Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Some years, you can hear the wrestlers coordinating in ring for big spots, particularly Big Show. I'm sure it's partially the always quiet crowds but I feel like they mic the ring differently.

It's also funny when someone gets eliminated by accident and you can see the wrestler's genuine reaction on the hard cam. There was one with, I think, Miz and Riley, eliminating someone like Cena way early.

There was also the time that Steve Austin got eliminated way before he was supposed to be. This was back when he was the Ringmaster so it wasn't that big a deal.

And, of course, when Macho Man accidentally eliminated himself by jumping off the top turnbuckle, but the commentators covered for him saying you could only be eliminated when somebody else throws you out, and Taker threw him back in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Is Hunter just trying really hard to look like Jeff Bridges in Iron Man?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Bad Wolf posted:

There was also the time that Steve Austin got eliminated way before he was supposed to be. This was back when he was the Ringmaster so it wasn't that big a deal.

And, of course, when Macho Man accidentally eliminated himself by jumping off the top turnbuckle, but the commentators covered for him saying you could only be eliminated when somebody else throws you out, and Taker threw him back in.

His elimination by Yokozuna tossing him from the floor (while Macho was trying to pin him, in a Rumble) over the top rope is one of the dumbest eliminations I've ever seen.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

Admiral Joeslop posted:

His elimination by Yokozuna tossing him from the floor (while Macho was trying to pin him, in a Rumble) over the top rope is one of the dumbest eliminations I've ever seen.

The funny thing is, they could have totally explained both things in kayfabe, since by that point, both he and Liz had been psychologically and physically tortured by Jake The Snake for months, so they could have just said his head wasn't in the Rumble at all. (IIRC, he jumped off the turnbuckle to hit Jake anyway)

For actual dumbest elimination, I'm going with Mil Mascaras, who also jumped over the ropes himself, because in his shoot mind, the only wrestler legendary enough to eliminate Mil Mascaras, was Mil Mascaras. (Note that in this Rumble, you could totally eliminate yourself then, while Randy couldn't years earlier, because the Rules of the Rumble change to whatever's convenient at the time.) Oooh, that reminds me, second dumbest elimination is Finlay, being disqualified for using a foreign object, which has never happened before or since.

Edit : Wait, the jumping off and Yokozuna thing were two seperate Rumbles, stupid of me , as that was the one Flair won, AKA the best Rumble of all time.

Bad Wolf fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Dec 27, 2019

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The 1999 Rumble was peak Russo, with half the action taking place on the outside and entrants like Austin and Vince loving off for the majority of the match.

EDIT: This is also the Rumble where half the wrestlers tried to look cool by getting a bunch of facial piercings. In an industry where you regularly get punched in the face.

Pope Corky the IX fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Dec 27, 2019

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

The 1999 Rumble was peak Russo, with half the action taking place on the outside and entrants like Austin and Vince loving off for the majority of the match.

EDIT: This is also the Rumble where half the wrestlers tried to look cool by getting a bunch of facial piercings. In an industry where you regularly get punched in the face.

The 30 seconds or so where we go from the Ministry of Darkness putting Mabel into a hearse to Austin returning in an ambulance he's commandeered (during the match, in the same shot!) might be the best summary of the Attitude Era that's not horribly racist and/or misogynistic.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

So I've got an interesting question that I've never seen talked about much.

What kind of mistakes did Vince McMahon make in the early days of the WWF? What kind of growing pains did the company have? From the way they spin the story, he took over from his dad and then went national and made all the money in the world, but surely he made some kind of notable errors or mistakes in those first several years?

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Vandar posted:

What kind of mistakes did Vince McMahon make in the early days of the WWF? What kind of growing pains did the company have? From the way they spin the story, he took over from his dad and then went national and made all the money in the world, but surely he made some kind of notable errors or mistakes in those first several years?

Steroids

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the most glamorized problem was how he was going to go into the shitter and dissolve the company if the first wrestlemania didn't generate strong roh-like buzz. i have no idea how real that is though. not really sure closed circuit tv was a cash cow and the whole thing seemed more intended to try and prove wwf was important more than to make enough money to continue onward. in conclusion, I don't know, and i'm sorry.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Bad Wolf posted:

Oooh, that reminds me, second dumbest elimination is Finlay, being disqualified for using a foreign object, which has never happened before or since.

My mind instantly jumps to Raven pushing a shopping cart of bullshit down to the ring in Royal Rumble 2001

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
This is something that Bix would know a lot about but from memory there were a decent number of markets where they tried to break into early in the expansion but failed; generally places that had strong territories that were actually good at the time so people either entirely disregarded WWF since their usual wrestling was perfectly fine or gave it time, thought it stunk and went away. There's the story of them buying out GCW for their slot on TBS with the idea being to dominate Cable TV and there was a massive backlash to people losing their preferred type of wrestling and complaining to TBS who then launched other wrestling shows that started beating WWF in the traditional timeslot. It wasn't really until they won the war of attrition that they started beating those companies in those places but that wasn't so much WWF increasing but everyone else losing their talent and entering the death spiral. I don't know if you can necessarily say they "failed" long term but there were totally places where they entered early and lost a load of money for no real gain.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
WWF/WWE was never really accepted in the southeast until WCW died and there wasn't anything else

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Vandar posted:

The World Bodybuilding Federation was probably a little later than what you’re looking for but I think that was one of the first times it became clear that Vince A: wanted to branch out from wrestling and B: wasn’t very good at things that weren’t wrestling

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Aesop Poprock posted:

The World Bodybuilding Federation was probably a little later than what you’re looking for but I think that was one of the first times it became clear that Vince A: wanted to branch out from wrestling and B: wasn’t very good at things that weren’t wrestling

Before the WBF, Vince's "Titan Sports" tried promoting a boxing match, a Sugar Ray Leonard fight.

https://www.cagesideseats.com/2010/1/19/1259613/a-quick-look-at-wwes-other-non

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Were all of Davey Boy's best matches with Bret?

Of course there's their bout at SS '92 but one of the earliest wrestling matches I can vividly remember is his match with Bret at In Your House 5. I can't find reviews for the PPV but Dave apparently gave this match 4.5 stars. That seems like very good praise and I liked it a lot upon a re-watch.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

NikkolasKing posted:

Were all of Davey Boy's best matches with Bret?

Of course there's their bout at SS '92 but one of the earliest wrestling matches I can vividly remember is his match with Bret at In Your House 5. I can't find reviews for the PPV but Dave apparently gave this match 4.5 stars. That seems like very good praise and I liked it a lot upon a re-watch.

The British Bulldogs had lots of great tags in Japan, the New Japan stuff might be hard to find but the All Japan stuff should be around. Includes tags against a young Kawada, plus Kroffat and Furnas and the Malenkos.

Also had singles matches in Japan vs Dynamite and LaFon.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

He had a match or two with Warlord that were way the hell better than they had any right to be

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Vandar posted:

WrestleMania 2 by all accounts was a massive flop for the company because WWF was stretched too far by holding it in three venues.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
European title match vs Owen was good. Canadian Stampede 10 man tag match too.

Dave Meltzers best Bulldog matches on Cagematch

17.12.1995 - Bret Hart vs. The British Bulldog
12.12.1984 - Davey Boy Smith & Dynamite Kid vs. Masanobu Fuchi & Toshiaki Kawada
03.03.1997 - Owen Hart vs. The British Bulldog
12.05.1989 -Danny Kroffat & Doug Furnas vs. Davey Boy Smith & Dynamite Kid
29.08.1992 - Bret Hart vs. The British Bulldog
23.06.1996 - Shawn Michaels vs. The British Bulldog
26.05.1997 - Owen Hart & The British Bulldog vs. Shawn Michaels & Steve Austin
06.07.1997 - Bret Hart, Brian Pillman, Jim Neidhart, Owen Hart & The British Bulldog vs. Goldust, Ken Shamrock, Road Warrior Animal, Road Warrior Hawk & Steve Austin
08.12.1984 - Davey Boy Smith & Dynamite Kid vs. Magic Dragon & Masanobu Fuchi
07.04.1986 - Brutus Beefcake & Greg Valentine vs. Davey Boy Smith & The Dynamite Kid
26.11.1987 - Ax, Boris Zhukov, Bret Hart, Dino Bravo, Greg Valentine, Haku, Jim Neidhart, Nikolai Volkoff, Smash & Tama vs. B. Brian Blair, Davey Boy Smith, Jacques Rougeau, Jim Brunzell, Jim Powers, Paul Roma, Raymond Rougeau, Rick Martel, The Dynamite Kid & Tito Santana

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Bad Wolf posted:

For actual dumbest elimination, I'm going with Mil Mascaras, who also jumped over the ropes himself, because in his shoot mind, the only wrestler legendary enough to eliminate Mil Mascaras, was Mil Mascaras

and he was right

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Wasn't somebody unironically defending the Mil Mascaras elimination in a previous version of this thread?

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

you were

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
What are the lyrics to Jay White's theme? 1961 something something else

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

DeathChicken posted:

He had a match or two with Warlord that were way the hell better than they had any right to be

The battle of two men that can't put their arms down.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Justin Godscock posted:

WrestleMania 2 by all accounts was a massive flop for the company because WWF was stretched too far by holding it in three venues.

It wasn't really a financial flop it just wasn't as big as they hoped.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

What are the lyrics to Jay White's theme? 1961 something something else

In 1961, they start another war

It's a sample from this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMXZn6QRSJU

Son of Man
Jan 29, 2003

by Azathoth

Cavauro posted:

the most glamorized problem was how he was going to go into the shitter and dissolve the company if the first wrestlemania didn't generate strong roh-like buzz. i have no idea how real that is though. not really sure closed circuit tv was a cash cow and the whole thing seemed more intended to try and prove wwf was important more than to make enough money to continue onward. in conclusion, I don't know, and i'm sorry.

Don't forget Vince's earliest triumph, where he totally took out this massive loan from his dad and if the business didn't become hugely successful Vince would have been ruined for life!!!

I wonder if he stole his bs self made story from Trump or vice versa

Son of Man
Jan 29, 2003

by Azathoth
Big thanks to whoever posted that list of everything stupid TNA ever did. I never watched much so it's actually a pretty good summary of TNA history. One entry says that pwi stopped recognizing the TNA title, thus making TNA an indie promotion. I have wondered what makes a promotion 'independent' or not. Is this distinction policed by pwi magazine?? Is there a concrete distinction?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

PWI stopped recognizing the TNA belt as a World title. It doesn't mean they're "indie", it just means that the belt isn't as "prestigious" as other "World" titles.

PWI and its sister magazines would only officially recognized a few promotions claim to have a "World" championship. In the 80s, that was the NWA, the AWA, and the WWF. Other promotions could claim to have world champions (WCCW, ICW, CWA in Memphis, WWA), but PWI wouldn't recognize those claims. In their magazines, they would simply be listed, for example, as the WCCW Heavyweight Champion, or the ICW Heavyweight Champion. It was just a way to make the "sport" appear more legitimate.

One of the criteria for being listed as a World title was having some sort of national presence. The NWA had TBS, AWA had ESPN, WWF had USA/NBC.
Once they started doing regular PPVs and (I think) got on TNN, PWI began recognizing the ECW title as a "World" championship.

But they would also strip "World" recognition as well. For most of late 70s to early 80s, the WWWF title wasn't recognized as a "World" title, because they never left the northeast. After 30 years, PWI stopped recognizing the AWA title as a "World" as the promotion was going down the drain.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I would guess that, minimum, a TV deal would make a company no longer indie. But also you could consider whether they're publicly owned, or do regular PPVs instead of TV, or probably some other things.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
My favourite poo poo TNA booking storyline is Eric Young and Kevin Nash are a tag team. Scott hall and X PAC are trying to tempt Nash to join them and reform The Band. Nash refused until he turned on Young in a ppv match. Young then feuds with the Wolfpack with Samoa Joe and The Pope. During this time Hall is released. Young turns on Joe/Pope and joins the Wolfpac. Waltman gets released soon after. Leaving us with the team of Nash and Young. Right where we started.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

Leaving us with the team of Nash and Young. Right where we started.

Alas, without Crosby and Stills around, it just wasn't the same.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Hall was there though right? Sans Oates

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Hall was there incredibly sporadically.

2002: Part of the initial weekly PPV era, mostly feuding with Jeff Jarrett, briefly tagging with Syxx-Pac

2004: Returns with Kevin Nash as part of the stable The Kings of Wrestling, which for some reason involved dressing up like Fat Elvis. AJ Style and Jeff Hardy's Mystery Partner against the Kings is Randy Savage in his last brief wrestling appearance. He loses to Jeff Hardy at the next PPV and disappears.

2007: Scott Hall is teased as Sting's mystery partner at a PPV in a match against Nash and Kurt Angle, but the mystery partner is Booker T.

Hall does appear, but only to attack Kurt Angle and declare that he's there to get revenge on Nash for not supporting him. Nash and Hall make up, team up with Samoa Joe and start a feud with the Angle Alliance, but then Hall no-shows and Eric Young begins the aforementioned tumultuous partnership with Eric Young. Hall does not actually wrestle a match during this run.

2008: Scott Hall appears in the crowd during a PPV with the Insane Clown Posse in what was either a worked shoot, or a shoot, or maybe the ICP appearing was a work but they brought Hall along unannounced and the plans were scrapped

2010: THE NEW MONDAY NIGHT WARS.

January 4: Hall and Waltman appear as "Outsiders" and try to get "The Band" back together with Hogan and Nash. Nash is receptive, but Hogan won't have it. Hall/Nash/Waltman beat up Mick Foley, who is wary of Hogan's new power.

January 17: Hall and Nash are scheduled to wrestle Beer Money but Waltman fills in for Hall

January 21: Hogan orders Hall and Waltman be arrested because they're not TNA contracted wrestlers

February 4: Hall and Waltman turn on Nash

February 18: Eric Young saves his old buddy Kevin Nash (who had turned on him to form the Main Event Mafia a couple of years earlier) from a Hall/Waltman beatdown, they spend the next month brawling

March 21: Nash/Young vs. Hall/Waltman have a match with the latter's TNA contracts on the line. Nash turns on Young, winning his buddies contracts and Reforming the Band

March 29: Eric Young is offered a spot in The Band, turns it down and gets beaten

April 18: After Nash squashes Eric Young, he teams with Hall to job to the Dudley Boys because Waltman no-showed and never appears in TNA again

May 4: Eric Young turns on the Dudley Boys to join the Band after all

May 13: Nash and Hall beat Matt Morgan for the tag titles. Yes, just Matt Morgan.

May 19: Nash invokes the Freebird Rule so that Hall and Young can defend the tag titles against Matt Morgan. Again, just Matt Morgan.

June 14: The Band are stripped of the tag team championships

June 15: Scott Hall and Sean Waltman are released

June 24: Eric Young and Kevin Nash amicably break up The Band

October 13: Kevin Nash announces he is retiring

January 2011: Nash re-signs with TNA, but then gets an offer to be a surprise entrant in the Royal Rumble and manages to talk Dixie Carter out of honoring his new contract so that he could text himself and derail CM Punk's big main event push

And that was the end of the Band, though they're all going into the WWE Hall of Fame next year!

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I will always remember the new Monday Night "War" for the greatest moment in podcasting history

"I WOULD BUY A GOLD BOAT"

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Randaconda posted:

I will always remember the new Monday Night "War" for the greatest moment in podcasting history

"I WOULD BUY A GOLD BOAT"
I think that was the first show they did after I subscribed and it was wonderful.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

What are Tyler Breeze and Fandango up to these days?

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

ShootaBoy posted:

What are Tyler Breeze and Fandango up to these days?

Back in NXT.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Kvantum posted:

Back in NXT.

Welp. Is there anyone that made a big debut out of NXT that's actually doing poo poo of some degree of importance outside of the women's division? I've been out of watching for a couple years now, but it seemed like everyone that came up from NXT ended up looking shittier than they did down there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

ShootaBoy posted:

Welp. Is there anyone that made a big debut out of NXT that's actually doing poo poo of some degree of importance outside of the women's division? I've been out of watching for a couple years now, but it seemed like everyone that came up from NXT ended up looking shittier than they did down there.

Pro Scoopsgal Rarity actually did a big writeup of every NXT callup since the debut of The Shield a few months ago. Despite the early ones being about a 50/50 ratio of Successes to Failures that's mostly going by everything they'd done up to 2019, back in 2014-15 a lot of those "Fails" were either considered successful or undetermined/somewhere in the middle. You can pretty easily spot the exact moment the quality of booking callups dropped off a cliff. Semi-related, that's about when I stopped watching WWE TV for good.

Short answer: Seth, Roman, Wyatt, KO, Corbin (unfortunately), Balor, Joe, Nakamura, Drew, and Andrade are all varying levels of important/credible, at least as much as you can be in WWE these days. Everyone else is a jobber dork or not on TV.

I'd say AOP and War Machine are doing ok but everyone in the tag division is inherently a jobber in WWE.