Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Pharohman777 posted:

Got A robot named fight, and its kinda amazing how much of the game is just super metroid with the serial numbers filed off and made into a rougelite.

Its pretty fun though.

the game won me over when tutorial man dropped a huge simpsons reference

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

alf_pogs posted:

I can't really articulate "why", but this makes me LESS interested in the game.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
try not to fall into lava, it really boourns

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Set up my OG Switch at my parents' place, and my son was using dual joycons in the cradle for Mario Kart. While the lights never faltered, and there was never a message about disconnection, frequently, his button presses wouldn't register, specifically the A button. My 8bitdo was fine. The Switch was set up right behind the tv.

Anyone else experience this?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
A Robot Named Fight is also only $1 right now, I got it for free with coins.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

I couldn’t stand that janky robot game myself.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

alf_pogs posted:

Well, I'm from Zebes, and I've never heard anyone use the term "arachnomorph."

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Social Animal posted:

I couldn’t stand that janky robot game myself.

The level layouts are garbage. Rest of the game is okay.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

No, you've got the wrong planet. This is sr38... 9

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Miyamoto has suggested remaking Zelda 2 a few times throughout the years so I figured it’ll eventually happen.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Set up my OG Switch at my parents' place, and my son was using dual joycons in the cradle for Mario Kart. While the lights never faltered, and there was never a message about disconnection, frequently, his button presses wouldn't register, specifically the A button. My 8bitdo was fine. The Switch was set up right behind the tv.

Yes, I have. Joycon range seems severely impacted if it doesn’t an unblocked line to sight to the system. Putting it in a glass cabinet or behind a TV kills the range for mine.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Dec 31, 2019

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
unironically the Zelda I'd be most excited about a remake for

well, now that Link's Awakening already got a remake anyway

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Remember Metroid? it’s back, in pog form!!

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

A Robot Named Fight has a great gameplay loop, but the execution is marred by somewhat janky controls. There are also particular rooms and bosses that you either need to take painfully slow, or get iced when you take too many hits if you didn't luck into enough powerups.

Honestly I think a lot of the game's problems could be solved if you started with 12 max HP instead of 8.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Is Brain Age not getting a US release?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It seems unlikely. Maybe sometime later but it certainly wasn't planned.

Feb 2, 2005
Hoping someone can recommend me a Switch game. My favorite gameplay loop is refining my performance through repeated attempts. The absolute zenith of this for me is the Rogue Squadron games, attempting to get all the medals.

Honorable mention goes to Perfect Dark, running through missions over and over trying the get the best time to unlock things.

I've got $50 of Mario bux and hoping to find a good match for me.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Quote posted:

Hoping someone can recommend me a Switch game. My favorite gameplay loop is refining my performance through repeated attempts. The absolute zenith of this for me is the Rogue Squadron games, attempting to get all the medals.

Honorable mention goes to Perfect Dark, running through missions over and over trying the get the best time to unlock things.

Celeste is the epitome of "try and try and try again and slowly master it". It doesn't give you a score or grade or anything though if that's what you are looking for.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

I was going to recommend sky rogue, but it's a roguelike so the maps are not the same, so you can't really replay the maps over and over in that fashion.

Feb 2, 2005
Yes I'd like a big gold medal or a giant glowing "S" if possible

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Getting the golden speed run medals in DKC:TF is probably one of the toughest feats in all of gaming.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

SeANMcBAY posted:

Is Brain Age not getting a US release?
I didn't even know they were making one! Did the two DS ones not do well enough to justify translating it?

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Quote posted:

Hotline Miami collection, and Katana Zero.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I just checked an apparently Brain Age is coming out on January 3rd in the UK(?) so I don't know why it wouldn't also have a US release.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

gey muckle mowser posted:

Celeste is the epitome of "try and try and try again and slowly master it". It doesn't give you a score or grade or anything though if that's what you are looking for.

Celeste is a good recommendation. Dead Cells as well.

Feb 2, 2005

Waffle! posted:

Katana Zero.

Heck yeah. This looks like it overfloweth with medals. Thanks!

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Katana Zero will take you about 3 hours to master which is fine I guess but you'll have to find something else to use the rest of that $50 gift card on.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Low battery maybe?

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Quote posted:

Bayonetta 1&2 are great for this. Astral Chain if you want something similar but not as hardcore.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Don't use the slow down in Katana Zero unless you absolutely have to. There's no penalty for using it and no benefit for not using it except that I think it's more fun without it. You can actually shut it off entirely in speedrun mode.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I didn't even know they were making one! Did the two DS ones not do well enough to justify translating it?

Brain Age was one of the best-selling game on the Wii U eshop because it was the cheapest option with an exploit that enabled the installation of custom firmware.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Dec 31, 2019

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Quote posted:

Overcooked 2 lets you do this with friends.

You can also do singleplayer, I guess, but it's super good for multiplayer.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

American McGay posted:

I just checked an apparently Brain Age is coming out on January 3rd in the UK(?) so I don't know why it wouldn't also have a US release.

Maybe they’ll announce a US date in the next Direct. I’ll just import the JP or EU copy if not. I’m probably the only one here that likes the series but Concentration Training on 3DS is one of my favorites on the system.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I didn't even know they were making a new Brain Training. Considering what a boomer juggernaut that series was you'd have thought they'd have made more of an effort to market it.

Missing Christmas is bizzare too since everyone would've gotten it for their auld da'.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Quote posted:

I'm not saying don't get the game because the game is loving fun as hell, but I did manage to 100% the game in like 4 hours of playtime, which was disappointing. It's incredibly easy. But if you have cash leftover and really like katana zero you might also try my friend Pedro. Mechanically similar, but graphically different. And my friend Pedro is quite a bit more difficult

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

How long is my friend Pedro? Also, for a game like that I'd really prefer less plot/conversation/etc and more playing the game. Does it do the katana zero "now watch a 16-bit movie for five minutes" thing (I know this is a petty thing but 🤷‍♀️)

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I was a little worried about how Stardew Valley was gonna feel like playing on a controller and not mouse+keyboard but let me tell you it works and god this game is addictive

I'm already on my second year

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Achmed Jones posted:

How long is my friend Pedro? Also, for a game like that I'd really prefer less plot/conversation/etc and more playing the game. Does it do the katana zero "now watch a 16-bit movie for five minutes" thing (I know this is a petty thing but 🤷‍♀️)

I loved it, the plot is super simple so you don't feel bad skipping over it, plus some of the trophies are difficult enough you have to think a bit, but nothing super complex. It's got the same bullet time mechanic, plus it has upgrades and weapons, so you won't be using the same stuff all over. And yes, there's no watch a 16 bit movie for five minutes thing.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Quote posted:

Between the two Hotline Miami is far better, with more weapons, levels, and playstyle options. I haven't played it, but Ape Out is another one to check out.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Quote posted:

Also Trials if it is still $20. Pretty much exactly what you are describing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I'm surprised by the negative remarks on Katana Zero, I loved it the whole way through.