Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Tab8715 posted:

Without Natural Gas you are either straight up burning oil, coal or you have brownouts.

It is false to say that we must expand NG extraction or consumption to avoid those things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

CommieGIR posted:

Which means more methane leaks, because these guys are never going to accept heavy regulation.
How have right-wing brainworms infested the left so hard that even in "how to fix the world" fantasy land, it's impossible to regulate industry? If governments and regulators decided to do their jobs and write then enforce regulations that limit methane leaks, it doesn't loving matter that the industry "accepts," they follow the regulations or stop doing business. Can we at least pretend that government, the only actual way of overcoming collective action problems, is at least theoretically able to do that?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Infinite Karma posted:

How have right-wing brainworms infested the left so hard that even in "how to fix the world" fantasy land, it's impossible to regulate industry? If governments and regulators decided to do their jobs and write then enforce regulations that limit methane leaks, it doesn't loving matter that the industry "accepts," they follow the regulations or stop doing business. Can we at least pretend that government, the only actual way of overcoming collective action problems, is at least theoretically able to do that?

Ah yes, totally possible under President Trump.

Also: Does not answer for expanded drilling/fracking. Because what we need is more fossil fuels

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Infinite Karma posted:

because most people, especially in "technical" or "scientific" threads like energy/climate-change aren't even remotely leftist, they've just adopted the idioms and vernacular and argument framing of the left as a way of fitting in or flying under the radar.

its not so much that they're particularly liberal or centrist or even righty as they're depressed and wallowing in learned-helplessness.

fwiw, we're going to have sattelites that can spot methane leaks within hours watching every square meter of the globe within 5 - 10 years. certainly remains to be seen what we do with that info, but its gonna be nice to have it so laid-bare.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Infinite Karma posted:

But the problem is you can't both claim current "coal busting" low NG prices and also assume 0% future leakage due to the impressive power of state control. If we had to retrofit the entire NG system from production to supply to distribution to se before we can achieve meaningful reduction in leakage then it won't be so cheap* anymore.

Instead we have other technologies that are carbon neutral by default, already exist, and are only limited on cost. There's no reason to expand NG production or build new NG power plants at this point. We certainly don't need to open new basins to fracing.

If the goal is to shut down NG production we should be upfront about it and in doing so we will better manage the externalities to workers and communities and thus make the transition far more politically feasible.

(*Using whatever resource measure you pick, not just dollars but even under alternative economic systems, thinking in purely resources, capital use, and labor. )

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Infinite Karma posted:

There is no level of functional "regulation" which also allows the continued existence of an industrial civilization, full stop. What you are suggesting is akin to making GBS threads in a bowl of soup for a century, being surprised when it becomes toxic, and then thinking that if you poo poo 70, 80, or 90% less it will somehow make it safe for human consumption. This is loving idiotic.

It's impossible to regulate industry because the only regulation which serves a hope of saving any life on earth is one which 100% bans industry and forcibly redirects the assets into widescale environmental remediation efforts. Including drawing down industrial agriculture, and the obvious results of that.

Pray tell what government is going to support this. I'm waiting.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
rime, love ya buddy, but back to cspam with ye.

the d&d energy generation thread is not the place for "we should 100% ban industry"

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Rime posted:

There is no level of functional "regulation" which also allows the continued existence of an industrial civilization, full stop. What you are suggesting is akin to making GBS threads in a bowl of soup for a century, being surprised when it becomes toxic, and then thinking that if you poo poo 70, 80, or 90% less it will somehow make it safe for human consumption. This is loving idiotic.

It's impossible to regulate industry because the only regulation which serves a hope of saving any life on earth is one which 100% bans industry and forcibly redirects the assets into widescale environmental remediation efforts. Including drawing down industrial agriculture, and the obvious results of that.

Pray tell what government is going to support this. I'm waiting.
I'm not gonna jerk off to apocalypse fan-fiction with you, sorry

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

StabbinHobo posted:

rime, love ya buddy, but back to cspam with ye.

the d&d energy generation thread is not the place for "we should 100% ban industry"

Tell that to the dying oceans and vanishing insects, it's an incredibly idiotic loving question no matter where its posted, IDGAF. We're out of runway on pollution, there's no room left for making GBS threads in the soup bowl.

In energy news I spent 17 hours yesterday standing on a blade bearing, feet to the void, trying to guide a blade into a tower experiencing a 5' oscillation. Super fun stuff. Real good poo poo. :thumbsup:

Infinite Karma posted:

I'm not gonna jerk off to apocalypse fan-fiction with you, sorry

Willful ignorance won't change the future you and your loved ones are 100% going to experience, so I don't really give a gently caress. :shrug:

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

CommieGIR posted:

Which is why arguing in support of expanding Natural Gas is a fools errand.

But here you are.

Do you think regulation is impossible? If the public can't get industry back under control then any attempt to combat climate change is doomed to fail anyway.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

Do you think regulation is impossible? If the public can't get industry back under control then any attempt to combat climate change is doomed to fail anyway.

Here's the problem with this:

Yes, regulation may work. But the same companies we need to regulate are the same one lobbying hard to prevent said regulation. And then, what they do when regulated, is make sure loopholes are included to allow smaller operations to have less stringent regulation (to prevent "Undue Burden") and then just contract out to those smaller operations.

The other problem being is that you really are not solving any major problems by shifting to Methane, you are just whitewashing another fossil fuel, its about as effective as arguing in favor of clean coal. Its just creating another fossil fuel boom, that will require more drilling/fracking to satisfy.

The reality is: The fossil fuel industry has shown their colors. Through repeated abuse of regulation, to outright pushing for Anti-Climate Change education and propaganda. They don't need another chance to 'clean up their act' because they've made it clear they intend to never do so.

If we could regulated Natural Gas as well as Nuclear, maybe, but again, its just a fossil fuel and so we're not solving anything with it. Just kicking the can further down the road.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Rime posted:

Willful ignorance won't change the future you and your loved ones are 100% going to experience, so I don't really give a gently caress. :shrug:

Banning industry and industrial agriculture would kill billions so you're not exactly setting up an appealing alternative. People would die faster I guess.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Rime posted:

In energy news I spent 17 hours yesterday standing on a blade bearing, feet to the void, trying to guide a blade into a tower experiencing a 5' oscillation. Super fun stuff. Real good poo poo. :thumbsup:

So one blade at a time? I follow this thread because I used to work as a contractor on wind power projects, playing in the dirt. I remember the first time I saw installation of the rotor and was floored. I had thought it would be the reverse of picking petals off a daisy. Just get the entire tower installed and pop blades on 1-2-3.

Instead the three blades were put on the rotor, "ground level", and the entire assembly lifted and installed onto the nacelle. It was really interesting to watch, and this project was heavily treed and space constricted, very little clearance.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Government can't successfully regulate the natural gas industry due to a lack of political will and too much industry power, so instead we're going to shut down the natural gas industry is an amazing take.

In other news, the wind industry needs to accept more regulation.

http://bronx.news12.com/story/41505358/massive-coop-city-wind-turbine-collapses

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

pumped up for school posted:

So one blade at a time? I follow this thread because I used to work as a contractor on wind power projects, playing in the dirt. I remember the first time I saw installation of the rotor and was floored. I had thought it would be the reverse of picking petals off a daisy. Just get the entire tower installed and pop blades on 1-2-3.

Instead the three blades were put on the rotor, "ground level", and the entire assembly lifted and installed onto the nacelle. It was really interesting to watch, and this project was heavily treed and space constricted, very little clearance.

Depends on the type of tower being installed, but in general single-picks aren't done anymore. We have work instructions for doing so, but the lifting capacity necessary for a 130m diameter rotor pick isn't cheap so we stab them individually, most projects do now with how huge (and heavy) things are getting.

It's not supposed to take 17 hours, yesterday was a fuckshow with an inexperienced skeleton crew and management is in turmoil right now.

I see these cheap chinesium pieces of poo poo spammed on my industry FB groups all the time and I never thought I'd see one actually installed in North America. I am thoroughly unsurprised it fell apart, sounds like a failure in the drivetrain.

Rime fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Dec 31, 2019

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Tab8715 posted:

Without Natural Gas you are either straight up burning oil, coal or you have brownouts.

That is false. We love fossil fuels so fuckin much that we have them everywhere, because natural gas is cheap, but there is no scientific or engineering restriction that necessitates fossil fuel power generation.

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Dec 31, 2019

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Rime posted:

[timg]snip/timg]

I love the cardboard boxes being craned up inside the blade.

So on wind "failures." I worked on a project in Oregon where the tower twisted and collapsed, much like a coardboard tube for holiday wrapping paper would. A little twist, gets a kink, folded in half. One worker on top (died), one inside (luckily only injured). Wondered about the odds of two maintenance guys being up on the one turbine that failed. I got a call that morning from the foundation design engineering company "You have guys nearby on another project right? We want you to drop everything and get over there and take pictures before this thing turns into a shitshow." Everyone covering their asses.

And I've seen blades fail an on-site evaluation. Near one project, the developer "donated" the blade to a local park. Kids could play on it. One way to get rid of your garbage.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

CommieGIR posted:

What it should be is abandoned as rapidly as it can be replaced.

Trabisnikof posted:

It is false to say that we must expand NG extraction or consumption to avoid those things.

QuarkJets posted:

That is false. We love fossil fuels so fuckin much that we have them everywhere, because natural gas is cheap, but there is no scientific or engineering restriction that necessitates fossil fuel power generation.

Are you guys reading the thread?

We are so far behind with current energy demand today that it is literally impossible to do so with only renewables. And you’ve got even growing demand on top of that.

The only way this would work would today would be to either reduce consumption and shrink or pause the economy of which so far there’s barely if any political will to do so outside of Greta, The Sun Rise Movement, GND, etc. which are still incredibly small, new but honestly our only hope. Or we could just go back to burning more coal too but that’s even worse!

Outside of that this has already been repeatedly discussed previously in the thread months ago and it wasn’t even my argument. If you really want to continue this discussion go dig up MomJeans420s original posts on this topic and show me some hard data that disputes it.

CommieGIR posted:

Which means more methane leaks, because these guys are never going to accept heavy regulation.

I didn’t say regulate. I said nationalize that way the goal of the company wouldn’t be just to make money at the planets expense and all of the climate-denying shareholders and executives would be gone. The only thing left would be the rank and fill who’s sole job would be to cap the leaks, clean up huge ecological messes and turn stuff off.

I’m also seriously interested in their engineers because if they can make giant oil rig platforms, literal islands, etc. which are truly phenomenal feats if they could be somehow repurposed or those construction services used to design say anything that pulls carbon out of air, water, etc.

Going further I can’t remember where I read this but someone said the ideal Oil & Gas industry would be 8% of it’s current size mainly used mainly for plastics, lubricants, heating oil, coolant, chemicals, etc. but obviously since we based our economy off of growth it’s no wonder they just keep drilling for oil.

CommieGIR posted:

Natural Gas is 30 years too late to be an effective solution. You are longing for a time long since passed.

Have you ever done any reading over the Bakkan Formation or Permian Basin? The majority of that today is fracking. The fracking boom has already happened, is happening and will likely continue. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not happy about it. At all but that is reality.

I can’t find it at this moment but Bloomberg had an excellent article on the West Texas Oil Boom and guess what it is all fracking. Everything I’m able to find at the moment is about the recent bust cycle but there something titled “Good for the US, bad for the World” that was an informative read.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
tab how much could I paypal you to never post again

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Tab8715 posted:

Have you ever done any reading over the Bakkan Formation or Permian Basin? The majority of that today is fracking. The fracking boom has already happened, is happening and will likely continue. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not happy about it. At all but that is reality.

I can’t find it at this moment but Bloomberg had an excellent article on the West Texas Oil Boom and guess what it is all fracking. Everything I’m able to find at the moment is about the recent bust cycle but there something titled “Good for the US, bad for the World” that was an informative read.

So the climate apocalypse is unavoidable. Great.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Tab8715 posted:

We are so far behind with current energy demand today that it is literally impossible to do so with only renewables. And you’ve got even growing demand on top of that.

That's not true. We can do it with renewables, nuclear, storage, efficiency etc. There are lots of technologies and mixes we could successfully use.

We do not need to expand natural gas production or consumption. We very much can use any number of other technology mixes, including things like efficiency and restructuring related industries to rapidly decarbonify the energy sector while neither expanding total NG consumption over 2018/2019 numbers and without drilling new wells.

That's about the question of can we. If you want to discuss the question of, will we, and you want to argue that our bias towards fossil fuels, the subsidies and regulatory control, etc makes anything except more fossil fuels impossible, that's a different argument.

quote:

I’m also seriously interested in their engineers because if they can make giant oil rig platforms, literal islands, etc. which are truly phenomenal feats if they could be somehow repurposed or those construction services used to design say anything that pulls carbon out of air, water, etc.

Also this is extremely engineering cargo cult and at the same time incredibly dismissive of the current scientists and engineers working on DAC etc. But the cherry on top is it is still a terrible justification for allowing expanded fossil fuel development or the continued existence of the fossil fuel industry even if nationalized. If your premise is all this incredible talent would be available for DAC and other marvels, but alas they're stuck calculating mud mixtures, then that's an argument for even more rapidly shutting down the industry.

If you're dream is that Chevron and Exxon branded DAC machines will account for a considerable portion of our future GDP, well at least that fits the overall argument. Big Oil controls our fate so Big Oil needs the biggest payoff to let us live.

quote:

You have to be extremely careful about the dates on the sources you read. Because you're mistaken if you think the fracing boom is still happening right now. Its a bit of a bust atm. Its the classic resource cycle.

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Dec 31, 2019

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Tab8715 posted:

The only way this would work would today would be to either reduce consumption and shrink or pause the economy of which so far there’s barely if any political will to do so outside of Greta, The Sun Rise Movement, GND, etc. which are still incredibly small, new but honestly our only hope. Or we could just go back to burning more coal too but that’s even worse!

Outside of that this has already been repeatedly discussed previously in the thread months ago and it wasn’t even my argument. If you really want to continue this discussion go dig up MomJeans420s original posts on this topic and show me some hard data that disputes it.

I didn’t say regulate. I said nationalize that way the goal of the company wouldn’t be just to make money at the planets expense and all of the climate-denying shareholders and executives would be gone. The only thing left would be the rank and fill who’s sole job would be to cap the leaks, clean up huge ecological messes and turn stuff off.

Going further I can’t remember where I read this but someone said the ideal Oil & Gas industry would be 8% of it’s current size mainly used mainly for plastics, lubricants, heating oil, coolant, chemicals, etc. but obviously since we based our economy off of growth it’s no wonder they just keep drilling for oil.

Your not happy about, your just the same guy constantly cheerleading for it while spouting nonsense about pragmatism.

Jesus loving christ you are dense.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
we should rename this thread name to "energy thread tab8715 talks about how the only way forward is to reach across the aisle and burn some more fossil for pragmatism"

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Can fracking wells be turned into compressed gas storage systems?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

That's not true. We can do it with renewables, nuclear, storage, efficiency etc. There are lots of technologies and mixes we could successfully use.

Let me explain your argument in my own to ensure I am understanding you correctly. Is it - Yes, current energy demand may be meet by entirely 100% renewable sources including Nuclear Power?

If so, then how do you dispute the evidence earlier provided by MomJeans420 that this isn't technically feasible even discounting political aspects as no one wants a reactor in their backyard.

Trabisnikof posted:

Also this is extremely engineering cargo cult and at the same time incredibly dismissive of the current scientists and engineers working on DAC etc. But the cherry on top is it is still a terrible justification for allowing expanded fossil fuel development or the continued existence of the fossil fuel industry even if nationalized. If your premise is all this incredible talent would be available for DAC and other marvels, but alas they're stuck calculating mud mixtures, then that's an argument for even more rapidly shutting down the industry.

If you're dream is that Chevron and Exxon branded DAC machines will account for a considerable portion of our future GDP, well at least that fits the overall argument. Big Oil controls our fate so Big Oil needs the biggest payoff to let us live.

That's not what I'm supporting. I 'm explaining how I ideally envision Oil & Gas if they were to be nationalized which maybe they should be and all the wealth ripped out from the shareholders, executives, etc. but with that I would suspect parts of the company are quite useful. That doesn't mean every engineer, product or service would remain but I suspect some of them could be beneficial. Do you disagree?

Trabisnikof posted:

You have to be extremely careful about the dates on the sources you read. Because you're mistaken if you think the fracing boom is still happening right now. Its a bit of a bust atm. Its the classic resource cycle.

Right now, there is a bust cycle but all of those drills sites are shale which can't be extracted through conventional means hence fracking. I know the Balkan is all if not most fracking but it's largely idle due to low oil prices but when they do go up things will start again.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jun 9, 2021

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

StabbinHobo posted:

tab how much could I paypal you to never post again

PayPal me a solid persuasive argument.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Can fracking wells be turned into compressed gas storage systems?

I'm under the impression the leak natural gas, methane, etc. isn't economical to capture and that's why it is flared off.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Tab8715 posted:

Yes, I'm aware that this conversation has happened multiple times already, the one where you shout "Drill, baby, Drill!" over and over while everyone else (correctly) points out that alternatives exist and can be rapidly built out over the next ~decades, but won't be because Congress is full of conservative assholes. There's no need to rehash it again, I know that you're not going to change your misinformed opinions on the matter.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Tab8715 posted:

Let me explain your argument in my own to ensure I am understanding you correctly. Is it - Yes, current energy demand may be meet by entirely 100% renewable sources including Nuclear Power?

I'm saying there are multiple pathways to zero carbon that involve different grid mixes from the 95+% renewables discussed in NREL's RE:Futures report to a goon's fantasy of exotic ramping nuclear stations everywhere.In particular that there are a multitude of successful pathways relying on the interactions of multiple technologies like storage, demand response, efficiency, biofuels, etc.

quote:

If so, then how do you dispute the evidence earlier provided by MomJeans420 that this isn't technically feasible even discounting political aspects as no one wants a reactor in their backyard.

Technical feasibility isn't political feasibility. But the reason why Kinder Morgan gets to install a compressor station that gives you migraines but Vestas can't get new power lines built for a wind site isn't something related to the company, its just an expression of their political power. We don't need to nationalize O&G to give other power sources the political fiat O&G gets. If we have the power to nationalize the industry we have the power to sunset it.

But on the, on the topic of nuclear, we've had more nuclear plants sited and passed NIMBY concerned than actually built in recent years in the US. Hippies take the blame but its operators who don't want to manage the costs of nuclear. If fossil fuels weren't so heavily subsidized it would have kept a few more nukes operating.

Besides this all falls prey to market based thinking. The idea that, for example, limiting the range of personally owned EVs, is completely unworkable in a market context -- never would fly. But yet, it is exactly the sort of solution that both can very much work in the context of a strong centralized social structure (government) and can provide the missing leeway to reduce energy consumption and thus reduce the challenge of carbon neutral energy production.

Diets, driving, conditioned space, etc all provide space for massively useful adaptive efficiencies that are certainly themselves potential cultural adaptation challenges. And to hold those challenges as insurmountable leaves no room for success. History is filled with examples of cultural shifts far larger than diet and commute changes.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
Here's a graph, which I found on Wikipedia:

Coal started dropping at exactly the same time natural gas spiked. Is that good or bad for climate change?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

hypnophant posted:

Coal started dropping at exactly the same time natural gas spiked. Is that good or bad for climate change?

It's still fossil fuel, so no change. The reason is mainly the price. There's not much quality coal left, so it's replaced by cheaper gas.
As for environmental effects, you trade mining for fracking, both of which affect large areas.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

hypnophant posted:

Methane leaks are now a direct contributor to climate change, and Natural Gas producers argue its too much of a burden to control.

Same old fossil fuels, different day

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tab8715 posted:

That's not what I'm supporting. I 'm explaining how I ideally envision Oil & Gas if they were to be nationalized which they should be and all the wealth ripped out from the shareholders, executives, etc. but with that I would suspect parts of the company are quite useful.

Nationalization of the oil and gas industry in the US means purchasing it at taxpayer expense at current market value. It doesn’t take wealth away from shareholders.

You wan expropriation, which isn’t possible without getting rid of a constitutional amendment.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

hypnophant posted:

In theory, it's better because natural gas emits less carbon dioxide per joule of energy released when burned than coal.

In practice, it doesn't really make that much difference.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Apparatchik Magnet posted:

Nationalization of the oil and gas industry in the US means purchasing it at taxpayer expense at current market value. It doesn’t take wealth away from shareholders.

You wan expropriation, which isn’t possible without getting rid of a constitutional amendment.

That's not hard to get around, you just need cooperative representatives and courts. The value of all those countries are vastly inflated because they don't have to pay for any of their externalized costs. If you pass liability laws mandating that they clean up after themselves then suddenly they're bankrupt and worth $0. This sort of thing happens all the time, though typically to the benefit of corporations rather than to their detriment.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kaal posted:

That's not hard to get around, you just need cooperative representatives and courts.

:lol:

Step one, assume a can opener.

Also multinational oil and gas companies are...multinational. Your fantasy US government can't regulate the value of their assets in other jurisdictions. You either pay that market value or they split the company.

None of this matters because of China and India anyway.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Apparatchik Magnet posted:

None of this matters because of China and India anyway.

This is indirect climate change denial: "We should do nothing because India and China will do nothing"

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it is also simply morally disgusting

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CommieGIR posted:

This is indirect climate change denial: "We should do nothing because India and China will do nothing"

Nothing we do will ultimately matter much in preventing climate change, I'm not saying that we shouldn't do anything. Exercising doesn't prevent my death, but I still do it sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

Diets, driving, conditioned space, etc all provide space for massively useful adaptive efficiencies that are certainly themselves potential cultural adaptation challenges. And to hold those challenges as insurmountable leaves no room for success. History is filled with examples of cultural shifts far larger than diet and commute changes.

"We can't do this, who would pay me?"