Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

The fact that Rookadie is pure flying is freakin me out, guys

Man, yeah, I didn't even notice that at first. It's just a bird. And it's pure flying. It achieved the impossible!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Tenebrais posted:

Man, yeah, I didn't even notice that at first. It's just a bird. And it's pure flying. It achieved the impossible!

It surpassed its predecessors and leaned the secret of not being boring before evolution.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

Leraika posted:

There is! The raids also drop lots of nuggets for people who somehow don't have enough money in this game already.

I caught a female HA shiny on my first attempt...and she's timid. Oh well.

That's what mints are for.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

an_mutt posted:

I just started using surprise trades in order to try and fill my pokedex (17 to go!) and it's absolutely a mixed bag. What's the sweetest thing y'all have gotten from it, if you use it?

Japanese almost perfect dreepy (right nature missing only one IV)

Clearly a breeding reject but a pretty cool one

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

BlazetheInferno posted:

Several, actually. Altered Emerald for a Gen 3 hack, Polished Crystal for Gen 2. Only new mons in the latter are those connected to Gen 1 or 2 by evolution though, so fairy types are limited to the ones from Gen 1/2 that got retconned into it.

Looking up Polished Crystal helped me find out which romhack I was thinking of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJlcksyvfpc

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Kurieg posted:

completely anecdotally, Shield is the less common of the two.

sounds good, cheers~

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Looking up Polished Crystal helped me find out which romhack I was thinking of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJlcksyvfpc

Is the region in this game based on Brazil like in half of all romhacks?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Leraika posted:

There is! The raids also drop lots of nuggets for people who somehow don't have enough money in this game already.

I caught a female HA shiny on my first attempt...and she's timid. Oh well.

Oh drat, need to get in on that for sure! Curse being at work! The important question is what fashion ball for the fishies? For the 'karp, Luxury ball fits well, but what about the Red Gyarados?

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Japanese almost perfect dreepy (right nature missing only one IV)

Clearly a breeding reject but a pretty cool one
I've sent back so many Dreepys over the last couple days that I suspect I've had at least one like this, but I'm not searching for competitive 'mons (yet) so I'll have moved it on immediately. I didn't realise until today that competitive breeding is why I keep seeing so many of them, and less of what I actually need - eg. Gothita and Escavalier/Accelgor.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

an_mutt posted:

I've sent back so many Dreepys over the last couple days that I suspect I've had at least one like this, but I'm not searching for competitive 'mons (yet) so I'll have moved it on immediately. I didn't realise until today that competitive breeding is why I keep seeing so many of them, and less of what I actually need - eg. Gothita and Escavalier/Accelgor.
Go hop in the goon discord, making Escavalier/Accelgor happen still takes some work but Gothita is free. (freeta.)

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Macaluso posted:

I think there's a shiny Magikarp event going on right now

I find ONE wild shiny of my own accord and this is what happens 🤡

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Silver Falcon posted:

Oh drat, need to get in on that for sure! Curse being at work! The important question is what fashion ball for the fishies? For the 'karp, Luxury ball fits well, but what about the Red Gyarados?

I used a Premier Ball for mine.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Did they announce this event?

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

Mesadoram posted:

Did they announce this event?
It shows up in the Switch's News section.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I haven't really played a pokemon game since like, Gold/Silver as a young child. Just bought a Switch [and Shield] last week. I know Bulbapedia is a thing, but is there another wikia for more casual fans that only talks about the games? It's a bit too much information for me. Like I don't care about a Diglets appearances in the anime, manga, TCG, and every iteration of the video game it's ever been in.

Like just give me the data for the pokemon in $most_recent_game drat.

e; Also, do pokemon gain fewer (less?) stats if leveled by a Rare Candy? I can't remember if that's a Pokemon thing or if I'm thinking of a different video game entirely.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Dec 31, 2019

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
You could look up the pokemon on serebii.net, that's about the best I can suggest.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Sab669 posted:

I haven't really played a pokemon game since like, Gold/Silver as a young child. Just bought a Switch [and Shield] last week. I know Bulbapedia is a thing, but is there another wikia for more casual fans that only talks about the games? It's a bit too much information for me. Like I don't care about a Diglets appearances in the anime, manga, TCG, and every iteration of the video game it's ever been in.

e; Also, do pokemon gain fewer (less?) stats if leveled by a Rare Candy? I can't remember if that's a Pokemon thing or if I'm thinking of a different video game entirely.

Anyone whos into pokemon or any form of media really to contribute to a fan wiki is into ot enough that they think you need to know fan speculation about whether or not their cameo appearance in an off-brand fighting game is canonical or nky.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Sab669 posted:

This is what you’re looking for.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Sab669 posted:

No, but if you were that young you were likely tricked into thinking so because they gain some stat points via battling, up to a cap (in gen 2 the system was weird and old, in the modern gens it's more streamlined, there are nuances, but literally do not worry about it at all - it's for postgame stats optimization nerd PvP stuff only)

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

No, but if you were that young you were likely tricked into thinking so because they gain some stat points via battling, up to a cap (in gen 2 the system was weird and old, in the modern gens it's more streamlined, there are nuances, but literally do not worry about it at all - it's for postgame stats optimization nerd PvP stuff only)

Yeah. When you battle you get something called EVs with one or two EVs based around usually whatever stat was highest for the pokemon you battled. So a pokemon which battled a lot of Geodudes would have higher defense because I guess it learned from the Geodudes and their ways or something. In Gen 6 they realized this was extremely annoying because you cant directly pick which pokemon you battle so they put in a minigame you could use to train EVs instead. Rare candies you dont battle anything so your pokemon gets no Evs.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Thanks yall. Back to biting dudes in the rear end with my Arcanine now. He's such a handsome boy.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Look at this majestic fire puppy

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

What is that from :staredog:

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Sab669 posted:

the new movie, apparently

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Sab669 posted:

Pokemon the Movie: Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution (Or M22, or the movie that looks like it's never going to get dubbed because reasons)

CG reimagining of the first movie, with hit-or-miss models (Pokemon look loads better than the humans)

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
yeah the pokemon look really good but the humans look like they're from a 2005 era Gamecube cutscene.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
This event absolutely owns

https://twitter.com/tayter_swift/status/1212076947674546176?s=20

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Gave us a new Shocked Pikachu face though

I also can't take Ash being angry seriously

And the TRio have some of the better human models

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Honestly, the point about it potentially not getting dubbed is a valid one - they'd have to use the *entire* new cast, since there is dialogue changes, and the original dub was by 4kids, who aren't a thing anymore.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I'll only allow a new dub if they keep in the Minnesota Viking ref.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Why the hell are those Twitter(?) image links not loading on the forums? :mad:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Electric Phantasm posted:

I'll only allow a new dub if they keep in the Minnesota Viking ref.

Kinda hard to do now that they're sailors

https://twitter.com/NthDoctorWho/status/1210300216265629701

Evil Fluffy posted:

Why the hell are those Twitter(?) image links not loading on the forums? :mad:

Maybe an extension is blocking them?

BillyC
Feb 19, 2013

everythin' under heaven is in utter chaos, cloud

Bread Liar

lmao at that reveal

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat
I'm not caught up with the thread yet, but man I'm pretty bummed.

Shneak posted:

I find ONE wild shiny of my own accord and this is what happens 🤡

:(:hf: :(
I was so ecstatic yesterday when I got a shiny magikarp from a raid battle. And then this morning I wake up and see they've announced an event for increased shiny magikarp... and I can't make myself believe that while they announced the event today, that it wasn't already implemented by the 30th.

So well, if that's the case, then I'm just gonna go spam dens to get a shiny with a better nature to replace my less-rare fool's good karp :mad: I guess it's a good thing Lady of the Lake is too long, and 'Morgan leFay' looks awkward. I guess I'll go for Isolde to represent my tragic grief

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

BillyC posted:

lmao at that reveal

This is why you always bring a msgikarp to ditto raids.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

BlazetheInferno posted:

Honestly, the point about it potentially not getting dubbed is a valid one - they'd have to use the *entire* new cast, since there is dialogue changes, and the original dub was by 4kids, who aren't a thing anymore.

Not to mention that Western audiences already had a Pokémon movie in the form of Detective Pikachu. Audiences that wouldn't be interested in seeing two Pokémon movies in a single year.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
My 4yo nephew is currently "catching" Pokemon around the house with the "Pokédrill" he got in his plastic toolkit for Christmas.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Just got a mimikyu from a surprise trade. Anybody use this dude in competitive play online or have a fun build for it?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
What move from gen 1 would you all suggest is the closest to the proton pack beams from Ghostbusters? Obviously has to hit ghosts since it's gonna be my fallback weapon for ghost-types since bullets phase through ghosts (I'm gonna beat Pokemon Blue with a gun)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Mega64 posted:

What move from gen 1 would you all suggest is the closest to the proton pack beams from Ghostbusters? Obviously has to hit ghosts since it's gonna be my fallback weapon for ghost-types since bullets phase through ghosts (I'm gonna beat Pokemon Blue with a gun)

Psybeam, duh.