

quote:

I've known them for a very very long time and while this particular behaviour is exceptional and unusual, a tendency to flatly deny any wrongdoing is not
So talking to them seems fairly futile. I’d add that a relationship with someone who behaves like that isn’t worth fighting for.