Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Anonymous Robot posted:

I’m planning on building a new PC in the coming months, and there’s one challenge I’m encountering that I’m wondering if I might be missing a solution on.

I frequently switch my peripherals (keyboard, monitor, ethernet, etc) between my work laptop and my home desktop. Moving everything over is a little annoying, but more than that, I think it caused some damage to my desktop’s components over time, picking up and moving the tower out from under the desk all the time, causing cables to snag fans etc.

Is there a caddy or something I can use as a hub to switch peripherals between two machines without physically moving all the cables over every time?

You are looking for a KVM switch. Which is a device that allows you to plug two computers in to one keyboard, mouse and monitor. Though for the ethernet cable just run a second one for the second computer (or get a $20 5 port ethernet switch and two $1 cables to turn your one cable into as many as 4).

Amazon should have many of them, just make sure what you go to buy has suitable inputs and an output that match your exiting monitor/kb/mouse and both computers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Indiana_Krom posted:

You are looking for a KVM switch. Which is a device that allows you to plug two computers in to one keyboard, mouse and monitor. Though for the ethernet cable just run a second one for the second computer (or get a $20 5 port ethernet switch and two $1 cables to turn your one cable into as many as 4).

Amazon should have many of them, just make sure what you go to buy has suitable inputs and an output that match your exiting monitor/kb/mouse and both computers.

This is perfect, thank you!

Edit: am I gonna gently caress this thing up if I plug a USB hub into the switch? Most of these only have 2 USB ports and I have a USB mouse, keyboard, and headset that I currently have hooked into a USB hub.

Anonymous Robot fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Dec 21, 2019

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
e: whoops

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Anonymous Robot posted:

This is perfect, thank you!

Edit: am I gonna gently caress this thing up if I plug a USB hub into the switch? Most of these only have 2 USB ports and I have a USB mouse, keyboard, and headset that I currently have hooked into a USB hub.

No, I use usb hubs plugged into KVM’s in several setups. Just make sure you use a powered hub if you’re using several power-hungry USB components.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
My friend has a laptop that can surf the web just fine, ping and contact devices like smartphones on the W-Lan, but the two Raspberry Pi devices on it, simply can't be reached (one runs OctoPi for the 3D printer, the other runs some home automation software, both have webservers on port 80). They work fine with an older laptop he has and with any smartphones we tried. There's no third party AV with network filtering (poo poo like Symantec 360), nor any other applications that mess with network traffic. Disabling the firewall doesn't do anything either. Any idea what the hell is going on?

It's an Intel Wireless AC 9560 in the offending laptop. It's probably some really stupid setting, but I don't know which one. Both the old and the new laptop run the same current build of Windows 10.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Combat Pretzel posted:

My friend has a laptop that can surf the web just fine, ping and contact devices like smartphones on the W-Lan, but the two Raspberry Pi devices on it, simply can't be reached (one runs OctoPi for the 3D printer, the other runs some home automation software, both have webservers on port 80). They work fine with an older laptop he has and with any smartphones we tried. There's no third party AV with network filtering (poo poo like Symantec 360), nor any other applications that mess with network traffic. Disabling the firewall doesn't do anything either. Any idea what the hell is going on?

It's an Intel Wireless AC 9560 in the offending laptop. It's probably some really stupid setting, but I don't know which one. Both the old and the new laptop run the same current build of Windows 10.

out of curiosity, are the PI devices on the wired or the wireless network?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Good question. I can't recall. Does that make a difference? I think the OctoPi one was listed in the Ethernet device list of the router. The other one not sure. Probably Wifi, because the last time I had to restore that thing (terrible home automation software killing SD cards), he put it in a corner somewhere and left it running.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Combat Pretzel posted:

Good question. I can't recall. Does that make a difference? I think the OctoPi one was listed in the Ethernet device list of the router. The other one not sure. Probably Wifi, because the last time I had to restore that thing (terrible home automation software killing SD cards), he put it in a corner somewhere and left it running.

I wonder if they are sitting on different bands of the wifi spectrum - the laptop at 5g and the RPIs at 2.4g, and that might be contributing to the inability to communicate. Although it shouldn't affect things in theory, there are a lot of wireless settings to tweak that could be the culprit.

If they are raspberry pi 3s, then maybe try to force them on the 5g network or force the new laptop to 2.4g

See if AP isolation is enabled on any of the bands.

You can run tcpdump on the RPIs to see if they are seeing the ping or tcp packets from the new laptop.

I guess, one expensive solution could be to hook all of the RPIs to wired ethernet to make sure that it isn't the issue. And if that fixes things, then maybe get an entire wifi access point just for the RPI devices.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I guess, another way to really rule out wired vs wireless is to plug an ethernet cable into the laptop (or usb to ethernet) and see what happens. Make sure you turn off the wireless adapter so that you guarantee that the packets are going over the cable

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Something occurred to me. Can you define the MTU size, or at least the max MTU size, on the wireless router? Can you try setting it to something like 1492?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Friend wrote me this morning, when he fired up the laptop, at least the OctoPi was reachable. He watched the webcam stream of the printer for a while. When he put the device to sleep and woke it back up, connectivity broke again.

As far as the bands go, I split up the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands into different SSIDs to make everything connect to 2.4GHz. That didn't do anything.

Trying Ethernet on that laptop is probably going to be an issue. It's some super thin one, that just barely has USB ports.

The router's not going to have any MTU setting. It's an ISP supplied one, and it's pretty locked down. Configuring SSIDs, DHCP, port mapping and some simple access controls, that's about it. Forget anything useful diagnostics, there's nothing. You don't even get any information about your DSL connection quality and stats.

--ninja edit: I just got a message that restarting the Pi fixed it temporarily. So it's on that end.

That said, it's just with that laptop. Any other devices on the W-Lan can reach them at any time.

--edit: Oh here's a curve ball I just got told.

He's using a Wifi repeater contraption on the floor the OctoPi runs, that spawns a network with the same SSID, but connects to the router via some powerline adapter from TP Link.

--edit:

At this point I'm suspecting some anti-spoofing action from the router, because some MAC address from one of the Ethernet ports (the TPLink stuff creating a secondary WLan) shows up on the primary WLan and vice versa. I told him to test some poo poo regarding that (moving other devices back and forth).

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Dec 22, 2019

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Does the laptop use some fancy networking capabilities? What happens if it's kept to 802.11g or whatever lower capability level?

I guess if it's powerful enough to somehow connect to multiple access points (like mesh networking) then that would definitely confuse the tp-link. Maybe try using separate SSIDs to see if that fixes it?

Here's one possibly weird trick. If the tp-link supports 5g, then disable it. Reboot the tp-link to clear out any mac tables. Connect the laptop specifically to the 5g on the isp router. See if that fixes things... if so, then we're definitely seeing a problem with roaming.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Did you try updating the suspect device's drivers?

My wife kept beating on me to fix "our Wifi" problems once she started working from home. At the time we worked for the same company and I had used an older company issued Thinkpad but she got issued a newer HP something or other. My Thinkpad and a myriad of other in-house devices NEVER had problems but her laptop would bust it's VPN connection every few hours. I kept telling her to have the help desk push a driver update. Anyways I had to fight with her because she hated company desktop support and at this point I was pretty sure it was a problem with her damned laptop (I wasn't working for the same company anymore at this point). Even so I tried a few different things with the router like installing Tomato or whatever. Nothing helped. Finally she gave in and called tech support and told them her wifi was terrible. They pushed a new driver to her. Fixed like magic. Everything else on the home network sighed with relief.

She gets angry when I bring this up.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

im thinking of bringing my SFF Dell Optiplex 7010to work instead of bringing my laptop every day to gently caress around and game etc. any ideas on methods i could use to disguise this thing? im thinking some ACME level bullshit like a big ol flower vase or something (not that, since it wont fit)

Its small enough that it would fit in my desk drawer and i could probably just rig some ventilation with existing spare parts...

anyway, im open to ideas :shrug:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
So I’m guessing NVIDIA cards in 2019 somehow don’t support HDMI-CEC? I’m trying to get my 1660 ti to power on my TV when it turns on but I’m giving up hope.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Maybe your nvidia card can talk to my Xbox one x which turns on every tv it's ever been connected to in my house when I turn it on lol

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Revenge of the Xbox IR blaster!

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
So my power supply died and I'm pretty sure my motherboard is dead as well... Great end to the decade; if my CPU is the thing that died (motherboard looks fine but there are no lights at all and PSU fan doesn't run and no humming), shouldn't the motherboard still show some signs of life? LEDs in, PSU fan humming etc.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

CPUs dying is extremely, extremely rare. It's more likely that your PSU or mobo died as you said.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
More concerned that whatever shorted possibly shorted the CPU but I've tested the GPU and RAM and they're both fine so likely fine I guess

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
if the CPU is not-working, but the motherboard is still fine, I believe that, yes, you should still see things like fans will still spin and LEDs will still light up, provided they're connected properly to the motherboard

so if you really wanted to isolate it, then the PSU would be the first thing to make sure is dead and then to replace if necessary, followed by seeing if you can get movement from the motherboard. If you can't get the fans/LEDs to come alive, then the motherboard might be dead, but the CPU might still be good... but then the only way to make sure would be to test it on a known-working motherboard on the same socket

For what it's worth, the last time something similar happened to me, I just replaced the CPU and the motherboard at the same time because it wasn't quite worth the hassle of trying to isolate the problem to either just the one because I'd need to hunt down a working AM3 motherboard, and in any case the Athlon II X4 640 I was replacing was so old it was missing modern instruction sets anyway

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
I had a bad motherboard light up and spin fans though it'd never actually boot up the system. CPU was fine on that one, so it can go either way. Bad or dead CPUs are pretty uncommon however.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Have bad or dead CPUs been rare "forever" ? I'm 33 in a few weeks and was raised a nerd and have yet to know somebody irl w a blown CPU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Statutory Ape posted:

Have bad or dead CPUs been rare "forever" ? I'm 33 in a few weeks and was raised a nerd and have yet to know somebody irl w a blown CPU

Pretty much. I did PC repair for 8 years in the early 2000s and came across a bad CPU once, and old Athlon 64. It was so special I kept it around just to prove I actually found one.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I saw a bad cpu once. It was back in the 90s or so and someone forced a cpu to be plugged in the wrong orientation

pretty impossible to make that mistake now with the numerous indicators telling you that it's the wrong way

Demostrs
Mar 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
that's more user error tho than the cpu being faulty

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I had a bad motherboard once because I accidentally whacked it pretty hard with a screwdriver.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I was a field tech and serviced digital photo kiosks based on embedded x86 systems from 2004-2012.

Replacing failed Northwood 3.06 GHz Pentium 4s was a fairly common call in the late 2000s, although that had more to do with the piss-poor thermal management of the systems than any shortcomings on the processor's part.

80+ watts of heat being blasted into a bespoke sub-shoebox sized case that was cooled by a single 60mm fan. If I had to hazard a guess I replaced several dozen of them over a 5 year period.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Demostrs posted:

that's more user error tho than the cpu being faulty

yeah

what I'm trying to say is that I have never seen a cpu go bad from simple wear and tear

but I have seen plenty of motherboards just immediately die.

or they just go bad very slowly, which is why usb is a godsend and has saved many all-in-one PCs from the recycle bin

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I've never run into any ICs that just "died" over my decades of computing or using small electronics. Anything that fails usually has moving parts (drives, fans,) or capacitors, etc. If an IC is actually going to "fail" it's got to be from one of: physical damage (i.e. impact/drops,) liquid damage, or lightning/power surge.

EpicCodeMonkey
Feb 19, 2011

Atomizer posted:

I've never run into any ICs that just "died" over my decades of computing or using small electronics. Anything that fails usually has moving parts (drives, fans,) or capacitors, etc. If an IC is actually going to "fail" it's got to be from one of: physical damage (i.e. impact/drops,) liquid damage, or lightning/power surge.

Atom C2000 series?

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
I've seen surprisingly many CPU failures. We administer a bit over hundred HPE and Dell servers and we average at least 1 or 2 CPU RMAs per year. Temperatures aren't on issue on the data center and the city power grid is high quality by all indication. Just this year we had an older HPE blade server that got motherboard and both CPUs replaced, all in different times.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Statutory Ape posted:

It's getting worse - Skylake-X just isn't as good as previous chips, it would seem. I've personally seen a box that had problems with both cpus!! it is otherwise very rare. When diagnosing the issue, a guy from Cisco mentioned that they've seen a recent spike in cpu failures.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Appropriate to this thread, I just had to send back an old 3960X chip I bought on fleabay for being DOA, it wouldn’t boot on either of my two X79 motherboards. I’m pretty sure it was the first bad processor I’ve ever run into in 20+ years of system building.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Geoj posted:

I was a field tech and serviced digital photo kiosks based on embedded x86 systems from 2004-2012.

Replacing failed Northwood 3.06 GHz Pentium 4s was a fairly common call in the late 2000s, although that had more to do with the piss-poor thermal management of the systems than any shortcomings on the processor's part.

80+ watts of heat being blasted into a bespoke sub-shoebox sized case that was cooled by a single 60mm fan. If I had to hazard a guess I replaced several dozen of them over a 5 year period.

Did this align with the counterfeit capacitors issue? God what a lovely time to be in the field. "Luckily" I was still in the helpdesk portion of my career then and didn't have do to 1000+ dell mobo replacements.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I replaced a fair number of system boards in that time but I don't recall there being a specific issue with capacitors. IBM and later Lenovo were the vendors behind the hardware so I may have dodged that particular bullet.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 2, 2020

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Employee at Company A stole a formula for electrolyte and took it with him when he went to work for Company B. Unfortunately the formula was incomplete and resulted in thousands, maybe millions of boards with bad caps.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Employee at Company A stole a formula for electrolyte and took it with him when he went to work for Company B. Unfortunately the formula was incomplete and resulted in thousands, maybe millions of boards with bad caps.

It was an absolute clusterfuck. So many electronics tossed because of a few cents worth of dodgy capacitors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

EpicCodeMonkey posted:

Atom C2000 series?

Hadn't used them myself. To be clear, I'm not saying I don't think it's possible for ICs to fail down the line due to some previously unseen defect, just that I haven't run into this situation myself. I've been using PCs going all the way back to the 386 (as well as small electronics of similar vintage like game consoles, etc.) but don't have a huge sample size as some of you guys who've worked in tech support have described.