Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon

Zzulu posted:

Darkfall, it was called Darkfall

Is that Rise of Agon now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erev
Jun 9, 2013

Ossipago posted:

Is that Rise of Agon now?

IIRC there are two different re-releases out now.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Zzulu posted:

This looks like hot garbage but I still think Sandbox is the way to go for MMO's.

Just take the concept of games like Rust or EVE online and put them in bigger and more permanent fantasy worlds

Give the players a lot of tools to create their own experience... Why is every sandbox attempt low tier garbage like Mortal Online or that greek game I can't remember the name of

i feel like sandboxes have a hell of a time reaching the critical mass that they need to not feel empty. eve is far and away the most successful sandbox in history and it still struggles to balance the "you've got empty space to do your own thing in" and "there are actually people around to interact with" ratio constantly.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
EDIT: wrong thread

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

Jazerus posted:

i feel like sandboxes have a hell of a time reaching the critical mass that they need to not feel empty. eve is far and away the most successful sandbox in history and it still struggles to balance the "you've got empty space to do your own thing in" and "there are actually people around to interact with" ratio constantly.

I am kinda shocked no one else has gone the EvE route. Lots of interconnected smaller zones, easy to travel but not to easy as roadblocks can be setup, and your class is based on the ship your flying. Empire zones have cops and some level of safety, outlands are lawless.

This model would be great to expand on, setting up an outland could give you the ability to build strongholds, NPCs could be loyal to your faction, different regions have vastly different resources and bad guys could be a much larger range vs EvE as it could steal from fantasy.

Even ideas like wormholes could be done via magical gateways, secret passages, or other planes of existence.

Far as I can tell no one is willing to build a game in this style other then Everquest with its huge open world and zone lines.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

PyRosflam posted:

easy to travel but not to easy as roadblocks can be setup

Wat.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013

Travel in EVE isn't that dangerous even in the outer reaches minus certain spots that often see camping.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I just finished the 1-50 thing in FF XIV, having done WoW before on and off for a decade and it was fine - the main storyline quest keeps it focused, and the only thing is I maybe find the world a bit confusing, but otherwise, the single-player focus is a nice change. I’m struggling now with the before-expansion quests, though - there’s a lot of them and they have me re-treading old-old poo poo when I just want to move on to things that don’t look like 2013.

Having seen WoW struggle with old content (Cataclysm old world rework is itself old now), I see how the few games that managed to stick around for longer than 3 years, struggle to keep their old content on par with the times.

WonderfulWino
Sep 26, 2004

The grape wont cut me loose.
I just burnt out on ff14.

I bought the base game like 3 weeks ago. Ive got every base game class to 50. The MSQ is still in the 49 range and I just dont care anymore.

fwiw I enjoyed most of it

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

WonderfulWino posted:

I bought the base game like 3 weeks ago. Ive got every base game class to 50. The MSQ is still in the 49 range and I just dont care anymore.

Sounds like you got your money's worth at least. but no wonder you burnt out, 100+ hrs in 3 weeks....

Erev
Jun 9, 2013

Lube banjo posted:

Sounds like you got your money's worth at least. but no wonder you burnt out, 100+ hrs in 3 weeks....

Yeah... I was about to say that this sounds self-inflicted.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Making an MMO with cutscenes and a main quest is so strange.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Where are all of the MMOJRPGs at anyway? I want a turn-based MMO with multiple characters and good writing. Like multi-boxing EQ back in the day, but officially supported

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Groovelord Neato posted:

Making an MMO with cutscenes and a main quest is so strange.

It's really more of a single player story game where you can play the dungeons with friends, like that bioware starwars mmo.

Until you hit level 50 anyway, after that there's tons of side content designed for groups of 4/8/24 people, and it's all pretty high quality too.

Lube banjo posted:

Where are all of the MMOJRPGs at anyway? I want a turn-based MMO with multiple characters and good writing. Like multi-boxing EQ back in the day, but officially supported

Dofus/Wakfu exist, but I have no idea if they're good. I tried Dofus in... 2003? It's a turn/grid based game like xcom/disgaea, and somehow Dofus still exists 15 years later and got a sequel in Wakfu so maybe it's not terrible games?

jokes posted:

Sucks telling people, and truly meaning it, that FFXIV is the best Final Fantasy ever made except for the first 60 hours of the game, lol.

yeah, it's bad. i almost quit the game during the titan banquet thing lol. had to take 2 weeks off. after that there's not anything really bad, because during the shittier parts of level 50 patch stories you can do a ton of new dungeons and raids and poo poo, but 1-50 has a few parts that you *need* to clear to progress and are just bad.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Truga posted:

Dofus/Wakfu exist, but I have no idea if they're good. I tried Dofus in... 2003? It's a turn/grid based game like xcom/disgaea, and somehow Dofus still exists 15 years later and got a sequel in Wakfu so maybe it's not terrible games?
Nah, they suck. You control 1 person only in one of those. Not sure about the other. I really wanted to play and like it, but it's not what people are looking for with a turn based RPG.

I forgot all the other reasons it sucked, but I looked into it extensively and even played a bit. Might be a p2w issue or poo poo netcode or something. Typical bad MMO crippling issues.

Granado Espada was the only game to remotely scratch this itch but it died over a decade ago and the publisher totally wrecked it before open beta even started. It was sorta ARPG-like but slow and you controlled 3 dudes at once.

Wild tangent here, considering turn based is well within human limits, but developers in general, not just in MMO, seem to fear creating games that humans can't play optimally. Even though as humans we'll all have the same limitations. For example, there's no DotA/LoL mode where it's 1v1 but you each control all 5 guys. That would likely be real, real fun to play for a certain kind of person, but when you suggest it people freak out like "controlling 1 is hard enough!!" and "it'd be impossible!!" while ignoring it'd be equally impossible for both players. ARPGs are the same way, sure poe/diablo/MMOs are fine, but what if I could play 2-4 characters at once with an actual good ui instead of with multibox software?

Khorne fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Dec 30, 2019

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Lube banjo posted:

Uh there was one and it is only for whales now.

http://at.valofe.com/

At one point you got from an ogre tactics game to some weird xcom game and this is just for no reason.

Or you can just do phone games.

But most of those suck even with an emulator.

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Dec 30, 2019

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Third World Reagan posted:

Uh there was one and it is only for whales now.

http://at.valofe.com/

At one point you got from an ogre tactics game to some weird xcom game and this is just for no reason.

Or you can just do phone games.

But most of those suck even with an emulator.

Atlantica, yeah I remember playing this one ~10 years ago. Surprised there isn't an evolved clone out there

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I was watching Gantz and thinking, you know what would be a cool idea?

What if there was a co-op battle royale game? Not like Apex Legends where you're on a 3-person team against other teams, but what if you dropped like 100 players into a big open area, and then started spawning monsters, and they had a time limit to kill a boss monster somewhere on the map?

You make it so anybody who lives to the end survives to the next round and keeps all their supplies, but if they don't defeat the boss by the time limit everybody dies, and whoever kills the boss personally gets a powerful weapon for the next round.

I like the idea of a 100 person firefight match where you're competing with each other for points and to out-live each other more than directly hunting each other down. Working together to defeat enemies but also intentionally kill-stealing each other for points... I think there's potential there. Streamers would love it.

Its not a proper MMO but I've rambled about what I want from a full MMO ITT before. Just thought that was a fun idea for something they could basically patch into Fortnite or Apex but would play pretty different from the current game. (Maybe you'd have to lower the player counts to like 20-50 if you spawned in a bunch of monsters IDK that'd be fine)

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zaphod42 posted:

What if there was a co-op battle royale game? Not like Apex Legends where you're on a 3-person team against other teams, but what if you dropped like 100 players into a big open area, and then started spawning monsters, and they had a time limit to kill a boss monster somewhere on the map?

You make it so anybody who lives to the end survives to the next round and keeps all their supplies, but if they don't defeat the boss by the time limit everybody dies, and whoever kills the boss personally gets a powerful weapon for the next round.

I like the idea of a 100 person firefight match where you're competing with each other for points and to out-live each other more than directly hunting each other down. Working together to defeat enemies but also intentionally kill-stealing each other for points... I think there's potential there. Streamers would love it.

Its not a proper MMO but I've rambled about what I want from a full MMO ITT before. Just thought that was a fun idea for something they could basically patch into Fortnite or Apex but would play pretty different from the current game. (Maybe you'd have to lower the player counts to like 20-50 if you spawned in a bunch of monsters IDK that'd be fine)

Ugh no shut up the br fad has almost died out. If developers start thinking of PVE gimmicks for br it’ll extend the life another 3 years.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

i think this is a cool and good idea

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

WonderfulWino posted:

this is insanity

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

PyRosflam posted:

I am kinda shocked no one else has gone the EvE route. Lots of interconnected smaller zones, easy to travel but not to easy as roadblocks can be setup, and your class is based on the ship your flying. Empire zones have cops and some level of safety, outlands are lawless.

This model would be great to expand on, setting up an outland could give you the ability to build strongholds, NPCs could be loyal to your faction, different regions have vastly different resources and bad guys could be a much larger range vs EvE as it could steal from fantasy.

Even ideas like wormholes could be done via magical gateways, secret passages, or other planes of existence.

Far as I can tell no one is willing to build a game in this style other then Everquest with its huge open world and zone lines.

I've said for over a decade that if someone made Literally EvE Online But In A Fantasy Setting With Good Combat, it would be the greatest MMO of all time.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Shortest Path posted:

I've said for over a decade that if someone made Literally EvE Online But In A Fantasy Setting With Good Combat, it would be the greatest MMO of all time.

:same:

Which is basically saying SWG with good combat

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Medieval fantasy imo but yes to all of that.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Shortest Path posted:

a somewhat modernized UO eve hybrid would definitely ruin my life, could still be an isometric thing, hell they could even use unity poo poo as long as they weren't idiots like legends of aria devs

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon

Zaphod42 posted:

This sounds really similar to The Cycle. https://thecycle.game

And it's pretty fun.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/MassivelyOP/status/1212374190508199936?s=19

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

I know its a lovely thing to discuss or guess about, but his young (relatively) death was certainly brought on by past drug usage, right?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lube banjo posted:

I know its a lovely thing to discuss or guess about, but his young (relatively) death was certainly brought on by past drug usage, right?

Wtf? Yeah you shouldn't guess because you're not a doctor, not his doctor, and have zero facts to go on.

People die. The world is cruel. This is a very bad post.

Ossipago posted:

This sounds really similar to The Cycle. https://thecycle.game

And it's pretty fun.

This looks pretty cool, I'll check it out, thanks

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jan 1, 2020

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Yeah it's drug related. I read it somewhere else!

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Lube banjo posted:

It was probably drug related since, according to a vanguard developer, he had a history of being addicted to prescription narcotics.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Glenn Quebec posted:

Medieval fantasy imo but yes to all of that.

I could see medieval fantasy working to be honest.

So if you ride out on, I do not know, a dragon or some poo poo, wearing glowing magical armour and with a sword enchanted to poo poo lightning? That is like bringing out a carrier or something in Eve. You better be doing something worth dying and losing all of that stuff.

On a horse in steel armour with proper weaponry? That might be like the equivalent of a battleship with Tech 2 modules, not something you want to be blown up but an established player or proper organisation can sustain constant losses of that kind of gear.

Skulking around in a poo poo stained potato sack with a club and a rusty knife? That is a base fit frigate equivalent of investment. Just make it so that if a few potato sack peasants knock the knight off their horse then they can shiv them to death with knives and steal their stuff.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
A MMO that isn't numbers dependent on gear would be nice, with a focus on mass production and mass destruction of equipment and resources, PvP isn't fun if it requires some months long tedious grinding to get on the same level playing field and dying means you need to restart the month long grind.

Part of why I enjoyed minecraft PvP servers and other persistent world PvP resource gatherers, you want your friends to join your established base? they don't have to grind 5000 iron ores and chop 10,000 tree's with a wooden axe before they can compete, you just use your stockpile of resources to equip them and show them around your base and the basics and off they go fighting, main problem they have though is very tiny server populations compared to a MMO.

andromache
Aug 27, 2009

Lawful Neutral Paper Pusher Elemental.

Patrat posted:

So if you ride out on, I do not know, a dragon or some poo poo, wearing glowing magical armour and with a sword enchanted to poo poo lightning? That is like bringing out a carrier or something in Eve. You better be doing something worth dying and losing all of that stuff.

On a horse in steel armour with proper weaponry? That might be like the equivalent of a battleship with Tech 2 modules, not something you want to be blown up but an established player or proper organisation can sustain constant losses of that kind of gear.

Skulking around in a poo poo stained potato sack with a club and a rusty knife? That is a base fit frigate equivalent of investment. Just make it so that if a few potato sack peasants knock the knight off their horse then they can shiv them to death with knives and steal their stuff.

Dudes taking to the sky on their red dragons in full silverite plate. There I am on the ground riding a downs donkey with a stove pot helmet and a frying pan sword/shield combo. Sounds about right.

J3ng4
Nov 22, 2006

Bitches love my tool time
Is this game worth the $7.99 it was up for during the Steam Sale? I probably won't get into end game raiding and might not even buy an expansion. I might pick it back up when it launches on Stadia sometime this year.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

J3ng4 posted:

Is this game worth the $7.99 it was up for during the Steam Sale? I probably won't get into end game raiding and might not even buy an expansion. I might pick it back up when it launches on Stadia sometime this year.

I’m sure it’s not worth it.

J3ng4
Nov 22, 2006

Bitches love my tool time
Oops, wrong thread. That was meant for the ESO thread and you are probably right...

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Patrat posted:

Tbh this is rad. You could also just separate each area the same way Eve does just hand wave it with some sort of toll passage. People would understand if you just explain why it's necessary

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Glenn Quebec posted:

Tbh this is rad. You could also just separate each area the same way Eve does just hand wave it with some sort of toll passage. People would understand if you just explain why it's necessary

Awhile ago I was thinking of a game where you'd have guilds that each controlled a land, could build buildings and assign guards, and then you could have war between guilds.

It would play out like those free to play browser castle management games, only in more detail and 3d. People would actually gather resources and fight off enemy mobs instead of you just clicking a box on a website.

When guilds declared war, their lands would temporarily be stitched together, so like a portal would open up and now there's a bridge across a previously impassible lake that connects your castle to the enemy castle. You fight each other for like an hour and then the portal closes and you both go back and lick your wounds and rebuild your castle.

A literal "team fortress" with elements of action-rpg offense with tower-defense and resource management defense.

But Patrat's point was more about having expensive resources than needing to have transport. A big part of EVE is the player economy builds items which are consumable and can be lost. That drives everything.

In Everquest items last forever and can be infinitely traded, so there's constant inflation. World of Warcraft side-steps that by making most things bind-on-equip so they can't be traded, but that then makes the economy weirdly artificial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

soy posted:

a somewhat modernized UO eve hybrid would definitely ruin my life, could still be an isometric thing, hell they could even use unity poo poo as long as they weren't idiots like legends of aria devs

so far every single "modern uo or eq" i've seen has flamed out and died

or outright been a scam