Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Please increase the upside down pyramid that is going to collapse eventually, just keep kicking that can down the road yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

brugroffil posted:

The easiest way to get more people to a stable retirement is to expand social security not more tax advantaged savings that mainly go to the upper middle class and above

I agree social security should be uncapped on contributions and something on distribution. I don't know enough to talk about the latter more than saying I think the minimum output should be much higher and uncapping the input solves a lot of the math.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

BraveUlysses posted:

My wife left her job and was sent a 1099R tax document and a receipt of deposit to a bank account of the funds from her 401k. No taxes have been taken out and I suspect it needs to be put into a 401k or fees and taxes will be charged and withheld.

Can I roll this into the new retirement fund she has with her new job (which is through Washington state retirement services for public employees)?

bump from 7 months ago but yeah my wife didnt ever do anything about this.

original 1099R form showed a gross distribution of 2700+ bucks. we just got a new 1099R form with a check for 144 loving dollars. what the gently caress happened.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Checking up in Personal Capital, and how the heck do dividends happen in mutual funds? VFORX gave me 55 shares and change in dividends, like $2000+, just because. Are they taking some kind of formula where the total amount of dividends given to the stocks in the fund then get redistributed to fund shareholders? Same for VXUS, $300ish just because, but it's an ETF.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

MJP posted:

Checking up in Personal Capital, and how the heck do dividends happen in mutual funds? VFORX gave me 55 shares and change in dividends, like $2000+, just because. Are they taking some kind of formula where the total amount of dividends given to the stocks in the fund then get redistributed to fund shareholders? Same for VXUS, $300ish just because, but it's an ETF.

As I understand it, yes. Stock A that the mutual fund owns yields a dividend of a dollar. You own 1000 shares of VFORX (whatever), which means you own 5 shares of that Stock A, so you get $1 * 5 = $5.00. You can then choose to either keep that cash, or reinvest it in the same security automatically, buying $5 of VFORX. Sounds like you did the latter. Multiply that out by every stock in the fund which issues a dividend.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Can someone help me check my mental models?

I have maxed 401k, maxed IRA (some ROTH, some Traditional) and working on taxable accounts for additional long term investment/savings. So I’m trying to distribute the overall asset mix between those.

What goes in the tax sheltered accounts:
Stuff that pays interest and dividends, so that income is protected from taxation and can compound higher.
Stuff expected to grow long term in the ROTH so any gains are untaxed.

What goes in the taxable accounts:
Stuff that grows, since I don’t get taxed until I realize any gains at sale (which I expect to be able to control).
Eventually, stuff paying interest or dividends that I can benefit from once I (presumably) have a lower income.
More liquid savings for emergencies.

e: just re-read the OP and see there is a detailed answer. https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Tax-efficient_fund_placement

doingitwrong fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Dec 31, 2019

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

doingitwrong posted:

Can someone help me check my mental models?

I have maxed 401k, maxed IRA (some ROTH, some Traditional) and working on taxable accounts for additional long term investment/savings. So I’m trying to distribute the overall asset mix between those.

What goes in the tax sheltered accounts:
Stuff that pays interest and dividends, so that income is protected from taxation and can compound higher.
Stuff expected to grow long term in the ROTH so any gains are untaxed.

What goes in the taxable accounts:
Stuff that grows, since I don’t get taxed until I realize any gains at sale (which I expect to be able to control).
Eventually, stuff paying interest or dividends that I can benefit from once I (presumably) have a lower income.
More liquid savings for emergencies.

e: just re-read the OP and see there is a detailed answer. https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Tax-efficient_fund_placement
I'll add that you don't need to super overthink it. The single most important thing you can do is save as much money as you can. Tax efficient placement barely registers as a contributing factor in your success compared to that.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

My wife asked me about investing in real estate the other day and I started looking into REITs as we had previously looked into possible rental properties. I checked out vanguard's VNQ real estate ETF and I don't completely understand them and their dividends. Rental income is much more straightforward to me, so I was wondering if someone could elaborate on how REIT works in an ETF in comparison to rental income.

Assuming a hypothetical 2br/2bath $200,000 property is fully owned (no outstanding debt), I assume rental income to be total amount received in rent per year, minus any management fees or maintenance issues. I'm aware this could be substantial if an appliance/AC unit/water heater/plumbing issue happens. For instance (and ease of math), assuming stable tenants and no outstanding debt:

$1500/mo rental income x 12 months = $18,000/year - (management fees + maintenance issues) - property taxes - homeowners insurance - HOA fees = annual rental profit

Does that sound correct? Am I missing anything in there?

Now for real estate ETFs, for that same hypothetical $200,000 investment, what are the returns? Vanguard says VNQ shares are currently $92.15, which would get 2169 shares and over the past year, the total (added quarterly) dividend per share was $3.14, which would be $6810.66 in dividends + any gain in the share price. Does that also sound correct?

It appears that if you have stable tenants and no maintenance issues (:lol:) that you'd stand to make more renting property with a higher risk associated, where as REIT investing is relatively less risky (despite the recession, VNQ has returned 9.16% overall since 2004) for a more stable profit.

Please poke holes in anything as it will help me to understand this all better!

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

Cacafuego posted:

Assuming a hypothetical 2br/2bath $200,000
$1500/mo rental income

Does there exist places where a 2br is that cheap, and yet rent is that high?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Cacafuego posted:

My wife asked me about investing in real estate the other day and I started looking into REITs as we had previously looked into possible rental properties. I checked out vanguard's VNQ real estate ETF and I don't completely understand them and their dividends. Rental income is much more straightforward to me, so I was wondering if someone could elaborate on how REIT works in an ETF in comparison to rental income.

Assuming a hypothetical 2br/2bath $200,000 property is fully owned (no outstanding debt), I assume rental income to be total amount received in rent per year, minus any management fees or maintenance issues. I'm aware this could be substantial if an appliance/AC unit/water heater/plumbing issue happens. For instance (and ease of math), assuming stable tenants and no outstanding debt:

$1500/mo rental income x 12 months = $18,000/year - (management fees + maintenance issues) - property taxes - homeowners insurance - HOA fees = annual rental profit

Does that sound correct? Am I missing anything in there?

Now for real estate ETFs, for that same hypothetical $200,000 investment, what are the returns? Vanguard says VNQ shares are currently $92.15, which would get 2169 shares and over the past year, the total (added quarterly) dividend per share was $3.14, which would be $6810.66 in dividends + any gain in the share price. Does that also sound correct?

It appears that if you have stable tenants and no maintenance issues (:lol:) that you'd stand to make more renting property with a higher risk associated, where as REIT investing is relatively less risky (despite the recession, VNQ has returned 9.16% overall since 2004) for a more stable profit.

Please poke holes in anything as it will help me to understand this all better!

Less income taxes, vacancy, advertising. 2 months of vacancy brings you to $15k gross revenue. You're sitting at 7.5-9% gross revenue, property taxes I assume are at least 1% so 6.5-8%. Management fees are what, 10% of receipts? So subtract out 0.75-0.9%, let's lump in HOA fees here to round it up to 1% because I like whole numbers: 5.5-7%. Homeowners insurance is probably another grand a year: 4.5-6%. Let's assume 1% of purchase price in maintenance, so $2,000 a year. Some years it's $0, some years it's a roof: 3.5-5%. You can wash some of that in your income taxes, but I don't know how much of it. (scheduled depreciation of a capital asset for your business.)

Best case in your example is 5% income, assuming flat value of the asset of course. The asset could appreciate to get rid of the annual maintenance for example, bringing you back to 6%.

Or you could just invest it in the market and have 0 headache and a long term statistical 6% as well.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

H110Hawk posted:

Less income taxes, vacancy, advertising. 2 months of vacancy brings you to $15k gross revenue. You're sitting at 7.5-9% gross revenue, property taxes I assume are at least 1% so 6.5-8%. Management fees are what, 10% of receipts? So subtract out 0.75-0.9%, let's lump in HOA fees here to round it up to 1% because I like whole numbers: 5.5-7%. Homeowners insurance is probably another grand a year: 4.5-6%. Let's assume 1% of purchase price in maintenance, so $2,000 a year. Some years it's $0, some years it's a roof: 3.5-5%. You can wash some of that in your income taxes, but I don't know how much of it. (scheduled depreciation of a capital asset for your business.)

Best case in your example is 5% income, assuming flat value of the asset of course. The asset could appreciate to get rid of the annual maintenance for example, bringing you back to 6%.

Or you could just invest it in the market and have 0 headache and a long term statistical 6% as well.

You're the best. Thank you.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Pardot posted:

My brother had a construction company that does remodels in Spokane. They also buy and flip and buy and hold as rentals. He can get 2-3br places for 80-120k, put 30-60k into it and rent for about $500/bedroom. Usually a 3br is not much more than a 2br.

Eyes Only
May 20, 2008

Do not attempt to adjust your set.
I would include the "cost" of months where rent isn't paid, be it due to vacancy or to nonpaying tenants.

E: beaten

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Plus then you don't have to deal with the internet leftist brigade wheeling around their shitpost-powered guillotine after you, LANDLORD BOUGIE SCUM.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Pardot posted:

Good question - it was with the thought of keeping and renting out our current place, which we will own outright in about 2 years if we decide to move. It was hypothetical, so my numbers may have been a bit off :v:

H110Hawk posted:

This is a good breakdown, thank you for explaining. It was mostly for my knowledge and to explain to my wife when she asked about REITs. We already have diversified index funds in 401k/IRA and max these every year, so I was curious about REITs and dividend stocks since I don't understand those either, or which ones to look at for a taxable brokerage account. As newbies to this stuff, we were looking at ways to dump a large lump sum in and be able to use the gains as additional passive income (not re-invested) as this wouldn't be for retirement since we already have that covered.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Plus then you don't have to deal with the internet leftist brigade wheeling around their shitpost-powered guillotine after you, LANDLORD BOUGIE SCUM.

Yeah, not gonna lie, didn't want to have to deal with this either.

Cacafuego fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Dec 31, 2019

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004
I'm 41 and way behind on retirement savings. Is this a good plan to "set it and forget it" for a while? Is it diversified enough?

401k - saving 21.7% of gross income to max out annual 19.5k contribution
100% into iShares S&P 500 Index Fund - Class K
ER 0.03%

Roth IRA - saving 6.7% of gross income to max out annual 6k contribution
100% into VTIVX - Vanguard Target Retirement 2045
ER 0.15%

Mutual Fund - saving 1.3% of gross income
100% into VTSAX - Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Admiral Shares
ER 0.04%

Savings - saving 1.3% of gross income
Ally 1.60%

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I don’t mean to derail, but what do they argue is the right thing to do, for the landlords to give away their apartments to the tenants?

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

zaurg posted:

I'm 41 and way behind on retirement savings. Is this a good plan to "set it and forget it" for a while? Is it diversified enough?

401k - saving 21.7% of gross income to max out annual 19.5k contribution
100% into iShares S&P 500 Index Fund - Class K
ER 0.03%

Roth IRA - saving 6.7% of gross income to max out annual 6k contribution
100% into VTIVX - Vanguard Target Retirement 2045
ER 0.15%

Mutual Fund - saving 1.3% of gross income
100% into VTSAX - Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Admiral Shares
ER 0.04%

Savings - saving 1.3% of gross income
Ally 1.60%
Shut the gently caress up zaurg

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Animal posted:

I don’t mean to derail, but what do they argue is the right thing to do, for the landlords to give away their apartments to the tenants?

Basically in places where values have outpaced inflation by stupid amounts (think NY and SF) people are getting charged $lol, 000/month on housing stock which people happened to buy 10+ years ago for half (or less) its face value. This happens in various places to varying degrees but it's most pronounced there. This is how you get the cycle of rent control coming and going.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

Basically in places where values have outpaced inflation by stupid amounts (think NY and SF) people are getting charged $lol, 000/month on housing stock which people happened to buy 10+ years ago for half (or less) its face value. This happens in various places to varying degrees but it's most pronounced there. This is how you get the cycle of rent control coming and going.

Oh. Yeah, I live in NYC. I am lucky and “only” pay $2,200 in a nice area of Brooklyn, electricity included. The landlord inherited his properties from previous generations. I haven’t asked but I suspect he doesn’t really do anything for a living but collect rents and pay a super to take care of issues.

It never occurred to me to resent him personally for it. We are spending the day with them tomorrow at their friends place

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Animal posted:

Full communism now something something all landlords are cops guillotine I am very smart

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Animal posted:

Noooo, veer away!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Retail, office, industrial, and self storage buildings have such better cash flows than residential rentals that it's fair to judge people who are specifically interested in them.

Like, just admit you want to be Lord of someone, ya weirdo

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Retail, office, industrial, and self storage buildings have such better cash flows than residential rentals

My wife works for a commercial real estate company that used to own/manage office buildings. Post-2008 real estate collapse they rebuilt themselves as a investment property firm going only after single tenant, triple-net type buildings (warehouse, industrial) and outside the NY tristate area. Less hassle and overhead than tenants, better income stream for their investors. Maybe one day we’ll build up enough cash to buy into one of their funds.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Internet leftists aren't the first or only people to criticize landlordism/rentierism you dopes

E: from a practical advice perspective, what H110 said above

brugroffil fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Dec 31, 2019

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Retail, office, industrial, and self storage buildings have such better cash flows than residential rentals that it's fair to judge people who are specifically interested in them.

I’d love to read more about commercial properties. Someone was going to make a thread about commercial investment. What happened to that?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Hoodwinker posted:

Shut the gently caress up zaurg

who removed his years of probation

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

loving self storage, those things absolutely print money its amazing. I'll have to look up the ones we've financed when I'm back at work but I'd much rather own those than SFRs.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Cacafuego posted:

I’d love to read more about commercial properties. Someone was going to make a thread about commercial investment. What happened to that?

I’m still meaning to do it, putting a draft together still because I’m swamped.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Happy Roth IRA Day!

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

crazypeltast52 posted:

No worries. Looking forward to it!

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

dexter6 posted:

Happy Roth IRA Day!

That's bonus check day for me.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

crazypeltast52 posted:

Let me know if you want any help, I'm on the finance side of a fair bit of CRE.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
After paying my Q4 taxes, 529 contribution, and Roth IRA contribution, I officially have enough money in savings that I could pay off my home if I wanted to right now... just debating how much of an emergency fund I want and if I should pull the trigger.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Astro7x posted:

After paying my Q4 taxes, 529 contribution, and Roth IRA contribution, I officially have enough money in savings that I could pay off my home if I wanted to right now... just debating how much of an emergency fund I want and if I should pull the trigger.

This is just being pedantic as you're obviously in a really good spot: If the balance in your savings account is greater than the balance on your mortgage but if it includes your e-fund then you don't have enough to pay off your mortgage.

That being said, I would go for 6 months unadjusted cash flow. (As in, you don't pause your netflix/candles/etc subscriptions if you lost your job and it would last 6 months.) What are the terms on your mortgage?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

dexter6 posted:

Happy Roth IRA Day!

You're a day early, bro!!

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

H110Hawk posted:

This is just being pedantic as you're obviously in a really good spot: If the balance in your savings account is greater than the balance on your mortgage but if it includes your e-fund then you don't have enough to pay off your mortgage.

That being said, I would go for 6 months unadjusted cash flow. (As in, you don't pause your netflix/candles/etc subscriptions if you lost your job and it would last 6 months.) What are the terms on your mortgage?

3.375% w/ 23 years left. $160K balance. 180K in savings.

Yeah, I could pay it off completely and have a $20K emergency fund (6 months is 30K, factoring in a mortgage payment still). My wife wants a bigger emergency fund though closer to 50K, but would leave a 30K balance on the mortgage. Either way, at the rate we save it would be paid off by 2021 I suspect. I think I may need to break out the amortization schedule and show her much interest is spent by waiting a year. 20K is small, but we also won't have to pay that mortgage anymore at 11K a year, which would help build up savings faster again.

After quite a few discussions we don't feel comfortable dumping that much money into the market. I have a Roth an a SEP IRA my employer contributes to, my wife has a Roth and a teacher pension. We are also maxing out a 529 at 20K a year for the tax benefits. I feel like I would not feel comfortable putting money into a taxable trading account until we've paid off the house.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Astro7x posted:

3.375% w/ 23 years left. $160K balance. 180K in savings.

Yeah, I could pay it off completely and have a $20K emergency fund (6 months is 30K, factoring in a mortgage payment still). My wife wants a bigger emergency fund though closer to 50K, but would leave a 30K balance on the mortgage. Either way, at the rate we save it would be paid off by 2021 I suspect. I think I may need to break out the amortization schedule and show her much interest is spent by waiting a year. 20K is small, but we also won't have to pay that mortgage anymore at 11K a year, which would help build up savings faster again.

After quite a few discussions we don't feel comfortable dumping that much money into the market. I have a Roth an a SEP IRA my employer contributes to, my wife has a Roth and a teacher pension. We are also maxing out a 529 at 20K a year for the tax benefits. I feel like I would not feel comfortable putting money into a taxable trading account until we've paid off the house.

At 3.375 you're never going to have access to capital that cheaply again. If it makes you feel better pay it off but it is concentrating your asset allocation on your primary residence. We go back and forth on it, I sort of pretend that it's my bond allocation.

Given your savings rate I would invest to be blunt. You can afford the payment on the house and you're statistically likely to make 6% actual returns over the same 23 year period, paying for the interest on the mortgage and still turning a profit. Maybe make a 5 year repayment plan and invest the spread?

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
^^^ I will respectfully disagree with the above. While H110Hawk is absolutely correct in saying that you'll likely end up with more money in the long term by investing it rather than paying off the house early, I would say the psychological benefit of being debt-free can certainly be worth it compared to those percentage points of gains, and if your happiness and sense of security is sufficiently increased by paying off the house, then that's the correct option. It is very personality dependent, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I will agree with Kylaer about the psychological benefits. There is also the fact that it was hard enough to get my wife to agree to putting $32K away in retirement accounts and college saving accounts, and if I suggest putting it all into the market it will never happen.

I also think that when people have the "invest vs. pay off the house" debate, people never factor in that freed up income from not having a mortgage payment. Not paying 11K per year towards the mortgage is another 11K I could invest each year. That's 253K over 23 years.