Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Also, a follow-up question.

Which of these Pokemon would you recommend as bullets? Electrode makes the most sense, but I'm wondering if it'd be fine if I had a variety of bullets or if I should just use six Electrodes to fill holes into my opposition with my PokeGun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Rythe posted:

Just got a mimikyu from a surprise trade. Anybody use this dude in competitive play online or have a fun build for it?

Life orb with shadow claw, shadow sneak, swords dance, and play rough. EVs in attack and speed. A good little friend

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Watch out for Mold Breaker with Mimikyu. Learned that the hard way earlier today.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

indigi posted:

Life orb with shadow claw, shadow sneak, swords dance, and play rough. EVs in attack and speed. A good little friend

Adamant or Jolly nature? Seems like it's a speed race with this new generation. Almost all my IV breed mons are Jolly with max speed.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

I haven't touched a Pokemon game since Diamond, but I'm looking for something portable on the Switch and figured this may be a good time to get back in the series. However, I'm noticing that there's a lot of negative user reviews for this, which normally wouldn't be a big deal, except they make the game sound kind of half-baked.

Is this just people being drama queens? For the record I'd probably play this for the main game, then spend some time breeding up a team for fun and to satisfy my OCD and play with whatever online stuff is available, but I'm not a hardcore PvP type.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Big Mad Drongo posted:

I haven't touched a Pokemon game since Diamond, but I'm looking for something portable on the Switch and figured this may be a good time to get back in the series. However, I'm noticing that there's a lot of negative user reviews for the game, which normally wouldn't be a big deal, except they make the game sound kind of half-baked.

Is this just people being drama queens? For the record I'd probably play this for the main game, then spend some time breeding up a team for fun and to satisfy my OCD and play with whatever online stuff is available, but I'm not a hardcore PvP type.

It's a little anemic and has some very obviously cut corners, but it's still a perfectly fine game. No worse than XY, although that comparison means nothing to you. Most of the complaints are false, about graphics/performance (which is fine 99% of the time, IMO), or that all 880 pokemon are not included. I'd give it a shot, honestly. It's still fun and that's what matters.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Big Mad Drongo posted:

I haven't touched a Pokemon game since Diamond, but I'm looking for something portable on the Switch and figured this may be a good time to get back in the series. However, I'm noticing that there's a lot of negative user reviews for this, which normally wouldn't be a big deal, except they make the game sound kind of half-baked.

it's a good game, 90% of complaints will not apply to you if you're returning to the series after 10+ years. The complaints about the online systems are valid tho

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Rythe posted:

Adamant or Jolly nature? Seems like it's a speed race with this new generation. Almost all my IV breed mons are Jolly with max speed.

I go Adamant because of shadow sneak and disguise, but I could see a good argument for Jolly. I think it's dealer's choice

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Rythe posted:

mimkyu needs the atk imo

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Vinylshadow posted:

]
I also can't take Ash being angry seriously

He looks like he's taking a particularly difficult poo poo.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Epic High Five posted:

it's a good game, 90% of complaints will not apply to you if you're returning to the series after 10+ years. The complaints about the online systems are valid tho

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

It's a little anemic and has some very obviously cut corners, but it's still a perfectly fine game. No worse than XY, although that comparison means nothing to you. Most of the complaints are false, about graphics/performance (which is fine 99% of the time, IMO), or that all 880 pokemon are not included. I'd give it a shot, honestly. It's still fun and that's what matters.

Thanks for clarifying! Since I'm fresh from the DS days I'm sure I'll have a blast.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Big Mad Drongo posted:

However, I'm noticing that there's a lot of negative user reviews for this, which normally wouldn't be a big deal, except they make the game sound kind of half-baked.

Is this just people being drama queens?
Yes. The internet has told itself for twenty years that someday, when Pokemon is on a console that wears big boy pants instead of a handheld, that you’re going to see an incredible breakthrough of immersive open-world MMO-like gameplay. That didn’t happen and now they’re pissed.

The game is fine, it just doesn’t aspire to be a system seller beyond the value of it’s brand recognition. It doesn’t change Pokemon forever like we expected it would in 2005. Pokémon GO is more of a live service MMO than this.

BlazetheInferno posted:

Honestly, the point about it potentially not getting dubbed is a valid one - they'd have to use the *entire* new cast, since there is dialogue changes, and the original dub was by 4kids, who aren't a thing anymore.

The original dub is loving terrible and largely responsible for avoiding Pokemon for a lot of years. (And the general merchandising flood around the time the millennium changed over in general, but yeah I am not an anime purist and enjoy a lot of dubs but never Pokemon.)

Thank god 4Kids is done.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Vinylshadow posted:

Kinda hard to do now that they're sailors

https://twitter.com/NthDoctorWho/status/1210300216265629701

Maybe an extension is blocking them?

There is no reason to dub this now.

Craptacular! posted:

The original dub is loving terrible and largely responsible for avoiding Pokemon for a lot of years. (And the general merchandising flood around the time the millennium changed over in general, but yeah I am not an anime purist and enjoy a lot of dubs but never Pokemon.)

Thank god 4Kids is done.

Tbh the dubs are worse now than when 4kids was doing them.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I'll take a slightly punched up, overacted dub with a Y7-V edit list over a more accurate dub with small (ish) edits but the cast is expressly forbidden from any acting that goes beyond "this person is mildly perturbed" any day.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jan 1, 2020

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Electric Phantasm posted:

ok boomer

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Craptacular! posted:

The game is fine, it just doesn’t aspire to be a system seller beyond the value of it’s brand recognition. It doesn’t change Pokemon forever like we expected it would in 2005. Pokémon GO is more of a live service MMO than this.

The absolute biggest joke is that beyond the controversy (which basically amounts to a 5 month long tantrum that's still echoed by the vocal minority), the game still managed to be one of the fastest selling games for the Switch. A lot of the anger originated from a fear of the unknown, and now that the game's released and its contents have been delved, most of its subsided and most of the legitimate complains are mostly about the crappy online and how barebones it is compared to say, Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon.

So the game's fine, not spectacular, but the vocal minority makes it seem like its a lot worse then it actually is.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

It also represents a fresh start for people who have bee out for years and want to, as they say, catch them all without needing 3 systems and 6 games or whatever

However if they don't reintroduce the full old Dex over the next couple gens there's gonna be trouble

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Eh. I wouldn't miss the Nat Dex if it never comes back.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I want Pinsir back

The rest I could take or leave

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I wouldn't care about the national dex if the game was better than a C+

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Epic High Five posted:

However if they don't reintroduce the full old Dex over the next couple gens there's gonna be trouble

Given the amount of "feedback" they've gotten (which mostly amounts to making the jobs of their social media employees hell), I'm pretty sure Game Freak/Nintendo/TPCi is well aware of how upset the long time fanbase was at this change.

Heck, the main reason why the Virtual Console versions of the Gen 1 and Gen 2 games for the 3DS exist was because of their regrets of not being able for them to be compatible with Gen 3 and beyond. So I'm pretty sure they're working on some kind of solution, which is probably going to take the form of another set of games that fans will eat up: ideally, a limited roster similar to Sword and Shield, but featuring monsters that weren't in those games.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I'm not sure they give a gently caress what we cash pigs think

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Generations or whatever it’s called didn’t seem too bad. The one with Red.

The dub will likely never improve because even after kids who grew up thinking Veronica Taylor is what Ash should sound like have grown up, they’ll just end up showing their kids the same episodes they loved instead of the new ones. Other kids properties are never able to get out of their original shadow for the same reason.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Epic High Five posted:

I'm not sure they give a gently caress what we cash pigs think

drain me Game Freak

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Gamers are not exactly known for their restraint.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

indigi posted:

I wouldn't care about the national dex if the game was better than a C+

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Craptacular! posted:

Generations or whatever it’s called didn’t seem too bad. The one with Red.

The dub will likely never improve because even after kids who grew up thinking Veronica Taylor is what Ash should sound like have grown up, they’ll just end up showing their kids the same episodes they loved instead of the new ones. Other kids properties are never able to get out of their original shadow for the same reason.

Oh yeah Generations is good and my biggest problem with dubs right now is that they're boring.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Zuzie posted:

The absolute biggest joke is that beyond the controversy (which basically amounts to a 5 month long tantrum that's still echoed by the vocal minority), the game still managed to be one of the fastest selling games for the Switch.

Best take I’ve seen in the whole thing:
https://twitter.com/TheRapture_/status/1197581424745943041

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

My biggest gripe with the dub is that they keep gutting the soundtrack in favor of samey dub tracks.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Zuzie posted:

My biggest gripe with the dub is that they keep gutting the soundtrack in favor of samey dub tracks.

Same. I'd honestly be fine with the current dub if it weren't for this.

I know they haven't because the market for it is like five people so there's no reason to buy the license, but I do wish TPCI would offer a streaming English sub though. There's no complete English sub for most of the seasons before like. Best Wishes.

(But I also have only liked Veronica Taylor as a voice actress in one thing. In general, the only thing I like about the Pokemon 4kid's dub is Team Rocket, even if Pokemon was one of the few decent 4kids dubs.)

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Tfw you could get used to this heat on your skin

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

indigi posted:

ok boomer

:psyduck: I am so confused by this exchange.

ConanThe3rd posted:

Eh. I wouldn't miss the Nat Dex if it never comes back.

Me either. I enjoy picking up a game and catching everything in it.

I am interested in Home. I got a couple of older games I'd be interested in picking some mons to upload to the cloud. I do enjoy collecting things. I didn't do bank since I was late to getting a 3DS, Moon was the only one I bought for it and apparently I played a whole 6 hours and then hosed off until Sw/sh came out. I restarted it a couple of days ago but I'm still barely into it.

I think my biggest hope for Home is that they keep adding features.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I haven't been able to join a Max Raid battle all day -- every time I try I get a communication error. Is there something I'm missing or is there just no multiplayer whatsoever?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

hopeandjoy posted:

Same. I'd honestly be fine with the current dub if it weren't for this.

I know they haven't because the market for it is like five people so there's no reason to buy the license, but I do wish TPCI would offer a streaming English sub though. There's no complete English sub for most of the seasons before like. Best Wishes.

(But I also have only liked Veronica Taylor as a voice actress in one thing. In general, the only thing I like about the Pokemon 4kid's dub is Team Rocket, even if Pokemon was one of the few decent 4kids dubs.)

For all its faults, the 4Kids dub did good music and some witty dialogue inserts. Some of the acting was genuinely good as well.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Geostomp posted:

For all its faults, the 4Kids dub did good music and some witty dialogue inserts. Some of the acting was genuinely good as well.

Never 4get 2 B A Master

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Tayter Swift posted:

I haven't been able to join a Max Raid battle all day -- every time I try I get a communication error. Is there something I'm missing or is there just no multiplayer whatsoever?

the online system is horrendously bad

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Tayter Swift posted:

Last time someone suggested refresh the wild area news. It's under Mystery Gifts or something similar.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

GoodBee posted:

Last time someone suggested refresh the wild area news. It's under Mystery Gifts or something similar.

Finally managed to get into one. Was hoping I was doing something wrong but nope, it's just crap.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I wish there was a way to do a new game in pokemon without waiting for pokemon home to save your mons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I wish there was a way to do a new game in pokemon without waiting for pokemon home to save your mons.

You can! Start a new profile on your switch and start a new game under that profile. Some of the cool goons on discord have used that as an opportunity to get foreign Dittos and such.