Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
in brigador, is very hard to wrap my head around the fact that i do not have 360° aim

my reticle is swinging wildly back and forth while i get shot to bits by ten thousand perfect motorcycles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Oh hey, it's cool that A Plague Tale and GRIS both won Steam awards, for whatever those are worth. GRIS is gorgeous to look at and both games have super underrated soundtracks.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Plague Tale is also legitimately an excellent game that I do not think got the attention it deserves.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It seems to have sold pretty well on Steam and has gotten a lot of year-end recognition from critics, but for whatever reason I don't think too many goons have played it yet.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Oxxidation posted:

in brigador, is very hard to wrap my head around the fact that i do not have 360° aim

my reticle is swinging wildly back and forth while i get shot to bits by ten thousand perfect motorcycles
What are you driving? The vast majority DO have 360 aim, but there are a few like the huge Rat King mech, or the Mongoose power suit, that do not.

Unless you meant turn speed is loving with you, which can take some getting used to (Speed slider can help with that, if you don't want to use a faster ride). Most rides with a "Turret" weapon will also have a much faster turn radius with that weapon specifically. Like the initial Touro mech needing to turn it's whole body for the main gun, but not for the turret.

There are also some specialty weapons like the "Archie" in the Main section, which just spams out low damage wide range AoE attacks so you don't have to even think about aiming too hard against swarms of motorcycles. EDIT: To underline how useful that can be if you are struggling to aim your favorite big boy at small stuff, it's what my casual rear end used alongside the "Giant building piercing shotgun" Kraken for my first successful Precursor James solo nobre run.

Though the two BIGGEST things to get used to? Firing elevation matters, and many weapons are only 98% accurate to your cursor rather than 100%. This is why a short slung ride can be a bit easier to learn with, because you can sweep weapons over infantry and enemy power suits more like a traditional twin stick game, while extra tall options need to be more precise to not over/under shoot.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jan 1, 2020

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Earn the Tuk Tuk Boom achievement.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

exquisite tea posted:

It seems to have sold pretty well on Steam and has gotten a lot of year-end recognition from critics, but for whatever reason I don't think too many goons have played it yet.
Which is a real shame. It's a great and charming little game. Not too heavy on the horror aspect of it all, but very tense and the rat swarms are legitimately eerie.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I just got a Tech Priest with an identical portrait to one of my others in Warhammer Mechanicus, and now I know I will never be able to tell these boys apart again.

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

a massive toolclown who cannot stop causing problems
As the sale winds down, I'm considering what to use my $5 coupon on, now that I've got one (and since it apparently can't be used on gifts). One possibility is to clean up a couple of the little cheap games on my wishlist that I've never just pulled the trigger on, OR I could use it on one of these four, if any of them is Really Great:

Katana ZERO
Whispers of a Machine
Supraland
Eastshade

Any thoughts?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Hwurmp posted:

I just got a Tech Priest with an identical portrait to one of my others in Warhammer Mechanicus, and now I know I will never be able to tell these boys apart again.
Individuality is for inferior fleshlings.

Occultatio posted:

Any thoughts?
Katana Zero is a very good game.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Occultatio posted:

As the sale winds down, I'm considering what to use my $5 coupon on, now that I've got one (and since it apparently can't be used on gifts). One possibility is to clean up a couple of the little cheap games on my wishlist that I've never just pulled the trigger on, OR I could use it on one of these four, if any of them is Really Great:

Katana ZERO
Whispers of a Machine
Supraland
Eastshade

Any thoughts?

katana zero is a perfect explosion of violence and bullet time with an amazing soundtrack and intriguing story; but it's only ~4 hours long and ends on a cliffhanger. there's gonna be (free?) DLC for it eventually but who knows when

Eastshade is a wonderfully chill game about exploring pretty landscapes, painting, and doing quests for various animal friends :unsmith: it's weirdly unoptimized though, or maybe it just runs like poo poo on my computer

both games are golden, just depends on what you're feeling like playing (haven't played the other two)

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

If you're looking for something that's just super chill and pretty Eastshade is pretty high up the list.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Buy theHunter so you can chill out with your animal pals then shoot them.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Here's my holiday STEAM sale haul and some thoughts:

Blasphemous:

Decently fun platformer/Soulslike with an incredible artstyle and mesmerising animations. Good lore too. Platforming mechanics feel a little stiff sometimes and my patience for Soulslike bossfights hasn't improved at all in the years I've been playing them. Will complete but I'm not gonna lie, I got a trainer to let me one hit kill a boss after I died a bunch of times one hit away from victory. I think I'm getting old.

Trailmakers:

Wonderful, wonderful vehicle building game. Has the simplest, cleanest creation system I've seen to date, a huge variety of blocks and just enough complexity to allow you to make some awesome vehicles without bogging you down in loads of technical stuff. The closest I've ever seen a game replicate the simple joys of building Lego creations. Solid multiplayer code, full Workshop integration and you can transform between four of your creations on the fly. Incredibly impressive, buy it if you love this sort of thing.

Katamari Damacy: Reroll

Having never played the original but always being intrigued by it, I was very excited to play Katamari on my PC. Lives up to the hype, but the game being locked to 30fps is crazy jarring to me. Chill, colourful, fun, with a boss-rear end soundtrack, I can totally see the appeal. Does a weird thing where it's locked to a window and you can't change your game settings until you've beaten the introduction. Control scheme is baffling but I think that's by intention.

Project Zomboid

Deep zombie survival game which really emphasises how vulnerable you are. You're no terminator and surviving even a small group of zombies is an achievement. Lives and dies on how willing you are to get immersed and make your own goals.

BUTCHER

Stylish and violent side-scroller which is a little too dark and muddy for its own good. Still very fun and reminds me of an ABUSE demake. Levels are dinky enough to get through a few in 10 - 20 minute bursts which makes this an ideal way to fill in a gap between doing other things.

Pathologic 2

(Technically I got this on GoG)

Not far into it yet but as someone who "enjoyed" the original, this seems like an incredibly smart re-imagining of the first game. Probably the most niche game ever, but it feels like what Ice Pick Lodge wanted to do for the game in the first place. They've truly grown as a developer and this is one incredibly impressive experience so far.

Games I've bought but not played yet: Battletech, Slay The Spire, Katana Zero

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rebel Blob posted:

The Steam Awards are transparently laughable.

Disco Elysium not winning Story-Rich Game?
Grand Theft Auto V winning Labor of Love?

It isn't even worth consideration.

Disco Elysium shouldn't win anything while Pathologic 2 draws its ragged breaths

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Disco Elysium put that pillow down. No not on Pathologic 2's face.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

A year where we get two of the best narrative games ever made.... can't we just have them tie for first place?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

wait doesn't Disco Elysium have a problem with ties, nevermind

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

All this talk of story-rich games and not one mention of Shadowbringers? Shameful.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

All this talk of story-rich games and not one mention of Shadowbringers? Shameful.

I'm in the middle of Stormblood right now and playing as fast as I can!

e: Also the top 10 list thread has like a million votes for Shadowbringers in it, which is cool

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

it would help if your post wasnt the first time I've ever even heard of this 'shadowbringers'

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

it would help if your post wasnt the first time I've ever even heard of this 'shadowbringers'

Final Fantasy 14: Shadowbringers is the latest expansion for this huge mmo, and people will not shut up about how it's the best jrpg story ever written, therefore I am playing an mmo for the first time ever

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Disco Elysium is actually enjoyable to play though and isn't stuck still using outdated game design like thinking having terrible combat that you can't avoid is a good idea.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You can engage in fisticuffs or start subscribing to racist phrenology. Your move, cop.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Synthbuttrange posted:

You can engage in fisticuffs or start subscribing to racist phrenology. Your move, cop.
I just did a sick jump instead.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

wait doesn't Disco Elysium have a problem with ties, nevermind

:hmmyes:

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Accordion Man posted:

I did the jump and went back to punch that guy in the face on principal because I rolled my hobocop like a bruiser. He caught my hand and crushed it but I did not submit :colbert:

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

thats way less of a shovelware cash in than i expected but it’s still an entirely vexing decision

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Accordion Man posted:

I tried that but chickened out at the last minute. That made me feel so bad I nearly went insane.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Hwurmp posted:

You can change the portrait if it really bothers you

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

StrixNebulosa posted:

Final Fantasy 14: Shadowbringers is the latest expansion for this huge mmo, and people will not shut up about how it's the best jrpg story ever written, therefore I am playing an mmo for the first time ever

idk if it tops the whole JRPG list, that's a wide pool, but the top of the Final Fantasies for sure. It's not even a contest anymore

(though I guess you have to excuse the "shadowbringers is behind All The Rest" parts, even if those parts are excellent)

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Ciaphas posted:

idk if it tops the whole JRPG list, that's a wide pool, but the top of the Final Fantasies for sure. It's not even a contest anymore (though I guess you have to excuse the "shadowbringers is behind All The Rest" parts, even if those parts are excellent)

What other JRPGs would you say contend with it? I haven't played much but I loved Shadowbringers and Tales of Berseria, so I'd love more games with writing on that level.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I tend to think of Berseria too, at least its story and writing; Tales gameplay has never done it for me

I also think of Lost Odyssey's vignettes a lot; and I know folks love Nier Automata, but I'm only just starting it myself (just through the Carnival) so it wouldn't be fair for me to place it

(saw the boss' ring attack and my first thought was "Hey, that's just like the FF14 rai -- ... wait" :v:)

(e) Anything older than that wouldn't be fair to place at present; too fogged by nostalgia

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Unfortunately the sane people of Earth will never know how FFXIV stacks up because anyone who plays an MMO for 300+ hours to see a JRPG story told through MMO cutscenes is a lunatic.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Randallteal posted:

Unfortunately the sane people of Earth will never know how FFXIV stacks up because anyone who plays an MMO for 300+ hours to see a JRPG story told through MMO cutscenes is a lunatic.

Your loss, man.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Randallteal posted:

it's not like FFXIV's cutscenes are any worse than those in most JRPGs :v:

the game starts slow but if you don't get sidelined by MMO Activities the main storyline is literally just, playing through the length of about four JRPGs; which is obviously a time commitment but not any more insane than playing all the trails in the sky games or whatever

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Rebel Blob posted:

Disco Elysium not winning Story-Rich Game?

Honestly, Plague Tale has a LOT of good press about its story too so that one I'm not so angry about despite loving Disco.

Most of the awards are hilariously terrible though. Half of the GOTY contenders had zero business being there and a ton of games weren't even from this year.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

dmboogie posted:

the game starts slow but if you don't get sidelined by MMO Activities the main storyline is literally just, playing through the length of about four JRPGs; which is obviously a time commitment but not any more insane than playing all the trails in the sky games or whatever

I'd call that well into the realm of insanity already, but then I'm the guy with 1300 hours in Warframe, a game I hate, so apparently I'm a massive loving hypocrite

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Crossniq is really scratching that Lumines itch, I'm really digging it except for one, intensely petty thing - the advanced tutorial teaches you that the faster you make crosses, the more points you get - except the tutorial doesn't actually register it and never finishes as a result. I did it immediately after leaving it though :v:

Synthbuttrange posted:

Disco Elysium put that pillow down. No not on Pathologic 2's face.

lol

There has never been a good Final Fantasy so not sure why Final Fantasy - Infinite Grind would be better :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

the ff14 devs are working on a crunch of the oldest content to get people up to the Good poo poo faster, for whatever that's worth