Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Oh and hey, you know that big rear end ship they're using as a base on the forest planet? Apparently that's the ship from the beginning of the original Star Wars. Just another cheap reference that I don't know that anyone would get without it being pointed out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

christmas boots posted:

Oh and hey, you know that big rear end ship they're using as a base on the forest planet? Apparently that's the ship from the beginning of the original Star Wars. Just another cheap reference that I don't know that anyone would get without it being pointed out.

I mean, it was pretty obviously a ship of the same design at least. Not too many spaceships out there look like a giant pack of cigarettes attached to a hammerhead dildo, so it stands out.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i hope they reboot the original movies and luke skywalker is played by like chris pratt or something.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Owlbear Camus posted:

Now that the entire Sequel Trilogy is on the books to reflect on as a contiguous story, I've come around to agree with the people who defend the prequels as better by contrast. They are ugly, leaden, and ineptly told-- but taken together they tell a more narratively and thematically coherent story than the ST.

Yeah, can't disagree with this

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

I mean, it was pretty obviously a ship of the same design at least. Not too many spaceships out there look like a giant pack of cigarettes attached to a hammerhead dildo, so it stands out.

Well there SHOULD be

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

lmao it’s actually supposed to be the tantive iv? because vader didn’t scrap it immediately as they tore it apart looking for the plans. that’s even dumber and more outlandish than palls coming back

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Owlbear Camus posted:

Now that the entire Sequel Trilogy is on the books to reflect on as a contiguous story, I've come around to agree with the people who defend the prequels as better by contrast. They are ugly, leaden, and ineptly told-- but taken together they tell a more narratively and thematically coherent story than the ST.

I'm neutral on the main point, but could you comment on the thematically coherent bit? To me the PT didn't seem to have any more of a continuous thrust (sorry if that sounds dirty) throughout its entries than the ST, and Episode III in particular, much like Rise of Skywalker, seems to abandon many of its predecessors' setups in order to retell the entire trilogy's general storyline in a single self-contained movie using a different approach.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

TK-42-1 posted:

lmao it’s actually supposed to be the tantive iv? because vader didn’t scrap it immediately as they tore it apart looking for the plans. that’s even dumber and more outlandish than palls coming back

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Tantive_IV

Although tbh the idea that they only half-assed the job of destroying it and then it got forgotten in some random hanger under a mountain of paperwork is probably the most grounded element in any of the movies.

I'm neutral on the main point, but could you comment on the thematically coherent bit? To me the PT didn't seem to have any more of a continuous thrust (sorry if that sounds dirty) throughout its entries than the ST, and Episode III in particular, much like Rise of Skywalker, seems to abandon many of its predecessors' setups in order to retell the entire trilogy's general storyline in a single self-contained movie using a different approach.

For one thing Palpatine was the ultimate villain the entire time rather than being shoehorned in the last one. It's also pretty clear from the first one that he's playing both sides to grant himself power. The execution leaves a lot to be desired but the through line of Palpatine's creating a conflict that he exploits to place himself in power destroy the Jedi is a pretty straightforward one. It seems pretty clear to me that the prequels were created with at least the skeleton of the overall arc already in mind, whereas the newer movies obviously did not have that.

christmas boots fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jan 1, 2020

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

christmas boots posted:

So apparently most of the answers are in the Star Wars visual dictionary which, in addition to calling three-time terrorist Chewbacca "apolitical", also explains who the hooded people hanging out in the Palpatomb are.

They're the rea Sith or whatever. They descendants of the old Sith Empire that formed a cult that was working behind the scenes throughout all of history and somehow became loyal to Palpatine personally. So canonically they've been building that fleet since before the Phantom Menace which is really dumb imo

It's great because not only did he give the finger to TLJ he also undermined the entire series.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Pretty weird how they ended the movie with a rousing music number of "Please Mr Palpatine".

10-9-8765-4-3-2
One second please!
Please Mr. Palpatine(Uh oh!)
I don't wanna go (please don't shoot me into outer space)
P-P-Please Mr. Palpatine(Uh oh!)
I don't wanna go (please don't shoot me into outer space)

I sweat when they stuff me in my high-waist suit,
Ripoff Vader helmet, woodoo-hide boots
Nowhere up there in the outer rim (outer, space)
I need to snack on that jedi trim (outer, space)
Are you reading me loud and clear?
Oh!

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

christmas boots posted:

So apparently most of the answers are in the Star Wars visual dictionary which, in addition to calling three-time terrorist Chewbacca "apolitical", also explains who the hooded people hanging out in the Palpatomb are.

They're the rea Sith or whatever. They descendants of the old Sith Empire that formed a cult that was working behind the scenes throughout all of history and somehow became loyal to Palpatine personally. So canonically they've been building that fleet since before the Phantom Menace which is really dumb imo

This is basically the plot from The Old Republic games, where the current sith empire gets invaded and taken over by the true sith empire with the true sith emperor, who then gets bored with them and builds a whole other even more secret and more powerful empire behind the scenes

It's hacks all the way down

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Roman Reigns posted:

This is basically the plot from The Old Republic games, where the current sith empire gets invaded and taken over by the true sith empire with the true sith emperor, who then gets bored with them and builds a whole other even more secret and more powerful empire behind the scenes

It's hacks all the way down

Yup. And I think BioWare came out with that expansion four years ago, or so? What was the point of rebooting the EU if you're just going to reuse it all?

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

shadow puppet of a posted:

I'm a wanted man. I've laid pipe in twelve systems.

I'll be careful.

Edit: I wouldn't put TOO much stock into copy from "The Art Of" book. I know it's official and all, but a lot of that type of stuff is a little hyperbolic to make whatever the subject is sound interesting, (the "real" sith - I mean, it's not like we've been watching "fake" sith the entire time), or color the presentation in a certain way (Chewie being "apolitical" sounds like they were trying to find a nicer sounding way of saying he's a mercenary at heart). Especially when it's being released along side the production when it's working more of the "promotional tie-in" angle than if it were a retrospective work.

SidneyIsTheKiller fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 1, 2020

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I just watched this and wow this was not good. I'm sure all the bad stuff has been talked about already. There was literally nothing memorable about this movie, besides the hilarious :frogout: dead face that rey makes (how the hell did she even die anyways).

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

christmas boots posted:

Yup. And I think BioWare came out with that expansion four years ago, or so? What was the point of rebooting the EU if you're just going to reuse it all?

So you can rip ideas off it and change enough to claim its yours while the original source is considered "non canon".

Of course that only works if you're successful :v:

Also now that I think about it they reused this idea twice in the ST. The First Order was supposed to be the true sith/empire to replace the Galactic Empire since it failed to protect Palpatine, and then they hit the panic button after TLJ and rehashed it again.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The thing about this movie is that while it's a mixture of very dumb stuff and some cool stuff, the cool stuff is scene specific and the dumb stuff taints the entire movie.

I still love the saber fight where Kylo and Rey are in two completely different locations though.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

christmas boots posted:

For one thing Palpatine was the ultimate villain the entire time rather than being shoehorned in the last one. It's also pretty clear from the first one that he's playing both sides to grant himself power. The execution leaves a lot to be desired but the through line of Palpatine's creating a conflict that he exploits to place himself in power destroy the Jedi is a pretty straightforward one. It seems pretty clear to me that the prequels were created with at least the skeleton of the overall arc already in mind, whereas the newer movies obviously did not have that.

Ah, you're right that Palpatine was a pretty consistent throughline for the PT - I kept thinking of Anakin's storyline which veered pretty wildly between movies.

I'll note that even Palps and his machinations were subject to curious dropped threads and reversals: the Sifo Diyas thing feels like a Chekhov's Gun that never got fired (even if it was always planned to simply be Count Dooku's alias and nothing more, the Star Wars prequels are the kind of movie you'd expect to tell you that emphatically, even if it was just "hello Count... or should I say SIFO DIYAS?"), Count Dooku himself feels like something of a false start (I believe Lucas admitted Dooku was originally planned to last much longer into Ep.III, and his death at the hands of Anakin much more instrumental in turning him to the dark side than was the case in the final film), and they were pretty clearly already setting up a more gradual physical transformation for the Chancellor in Ep.II before changing their mind.

That said, though, you could make a case that Palpatine is the actual main character of the prequel trilogy.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
The only way any of this makes sense IS if Palpatine is the main character.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I just watched this and wow this was not good. I'm sure all the bad stuff has been talked about already. There was literally nothing memorable about this movie, besides the hilarious :frogout: dead face that rey makes (how the hell did she even die anyways).

i know, right? it was just 2.5 hours of AND THEY WENT AND THEY WENT AND THEY WENT like a five year old explaining his toys

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
These 9 movies in retrospect are about how Palpatine’s behind it all and is nigh unkillable and probably survived this movie.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

That said, though, you could make a case that Palpatine is the actual main character of the prequel trilogy.

He's the main character of all Star Wars now.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

I maintain that the only media where an energy push type fight belongs is dragonball. gently caress this stupid poo poo in star wars and harry potter

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I maintain that the only media where an energy push type fight belongs is dragonball. gently caress this stupid poo poo in star wars and harry potter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-E6SyHq-yo&t=174s

:colbert:

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

I skipped around your 20 minute video and all I noticed was some characters humping around a giant bearded dragon.

Also mmos are bad and dumb

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I went and saw Rise of Skywalka a second time and the plot did make a little bit more sense this go-round. Clever move by JJ Abrams to require a second viewing to understand what's happening.

Observations:

(9) Daisy Ridley has FOURTH billing behind Adam Driver who's third and Carrie Fisher who has top billing. Mark Hamill is second billed

(10) After four years and three movies and half a dozen viewings between them, I can now finally recognize Rey and Kylo Ren's themes in the score. They ain't bad but they're often played way too subtly throughout the series. There's some kind of "friendship" theme new to this one that has a nice melody to it. I have bad short term memory when it comes to music so it's usually a good sign if I can actually tell what the themes are after just a couple watches.

(11) Rey really should've gotten a hand cut off at some point.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Can someone tell me why rey died. Is it because her gramps sucked off her and kylo

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

I went and saw Rise of Skywalka a second time and the plot did make a little bit more sense this go-round. Clever move by JJ Abrams to require a second viewing to understand what's happening.

Observations:

(1) While I still found no direct mention of the Emperor's pirate broadcast one-man radio show outside of the text crawl, it's a bit clearer that there was an intelligence effort to confirm the Emperor's continued existence, so they'd known about it one way or the other.

(2) Luke looks kind of like Sam Kinison in this one.

(3) I noticed that the big crowd of Sith-related peoples present for the Emperor's overhead spaceship destruction derby spectacular all perform the same type of chanting you hear in the background in many of Darth Maul's scenes in Episode I.

(4) They did a good job overall inserting unused footage of Carrie Fisher into the movie but there were a couple of times you could tell the focus, film grain, and/or color timing didn't quite match and she looked like a hologram or something.

What is wrong with you?

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

christmas boots posted:

I really hate this modern fiction brainworm that everything needs to be a giant scheme that's secretly been running in the background the whole time we swear we SWEAR. It basically never holds water when compared against the preceding events of the stories in which that device is abused, and even if it does, it still deflates any dramatic momentum because the protagonists' circumstances are no longer a product of their story decisions but the result of some shadowy will dragging them around by the nose, often for no discernable reason

With Star Wars in specific it's an emblem of their mortal terror of writing the story forward into something new

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

I'm jushappy that Oscar Issac and John Boyega no longer give a single gently caress.

I love it.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Oscar Isaac is the best. He's such a cool dude and I hope he gets to be the lead in a huge sci-fi or fantasy franchise that doesn't suck smelly goats sometime in the not so far future because he deserves it for getting messily thrown around by Kennedy and her Disney exec friends for years.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Oscar Isaac is the best. He's such a cool dude and I hope he gets to be the lead in a huge sci-fi or fantasy franchise that doesn't suck smelly goats sometime in the not so far future because he deserves it for getting messily thrown around by Kennedy and her Disney exec friends for years.

Is Metal Gear good enough

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Sucks that he got the role of Apocalypse and they threw him in a poo poo costume for a poo poo script with poo poo glued to his face so he had no way to actually act.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Is Metal Gear good enough

Metal Gear?!

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

He was excellent in Ex Machina and I hope he gets more roles that let him be a subdued maniac

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Don't know if he'll be the lead, but he's Duke Leto Atreides in the upcoming Dune movie

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Kazak posted:

He was excellent in Ex Machina and I hope he gets more roles that let him be a subdued maniac

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7C69HqnV8s

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015

I'll be careful.

Edit: I wouldn't put TOO much stock into copy from "The Art Of" book. I know it's official and all, but a lot of that type of stuff is a little hyperbolic to make whatever the subject is sound interesting, (the "real" sith - I mean, it's not like we've been watching "fake" sith the entire time), or color the presentation in a certain way (Chewie being "apolitical" sounds like they were trying to find a nicer sounding way of saying he's a mercenary at heart). Especially when it's being released along side the production when it's working more of the "promotional tie-in" angle than if it were a retrospective work.

My favorite thing that I've seen from the art/reference books is the new-production Y-wings made to look like the stripped-down ones the Rebellion canonically salvaged from scrap yards, with the uncharitably paraphrased explanation that that's the look people recognize as the real Y-wing.

That's just so petty.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Isaac was the best thing about Sucker Punch

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Kazak posted:

Ex Machina is a vastly underrated brilliant film. Alicia Vikander is so amazing in that movie too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

This is exactly what I was referring to